Wood's season could be over after suffering setback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by molta02
    My comments have nothing to do with that..... I'm a fan of baseball first.

Prior and Wood's ceiling was off the charts. They would be contenders evey year they are healthy, especially with zambrano as a 3. Honestly, they would have won a WS already with them in '03 if they weren't cursed. And I am not saying that to be funny, I truely believe that they and the Red Sox up till '04 were cursed. I was at the game 7 in '03 sox/yanks, and they only thing to explain what happened that day was a curse. It was very surreal. Same thing with how the Cubs lost in '03.

I know Molta...I could tell by your comments that you were speaking as a fan not a astros fan.

I was at game 6 of the NLCS...and I believe you. It was the most surreal game I've ever been to, watched whatever. I will never forget every moment of that game as long as I live.

And yes, I believe we are cursed.

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218
      Yup, wait 5 more years and see he is no longer worth anything at that point in the trade market!

I was thinking 5 more STARTS jerky!

Comment

Originally posted by molta02
        So if they go out and overspend for someone to replace these guys, then they are dumb with their money.

In '03 the foundation was in place. For '04 they went out and got Derrek Lee to add to that team, and give them a little more pop that they needed. Also, they went out and got GREG MADDUX. Then everyone of thier key players over the last couple years got hurt. There is no more pitching.....who are they supposed to get. All they would end up doing is overspending for some talent that isn't out there.

They 'could' have traded Prior for Tejada but: -who knows if it would have gone down, and -Prior stays healthy and everyone goes nuts because they traded a SP.
        miolta,

The Whole deal was reported about Tejada and everyone was saying it was up to the Cubs to accept or deny the trade. That's all we can go by is reports and it was more than one person that said it.

You make the deal in a HEARTBEAT! You are dealing Prior to a A.L. team that even if he becomes an ACE will likely never hurt you coming out of that division. You also rarely play him in inter-league. In turn, you get an All Star player and possible Hall of Famer that has shown great durability and should have at least 5 more solid years. If you don't get him to sign after this season you take the money from him and Prior gone or the money you offered Tejada and go get another big bat. You cut ties with Wood and his salary if possible. Build around Zambrano, Tejada and Lee. Add a couple of solid starters in place or with Woods money and you have something there. It's not as difficult as some of you make it but the Cubs are scared to let either of these DL Legends go!
        Last edited by wayne1218; 06-22-2006, 12:37 PM.

Comment

miolta,

The Whole deal was reported about Tejada and everyone was saying it was up to the Cubs to accept or deny the trade. That's all we can go by is reports and it was more than one person that said it.

You make the deal in a HEARTBEAT! You are dealing Prior to a A.L. team that even if he becomes an ACE will likely never hurt you coming out of that division. You also rarely play him in inter-league. In turn, you get an All Star player and possible Hall of Famer that has shown great durability and should have at least 5 more solid years. If you don't get him to sign after this season you take the money from him and Prior gone or the money you offered Tejada and go get another big bat. You cut ties with Wood and his salary if possible. Build around Zambrano, Tejada and Lee. Add a couple of solid starters in place or with Woods money and you have something there. It's not as difficult as some of you make it but the Cubs are scared to let either of these DL Legends go!

What you didn't know is that Baltimore also wanted the Cubs #1 prospect Felix Pie, and that was not gonna happen. they also wanted Zambrano rather then Prior....

Again...the Tejada thing was more media then anything.

Move on

Comment

Wood & Prior have done NOTHING but bring this franchise down. They are literally ruining it. The Cubs will never be able to move on and get a fresh start until they pull the rug out from under these 2 clowns!

Comment

Originally posted by TheRook
              What you didn't know is that Baltimore also wanted the Cubs #1 prospect Felix Pie, and that was not gonna happen. they also wanted Zambrano rather then Prior....

Again...the Tejada thing was more media then anything.

Move on
              We didn't want to give up Hanley Ramirez (our top prospect) to Fla. with other good prospects to get Beckett either ... BUT we did and we even had to accept Lowell and his wasted contract in the deal. You know what, sometimes things work out and even though Ramirez is having a Rookie of the Year season, it needed to be done and we also benefitted from it!

Comment

We didn't want to give up Hanley Ramirez (our top prospect) to Fla. with other good prospects to get Beckett either ... BUT we did and we even had to accept Lowell and his wasted contract in the deal. You know what, sometimes things work out and even though Ramirez is having a Rookie of the Year season, it needed to be done and we also benefitted from it!

Hanley Ramirez never had a shot to play for Boston. The organization didn't like him, and never planned on him playing in the bigs. That was very evident by overspending for a 4year deal to Rentaria last year when Hanley was ready for the majors within a year.

Comment

OK...devils advocate...

we get tejeda and trade zambrano

Same scenerio as what's gone on this year...where does that leave us?

With one less ace, a disgrunted shortstop which we'll probably have to try and unload his salary next month!

It was not a good deal to make. I'm glad they didn't.

Your deal might end up benefiting you....it might not. You just never know.

As of now, I'd say it was a good trade.

Comment

Wood & Prior have done NOTHING but bring this franchise down. They are literally ruining it. The Cubs will never be able to move on and get a fresh start until they pull the rug out from under these 2 clowns!
                    OMG ...

Comment

• Originally posted by molta02
                      Hanley Ramirez never had a shot to play for Boston. The organization didn't like him, and never planned on him playing in the bigs. That was very evident by overspending for a 4year deal to Rentaria last year when Hanley was ready for the majors within a year.

Comment

• Originally posted by molta02
                        He was listed in every magazine as Boston's Top Prospect and one of the Tops in all the Minors. The fact is several teams wanted him and Boston sure could use a SS. The bottom line is also a leap of faith works out well for both sides. Say what you want but Florida has no problem with how he "The Rookie of the Year" is playing!

Comment

• Originally posted by wayne1218
                          He was listed in every magazine as Boston's Top Prospect and one of the Tops in all the Minors. The fact is several teams wanted him and Boston sure could use a SS baseman. The bottom line is also a leap of faith works out well for both sides. Say what you want but Florida has no problem with how he "The Rookie of the Year" is playing!

Of course not, cause they wanted to unload beckett and Lowell no matter what.

They got a jewel in return.

It wasn't a leap of faith...its called a fire sale, and Boston was one of the lucky recepiants.

Comment

• Boston also didn't wait 5 years to see Renteria wasn't a match in Boston did they? Nope, it isn't working. FIX IT!

NEXT QUESTION?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRook
                              Of course not, cause they wanted to unload beckett and Lowell no matter what.

They got a jewel in return.

It wasn't a leap of faith...its called a fire sale, and Boston was one of the lucky recepiants.

It's not a "TOTAL" fire sale when you get the Rookie of the year in return. Is it John?

Comment

• Originally posted by wayne1218
                                Boston also didn't wait 5 years to see Renteria wasn't a match in Boston did they? Nope, it isn't working. FIX IT!

NEXT QUESTION?

How could he NOT have been a match in Boston after trading Nomar???

Of course,

Cause Alex Gonzalez and Alex Cora are the answer.

Comment

Working...
                                X