Where's the outrage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KazDog
    Almost everyone in this thread cried that this comment didn't get any publicity or mention.......Really?

Funny that it was mentioned in the largest newspaper in this country in the third paragraph in the first post of this thread. USAtoday printed it and put it online.

Mentioned as the lead to the story on AOL.com
    http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/...t-a-white-boy/

Mentioned as the lead to the story on NBC.com. And was written by the Associated Press. The largest media outlet in the world which was distributed to almost EVERY media publication in the world.
    http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/23243822/

That was only the first two I even tried to find. Who says that this hasn't been blown out of proportion? Does their need to be an Amber alert to satisfy the whites as equal coverage? Or maybe breaking up programming for an emergency alert? Maybe a Congressional hearing?

This is boxing. It's become about as hyped and about as phony as the WWF. No doubt the comments were ignorant and of poor taste. But let's not get carried away that this hasn't been publicized or NEEDS to be publicized any more than it was.

KAZ

THANK YOU KAZ THIS A BRAIN DEAD BOXER.

IM SURE THE USUAL SUSPECTS WOULD ACTUALLY GET OFF ON THIS BUT IM SURPRISED GUYS LIKE FRANK AND THE OTHERS BELIEVE THAT BERNARD HOPKINS IS INTELLIGENT AINT LISTENING TOO. GUYS HE IS A BOXER WHO PROBABLY CANT SPELL BERNARD SO EVEN IF HE SAID SOME STUPID WORDS WHY SHOULD ANYONE CARE.
    Last edited by musclemann; 04-05-2008, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by musclemann
      THANK YOU KAZ THIS A BRAIN DEAD BOXER.

IM SURE THE USUAL SUSPECTS WOULD ACTUALLY GET OFF ON THIS BUT IM SURPRISED GUYS LIKE FRANK AND THE OTHERS BELIEVE THAT BERNARD HOPKINS IS INTELLIGENT AINT LISTENING TOO. GUYS HE IS A BOXER WHO PROBABLY CANT SPELL BERNARD SO EVEN IF HE SAID SOME STUPID WORDS WHY SHOULD ANYONE CARE.
      So if it's not ok for Hopkins to say it b/c he's a "brain dead boxer", do you think it's ok for anyone to say?

And who should we care about saying things like this? Since you have eliminated boxers.
      Can Barack tell me what a "typical" white person is please?

Comment

Originally posted by dakingisdead
        So if it's not ok for Hopkins to say it b/c he's a "brain dead boxer", do you think it's ok for anyone to say?

And who should we care about saying things like this? Since you have eliminated boxers.

Its the same when Obama uses the term "typical white person" - maybe he is brain dead too???? Libs will excuse behavior that does not fit the agenda. The double standard continues.
        NBA is a joke

Comment

Come on man....If you're going to hold some idiot like this to higher intellectual standards, then you'd leave that open for just about anyone idiot who makes such a comment. Are boxers part of a secret intellectual society that I'm not aware of? Is there ANY reason to make a big deal of this, or anymore than I already pointed out?

It's NOT ok for anyone to say it, and I didn't see anywhere that MM said it was. Boxing is about as the least realistic sport next to WWF. Why should anything these guys say, who have always thrown verbal jabs at one another, be held to any intellectual standard?

It's dumb, he stated why, and it's time to move on....

KAZ
          [email protected]

I'm just here so I won't get fined....

Comment

Come on man....If you're going to hold some idiot like this to higher intellectual standards, then you'd leave that open for just about anyone idiot who makes such a comment. Are boxers part of a secret intellectual society that I'm not aware of? Is there ANY reason to make a big deal of this, or anymore than I already pointed out?

KAZ
            So you're telling me every comment from a white man that Jesse Jackson and Rev Sharp blow up are from this "intellectual society" you speak about? Quit making excuses...

Comment

It's NOT ok for anyone to say it, and I didn't see anywhere that MM said it was. Boxing is about as the least realistic sport next to WWF. Why should anything these guys say, who have always thrown verbal jabs at one another, be held to any intellectual standard?

It's dumb, he stated why, and it's time to move on....

KAZ
              I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment of MM's comment. I didn't write anywhere that I accused MM of condoning the statement, did I? I agree with both about the "just a boxer", as well as your intellectual standards comment, but then I ask you the question; who determines the standards and who they apply to? If we "excuse" boxers b/c they are boxers, then who else do we exclude? I think that is a legit question.

Comment

I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment of MM's comment. I didn't write anywhere that I accued MM of condoning the statement, did I? I agree with both about the "just a boxer", as well as your intellectual standards comment, but then I ask you the question; who determines the standards and who they apply to? If we "excuse" boxers b/c they are boxers, then who else do we exclude? I think that is a legit question.
                It is a legit question with no answer. We don't excuse it and it has been publicized as an indecent comment and that's really all that needs to be said. Standards apply to people that matter when they make comments such as his. Comments like this, in a boxing pre hype meet, where an idiot with the education of a 6th grader from the inner streets of Philly, DON'T MATTER like comments from someone of intellectual background.

Here's Hopkins comments after he made the comment....

Hopkins said: "I wanted to test the pulse.

"I knew it would get under his skin and it did. I smell fear in people that others can't because of where I've come from.

"Everyone knows I'm not a racist. Most of my team are white and that includes my coach.

"What I said was a social comment.

"Where I come from, in the North Philly projects, in the State Penitentiary and especially in the boxing rings, I never saw a white face.

"So it's unacceptable to me that a white guy can defeat me after where I've had to drag myself up from."

You guys are making a big deal out of this, and my point is, why should we? He's a boxer getting into his opponents head and used a poor choice of words. Do I think Sharpton or Jackson would make a big deal of this if the role was changed? Absolutely not. They're not that stupid to pick such an idiot sport or idiot athlete to go to battle for.....

KAZ
                Last edited by KazDog; 04-06-2008, 12:36 AM.
                [email protected]

Comment

It is a legit question with no answer. We don't excuse it and it has been publicized as an indecent comment and that's really all that needs to be said. Standards apply to people that matter when they make comments such as his. Comments like this, in a boxing pre hype meet, where an idiot with the education of a 6th grader from the inner streets of Philly, DON'T MATTER like comments from someone of intellectual background.

Here's Hopkins comments after he made the comment....

Hopkins said: "I wanted to test the pulse.

"I knew it would get under his skin and it did. I smell fear in people that others can't because of where I've come from.

"Everyone knows I'm not a racist. Most of my team are white and that includes my coach.

"What I said was a social comment.

"Where I come from, in the North Philly projects, in the State Penitentiary and especially in the boxing rings, I never saw a white face.

"So it's unacceptable to me that a white guy can defeat me after where I've had to drag myself up from."

You guys are making a big deal out of this, and my point is, why should we? He's a boxer getting into his opponents head and used a poor choice of words. Do I think Sharpton or Jackson would make a big deal of this if the role was changed? Absolutely not. They're not that stupid to pick such an idiot sport or idiot athlete to go to battle for.....

KAZ
                  So what are your thoughts on Obama's "typical white person" comment?
                  Certainly he would be considered coming from an intellectual background.
                  And I guess by your standards, Imus is considered an intellectual giant also, since sharpton went after him?
                  And I am not making a big deal out of his comments, but trying to keep the dialogue about race open.
                  Last edited by dakingisdead; 04-06-2008, 12:40 AM.

Comment

And I am not making a big deal out of his comments, but trying to keep the dialogue about race open.
                    I don't know where it came from and I'm only getting it from you so I don't know the context. Can't answer that without knowing the context. Provide it and I'll answer how I feel about it.

KAZ
                    [email protected]

Comment

And I guess by your standards, Imus is considered an intellectual giant also, since sharpton went after him?
                      Can you possibly even compare IMUS with Hopkins on an intellectual basis and how many people believe and di-gest what IMUS says on a nationally syndicated show? Those two are worlds apart as far as public forum is concerned or intellect for that matter...

KAZ
                      [email protected]

Comment

I don't know where it came from and I'm only getting it from you so I don't know the context. Can't answer that without knowing the context. Provide it and I'll answer how I feel about it.

KAZ
                        In obama's earth-changing speech on race, trying to stop the bleeding in the polls with the wright controversy, Sen Obama was talking about his white grandmother, saying that she said things in the past that offended him, and that she shared with him her fears of black people, "like a typical white person". I don't want my explanation to be your only reading, so I would look at the entire text. But isn't it odd that you wouldn't have heard a story like that? Certainly if mccain had used "typical black person" in ANY context, the republicans would be looking for a new nominee; wouldn't you agree?

Comment

Can you possibly even compare IMUS with Hopkins on an intellectual basis and how many people believe and di-gest what IMUS says on a nationally syndicated show? Those two are worlds apart as far as public forum is concerned or intellect for that matter...

KAZ
                          I addressed that when you said that sharpton or jackson wouldn't take up the cause for hopkins if it had been said about him. (typical black guy)

Comment

In obama's earth-changing speech on race, trying to stop the bleeding in the polls with the wright controversy, Sen Obama was talking about his white grandmother, saying that she said things in the past that offended him, and that she shared with him her fears of black people, "like a typical white person". I don't want my explanation to be your only reading, so I would look at the entire text. But isn't it odd that you wouldn't have heard a story like that? Certainly if mccain had used "typical black person" in ANY context, the republicans would be looking for a new nominee; wouldn't you agree?
                            I will go by your explanation since I don't feel like looking it up....

IF Obama made the comment that his 'white grandmother' said she had fears of black people, "like a typical white person." I don't see that as so onerous.

IF McCain said that his 'black grandmother' had fears of white people "like a typical black person." I don't see how that comment would so onerous either.

I think it's safe to say and not racist at all, that black people and white people have fears of one another. Would a political propaganda machine try and put their own spin on it? I believe they would. Would there be possibly more outrage from blacks? Given that we killed and enslaved their ancestor's, I would probably say, yes.....

KAZ
                            Last edited by KazDog; 04-06-2008, 01:03 AM.
                            [email protected]

Comment

I addressed that when you said that sharpton or jackson wouldn't take up the cause for hopkins if it had been said about him. (typical black guy)
                              I don't get where you're coming from. Those guys would go after IMUS because he is in a completely different place than Hopkins as far as public forum or intellectual level goes. And no we shouldn't be holding Hopkins to IMUS's intellectual standards.

KAZ
                              [email protected]

Comment

I will go by your explanation since I don't feel like looking it up....

IF Obama made the comment that his 'white grandmother' said she had fears of black people, "like a typical white person." I don't see that as so onerous.

IF McCain said that his 'black grandmother' had fears of white people "like a typical black person." I don't see how that comment would so onerous either.

I think it's safe to say and not racist at all, that black people and white people have fears of one another. Would a political propaganda machine try and put their own spin on it? I believe they would. Would there be possibly more outrage from blacks? Given that we killed and enslaved their ancestor's, I would probably say, yes.....

KAZ
                                So you don't see the use of the phrase "typical white person" as including and offending MANY people who might not fall into his narrow assessment of the white race?

And I respectfully disagree with how you see the hypothetical Mccain comment. There would a MAJOR story and blowup. Just look at the coverage you provided links for when a racial comment was made by a "brain dead boxer".

VERY odd how that the obama "typical white person" comment story never got front page news or the scrutiny it deserved.

Comment

Working...
                                X