No announcement yet.

Chicago's tough new gun ordinance goes into effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmmmm... The Conservative Examiner newspaper. I wonder if they are as fair and balances as fox news. I'm sure they have a lot of articles that look fondly on dems
    Fire BAS and Hache Man. Don't forget Wayne1218 is a piece of garbage. Fest zit a total fraud still talks about me. You Trump voters tired of winning yet? Lmao

Comment

Originally posted by vitterd View Post
      Hmmmmm... The Conservative Examiner newspaper. I wonder if they are as fair and balances as fox news. I'm sure they have a lot of articles that look fondly on dems
      vitterd, it is Sunday ... Day of Rest ... Why not take one and today

Comment

i saw that a cop got shot in chicago getting on his motorcycle.

how about a federal law that if you are caught with a ILLEGAL gun, you go to jail for life. along with that, make it easy to get a registered and ballistic tested LEGAL gun.
        “A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

Gerald Ford

Comment

July 16, 2010
          Daley poll numbers sag, but no challenger looms

Share | Posted by Rick Pearson and Hal Dardick at 9 p.m.

More than half of Chicago voters say they don’t want to see Mayor Richard Daley re-elected next year should he decide to run for a record seventh term, a new Tribune/WGN poll shows.

The mayor has been buffeted by a spate of summer violence, a weak economy and a high-profile failure to land the 2016 Olympics. Dissatisfaction abounds, the survey found, over Daley’s handling of the crime problem, his efforts to rein in government corruption and his backing of a controversial long-term parking meter system lease.

As a result, the poll found only 37 percent of city voters approve of the job Daley is doing as mayor, compared with 47 percent who disapprove. Moreover, a record-low 31 percent said they want to see Daley re-elected, compared with 53 percent who don’t want him to win another term.

Still, city voters like the mayor’s pushes for more Wal-Mart stores and banning handguns, and Daley remains popular in the suburbs.

Daley’s long tenure in office — he was first elected in 1989 — also may have led to a fatigue factor among many city voters looking for change. Despite Daley’s unpopularity, no credible challenger has surfaced for a primary election that’s seven months away.

“I’m really hopeful that we are going to get somebody else,” said Harold Turrentine, 53, a Chicago firefighter who said he worked for Daley as a poll watcher in 1989. “I think he’s been in office too long.”

Daley has not said whether he will run again, though close allies expect him to be on the ballot.

The poll shows Daley — always a formidable political force — to be vastly weakened entering a potential re-election campaign. In Tribune polling conducted since 1994, voter support for the mayor’s re-election has tumbled dramatically, since peaking at 68 percent in 1999. A year prior to the 2007 election, a poll showed only 41 percent of voters backed Daley’s re-election — what had been the record low until the current survey.

Still, Daley’s overwhelming victory last time was another example of the old political axiom that you can’t beat someone with no one. He scored 71 percent of the vote against Cook County Circuit Court Clerk Dorothy Brown and African-American activist William “Dock” Walls. In 2003, Daley scored 79 percent.

A few aldermen are shopping themselves around as potential candidates, and some politicians with broader political bases have been glad to see their names tossed into the ring — but none has shown a willingness to challenge Daley.

“I believe there is a path to victory for someone who wished to challenge the mayor, but it has to be a credible candidate, and the path to victory is by no means certain,” said Ald. Joe Moore, 49th, a frequent Daley critic who plans to seek re-election to the City Council.

Among aldermen discussed as potential mayoral candidates are Robert Fioretti, 2nd; Sandi Jackson, 7th; Thomas Allen, 38th; Scott Waguespack, 32nd; Brendan Reilly, 42nd; and Thomas Tunney, 44th.

Earlier this year, White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel voiced his mayoral ambitions. But the former North Side congressman quickly added that he wouldn’t take on Daley, for whom he served as a strategist and fundraiser in the mayor’s first winning bid. Likewise, Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart said he won’t run for mayor unless the office is open.

Outgoing Cook County Assessor James Houlihan, by contrast, is considered a potential candidate whether or not Daley runs again. But a Houlihan challenge to Daley could result in a powerful alliance between the mayor and House Speaker Michael Madigan, D-Chicago. Madigan has long been at odds with Houlihan.

Former Chicago Inspector General David Hoffman also has been mentioned, but he just lost a grueling Democratic U.S. Senate primary.

In other major cities, business leaders have managed to defeat mayors with political backgrounds, but that’s considered unlikely in Chicago. “If the mayor still has a strong base of support, it’s among the business titans in the city,” Moore said.

The poll showed Daley’s problems transcend race in a city where it has historically played a major role in politics. African-American and white voters disapprove of Daley’s job performance at an identical rate of 49 percent.

Still, the survey found white support for Daley greater than among blacks. Just 22 percent of black voters want to see him re-elected, compared with 37 percent of whites.

Kristner D. Squalls, 22, said the mayor’s effort to secure the 2016 summer Olympics while crime battered the city and poor finances led to the controversial long-term lease of city parking meters “just turned me against” Daley.

“He was just so interested in getting the Olympics, even while everyone was getting shot,” said Squalls, a hair salon assistant who lives in South Shore and is a lifelong city resident. “He just has an ‘I don’t care’ attitude.”

Daley supporters say they think he’s done better than his counterparts across the country.
          “I do like how the city, from the mid-’80s until now, has developed, with the new housing and all,” said Valimir Juric, 54, a real estate investor who lives in Albany Park.

But Juric said he disagreed with the parking meter lease. Rates are too high, and the city could have made a better deal, he said. Four out of five voters surveyed disapprove of Daley’s handling of the parking meter lease, only a slight improvement from the 90 percent who disapproved almost a year ago.

On other issues, 68 percent of voters said they disapprove of Daley’s efforts to curb City Hall corruption, and 54 percent disapprove of the mayor’s handling of crime. Only one-third of voters approve of Daley’s crime-fighting efforts.

The poll of 500 registered city voters was conducted July 8-14 and has a margin of error of plus/minus 4.4 percentage points.
          While corruption has been a long-standing problem at City Hall, the poll found evidence of increasing concern among city residents about the safety of their neighborhoods.

Jackie Zeno, 60, of the Gold Coast, said she believes more police — and not surveillance cameras — are needed.
          “You don’t ever see a cop on the streets anymore,” she said. “All you see are blue lights. If you are getting mugged, what’s a blue light going to do for you?”

The poll found a pair of positives for Daley. Three-quarters of city voters approved of his efforts for more Wal-Marts in Chicago, while 56 percent backed his support for banning handguns. The U.S. Supreme Court recently gutted Chicago’s handgun ban ordinance.

There is a place where Daley remains popular: Outside the city limits. In the six-county suburban area, 56 percent of voters approve of the job Daley is doing, while only 26 percent disapprove.

Clout St: Daley poll numbers sag, but no challenger looms
          Last edited by Spark; 07-19-2010, 08:22 AM.

Comment

CHICAGO (AP) — A 62-year-old Chicago police officer less than a month from retiring was killed early Sunday as he returned home from an overnight shift, officials said.

Officer Michael Bailey was shot at about 6 a.m. outside his home on the city's South Side. He was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital and pronounced dead there.

Chicago officials say Bailey was cleaning his car when several people approached him and may have tried to steal the vehicle. No arrests have been made.

"He was coming home from work," Alderman Freddrenna Lyle said. "He had just bought a new car. He was out there shining up his new car and somebody accosted him."

Next month, Bailey would have turned 63, the mandatory retirement age for Chicago police. He was a 20-year veteran of the department.

Mayor Richard Daley called the shooting "absolutely outrageous."

"This is a tragic, stunning reminder of the senseless violence that stalks too many of our neighborhoods," Daley said in a statement. "Another Chicago police officer gunned down, this time just weeks before leaving a long career of protecting Chicago. ... Our prayers go out to the family of Officer Bailey. I knew him. He was a good man. He did not deserve this."

Bailey is the third officer to be shot and killed in Chicago since May.

Thor Soderberg, 43, was shot with his own gun on July 7 outside a police building on the South Side. Thomas Wortham IV, 30, was shot outside his parent's home on May 19 by men who were trying to steal his motorcycle. Suspects in both officers' shooting deaths have been charged with murder.

Wortham and Bailey both lived in Lyle's ward.

"How do you convince people to stay in a community when you have armed police officers shot down?" Lyle said. "It's devastating. ... It's like a war out here. I never thought that in my life it would be this way."

Comment

Originally posted by husker View Post
              i saw that a cop got shot in chicago getting on his motorcycle.

how about a federal law that if you are caught with a ILLEGAL gun, you go to jail for life. along with that, make it easy to get a registered and ballistic tested LEGAL gun.
              http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news...-dead-20100520
              Last edited by Spark; 07-19-2010, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spark View Post
                vitterd, it is Sunday ... Day of Rest ... Why not take one and today
                Ok. I took a full day of rest just for you. Now put down the conservative examiner
                Fire BAS and Hache Man. Don't forget Wayne1218 is a piece of garbage. Fest zit a total fraud still talks about me. You Trump voters tired of winning yet? Lmao

Comment

Ok. I took a full day of rest just for you. Now put down the conservative examiner
                  So you are saying that I should not read the Chicago Tribune???

Comment

This law doesn't stop law abiding citizens from having guns. It just doesn't do that. Hell u need to wait for permits for everything. Add a room on your house. You need permits. Law abiding citizens have to deal with nuisance wait periods with everything.

The reason that " criminals do it so we should be able to" is non sense.
                    No where in my argument did I say that because criminals can get illegal guns that I should be able to do so. You dont like the comparison to the pool to a gun as much as the comparison to permits for adding on to a house doesnt make sense. I can go and get a permit to add on to my house today! It will take 30 minutes in line and a little cash. IMO this is the same as it should be for gun permits. If I can prove that I am allowed to possess a fire arm there is no reasonable argument against giving it to me. Your argument that "if" this law saves a life that it is worth it is full of air. There is no possible way to quantify that it might save a life. If the law comes off the books and legal guns have zero waiting period what changes? I still have a kitchen knife...If I lose it and decide to kill my wife what's honestly stopping me? weapons are accessible even in the most pro-pacifism homes. It simply isnt going to stop the crimes...It only changes the vehicle by which the violence is administered.

PK
                    No thrills, frills, spills or write-ups. Just givin ya the winners everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by poskid View Post
                      No where in my argument did I say that because criminals can get illegal guns that I should be able to do so. You dont like the comparison to the pool to a gun as much as the comparison to permits for adding on to a house doesnt make sense. I can go and get a permit to add on to my house today! It will take 30 minutes in line and a little cash. IMO this is the same as it should be for gun permits. If I can prove that I am allowed to possess a fire arm there is no reasonable argument against giving it to me. Your argument that "if" this law saves a life that it is worth it is full of air. There is no possible way to quantify that it might save a life. If the law comes off the books and legal guns have zero waiting period what changes? I still have a kitchen knife...If I lose it and decide to kill my wife what's honestly stopping me? weapons are accessible even in the most pro-pacifism homes. It simply isnt going to stop the crimes...It only changes the vehicle by which the violence is administered.

PK
                      the criminals have the guns argument was put up somewhere in this posting forum... maybe not by you but it seems to be a common argument...

there is no way to see if this law saves a life.. that is true.. ive gone over that... but think it definately could.. and also....killing with a gun is much difft then a personal up close killing ...like using a knife. so that argument i dont really buy...

Please i would just like to know.. if you cant get a gun today.. does it really make a diference if u have to wait 30 days? really? what do u need a gun for today that cant wait thru the process? should we rely on one clerk at a desk to say.. " it all looks good to me.. here is your gun permit"?

im not sure where u live... but adding on an addition to your house certainly takes more then 30 mins and a little cash

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21 View Post
                        Any less shootings so far Spark?
                        KB, things are great in Chicago now with that new law ... see below ...

August 1, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- At least 14 people were shot over the weekend in Chicago. Three of them died, and two of those who were killed were related to Chicago police officers.

The shooting that claimed the lives of those two young men happened outside a party at approximately 2:30 a.m. Sunday in the 8400-block of South Euclid. Two other men were also wounded during that same shooting.

While one person was being questioned by police in connection with the shooting, murder charges had not been filed Sunday night.

For some, the Sunday morning attack killed the two best friends and wounded two of their other friends is proof the violence can touch anyone's life-- even those closest to the men and women sworn to serve and protect. The families of Reginald Reilly and Michael Chatman were reeling from their deaths Sunday. Almost inseparable since grade-school, the 22-year-olds were gunned down while hanging out at a friend's house.

While police say statistcs show violent crime is down, it doesn't seem that way to people who live in violent neighborhoods. Filled with sorrow and grief, friends and relatives were seeking comfort and peace Sunday after learning of the death of Reginald Reilly.

"Chicago has been diseased with this violence. It has to stop. Too many brothers and nephews and grandsons, they're dying for no reason," said Kathy O'Neil, Reginald Reilly's aunt. "We are destroying ourselves. I think alot kids don't realize that affect they are having families, and they need to."

Reilly, the 22-year-old son of a Chicago police officer was one of four best friends tragically targeted in a drive-by shooting as the group attended a friend's house party.

"Yesterday, he got off work early, and he decided to go to a friend's party. So, he went, and this is what happened. They took his life. They took our baby from us," grandmother Bertha Slater said.

Sunday afternoon, investigators canvassed the block where the shots rang out hours earlier. Witnesses tell police it was as Reilly went outside to greet his friend, Michael Chatman, and another man as they pulled up that two attackers in a passing red SUV opened fire.

"There is some activity regarding a possible SUV that was found nearby, and one subject was apprehended, and that investigation is ongoing," said Chicago police Asst. Superintendent Steve Peterson.

Reilly was pronounced dead at a Chicago area hospital. His family members say they have no idea who would want to shoot him or his friends.

Chatman, whose sister is a Chicago police officer, died after taking a bullet to the neck. A twin and one of seven children, the 22-year-old rail yard worker had just finished trade school and was also expecting the birth of his first child in the next few days.

"We had a lot going in terms of bonding as a mother and son and as a grandmother," said the victim's mother Peggy Chatman. "Even if I'm a mother of seven, it would have been the same if he was an only child."

"I wasn't aware of anybody that was after him or anything. It was a big shock," brother Steven Chatman told ABC7 Chicago.

And while two other friends wounded in the attack were fighting to heal Sunday, those who knew the deceased victims were left to struggle with their heartbreak and anger.

"None of us are immune to this. We're all affected, like we said before, by this disease called violence, and it has to stop. It has to stop today," said friend Angela McLaurin. "You need to know who your kids are hanging with. Keep tabs on your kids."

Reginald Reilly's family said he usually did not hang out late with friends. They say last night was the one night where he did, and it ended tragically.

In the meantime, Michael Chatman's girfriend is due to give birth any day with a baby boy that will be named after his father.

Calumet area detectives say they are investigating but have no motive for the crime. Police officials say although they are making some headway, they admit they are a long way from any charges.

In another part of town, four women were shot early Sunday while leaving a party on the city's West Side.

Shots rang out at Kells Park in the 3200-block of West Chicago Avenue after an apparent dispute between a group of men broke up a party.

The victims were with a group of women near Huron and St. Louis when a car pulled up and someone inside opened fire.

The most seriously injured was 20-year-old Darshell Sims. Sunday, her mother was asking anyone with information to come forward.

"If they don't do it for me, if they don't do it for Darshell, do it for her 1-month-old baby," said mother Renee Sims.

"It could happen to anybody. You could be here today and gone tomorrow. It's that easy. People was heartless in the streets. They don't care what they do or who they do it to," the victim's sister Darsheena Sims said.

Darsheena Sims witnessed the shooting but was not injured.

Chicago police did not have anyone in custody Sunday evening.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...cal&id=7586607

Comment

I read where a 13 year old on a bike in Chicago got riddled with 22 bullets a few days ago.

I dont know all the facts on this but a 13 year old doesnt get shot 22 times by mistake. These youngsters are asking for this shit by thinking they are the king of the hill and the ones who are shooting do not have any concern about hitting innocent bystanders.

I just wish I could find a leg holster for 1 of my AK 47's
                          He who wears diaper knows his shit - Confucius

Comment

Tough story to read Spark. They need to put these gang bangers to death

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21 View Post
                              Tough story to read Spark. They need to put these gang bangers to death
                              sending them to jail just puts them someplace where they have their own little community because there are so many of them there. that's not a deterrent. screw the ACLU, set up the chain gangs again. have them working 12 hours/day 7 days a week. that will teach them a work ethic! criminals need to be taught a lesson BEFORE they get into the gang banging.
                              “A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

Gerald Ford

Comment

Originally posted by husker View Post
                                sending them to jail just puts them someplace where they have their own little community because there are so many of them there. that's not a deterrent. screw the ACLU, set up the chain gangs again. have them working 12 hours/day 7 days a week. that will teach them a work ethic! criminals need to be taught a lesson BEFORE they get into the gang banging.
                                I was thinking a hanging, fire squad, electric chair, but what do i know? I'm just an old rascist huh vitter

Comment

Working...
                                X