Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early thoughts on the big Pats/Colts matchup??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wayne1218
    I think most will be on Indy!
    Most on this forum may be on Indy but the general public will be ALL OVER the Pats thinking..."oh the spread is only 4.5...thats an easy one for the dominant Pats"....
    SOBER SINCE MARCH 28TH OF 2007!!!

Comment

Originally posted by plandbill
      trust me the Colts defense is much better this year than last. The stats show it and on the field they are showing it.
      All people talked about last year going in to the N.E. game was how good the Indy D had become too giving up 6 & 8 points in the 2 previous playoff games before N.E. put 34 on them.

The Pats ripped them apart and ran out of gas in the 2nd half. I don't think that happens again with Thomas, Gay and Harrison back on defense.

Comment

These are different teams than they were last year in the AFC Title game. New England had a huge lead in that game and after blowing it in the 2nd half, they still had a great shot to win it if any of the WR's could have caught a ball when they were wide open.

Last year N.E. ran out of gas on defense. They played with a WR (Troy Brown) playing DB and they were without CB Randall Gay and S Rodney Harrison. Both will play this week to sure up the pass coverage. The LB's were getting tired in that game also and N.E. went out and signed LB A. Thomas from Baltimore. Great hitter and GREAT LB in coverage against the pass. Harrison, Gay & Thomas should make a HUGE Difference being in the lineup.

The Colts on the other hand will be without 4 of their best defenders from that AFC Title game in Rob Morris, Cato June, Anthony Mcfarland and Nick Harper. Two are injured and 2 now play for other teams. Those guys were used to the Patriots and their schemes. Will the new guys miss a beat???

On offense New England had Reche Caldwell, Jabar Gaffney and Troy Brown in that game as WR's. They have replaced them with Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Donte' Stallworth. Indy had no problem playing cover 2 and single coverage against those guys last year. Will that work this time around? Good luck with that because if you don't think the 3 new WR's will cause nightmares for the Indy players and coaching staff, you are crazy.

D. Rhodes was a nice compliment last year to Addai and he led the team in rushing against N.E. with 69 yards. He too is gone and Harrison is banged up.

I know i'll be called biased here but all those changes are facts and you have to think it will play a part in Sunday's matchup. The Patriots defense and offense should be MUCH improved over last year. Can Indy say that? I'm just not sure and i too think the line speaks volumes here!

Comment

Originally posted by Chado1
          Most on this forum may be on Indy but the general public will be ALL OVER the Pats thinking..."oh the spread is only 4.5...thats an easy one for the dominant Pats"....
          I wouldn't count on it. I think the line will come back to the -3/-3.5 range.

Comment

Originally posted by BigMike

I never pick on your Eagles when others are piling on and i get this?

Comment

Can you guys explain to me what you mean by "the line speaks volumes" ? I am assuming you mean that they are favored by 4.5 on the road vs. another undeafted team because of how dominant the Pats are but could you please elaborate on that comment?

Wayne...

Comment

Can you guys explain to me what you mean by "the line speaks volumes" ? I am assuming you mean that they are favored by 4.5 on the road vs. another undeafted team because of how dominant the Pats are but could you please elaborate on that comment?

It speaks volumes because he's a Pats fan. Pat fans are going to read into the line that Pats are 7 1/2 better than Colts if this was played on a neutral field.

However, Sagarin has Pats less than 1 point better.
                Pats 35.10 v. Colts 34.32

Comment

Originally posted by frankb03
                  What would give you that idea? lol

It is a given when anyone talks about their teams here! lol

Comment

I think most will be on Indy!
                    Public will be ALL OVER Pats only laying 4.5

Comment

Exactly what I just said...

Comment

I wouldn't count on it. I think the line will come back to the -3/-3.5 range.
                        Even if the line moves to -3.5 doesn't mean it's the public moving the line. If it moves to 3.5 public will be on it even more.
                        Last edited by frankb03; 10-29-2007, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Wayne...

Personally, and obviously i could be wrong, i think most will take the +4 or +4.5 with the defending and undefeated SB team at home. I think Vegas obviously makes the line based on public perception to keep the betting 50/50 but i also think they know alot of money will jump on Indy with a spread over 4 thinking it is too good to be true. I also believe it is and N.E. Wins by at least 10.

I saw most people here on S.D. when they played N.E. and i saw many say take the big points on MNF against Cincy and i saw many say wait until they play Dallas and many had the Cowboys big ....... Then many said 16 was too much to give a (4-2) Redskins team and they won that one by 45. They won those games without breaking a sweat and they are doing things right now that is putting them in the history books every week. Maybe i'm a Pats and blinded by them but people want to call their shot against them every week here and go against them and the spread. They won't win or cover them all but watching this team every week has just been like nothing i've seriously ever seen before.
                          Last edited by wayne1218; 10-29-2007, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Colts opponents have a combined record of 27-23

Pats opponents have a combined record of 24-34

Comment

Even if that is true, does is guarantee a loss by the public or do they win sometimes too?

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21
                                Colts opponents have a combined record of 27-23

Pats opponents have a combined record of 24-34
                                N.E. is averaging 41.4 ppg through 8 weeks. Regardless of the competition, this is the NFL and have you ever seen that done before?

Comment

Working...
                                X