NYY offer CC almost $140 million for 6 yrs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Three Jack View Post
    Savy, that isn't up for debate...I agree with you and have said for 4 yrs now Cashman should get the ax...but to think for 1 second that Dice K is a Red Sox b/c Theo is more shrewd than Cashman is, imo, nuts. He flat out outbid them! that is not being shrewd. being shrewd is letting Damon and Pedro walk knowing that they were not worth the extra yr or the extra $2 million a year...that is shrewd.
    Ok-fair enough, and you are correct on all counts;my word phrasing was poor.
    Actually, I was up in arms about trading Nomar and getting Cabrera, not resigning Pedro and Damon, letting Pedroia play and getting rid of Loretta, etc.
    Above is precisely why I trust Theo's and the organization's judgment a lot more than my own, amd at this point put it second to none and not only because I love the Sox.
    Of course, Theo's judgment isn't perfect either as we found out with Lugo. lol

Comment

This thread is making my head hurt, lol. I would like to know why the 140 million makes any difference if it is not guaranteed. If he blows out his arm or something after 2 years would he get 140 mil?? Is this gauranteed money irregardless of the ability to start due to injury in the late years of the contract??
      NBA is a joke

Comment

Originally posted by savage1 View Post
        Ok-fair enough, and you are correct on all counts;my word phrasing was poor.
        Actually, I was up in arms about trading Nomar and getting Cabrera, not resigning Pedro and Damon, letting Pedroia play and getting rid of Loretta, etc.
        Above is precisely why I trust Theo's and the organization's judgment a lot more than my own, amd at this point put it second to none and not only because I love the Sox.
        Of course, Theo's judgment isn't perfect either as we found out with Lugo. lol
        I wish Theo was the GM of the Mets!

Will be veryi nteresting to see how he handles Varitek as he has been great at evaluating his veteran talent.
        Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

Originally posted by flarendep1 View Post
          This thread is making my head hurt, lol. I would like to know why the 140 million makes any difference if it is not guaranteed. If he blows out his arm or something after 2 years would he get 140 mil?? Is this gauranteed money irregardless of the ability to start due to injury in the late years of the contract??
          Yes, all MLB contracts are guaranteed, unlike football. They are on the hook for it...but most teams get insurnace on the larger contracts so if a guy can't pitch or play they get some of it back...but I think it has to be career ending type injury and not a hlaf a season or a full one...not sure.

Comment

I wish Theo was the GM of the Mets!

Will be veryi nteresting to see how he handles Varitek as he has been great at evaluating his veteran talent.
            I don't blame you.
            I actually feel bad for the Mets for what happened during the last few seasons.
            Yeah-I hated them after 1986, but of late I really wanted them to get to the playoffs, and I really do empathize with Mets fans over the diastrous last two Septembers.
            Sox have been down that road many times in history and in the many years I ahve followed them.

Comment

Something isn't right here:
              The Mets sign KRod for $37 for three years(12.3 million a year) and Yankee are on the verge of signing Sabathia at $160 million for 7 years or almost 23 million a year.
              This tells me that some folks think KRod who has excelled in the American League and pitches regularly is worth only 1/2 of the salary per year and half the duration of the contract as does Sabathia, who has had a very good career in the AL and then NL but who has never really proved himself in pivotal games and expecially in the playoffs.
              Personally, I think the Mets got a great deal and that the Yankees are just plain stupid to pay that much and even worse to sign him for an absurd seven years.
              If the laughable history of the Yankees signing of free agent pitching over the last decade repeats, CC will be a bust and/or end up on the diaabled list, and they won't win a WS for the next seven years.
              The third possibility is that with all of that money and good New York restaurants, his weight will balloon to 400 lbs. and he will have to be wheeled out to the mound when it is his turn to pitch.
              Last edited by savage1; 12-10-2008, 12:11 PM.

Comment

the yankees are a disaster. They blow there chance last year by saying we wont sign Santana and get rid of Phyllis hughes and Ian kennedy and now they are blowing the doors off that theory and signing BF sabathia......lmao. He will be good for a few years then he will breakdown. Shit the guy is fatter than kb. GL yankees desperate times call for desperate measures LMAO
                2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

Don't forget also that unlike Cleveland and Milwaukee, CC will be subject to much more scrutiny and criticism in New york from the fans and writers.
                  If he doesn't pan out to the expectations of his salary, is heaily booed and critized, how will he react(other than perhaps downing an additional half a dozen cheeseburgers and orders of fries)?

Comment

Ps in original post#66 I inadvertently said Mets signed KRod for $37 for years rather than 37 million-now $37 would really be quite a bargain for three years even in he played in Africa for the African Mets.
                    Last edited by savage1; 12-10-2008, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Perhaps the Yankees shouldn't stop at 7 years. Why not sign him for the next 21 years(he will only be 49) at the same rate for a 'bargain" of 480 million or maybe just round it up to 500 million to be nice(a mere half a billion) to ensure that CC doesn't go to another team or more likely retire and become President of all of the MCDonalds and/or Burger King Restaurants in the US.
                      Last edited by savage1; 12-10-2008, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Word is the Yankees upped the offer after the Brewers told CC's agent Monday Milwaukee would match the six year $140 million.

The Yankees just saved the brewers from themselves.

Comment

CC can opt out of his contract after three years if he doesn't like it in New York.
                          Why not also just make FATASS the manager and GM at the same time and provide him with all of the women/elephants he wants to sleep with during his stay(and obviously of course all of the free food he wishes during the games when he is BOTH pitching and not pitching).
                          Last edited by savage1; 12-11-2008, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by savage1 View Post
                            CC can opt out of his contract after three years if he doesn't like it in New York.
                            Why not also just make FATASS the manager and GM at the same time and provide him with all of the women/elephants he wants to sleep with during his stay(and obviously of course all of the free food he wishes during the games when he is BOTH pitching and not pitching).
                            Dude, why do you hate CC so much? Did he try to steal your wife or something?

And, as much as I think Cashman should have been fired long ago, I think he did the right thing. What do you think he should have done this off season?

Comment

Dude, why do you hate CC so much? Did he try to steal your wife or something?

And, as much as I think Cashman should have been fired long ago, I think he did the right thing. What do you think he should have done this off season?
                              Ok-here we go.
                              First of all I don't think Sabathia would want to steal my wife;she is 4'11" and weighs 105 lbs.-use your imagination.
                              I don't Sabathia as a person as I never met him and regard him as a very good pitcher.
                              However, I despise him and his agent for their tactics for holding out for every last cent and their total mercenary motives and the opt out clause.
                              My God-everyone knows he really wants to play on the west coast, but apparently 140 million isn't enough.
                              Jerks like him and his agent would rather go to New York, milk it for what its worth(like he did in Milwaukee) and then go elsewhere right in the middle of the contract if he is unhappy.
                              Conversely, I admire guys like Lowell who stayed in Boston because he liked it there even though he realized he could received more elsewhere.
                              If nothing else shows why Cashman should be fired, this is it-caving on to every demand of an free agent;nothing will make me happier if Sabathia fizzles and the Yankees are once again left out in the cold after they once again try the failed tactics of the last nine years(signing high priced pitchers who fizzle or go on the DL).
                              Also, the economy is suffering, and I am sure prices for tickets and concessions at Yankee Stadium and other stadiums will rise-I think it is wrong;personally I think there should be caps put on salaries, but thats another issue.
                              If the Sox had signed him under the same terms, sure I would root for him because he plays for the Red Sox in the same way I did for Pedro Martinez when he played for them.
                              However, I think their total mercenary values in making decisions as to where they play are despicable and don't say much for either one as human beings;greed is one of the big reasons for the economic failures we have seen in this country this year.

Comment

How anyone can slam an athlete for making as much money as they can is beyond me. You and I have no idea who any athlete was raised, what there family situation is, who they take care of, who they don't take care of...and how much they donate to charity.

It was very nice of Lowell to take a hometown discount...ask him how he feels about being so good to the Sox when they reward him by shipping him to Seattle or any other city if they sign Teixiera. Even if they don't, what does it say to him that they are even considering an offer? its a business...players should take what they can get as long as someone is dumb enough to pay it.

Comment

Working...
                                X