Chicago's tough new gun ordinance goes into effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wayne1218 View Post
    You are right, so how does the law prevent that? It doesn't. The law is meaningless.
    Bingo! The only thing this law does is violate our 2nd Amendment right. That's why I have a problem with it vitterd. These are the laws we (U.S.) were founded on. There haven't been too many problems until lately when people have started trying to change those laws.

P.S. I think it is sad that I have to put U.S. after the "we" above because I'm not sure how some here will interpret that!

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218 View Post
      You are right, so how does the law prevent that? It doesn't. The law is meaningless.
      I just think there is a chance it could prevent some gun crimes. Maybe not a lot. It is not gonna prevent the gangbangers from getting guns illegally. No question about that.

There has been gun deaths in this country from kids finding guns in the house. Its possible trigger locks and training on gun safety may prevent some of that
      Fire BAS and Hache Man. Don't forget Wayne1218 is a piece of garbage. Fest zit a total fraud still talks about me. You Trump voters tired of winning yet? Lmao

Comment

Originally posted by vitterd View Post
        I just think there is a chance it could prevent some gun crimes. Maybe not a lot. It is not gonna prevent the gangbangers from getting guns illegally. No question about that.

There has been gun deaths in this country from kids finding guns in the house. Its possible trigger locks and training on gun safety may prevent some of that
        Is there a chance it could save a life or 2? Doubtful, but possible.

Is it possible it not save a life or 2? More then likely.

Don't have stats but I think it is a VERY fair assumption a majority of crimes are committed with illegal guns.

So the guy with the spotless criminal record who lives in the shitty neighborhood with all the illegal guns has to sweat out 30 days before he can potentially have to protect himself?

Comment

vitterd, i see what you are trying to say but i truly believe that there are more gun deaths due to illegal guns than kids finding guns.

I know that if one kid dies accidentally, it is 1 to many but I tend to believe that you have more of a chance of a father needing a gun to protect his family then a child killing himself by accident.
          And there is NO arguement that the "bad guys" will have the guns they want no matter what the law says.
          I think the law screws the "good guys" so to speak.
          jc Wishes He Can Get A Goat

Comment

I would be willing to bet there were more kid deaths at home from drowning. Should we also have a 30 day waiting period for pools and mandatory safety classes?

Comment

Originally posted by Jamaicanman View Post
              I would be willing to bet there were more kid deaths at home from drowning. Should we also have a 30 day waiting period for pools and mandatory safety classes?
              Another excellent point!

Comment

what does everyone think about a week to do a complete background check and have the gun registered?

the big problem is in states that have gun shows/sales where people can buy as many guns on the spot as they have money to pay for them. i'm not saying everything that goes on at these shows is bad, but the possibility is way too easy. i don't see why honest people would have a problem waiting a week to get a gun or two.
                “A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

Gerald Ford

Comment

it doesn't matter how someone gets a gun, they could wait a year. if they are careless about storing it, a child could get hurt. children will play with matches and can be injured or killed with them. you can't control responsibility!
                  “A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

Gerald Ford

Comment

Englewood Shooting Leaves 16-Year-Old Boy Dead
                    Updated: Thursday, 15 Jul 2010, 7:16 PM CDT
                    Published : Thursday, 15 Jul 2010, 1:25 PM CDT

Sun-Times Media Wire

Chicago - Anthony Cox, A 16-year-old boy died after being shot in the chest in the South Side Englewood neighborhood Thursday morning.

Cox, of 671 W. 66th St., was pronounced dead at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn at 7:46 a.m., according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's office.

The teen was shot in the chest at 6:54 a.m. at 747 W. 66th Pl., according to police News Affairs Officer Laura Kubiak.

A description of the shooter and details about the incident were not available Thursday evening.

Cox was former student of Robeson High School, 6835 South Normal Boulevard, according to Chicago Public Schools spokeswoman Monique Bond. Cox left the school in April for a non-CPS school.

Wentworth Area detectives are investigating.

Comment

2 teens shot to death

July 16, 2010

Two 16-year-old boys were fatally shot Thursday in separate incidents. Anthony Cox, a former Roberson High School student, was shot Thursday morning about a block from his home in the 600 block of West 66th. Jeremiah Sterling was shot in an alley near his home Thursday afternoon in the 11500 block of South May.

Comment

5 injured in overnight shootings in Chicago
                        July 15, 2010 | UPDATED STORY
                        Five people were injured in overnight shootings on Chicago's South and West sides, officials said.

The first shooting happened late Wednesday night in Chicago's South Shore neighborhood.

A 19-year-old man was struck by gunfire about 11:38 p.m. in the 7100 block of South Bennett Avenue in the city's South Shore neighborhood, police said.

When officers arrived at the scene, they found the victim with a gunshot wound to his right knee. The man was taken in stable condition to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, police said.

About 12:20 a.m., a 20-year-old man was shot in the leg in the Lawndale neighborhood on the city's West Side, police said.

The shooting happened in the 1200 block of South Avers, police said. The victim was taken in stable condition to Mt. Sinai Hospital.

Earlier Wednesday evening in the Lawndale neighborhood, a 22-year-old man was shot in his right eye, police said.

Shortly before 7 p.m., the victim was found shot in the face in the 3300 block of West Douglas Boulevard. Reports said he was shot by someone in a dark-colored van.

The man was taken in critical condition to Mt. Sinai Hospital.

Two women were shot about 1:12 a.m. in the Back of the Yards neighborhood, police said.

Police responded to the 5400 block of South Halsted Street and found a 36-year-old woman with a gunshot to her leg. Another woman, 32, suffered a gunshot wound to her foot.

Preliminary reports said the women were sitting in the back seat of a vehicle when someone approached and shot both victims. Both women were taken in stable condition to Provident Hospital of Cook County, police said.

No one is in custody for any of the shootings. Calumet Area, Harrison Area and Wentworth Area detectives are investigating.

Comment

I am sorta doubtful any of these guns that are used to shoot these people are obtained legally .... I wonder if they waited the 30-90 days to get them ...

Dickey, good job banning legally obtained guns in Chicago when controlling the illegal ones are impossible ....

Wayne I agree with you all the way ...

Comment

Mayor Watcher on July 15, 2010 7:01 AM
                            Mr. Mayor,

I see that Chicago had more of its citizens shot last evening. Obviously your new gun ordinance is working well!
                            The "bad guys" are following the ordinance to the letter...

Oh, never mind, they could care less about your ordinance!

Mr. Mayor, remember this:

Guns DO NOT kill people ... PEOPLE kill people!

Oh, and by the way, how many weapons do you own Mr. Mayor???

Juan Fledo on July 15, 2010 7:06 AM
                            Of course they were injured they were shot. The city is down 300 offcrs and about 50 sargents are retiring this month. Did you see those 20 some year olds in the graduating class? They will save the city. And crime is down and morale is up says Jody.

ray b on July 15, 2010 7:29 AM
                            I guess if you stay away from certain neighborhoods Chicago wouldn't be a bad place to live.For 50 years we've been pouring tax dollars into those areas and nothing changes.

Mike on July 15, 2010 8:03 AM
                            Hey Juan... The department is down close to 3000 not 300. But that's ok, Jody & the Mayor have everything under control

ms k on July 15, 2010 9:08 AM
                            This is all so stupid not everyone person shot or killed belongs to a gang or is a drug dealer. People tend to live where they can afford to live. I happen to live in a very nice suburb where the crime rate is very low and violent crimes basically don't happen. As for tax dollars and I feel that I'm being taxed to point that I would call it criminal. Use my tax dollars to fund unemployment and to take care of people who have been downsized outsourced and seniors who have worked all of their lives retired and can't live off their pensions due to no fault of their own. And not to support people who have never contributed one dime to this country. As far as guns go and I have a foid and believe in the right to own a gun,but I also know that in the State of Il if you have a foid card you can buy 12 guns per year. If you are not a collector why would you need to buy 12 guns per year? If you want to own a gun to protect you and yours you only have 2 hands its all about the money$$$$$$$$.When people are buying 12 guns a year it is very likely that some of them will end up in the wrong hands. I remember several instances where innocent people we're killed buy nuts who got there hands on guns. Yes people kill people however usually with a gun not a knife or stick. Ponder that. I rarely agree with Daley and actually have little respect for him as mayor of the city that does not work. But I agree that there has to be some control. That being said I think that they need to re-instate the draft and give these idiots somewhere to go like to the military so they can become men. And not the thug cowards that they are.When we had a draft you could go outside and feel safe.

Dave L on July 15, 2010 9:22 AM
                            Yep, every single morning the first thing I do is read the breaking news. Every single morning it's the same story; 3-4 people shot in Lawndale, 3-4 shot in Back of the Yards, maybe a few in Humboltd or Garfield Park.

Every single one of these crimes is the result of street gangs. Every single street gang lives and dies by selling illegal drugs. Since we know from 85 years of experience that outlawing drugs won't stop the supply or the demand, why don't we try a new policy that will strip the gangs of their funds?

Albert Einstein once said "The definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing over and over, and then expecting different results." After 85 years of prohibition failing to prevent users from obtaining their drug of choice, failing to prevent sellers from importing it, failing to prevent politicians and police from being corrupted by the money, one would think our society would consider a different strategy as many other countries are.

The gangs are spreading like wildfire throughout the suburbs and even the rest of the country. Do we really want every neighborhood in Chicago to eventually become a warzone?

rpb on July 15, 2010 9:58 AM
                            This has nothing to do with gun control it has to do with control. We have done our part to have the gun ban struck down and just as quickly it was put back up. You have a choice now vote these clowns out of office and if they turn into clowns vote them out, Unless you wish to continue to be slaves to the PARTY it's your city take control of it in November.

val love on July 15, 2010 10:08 AM
                            THESE ARE ALL AREAS WITH POLICE CAMERAS WHA REALLY GOING ON IS THIS JUST SABATOGE WHOM EVER IN THE WRONG PLACE AT THE WRONG TIME. AGAIN THESE PHONEY CAMERAS THAT ONLY CATCH RED LIGHTS OF INNOCENT PEOPLE WHO CAN PAY THE CITY JODI, RICHIE WHAT'S UP YOU TALK ABOUT NEW CAMERAS FOR WHAT?

Thelma or Louise on July 15, 2010 11:31 AM
                            ray b: "For 50 years we've been pouring tax dollars into those areas and nothing changes."

What does that mean? What "tax dollars" have been "poured" into "those areas" for 50 years?

ChiCityMatt on July 15, 2010 12:42 PM
                            I noticed Irak's comment above. I'm not going to dispute what you're saying about a disproportionate number of the shootings ocurring on the South and West sides.

Then you go on to say it's the same neighborhoods. Explain to me, are you basically saying the south side is one neighborhood and the west side is one neighborhood? That's the argument that a lot of people try to make. When speaking of the northside, a lot of people are really referring to the lakefront communities. Again, i agree with you that neighborhoods like Englewood, Roseland, Little Village, Greater Grand Crossing, South Shore, South Chicago, Marquette Park, Back of the Yards, Austin, and Garfield Park have a majority of the shootings. However, you fail to realize that the southside and westside (particularly the southside, because that's where i live) have plenty of neighborhoods that do not have lots of shootings. Most of the shootings that are written about the paper are occuring in neighborhoods outside of Hyde Park, Kenwood, Oakland, Bridgeport, Chinatown (Armour Square), Canaryville, Chatham, Ashburn, Beverly, Morgan Park, Mt. Greenwood, Pullman (separate neighborhood from West Pullman), Avalon Park, Calumet Heights.

So please don't try to paint the southside as one big ghetto when you probably don't know much about it. Just like i don't assume all neighborhoods up north are like lincoln park, lakeview, bucktown, and wicker park. Cause there are plenty of areas up north that have high crime: Humboldt Park, Uptown, Rogers Park, Hermosa, Belmont-Craigin. Each of the 3 sides of this city (South, North and West) have nice neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods. I get so tired of people acting like once you go south of downtown it's like the wild wild west everywhere.

Do your research and you'll find that some of safest parts of Chicago are on the southside. Beverly and Mt Greenwood consistently are ranked in the safest neighborhoods in Chicago and their both on the southside and they are both diverse.

joe on July 15, 2010 1:43 PM
                            Although the recent death of the police officer is tragic, even more sickening is the daily supply of shootings and deaths in this city.

It's going to be hot this weekend and I'll bet dollars to doughnuts (no oun intended) there will be more than 50 shot this weekend.

Again, the death of the police officer was awful but pales in comparison to the war being waged on the south and west side.

Mr Angry on July 15, 2010 1:47 PM
                            Guns DO kill people, and they ride around in dark vans at night stalking their victims. We need to ban dark vans! Then they wouldn't be able to go out and create such mayhem.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamaicanman View Post
                              I don't believe that is a fair analogy. I don't think parents have to hide the pool to keep it from the kids. Parents are more likely to get a pool if the kids can swim. Or teach them. They are not likely to teach them gun safety. Also most twsp require a fence around the pool and pool locks on the ladder and so forth. Do u think they pool owners ban together and protest that? Of course not

Also kb where does this violate your 2nd amendment right? It doesn't stop u from the right to bear arms. Also I don't understand why we just can't agree it is a stupid amendment written in completely difft time before police forces and street lights. You know the old line. Freedom of speech but u can't yell fire in a movie theatre.
                              Fire BAS and Hache Man. Don't forget Wayne1218 is a piece of garbage. Fest zit a total fraud still talks about me. You Trump voters tired of winning yet? Lmao

Comment

Why is it not a fair analogy? Cause Jman's post makes perfect sense?

Comment

Working...
                                X