NYY offer CC almost $140 million for 6 yrs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYY offer CC almost $140 million for 6 yrs

I guess we will now see how much he doesn't want to play in NY. And, if he accepts it, for once I want to hear a player say he took the money!
    Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Another useless thread.

Signed,
    Fago

Comment

Originally posted by Three Jack View Post
      I guess we will now see how much he doesn't want to play in NY. And, if he accepts it, for once I want to hear a player say he took the money!
      Could you please find out what the Rangers are offering?
      updated thru 4/04 play

CFB: (0-1) 1.05 units
      NFL: (0-0) 0.0 units

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Thrill View Post

Comment

CC is a great pitcher, but in 3 years he might be 3 bills. Tough to invest that much money in him for that many years. With that said, pitching is everything in baseball. The Yankees don't need any more bats, just more great starters. Average starters don't cut it.

Comment

with how much he got worked in the 2nd half of last year, i wouldn't be surprised if he gets injured in the first couple of weeks of the season. I hope the yankees buy him for 160-170 and he goes down week 1. (for the yankees sake, not CC's)
            "CFB YTD: 5-8-1 -16.2"

Comment

There is no pitcher out there who commands that kind of money for six years;their careers are much more tenuous than those of everyday players.
              If the Yankees and one of the dumb offspring of Georgie wants to offer him that, then let them-he will no more be the Second Coming and lead them to a WS than Randy Johnson or a number of other good pitchers did.
              Last edited by savage1; 11-14-2008, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Thrill View Post
                $1.25 and the all you can eat buffet nightly.....

Comment

That guy has thrown WAAAAAAAY too many pitches the last two years to invest this kind of money. Mark my words, this guy will be undergoing elbow surgery in th next 18 months.

Comment

Originally posted by harold_bush View Post
                    That guy has thrown WAAAAAAAY too many pitches the last two years to invest this kind of money. Mark my words, this guy will be undergoing elbow surgery in th next 18 months.
                    Its hard to say if he will blow out his arm. Back in the day you only had 4 man pitching rotations the 5th starter was used for double headers. Look at the number of pitches the likes of Gaylord Perry,Bob Gibson, Steve Carlton to name a few threw over their more than a decade pitching. With all the money being spent on pitching the teams baby them on pitch counts. You never heard of pitch counts with guys like Bob
                    Feller or Warren Spahn. If CC can stay in shape and be dedicated like the pitchers I mentioned above this may not be a bad investment for the Yankees

Comment

Originally posted by LeRoy View Post
                      Its hard to say if he will blow out his arm. Back in the day you only had 4 man pitching rotations the 5th starter was used for double headers. Look at the number of pitches the likes of Gaylord Perry,Bob Gibson, Steve Carlton to name a few threw over their more than a decade pitching. With all the money being spent on pitching the teams baby them on pitch counts. You never heard of pitch counts with guys like Bob
                      Feller or Warren Spahn. If CC can stay in shape and be dedicated like the pitchers I mentioned above this may not be a bad investment for the Yankees
                      FINALLY! Someone with some baseballs sense. I'm so tired of listening to the media that he's thrown too many innings and pitches. He threw 253 innings. Decades ago that was the norm. Pitchers routinely threw 8 or 9 innings per start.

CC is 28. You bet your ass i'd offer him 6 years.

Comment

Originally posted by frankb03 View Post
                        FINALLY! Someone with some baseballs sense. I'm so tired of listening to the media that he's thrown too many innings and pitches. He threw 253 innings. Decades ago that was the norm. Pitchers routinely threw 8 or 9 innings per start.

Dude, I've got baseball sense, probably a lot more than most considering I played college ball, and been around the game my entire life. I know what I'm talking about.

Obviously pitchers used to throw a million innings, and you didn't leave a game unless you were hurt. Guys were throwing 20+ complete games per year. Guess what........this ain't 60 years ago. Times have changed. Pitchers are conditioned in little league ball all the way up to the majors to not throw too many pitches. THere are middle relievers and closers in little league ball now. The game has been pussified, no doubt, but that is the game we play now. 60 years ago there were not pitch counts in little league ball. There were no middle relievers or closers. As such, arms were conditioned to throw "unlimited" pitches. That ain't the way it is today. There are certain exceptions over the years (Ryan, Clemens, etc), that can handle it, but for everyone of them there are 10 that couldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by frankb03 View Post

I agree that he is worth the investment, but just because guys threw close to 300 innings 25 yrs ago doesn't mean they can do it now. Its all about conditioning and I doubt he has been conditioned to throw as much as he has. I would hate to see him breakdown as he seems like a good guy with a team first mentality, but he has logged a whole heck more innings that what he may be conditioned for. I also agree that he will miss significant time within the next 2 yrs. Then again, I hope he is a freak of nature and doesn;t have issues.

Comment

I'll take it a step further and say NO pitchers are worth this kind of money for this many years. Regardlesss of pitch counts, pitchers are too big of an injury risk these days. You can count on one had how many pitchers in the last 10 years had a 6 year stretch where they pitched well enough to deserve that kind of cash.

Comment

Originally posted by harold_bush View Post
                              Dude, I've got baseball sense, probably a lot more than most considering I played college ball, and been around the game my entire life. I know what I'm talking about.

Obviously pitchers used to throw a million innings, and you didn't leave a game unless you were hurt. Guys were throwing 20+ complete games per year. Guess what........this ain't 60 years ago. Times have changed.
                              You're right times have changed. Humans are bigger, faster and stronger than decades ago. Training is better. Dieting is better. They train year round.

The game is pussified. You don't think a modern day pitcher such as Sabathia can be conditioned to throw 350 innings? BTW 350 doesn't crack the top-500 (yes 500) MLB record for innings throw in a season. For anyone to suggest that CC will break down next season because he threw 350 innings is naive. There's no correlation between innings pitched and breaking down. There's dozens of pitchers that break down with very limited innings. Prior to this season Rich Harden has pitched 71 innings the last two seasons combined. Kerry Wood has thrown about 175 innings over the last 4 seasons. It boils down to mechanics.

Between 1960 and 1990 the average American male became 2 inches taller and 27 pounds heavier.

Comment

Working...
                              X