NYY offer CC almost $140 million for 6 yrs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Three Jack View Post
    Dude, why do you hate CC so much? Did he try to steal your wife or something?

And, as much as I think Cashman should have been fired long ago, I think he did the right thing. What do you think he should have done this off season?
    He doesn't hate CC. He hates the Yanks. It absolutely kills Savage that the Yanks have signed one of the best pitchers in baseball. The Yanks could sign Tom Seaver, Bob Gibson or any other HOF pitcher and Savage would criticize the acquisition.

All of Savage's excuses are on his part wishful thinking. He's wishing and hoping CC breaks down. While Savage from the beginning has suggested he wouldn't sign CC to a long term contract his contempt towards CC has increased since it was the Yanks who signed him.

Comment

How anyone can slam an athlete for making as much money as they can is beyond me. You and I have no idea who any athlete was raised, what there family situation is, who they take care of, who they don't take care of...and how much they donate to charity.

It was very nice of Lowell to take a hometown discount...ask him how he feels about being so good to the Sox when they reward him by shipping him to Seattle or any other city if they sign Teixiera. Even if they don't, what does it say to him that they are even considering an offer? its a business...players should take what they can get as long as someone is dumb enough to pay it.
      I disagree. If a player is already making plenty of money(multi millions), doing well, loves the city and the fans, and his wife and children are quite happy overall, I think it is a big mistake to simply walk away because some other team offers you more money(I say this irrespective of whether the team is considering trading you or not-a player has no control over that);he does have control over his own individual happiness and contentment if he is not traded by staying put and not gambling that the monetary gains of playing for a new team in a new city will override the possibility that he will not do well there, and that he and his family won't like it there.

Comment

Originally posted by savage1 View Post
        Ok-here we go.
        First of all I don't think Sabathia would want to steal my wife;she is 4'11" and weighs 105 lbs.-use your imagination.
        And? Do basketball players only marry 6-3 woman? Do NFL lineman only marry 200 pound woman? I've seen pictures of some very big lineman with petite women.

Comment

I disagree. If a player is already making plenty of money(multi millions), doing well, loves the city and the fans, and his wife and children are quite happy overall, I think it is a big mistake to simply walk away because some other team offers you more money(I say this irrespective of whether the team is considering trading you or not-a player has no control over that);he does have control over his own individual happiness and contentment if he is not traded by staying put and not gambling that the monetary gains of playing for a new team in a new city will override the possibility that he will not do well there, and that he and his family won't like it there.

Ok, following your method of madness, so where should CC have gone? No west coast team offered him a contract and Milw offered $60 million less. Is he supposed to sit out a yr until he gets an offer from the West Coast?
          Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

Originally posted by frankb03 View Post
            And? Do basketball players only marry 6-3 woman? Do NFL lineman only marry 200 pound woman? I've seen pictures of some very big lineman with petite women.
            I thought that but didn't want to get into it. Every see Shaq's wife?

I think Savage must be good friends with CC as he seems to know a whole lot about him!

Comment

Dude it's not as if he signed with a horrible franchise. He signed with one of the great franchises in all of sports and in one of the greatest cities in the world. He's from CA. He played in Cleveland and Milw. Who are you to judge where he and his family would be happy. I'd think the majority of us would be happier living and playing in NY than Milw.

Comment

Ok, following your method of madness, so where should CC have gone? No west coast team offered him a contract and Milw offered $60 million less. Is he supposed to sit out a yr until he gets an offer from the West Coast?
                I don't know his overall level of happiness, whether he is married and other factors.
                He is a mercenary,and as you say, I would have a lot more respect for him if he admitted it he is leaving Milwaukee ONLY for more money.

Comment

Dude it's not as if he signed with a horrible franchise. He signed with one of the great franchises in all of sports and in one of the greatest cities in the world. He's from CA. He played in Cleveland and Milw. Who are you to judge where he and his family would be happy. I'd think the majority of us would be happier living and playing in NY than Milw.
                  Bullshit-if he presently played in New York and Milwaukee somehow offered him the most money, he would be there in an instant.

Comment

I don't know his overall level of happiness, whether he is married and other factors.
                    He is a mercenary,and as you say, I would have a lot more respect for him if he admitted it he is leaving Milwaukee ONLY for more money.
                    Savy...please...you make no sense....

$100 million and 5 yrs in Milw

or

$160 million and 7 yrs for the NYY

These were the only two offers!!! And you call that being a mercenary? There is no choice!! Even Mike Lowell would pack his bags.....

Comment

He doesn't hate CC. He hates the Yanks. It absolutely kills Savage that the Yanks have signed one of the best pitchers in baseball. The Yanks could sign Tom Seaver, Bob Gibson or any other HOF pitcher and Savage would criticize the acquisition.

All of Savage's excuses are on his part wishful thinking. He's wishing and hoping CC breaks down. While Savage from the beginning has suggested he wouldn't sign CC to a long term contract his contempt towards CC has increased since it was the Yanks who signed him.
                      You are way off Frank.
                      You should know this as this as the ones who keeps trends and angles.
                      Why should I worry as a Sox fan when every other big signing over the last eight years for the Yankees (big name pitchers, Arod. Giambi, Sheffield, Randy Johnson, etc.) has not brought them a WS?
                      That being said, CC has never proved himself in the AL in the playoffs and never against the Yankees(I would think Yanks would rather let him play for some other Al team so they can feast on him once again).
                      This will probably just turn out tobe another big mistake on Yankees-lets see how CC stands up to Yankee fans and the press if things don't go well-this ain't Milwaukee or Cleveland.

Comment

Savy...please...you make no sense....

$100 million and 5 yrs in Milw

or

$160 million and 7 yrs for the NYY

These were the only two offers!!! And you call that being a mercenary? There is no choice!! Even Mike Lowell would pack his bags.....
                        Maybe but Lowell ouldn't leave for $.01 more in his contract as would a lot of other players with huge egos.

Comment

I think it would be a good idea and read a through a number of posts back.
                          Most of the criticism I am leveling here is against the Yankees rather than on Sabathia;I say he is way overpaid and shouldn't be given a seven year contract under any conditions(no pitcher should in my opinion).
                          His situation is somewhat different from that of Lowell's, who as far as I am concerned, signed a three year contract with the Red Sox even though he could have received more because he was comfortable with the team, fans and the city and likewise and probably more importantly for the sake of his family.

Comment

I think it would be a good idea and read a through a number of posts back.
                            Most of the criticism I am leveling here is against the Yankees rather than on Sabathia;I say he is way overpaid and shouldn't be given a seven year contract under any conditions(no pitcher should in my opinion).
                            His situation is somewhat different from that of Lowell's, who as far as I am concerned, signed a three year contract with the Red Sox even though he could have received more because he was comfortable with the team, fans and the city and likewise and probably more importantly for the sake of his family.

no one thinks Cashman should be fired more than me...but go back to my post from earlier today and be NYY GM...what would you do this off season if this is such a colossal mistake in your mind?

Comment

no one thinks Cashman should be fired more than me...but go back to my post from earlier today and be NYY GM...what would you do this off season if this is such a colossal mistake in your mind?
                              I call it fiscal irresponsibility.
                              Stand your ground-don't cave in to every demand of a player or his agent.
                              Signing high price players like ARod has got them zilch;why should CC be any different.
                              Perhaps CASHman should spend some of that $160 million on taking lessons from Theo as to how to build a championship team; the most important thing that Cashman has never learned is that in baseball the total is not always ths sum of the parts, and tht money spent does NOT equate with a WS Championship!

Comment

I call it fiscal irresponsibility.
                                Stand your ground-don't cave in to every demand of a player or his agent.
                                Signing high price players like ARod has got them zilch;why should CC be any different.
                                Perhaps CASHman should spend some of that $160 million on taking lessons from Theo as to how to build a championship team; the most important thing that Cashman has never learned is that in baseball the total is not always ths sum of the parts, and tht money spent does NOT equate with a WS Championship!

If I remember correctly, the Red Sox had A Rod in their grasp befor ehe was a Yankee.

Savage, they showed fiscal responsibility last off season. How did it work out? He went into '07 with 3 rookie starters.

And let's not get carried away with the Red Sox kool aid...fiscal responsibility? they have the second hoighest payroll in the league. Theo has done an infinately better job of growing a farm system, but he has not exactly been frugal!

What's your next plan?

Comment

Working...
                                X