Chicago's tough new gun ordinance goes into effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vitterd View Post
    I don't believe that is a fair analogy. I don't think parents have to hide the pool to keep it from the kids. Parents are more likely to get a pool if the kids can swim. Or teach them. They are not likely to teach them gun safety. Also most twsp require a fence around the pool and pool locks on the ladder and so forth. Do u think they pool owners ban together and protest that? Of course not

Also kb where does this violate your 2nd amendment right? It doesn't stop u from the right to bear arms. Also I don't understand why we just can't agree it is a stupid amendment written in completely difft time before police forces and street lights. You know the old line. Freedom of speech but u can't yell fire in a movie theatre.
    Shocking that you don't think it's a fair analogy.
    The point of the post is that it is damn near impossible to regulate responsibility.

And to KB's point. a 30 day waiting period now. How about 1 year? 2 years? I don't agree with your point that "as long as you can still have your guns" all is well. By that standard, couldn't they make you do 30 pul ups and 40 push ups for receiving a gun? How about a certain blood pressure?

Comment

Originally posted by Spark View Post
      5 injured in overnight shootings in Chicago
      July 15, 2010 | UPDATED STORY
      Five people were injured in overnight shootings on Chicago's South and West sides, officials said.

The first shooting happened late Wednesday night in Chicago's South Shore neighborhood.

A 19-year-old man was struck by gunfire about 11:38 p.m. in the 7100 block of South Bennett Avenue in the city's South Shore neighborhood, police said.

When officers arrived at the scene, they found the victim with a gunshot wound to his right knee. The man was taken in stable condition to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, police said.

About 12:20 a.m., a 20-year-old man was shot in the leg in the Lawndale neighborhood on the city's West Side, police said.

The shooting happened in the 1200 block of South Avers, police said. The victim was taken in stable condition to Mt. Sinai Hospital.

Earlier Wednesday evening in the Lawndale neighborhood, a 22-year-old man was shot in his right eye, police said.

Shortly before 7 p.m., the victim was found shot in the face in the 3300 block of West Douglas Boulevard. Reports said he was shot by someone in a dark-colored van.

The man was taken in critical condition to Mt. Sinai Hospital.

Two women were shot about 1:12 a.m. in the Back of the Yards neighborhood, police said.

Police responded to the 5400 block of South Halsted Street and found a 36-year-old woman with a gunshot to her leg. Another woman, 32, suffered a gunshot wound to her foot.

Preliminary reports said the women were sitting in the back seat of a vehicle when someone approached and shot both victims. Both women were taken in stable condition to Provident Hospital of Cook County, police said.

No one is in custody for any of the shootings. Calumet Area, Harrison Area and Wentworth Area detectives are investigating.
      I think Chicago needs more parking spaces. Looks like a lot of angry neighbors going off on each other
      You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning

Comment

The analogy is not fair and doesn't make sense. U can't grab a pool and kill someone with it. Also I explained. Most places u need a permit and have to follow all the procedures to put a pool in. Fences. Locks and so forth. So in a sense there is a waiting period for a pool. U have to file for it and follow all the regualations.
        Fire BAS and Hache Man. Don't forget Wayne1218 is a piece of garbage. Fest zit a total fraud still talks about me. You Trump voters tired of winning yet? Lmao

Comment

Originally posted by PhilJr View Post
          I think Chicago needs more parking spaces. Looks like a lot of angry neighbors going off on each other
          That was just one example. Also gave u the road rage example. I wouldn't expect u to understand. Most stuff I've seen u reply to has gone right past you. I was citing that as one possibility. Obviously its not the norm but once again it went right over you
          Fire BAS and Hache Man. Don't forget Wayne1218 is a piece of garbage. Fest zit a total fraud still talks about me. You Trump voters tired of winning yet? Lmao

Comment

The part about not being able to have a gun outside the house is probably the dumbest thing ever for Dickey .... if you can't take your gun out of the house to a gun range how can you learn how to handle it ... All Daley is doing is trying to add enough red tape to gun ownership to keep most of the law abiding citizens from being able to attain it.....

Let's see ... John is in his back yard doing lawn work ... he hears his daughter getting attacked in the alley ... he screams out to the daughter, "HANG ON A SECOND HONEY, I HAVE TO GO IN THE HOUSE AND GET MY WEAPON"

Comment

The analogy is not fair and doesn't make sense. U can't grab a pool and kill someone with it. Also I explained. Most places u need a permit and have to follow all the procedures to put a pool in. Fences. Locks and so forth. So in a sense there is a waiting period for a pool. U have to file for it and follow all the regualations.
              Analogy not fair to you.

Doesn't make sense to you.

Doesn't mean it isn't fair or understandable. Figured you would avoid the comment about the govt's role in personal responsibility. Safe to assume you are for the govt lowering sodium in all products.

This is more about the govt trying to regulate behavior then it is about guns imo.

Lastly, you don't have a constituitional right to a pool. Same a driving. So of course there are rules,regulations and restrictions on things that are a priviledge like driving and a pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamaicanman View Post
                Analogy not fair to you.

Doesn't make sense to you.

Doesn't mean it isn't fair or understandable. Figured you would avoid the comment about the govt's role in personal responsibility. Safe to assume you are for the govt lowering sodium in all products.

This is more about the govt trying to regulate behavior then it is about guns imo.

Lastly, you don't have a constituitional right to a pool. Same a driving. So of course there are rules,regulations and restrictions on things that are a priviledge like driving and a pool.
                You brought up the pool thing. I just showed u why it is a silly comparison. I've heard all the crazy arguments. Guy kills family with icepick. Do we need icepick control. Those kind of arguments just throw common sense out the window. Often the fringe group opposing something will come up with arguments that sound neat but when thought about are often quite silly

Also personal responsibility is important factor but its not everything. U need to have some guidelines. Unfortuantely we live amongst a lot of morons. " Gee I didn't know I needed to use a safety lock, there is no law that tells me I have to"." Therfore I'm sorry the neighbors kid got shot but I'm off the hook."

Again none of this law takes away your right to bear arms. Which is why this will hold up in any court. I'm sure the gun owners are already trying to sue

Comment

New Laws are working great Kb .... Daley sure is sticking it to the bad guys ... Great Job Dickey .....

2 dead, at least 16 wounded in overnight shootings

July 17, 2010 10:43 AM | 1 Comment | UPDATED STORY
                  Two people were killed and at least 15 people were wounded in a spate of shootings across the city late Friday and early this morning, Chicago police said.

A man was fatally shot in the head at 12:34 a.m. on the West Side in West Garfield Park, according to police News Affairs Officer Ron Gaines. The shooting occurred in the 3900 block of West Wilcox Street. The 28-year-old man, identified as Reggie Coles, 1200 block of North Keeler Avenue, was pronounced dead at Mount Sinai Hospital.

Separately, a man was killed and a woman wounded in a shooting that happened about 10 minutes later in the 2100 block of North Springfield Avenue in the Logan Square neighborhood, police said.

The man, thought to be in his 20s, was shot in the abdomen in the and was taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead. Although the a spokesman for the Cook County medical examiner's office confirmed the fatality, they could not release his identity, pending notification of relatives.

The woman shot with him suffered a graze wound and was taken to a hospital, but her age and condition were not immediately known, police said. A suspect in that shooting was taken into custody.

At least 15 other people were wounded in other shootings across the city.

At 10:09 p.m. Friday in the Longwood Manor neighborhood on the Far South Side, a 38-year-old man was shot in the buttocks in the 9600 block of South Carpenter Street, Gaines said. He was taken to MetroSouth Medical Center in Blue Island, he said.

Less than half an hour later at about 10:30 p.m., a man in his 20s was shot in his right leg at West 31st Place and South Ashland Avenue in the Lower West Side, Gaines said. He was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, said Gaines, who did not immediately known his condition.

At 10:49 p.m., two men were shot in the Chicago Lawn neighborhood in the 2500 block of West 63rd Street, Gaines said. One man suffered a gunshot wound to his leg while the other suffered a graze wound to his chest, he said. It was not immediately known the extent of their injuries or to which hospital they were taken.

A little before midnight, a man in his 20s was shot in the chest in the Back of the Yards, police News Affairs Officer Hector Alfaro said. The man was shot at South Seeley Avenue and West 48th Street, police said. It was not immediately known to which hospital he was taken.

At 12:17 a.m., two men were playing a game of dice in the 1200 block of West 81st Street when two other men rode by on bicycles and shot them, according to Gresham District police. A 21-year-old man was shot in the lower back and taken in critical condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn and a 22-year-old man suffered a gunshot wound to his right thigh and was taken in good condition to Saint Bernard Hospital and Health Care Center, police said.

About 12:30 a.m. a man was shot in the abdomen in the Washington Heights neighborhood in what appeared to be a domestic-related incident, Gaines said. The man was shot in the 10200 block of South May Street and taken to Advocate Christ, Gaines said.

About 1 a.m., a 17-year-old girl was shot multiple times, and at least once in her abdomen, Harrison District police said. The girl claimed she was being chased by a male in the 4600 block of West Van Buren Street although the girl's story conflicts with witness accounts, police said. She was taken to Mount Sinai.

Around 3 a.m., a 41-year-old man was shot in the leg in the 1900 block of West Division Street in Wicker Park, Gaines said. The man was taken in good condition to Saints Mary and Elizabeth Medical Center, he said.

An hour later, two men -- ages 35 and 27 -- were shot in the 5100 block of North Broadway in the Uptown neighborhood, police said. The 35-year-old was shot in the left leg, and the 27-year-old was shot in the right arm. Both were taken to Illinois Masonic, but their conditions were unavailable.

About 15 minutes later in the Little Village neighborhood, two more men -- ages 31 and 28 -- were shot in the 2700 block of South Troy Street, police said. The 31-year-old was shot in the back and the 28-year-old was shot in the abdomen. Both victims were taken to Mount Sinai for treatment, but their conditions were unavailable.

Meanwhile at 5:20 a.m., a 29-year-old man was shot after leaving a store in the 7900 block of South Ingleside Avenue in the East Chatham neighborhood when a person fired several shots, striking the man in the neck, police said. He was taken to Advocate Christ, police said, but they had no condition available for him.

Area detectives are investigating.
                  Last edited by Spark; 07-17-2010, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Again, no reasonable person would think the law is gonna stop a lot of these shootings. Again, u will never hear about the ones that it does actually stop. All these posts of shootings tells us in what is going on in every major city in the us.

Nobody has yet to answer the question on how we can possibly know when the new law stops a shooting. Therefore your posts about people getting shot are pretty meaningless

Comment

Therefore your posts about people getting shot are pretty meaningless
                      Just like this new law...

Comment

Vitter...The problen is that you say that quantifying the issue of how many crimes commited by legal guns isnt possible. However quantifying the number of crimes with illegal guns is. Law abiding citizens have the right to protect themselves from criminals by having readily available means. The government is overstepping it's bounds and is bordering upon not doing it's charged duties of protecting people by regulating firearms to this extent. You will never change my mind or anyone else's on this matter. The criminals have their guns and I have mine. The difference is that I dont go and find criminals with mine.
                        No thrills, frills, spills or write-ups. Just givin ya the winners everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by poskid View Post
                          Vitter...The problen is that you say that quantifying the issue of how many crimes commited by legal guns isnt possible. However quantifying the number of crimes with illegal guns is. Law abiding citizens have the right to protect themselves from criminals by having readily available means. The government is overstepping it's bounds and is bordering upon not doing it's charged duties of protecting people by regulating firearms to this extent. You will never change my mind or anyone else's on this matter. The criminals have their guns and I have mine. The difference is that I dont go and find criminals with mine.
                          This law doesn't stop law abiding citizens from having guns. It just doesn't do that. Hell u need to wait for permits for everything. Add a room on your house. You need permits. Law abiding citizens have to deal with nuisance wait periods with everything.

The reason that " criminals do it so we should be able to" is non sense.

Comment

This law doesn't stop law abiding citizens from having guns. It just doesn't do that. Hell u need to wait for permits for everything. Add a room on your house. You need permits. Law abiding citizens have to deal with nuisance wait periods with everything.

The reason that " criminals do it so we should be able to" is non sense.
                            I must have been asleep in history class the day they talked about the "house addition" amendment now in the Consituition.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamaicanman View Post
                              I must have been asleep in history class the day they talked about the "house addition" amendment now in the Consituition.
                              Jman when are u gonna learn to understand the constitution? Do we have to go over the free speech but u can't say fire in a crowded theatre. Enuff with trying to use that in your argument. Which isn't even an argument because for the 100th time THIS LAW DOESNT TAKE THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS AWAY!! Why is this so hard to understand? Both points

Comment

Therefore your posts about people getting shot are pretty meaningless

Might not be too meaningless if you lived there ...

The End of Chicago's Daley Dynasty? 53% of Chicagoans say Don't Run Again, Mayor Daley

July 17, 5:03 PMDuPage County Conservative ExaminerScott Pa

The End of the Chicago Daley Dynasty appears near
                                Yahoo photoWBBM-AM radio station in Chicago reports that a Tribune poll says: “More than half of Chicagoans don’t want Mayor Richard M. Daley to seek re-election.”

According to the survey cited by the CBS-affiliated 24-hour-a-day news outlet at 780 on the AM radio dial in the Midwest, 53% of surveyed Chicagoans indicated that they do not want Mayor Daley to run for the position of Chicago mayor again. Only 31% of the respondents to the poll said they want Daley to run again.

Only 37% approve of the job Mayor Richard Daley is doing as the Mayor of the third largest city in the United States while 47% disapprove.

WBBM-AM reported that the major concerns of citizens are: the crime and violence in the city, the lost Olympic bid for 2016, and the recent parking meter fiasco which extremely irritated Chicago motorists throughout the city.

Comment

Working...
                                X