Girls Basketball Team Wins 100-0, Seeks Forfeit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KazDog View Post
    I'll ask you one simple question Vols. How many times in your lifetime have you seen a team get beat 100-0?

If Pat Hill was playing the equivalent of a high school team, or a DivIII football team, with a school that only has 25 boys in it total, and they weren't all there mentally, and he was up 93-0 and passing every opportunity as the score ends up 100-0, you damn well better believe I'd be the first fucking reporter at his door asking him WTF? As would the Fresno Bee. And I know for a fact, he might get fired for it. Make sure it's apples and oranges here bro.....

KAZ
    History lesson for you KAZ .John Heisman coached here at Georgia Tech and won a football game 222-0 over Cumberland College.They later named a trophy after his ass and I think you know which one it is.It's a pointless argument.For once admit your wrong.And always remember you can't spell KRAZY without KAZ.

Comment

Originally posted by vols fan View Post
      History lesson for you KAZ .John Heisman coached here at Georgia Tech and won a football game 222-0 over Cumberland College.They later named a trophy after his ass and I think you know which one it is.It's a pointless argument.For once admit your wrong.And always remember you can't spell KRAZY without KAZ.
      Wrong? About what? Don't get me started Vols. There's nothing for me to apologize for. Congrats to John Heisman, that's a feather in his cap. I guess what you're saying is, two wrongs make a right???......

Here's a few facts for those of you who didn't read the complete the story. Which is quite obvious from your comments.....Obviously, read the parts in bold!

DALLAS — A Texas high school girls basketball team on the winning end of a 100-0 game has a case of blowout remorse.

Now officials from the winning school say they are trying to do the right thing by seeking a forfeit and apologizing for the margin of victory.

In a statement Thursday on The Covenant School's Web site, the head of school said, "It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened." He went on to say that Covenant has made "a formal request to forfeit the game recognizing that a victory without honor is a great loss."

Last week Covenant, a private Christian school in Dallas, defeated Dallas Academy 100-0. Covenant was up 59-0 at halftime.

A parent who attended the game told The Associated Press that Covenant continued to make 3-pointers — even in the fourth quarter. She praised the Covenant players but said spectators and an assistant coach were cheering wildly as their team edged closer to 100 points.

"I think the bad judgment was in the full-court press and the 3-point shots," said Renee Peloza, whose daughter plays for Dallas Academy. "At some point, they should have backed off."

Dallas Academy coach Jeremy Civello told The Dallas Morning News that the game turned into a "layup drill," with the opposing team's guards waiting to steal the ball and drive to the basket.
      Covenant scored 12 points in the fourth quarter and "finally eased up when they got to 100 with about four minutes left," he said.

Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless over the last four seasons. The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with "learning differences," such as short attention spans or dyslexia.

There is no mercy rule in girls basketball that shortens the game or permits the clock to continue running when scores become lopsided. There is, however, "a golden rule" that should have applied in this contest, said Edd Burleson, the director of the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools. Both schools are members of this association, which oversees private school athletics in Texas.

"On a personal note, I told the coach of the losing team how much I admire their girls for continuing to compete against all odds," Burleson said. "They showed much more character than the coach that allowed that score to get out of hand. It's up to the coach to control the outcome."

Covenant coach Micah Grimes and head of school Kyle Queal did not immediately respond to messages left by The Associated Press on Thursday.

In the statement on the Covenant Web site, Queal said the game "does not reflect a Christ-like and honorable approach to competition. We humbly apologize for our actions and seek the forgiveness of Dallas Academy, TAPPS and our community."

Queal said school officials met with Dallas Academy officials to apologize and praised "each member of the Dallas Academy Varsity Girls Basketball team for their strength, composure and fortitude in a game in which they clearly emerged the winner." Civello said he appreciated the gesture and has accepted the apology "with no ill feelings."

At a shootaround Thursday, several Dallas Academy players said they were frustrated during the game but felt it was a learning opportunity. They also said they are excited about some of the attention they are receiving from the loss, including an invitation from Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban to see an NBA game from his suite.

"Even if you are losing, you might as well keep playing," said Shelby Hyatt, a freshman on the team. "Keep trying, and it's going to be OK."

Peloza said the coach and other parents praised the Dallas Academy girls afterward for limiting Covenant to 12 points in the fourth quarter. She added that neither her daughter nor her teammates seemed to dwell on the loss.

"Somewhere during that game they got caught up in the moment," Peloza said of the Covenant players, fans and coaches. "Our girls just moved on. That's the happy part of the story."

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT WAS UNFAIR OR UNBALANCED ABOUT THIS STORY

KAZ
      [email protected]

I'm just here so I won't get fined....

Comment

Yes. He should be allowed. I said I didn't feel he should be fired. But it was up to him to get in touch with the media outlet and make sure his side was written. I will bet you whatever you want that they attempted to contact him and he couldn't be reached for comment. 99 times out of 100 that's the case. He shouldn't have been fired, but you can't blame the media for reporting a valid news story. And this in my opinion was very valid. And I have been involved as a member of the media for 25 years.....

KAZ

I really did not want to make this political. I like you Kaz but just dont understand why you are so angry. Your guy won the election.

Just a question: Since your a member of the media and hate Rush Limbaugh, why is it Ok for Obama to attack Rush and waste his time with him? That would be like Bush telling Bill Maher to STFU. Isnt this a little beneath the POTUS?

You say wait till Big Gov takes over once media is dead, you voted for the guy that will likely be the one to see that happen.

I have no problem with media that reports the facts, politics dont matter, if they nail a crooked Politician regardless of affiliation, I am glad they expose them.

Obama scares me because it has gotten to the point where no one will challenge him for fear of being shut out or destroyed. That is dangerous, you of all people know that a certain amount of dissent has made this country great.

Get your media buddies to find out who scheduled this basketball game will ya? If it was the coach or the AD?

No hard feeelings, your a good man.
        NBA is a joke

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out how that story was meant to rile up readers and sell subscriptions. Don't let the facts get in the way. The firestorm writes itself. The story was fair and had both sides commenting, with the coach not returning messages, just like I said he had probably done. Blaming the media for this is typical.....

KAZ
          [email protected]

Comment

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT WAS UNFAIR OR UNBALANCED ABOUT THIS STORY

KAZ
            UNFAIR and UNBALACED ABOUT THIS STORY is that it's a story.Look,my 4 year old plays soccer and they don't keep score cause they don't want to make another team look bad.If you coach special kids and put them against some good schools than I blame that AD more than I do the coach of the school of the winners.The parents at those private schools are already protecting them enough from the real world so a loss in basketball might be a big lesson to them girls, that there parents can't pay for everything like wins in basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by flarendep1 View Post
              I really did not want to make this political. I like you Kaz but just dont understand why you are so angry. Your guy won the election.

Just a question: Since your a member of the media and hate Rush Limbaugh, why is it Ok for Obama to attack Rush and waste his time with him? That would be like Bush telling Bill Maher to STFU. Isnt this a little beneath the POTUS?

You say wait till Big Gov takes over once media is dead, you voted for the guy that will likely be the one to see that happen.

I have no problem with media that reports the facts, politics dont matter, if they nail a crooked Politician regardless of affiliation, I am glad they expose them.

Obama scares me because it has gotten to the point where no one will challenge him for fear of being shut out or destroyed. That is dangerous, you of all people know that a certain amount of dissent has made this country great.

Get your media buddies to find out who scheduled this basketball game will ya? If it was the coach or the AD?

No hard feeelings, your a good man.
              I dont want to make this political either, but Rush and others like him were the same one who said Bill Clinton would skate because he was a Liberal. And did he? Absolutely not. It was front page news every day. You fail to see that don't ya? Things will be no different if Obama fucks up. Who cares what he says about Rush? I don't. Rush is theater. Nothing more.

As far as big gov't taking over. It will happen when the media is gone. It won't be because Obama sees to it. The media in this country are struggling. Newspapers are closing their doors and filing bankruptcy. It won't be long.....When no one is around to watch these politicians, what do you think the outcome is going to be? I for one, want them right there in every community and every state watching every single one of them. From the mayor, to the governor to the president....

KAZ
              Last edited by KazDog; 01-27-2009, 09:06 PM.
              [email protected]

Comment

UNFAIR and UNBALACED ABOUT THIS STORY is that it's a story.Look,my 4 year old plays soccer and they don't keep score cause they don't want to make another team look bad.If you coach special kids and put them against some good schools than I blame that AD more than I do the coach of the school of the winners.The parents at those private schools are already protecting them enough from the real world so a loss in basketball might be a big lesson to them girls, that there parents can't pay for everything like wins in basketball.
                Well good for you! I happen to think it's bullshit....And for you to think that it's NOT a story, when it's obvious that the parents and the faculty and the administration and chat room forums and the largest news gathering organization in the world, the Associated Press, and the largest newpaper in Dallas, all think that it mattered, shows that YOU are in the minority. Good luck to you and your soccer players....

KAZ
                [email protected]

Comment

I dont want to make this political either, but Rush and others like him were the same one who said Bill Clinton would skate because he was a Liberal. And did he? Absolutely not. It was front page news every day. You fail to see that don't ya? Things will be no different if Obama fucks up. Who cares what he says about Rush? I don't. Rush is theater. Nothing more.

As far as big gov't taking over. It will happen when the media is gone. It won't be because Obama sees to it. The media in this country are struggling. Newspapers are closing their doors and filing bankruptcy. It won't be long.....When no one is around to watch these politicians, what do you think the outcome is going to be? I for one, want them right there in every community and every state watching every single one of them. From the mayor, to the governor to the president....

KAZ

Speaking of Governors, what do you think of Blagoyevich hitting the media circles instead of standing trial. I guess he knows he is toast and is trying to get some sort of sympathy, I mean really, appearing on the View and Oprah?? This kind of scum makes me want to throw up. Yet these media outlets will havve him on, why?? $$$$$$$$ Its all about the cash.
                  NBA is a joke

Comment

Speaking of Governors, what do you think of Blagoyevich hitting the media circles instead of standing trial. I guess he knows he is toast and is trying to get some sort of sympathy, I mean really, appearing on the View and Oprah?? This kind of scum makes me want to throw up. Yet these media outlets will havve him on, why?? $$$$$$$$ Its all about the cash.
                    Please....Dont associate the 'View' and 'Oprah' with legitimate media outlets. And FWIW, I don't consider many TV media outlets as legitimate either. Most of the time, they get their stories off the AP wire.

KAZ
                    [email protected]

Comment

Well good for you! I happen to think it's bullshit....And for you to think that it's NOT a story, when it's obvious that the parents and the faculty and the administration and chat room forums and the largest news gathering organization in the world, the Associated Press, and the largest newpaper in Dallas, all think that it mattered, shows that YOU are in the minority. Good luck to you and your soccer players....

KAZ
                      Dont put ..... like theres something else you want to say.What the fuck do you mean by "good luck to you and your soccer players".Cause if it's a shot at my kids you have way crossed the line and why else would you fuckin say that?You can disagree with me and call me whatever you want but you say something else in reference of my kids then me an you are going to have some serious problems.........

Comment

Please....Dont associate the 'View' and 'Oprah' with legitimate media outlets. And FWIW, I don't consider many TV media outlets as legitimate either. Most of the time, they get their stories off the AP wire.

KAZ

I dont, but you know that most ill-informed or less than intelligent people get thier daily dose form these types.
                        Sad, really.
                        NBA is a joke

Comment

Dont put ..... like theres something else you want to say.What the fuck do you mean by "good luck to you and your soccer players".Cause if it's a shot at my kids you have way crossed the line and why else would you fuckin say that?You can disagree with me and call me whatever you want but you say something else in reference of my kids then me an you are going to have some serious problems.........
                          F off Vols! I meant nothing by that comment other than good luck asshole. If you misread it, that's your own god damn problem. That was me trying to say, good luck with your team and players and that I was done talking to you about this. I dont wish ill will on other people contrary to some around here.....It was basically a sign off! Get a clue!
                          [email protected]

Comment

And for the record....I always use "....."

It means nothing. Quit trying to read into things.....
                            [email protected]

Comment

I dont, but you know that most ill-informed or less than intelligent people get thier daily dose form these types.
                              Sad, really.
                              As do many from Rush and his ilk....

KAZ
                              [email protected]

Comment

F off Vols! I meant nothing by that comment other than good luck asshole. If you misread it, that's your own god damn problem. That was me trying to say, good luck with your team and players and that I was done talking to you about this. I dont wish ill will on other people contrary to some around here.....It was basically a sign off! Get a clue!
                                Since I'm probably fixing to get banned from this thread and this site for a couple of days,I might as well get it all out.FUCK YOU mother fucker, like you meant good luck to my kids when your next response to me is "F off Vols and I meant nothing else by it other than good luck asshole.If you misread it thats your own god damn problem" Thats got anger written all over it if you ask me.I mentioned my kids play soccer and they don't keep score and since your ass don't never think your wrong you have to end a post with them.Don't forget,I have seen your skinny Gomer Pyle looking ass and guarantee you would be getting your ass kicked if we were man to man.I'm done with your ass and when I get back from my ban keep your ass away from me.

Sorry Spark and Monte,do what you got to do to me.I crossed the line but sometimes you got to do it.
                                Last edited by vols fan; 01-27-2009, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X