How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To cont:
    The most well known Greek God-hero was the one known as Hercules (the Latinised form of the Greek "Heracles"), whose most distinguishing characteristic was immense physical strength. Interestingly enough, the "Encyclopedia of the Classical World, " states, " The tales of his heroic deeds lend to the supposition that Hercules was originally an historic figure." Who do we know in the Bible that exhibits a like characteristic? The answer, of course, is the Israelite hero known as Samson, whose life was detailed in the Bible in Judges chapters 13 through 16.

One important event in Hercules' life involved his escaping from the clutches of a symbolic woman, who is called "Pleasure." This corresponds directly to the troubles Samson got himself involved in with the harlots of Canaan.

But the most celebrated event in the life of Hercules involved the labours he was ordered to perform by God through the Oracle of Delphi. (Incidently, "12" was an important divine number in Hebrew religion.) What do you suppose was the very first labour Hercules had to perform? You might have guessed it! He had to slay a lion with his bare hands! Let's read a paragraph from the book, "God 's Heroes and Men of Ancient Greece " by W.H.D.Rouse:

Heracles threw down his bow and arrows and leapt upon the lion's back ... while he put his hands round the lion's neck ... gripped the lion's throat with his two hands, and bending him backwards, throttled him. There lay the lion dead on the ground. " (p. 59). In our Bible, Judges 13:6 says that Samson actually tore the lion in two, but the ancient historian Flavius Josephus in his "Antiquities of the Jews " also tells us that Samson first strangled the lion, which is exactly as Hercules is said to have done. I don't even know if there ever were any lions in Greece. The Biblical Archaeologist Magazine somewhat tersely comments, "Lions, we may remark are not frequent in Greece." (59:1,p.17). In fact, the Greek myths explain this one away as the offspring of a monster! But whether there were lions in Greece is not important; Hercules needed to find one anyway. Why? Simply because the Biblical Samson inspired the Greek legend called Hercules, and provided the basis for his life!

Another of Hercules' labours involved his live capture of a wild animal, which he brought home and threw at the feet of Eurystheus. In Judges 15:4, Samson is said also to capture live wild animals, which he released in the cornfields of the Philistines.
    A fascinating bit of additional information regarding Hercules is his connection with the Biblical tribe of Dan. The Bible Samson was born of the tribe of Dan. (Judges l3:2-25) Greek history tells us that a people called 'Danioi' came to trade and colonise Greece in ancient times, settling in a region called 'Argos.' The word Hercules in Greek is, 'Heracles,' which is virtually identical with the Hebrew plural word for traders,'Heraclim,' and Heracles is said to have come from 'Argos,' himself. The Greek myths tell that the Danioi were descended from a patriarch 'Danaos' who was the son of 'Bel,' and sailed from Egypt. In the Bible, the Hebrew patriarch Dan was the son of the concubine 'Bilhah'(Genesis 30:3-6), and the Israelites were in Egypt at the time that 'Danaos' set sail to Greece from there! Heracles, further, is said to marry a girl named 'Hebe,' an obvious and well-known short form of the word, Hebrew! Since the tribe of Dan were traders and colonists who did so much sailing that they "stayed in their ships " (Judges 5:17), it is not surprising to find such connections with ancient Greece.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by grandmama View Post
      touching on the point I made earlier regarding ancient people taking stories from others and making it their own; I present to you a section of the Labours of Heracles a story that looks similar to that of Adam and Eve. He had to do 12 labours to recieve pennance for slaying his son, the 11th was: for him to fetch the "Apple" of Hesperides (which was a female nymphor spirit). She had a garden(The Garden of the Hesperides) which held the "apple" that he was supposed to retrieve so he could gain his pennance. I attached a bit of the story below. Please read.
      Hercules' Eleventh Labor: the Apples of the Hesperides
      I don't get it. Is that Greek mythology? And if so how do you know which was written first?

Mythology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

It is clear that early Greek mythology shows evidence of not only Hebrew, but Canaanite, Assyrian, and Babylonian religious culture. That the Greek religion could have influenced so many streams of different Semitic culture may seem incredible until we remember that Israelite religion was also influenced by these same foreign nations. This heavily mixed amalgam may therefore have been brought to Greece by the Hebrews themselves, and vice-versa.
        The story of the Noahic Flood is also told in Greek mythology, where Deucalion and Pyrrha built a wooden "chest" to save them. Historian Olive Beaupre Miller, in "A Picturesque Tale of Progress " says, "The similarity of these flood stories [Greek and Hebrew] is interesting. Here, as in the Bible, the flood is sent to destroy mortals because of the evil in the world, the chest goes aground on a mountain top and the survivors at once offer sacrifice."

My point is that people in the ancient world shared stories, and most of what we believe in our bible today started with the ancient Greeks, Assyrians, and the Babylonians. Nothing wrong with that. Christians took bits and pieces of other cultures stories and made it their own.
        "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat View Post
          I don't get it. Is that Greek mythology? And if so how do you know which was written first?

Mythology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
          great question. something we can debate. the first civilization was thought to be around Mesopotamia. It is also thought that the Jews leard to believe in one God when they were captured in Babylon. Their religon was Zoroastrianism. (save that one for another day) My point is this, all these ancient civilizations shared and passed their stories on by word of mouth, so we see a lot of the same stories over and over again.

Comment

Originally posted by flarendep1 View Post
            JC,

The thing is Grammama sounds like an atheist, that would make him a non-believer - or in the Muslim world, an infidel. You know what radical Islamists do to infidels??? Cut their heads off.
            This same type of liberal cuts down America daily yet they are safe here
            I want to report this to everyone at BC. Yes, I am an Deist, and Flare has proposed to everyone here that I should have my head chopped off. That is a direct threat to me, and I do not appreciate it.

If you are such a Christian Flare, where is your tolerance and empathy for others. Two of the main tenants of Jesus Christ teachings.The reason I don't go to church anymore is because people like you that are so intolerant of others. i I don't mind if someone has different views than I do, whatever makes them happy. But to you flare, if someone doesn't believe the same as you, you want to smear them and as you stated above-KILL THEM. Wow, I cannot believe some of the stuff you get away with around here. Just because someone doesn't believe in the same things you do, does not mean they should die.

Either you are an absolute idiot or a fucking liar or both.

Never did I say you should have your head cut off. For some one who claims to be soooo smart you cannot even comprehend what you read.

My point is that non-believers are safe here in America BECAUSE Christians and Americans ARE tolerant people. Try your shit in Iran and see. Get the point now idiot.

You are so full of hate and disdain towards Christians that you judgment is suspect. Seems you are the intolerant one.
            Last edited by flarendep1; 11-28-2009, 09:55 PM.
            NBA is a joke

Comment

great question. something we can debate. the first civilization was thought to be around Mesopotamia. It is also thought that the Jews leard to believe in one God when they were captured in Babylon. Their religon was Zoroastrianism. (save that one for another day) My point is this, all these ancient civilizations shared and passed their stories on by word of mouth, so we see a lot of the same stories over and over again.
              Then if a lot of civilizations shared stories and passed them on then that seems like to me that would give them a lot more substance in being true.
              Last edited by BettorsChat; 11-28-2009, 11:06 PM.

Comment

flare, calm down with the name calling.

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218 View Post
                  flare, calm down with the name calling.

No problem, dont appreciate my posts twisted to make me look like something I am not. How about reprimanding GM for that post??
                  NBA is a joke

Comment

Originally posted by flarendep1 View Post
                    No problem, dont appreciate my posts twisted to make me look like something I am not. How about reprimanding GM for that post??
                    flare, I didn't see him call you names in any post. Just keep the names out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat View Post
                      Then if a lot of civilizations shared stories and passed them on then that seems like to me that would give them a lot more substance in being true.
                      i agree with that notion. I just wonder where the stories began. Don't get me wrong, I believe in a higher power, but I don't think the bible was the first time these stories were told.

Comment

The bible is God's word. Do you believe that? Why or why not?

Comment

Originally posted by xfrodobagginsx View Post
                          I don't believe its wise to take it literally. I also think that a lot of the stories in the bible did not originate there. The stories were told years earlier, and were included in the Bible. I have enough humility to say: I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by xfrodobagginsx View Post
                            Do your own research? Answers shouldn't be spoon fed to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamaicanman View Post
                              Do your own research? Answers shouldn't be spoon fed to you.
                              good one toni nico..

Comment

to you ever wonder why people that believe in creationism look really unevolved?

YouTube - It Seemed So Plausible

Comment

Working...
                                X