Chicago's tough new gun ordinance goes into effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago's tough new gun ordinance goes into effect

CHICAGO – A new gun ordinance in Chicago that officials say is the strictest of its kind in the country went into effect on Monday.

The ordinance was pushed through quickly by Mayor Richard Daley and the City Council after the U.S. Supreme Court last month made the city's 28-year-old handgun ban unenforceable. The high court ruled that Americans have the right to have guns in their homes for protection.

The ordinance permits residents to have only one working gun at a time in their homes and prohibits them from stepping outside, even onto their porches or in their garages, with a handgun.

Following the lead of Washington, D.C., which enacted a strict ordinance after the Supreme Court struck down its gun ban two years ago, Chicago also requires prospective gun owners to take a class and receive firearms training.

Chicago's ordinance also bans gun shops from setting up shop in the city and bars anyone convicted of a violent crime, domestic violence or two or more convictions for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs from owning a handgun.

Also starting Monday is a 90-day grace period in which residents who owned handguns illegally during the ban can register them without penalty.

Chicago's ordinance was widely criticized by gun rights advocates, who have said the city is simply trying to make it as difficult as it can for people to own guns and putting up unconstitutional roadblocks in their way. They promised lawsuits and last week, even before the ordinance went into effect, at least two lawsuits were filed challenging the constitutionality of the ordinance.

City officials have said they believe the lawsuit is constitutional and that the Supreme Court specifically ruled that local jurisdictions have the right to impose reasonable regulations and restrictions.

Spark, I'm sure this will totally take all the shootings down to 0 in your area. Please keep me posted

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21 View Post
      Spark, I'm sure this will totally take all the shootings down to 0 in your area. Please keep me posted
      doesnt have to take it to zero... if it stops one... it was worth it
      Fire BAS and Hache Man. Don't forget Wayne1218 is a piece of garbage. Fest zit a total fraud still talks about me. You Trump voters tired of winning yet? Lmao

Comment

Originally posted by vitterd View Post
        doesnt have to take it to zero... if it stops one... it was worth it
        I'm sure Spark will keep us posted

Comment

It is a joke ... Lawsuits are coming in already .... Time to allow someone else to run this city ...

Comment

It is impossible to know... really...even if it turns out it does prevent something... anything... i doubt you will hear about it from nra and gun right guys... they will attribute the success to something else
            Fire BAS and Hache Man. Don't forget Wayne1218 is a piece of garbage. Fest zit a total fraud still talks about me. You Trump voters tired of winning yet? Lmao

Comment

Originally posted by vitterd View Post
              It is impossible to know... really...even if it turns out it does prevent something... anything... i doubt you will hear about it from nra and gun right guys... they will attribute the success to something else
              Excuses already? Come on vitter, you're better than that.

Comment

Im not giving excuses... but please tell me how you will know if this law saves one life... do u ever hear about an almost shooting? I think it will help but it will be hard to prove ...that being said if gun deaths in a certain area is 85 and then a year after this law it is 84 it doesnt mean it was becuase of this law... im just sayin i dont think there is a true way to measure success ... by the numbers at least

Comment

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

Gerald Ford

Comment

If it does save lives do you think the gun nuts will be out talking about how this law worked... cmon.. u know better...

Comment

glad I live in Oklahoma
                      updated thru 4/04 play

CFB: (0-1) 1.05 units
                      NFL: (0-0) 0.0 units

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Thrill View Post
                        glad I live in Oklahoma
                        No joke! May go home and fire off one in each hand just cause I can

Comment

Bottom line is simple.The criminals have guns.Why shouldnt law abiding,tax paying citizens be able to legally own and use them for personal protection.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Country 5 View Post
                            Bottom line is simple.The criminals have guns.Why shouldnt law abiding,tax paying citizens be able to legally own and use them for personal protection.
                            BINGO!!!

Comment

No joke! May go home and fire off one in each hand just cause I can

NO CHANCE

You would have to put your beer down to do that

Comment

Working...
                              X