Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bum's 2017 College Football Picks-Trends-News Etc. !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuesday’s six-pack

— Mets named Indians pitching coach Mickey Calloway their new manager.

— Red Sox will name Astros bench coach Alex Cora their new manager.

— Last year’s Houston Rockets tried 40+ 3-pointers in half of their 82 games; the team with next highest number in one season was 12 games- the Rockets in 2015.

— UTEP, Oregon State, Georgia Southern have all fired their football coach, and the World Series hasn’t even started yet.

— When Chargers shut Denver out 21-0 Sunday, it was the first time the Broncos had been shut out since 1992.

— Eagles 34, Redskins 24— Kirk Cousins is now 0-9 on weeknights, 0-6 on Monday nights.

Tuesday’s List of 13: Nobody asked me, but……..

13) Statistics are fun, they can be educational, but they can also be really misleading; take the Carolina Panthers’ defensive stats, which should be really good this week, because Carolina’s offense was so terrible that Chicago scored two defensive TD’s early on, then just sat on their 14-0 lead and didn’t even try to score with the ball. Bears had five first downs, gained 153 yards on 37 plays for the whole game, but they won by two TD’s. Very unusual.

12) I’d be curious to know in all the fantasy football leagues around the country, what the teams’ records were in Week 7 that had Aaron Rodgers on them? I had Rodgers on my team when he got hurt in 2013; lets just say things didn’t go too well from that point on.

11) We post the six most popular picks in the Westgate SuperContest each week; thru seven weeks, those picks are just 15-27 vs spread, which means sports books are making a killing so far this season. Handicapping the NFL is a minefield that is very tough to navigate.

10) Cleveland Browns’ tackle Joe Thomas played 10 years and six games without missing a single play, a streak more impressive than Cal Ripken’s iron man streak, but he got hurt Sunday and is now out for the season with a triceps injury. Thomas is a future Hall of Famer.

9) Cubs fired pitching coach Chris Bosio; they won the World Series last year, did Bosio get a lot dumber all of a sudden?

San Francisco Giants also re-assigned most of their coaches, including pitching coach Dave Righetti, who had been in that job since 2000. Giants won three World Series in this decade; maybe they should re-assign the person who put together such an aging roster this past season.

8) Army’s football team has already accepted a bowl bid, to the Armed Forces Bowl on Dec 23. At 6-2, the Cadets are having a breakthrough season.

7) Ole Miss QB Shea Patterson is out for the year after getting hurt against LSU Saturday nite. Been a rough year for the Rebels, who are playing with an interim head coach.

6) Dallas Cowboys kicker Dan Bailey tweaked a leg muscle in San Francisco Sunday; one of the Cowboys’ safeties (Jeff Heath) kicked a field goal, banking it in off the right upright. Cowboys are holding tryouts for a backup kicker this week.

5) This is how competitive pro golf is around the world: In fall of 2016, 30 guys won their cards for the European Tour for 2017 at Q-School. Of those 30 guys, only two have their cards for 2018.

4) Michigan State has a running back named LJ Scott who is pretty good, but he’s been arrested seven times, all for roughly the same thing— unpaid traffic tickets, driving without a license or with a suspended license. How do they keep letting him play? It is mostly harmless stuff, but it shows a lack of respect for rules and sends a bad message that he is playing.

Back in the day, my man Jerry Tarkanian would’ve done this: assign a staff member to take care of his traffic issues for him. Drive him to DMV to pay his fines and renew his license. The better the kid was, the more important it was to keep him eligible and out of trouble.

3) I’m watching 76ers-Pistons game as I type this; game is in Detroit’s new downtown arena and the crowd there is really small. Does every NBA team make money?

2) Denver Broncos have played two road games, scoring one TD on 23 drives; should they explore trading for Eli Manning? Giants are on their bye week; Denver could use a QB. Giants might need to start a rebuilding process.

1) Cleveland Browns should sign Colin Kaepernick; it would diffuse his lawsuit against the NFL, then people could see in plain view whether he is still good enough to keep playing in the league. Plus, there is no way he is worse than the three suspects who’ve been playing QB for the Browns this season. Then they can draft a top-flight QB prospect next April and move on.
    Remember the 3 G's Gambling, Golf, Girls not in any particular order.....

Comment

• Opening Line Report - Week 9
      October 23, 2017

Penn State at Ohio State (3:30 p.m. ET, FOX)

The Big Ten game of the year, opened Ohio State -6.5 on Sunday at the Wynn, where it was bet up -7 within minutes, before making its way back down the ladder past its original number to -6.

While the line was as cheap as -5 at Stations on Sunday, it settled at -6 across town by Monday afternoon.

As far as Westgate SuperBook oddsmaker Ed Salmons is concerned, anything less than a touchdown makes for a nice price on the Buckeyes.

“If this game was lined last week, before Penn State beat Michigan (42-13 on Saturday), it would have been a little more than 7, so I think you’re getting value with Ohio State laying 6. I think they’re just a little bit better than Penn State and they had the bye week.”

Penn State’s win over the Wolverines improved its record to 7-0 and vaulted he Nittany Lions to No. 2 in the national rankings. But Ohio State’s current form may be even more impressive. Since they lost to Oklahoma in Week 2, none of the Buckeyes’ next five opponents have come close to them, and they’ve put up 50-plus points against their last four.

N.C. State at Notre Dame (-7.5), 3:30 p.m. ET, NBC

Speaking of excellent current form, both N.C. State and Notre Dame are exhibiting plenty of that. The Wolfpack haven’t lost since opening week against South Carolina, and the Irish have won and covered five in row since their Week 2 loss to Georgia.

The Wynn opened Notre Dame -7 and was bet as high as -8, before settling at -7.5.

Salmons has been high on both teams all year, but as the season has gone on, he’s become less impressed with N.C. State’s resume.

“If you asked me (earlier in the season if N.C. State could win in South Bend) I may have said yes, but now I say no,” he said, throwing cold water on some of the Wolfpack’s successes.

“It’s obvious that Florida State is nowhere near the team that we thought they were. The more (the Seminoles) play, the less impressive that N.C. State win over Florida State looks,” Salmons said. “And beating Louisville at the time looked like a really good win, but Louisville seems way down from where they had been last year.”

Georgia vs. Florida, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS

Georgia’s quest to remain unbeaten figures to be met with little resistance at the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party in Jacksonville, at least based on the betting market, which has made the Bulldogs at two-touchdown favorite.

While Florida has beaten Georgia three straight seasons, Salmons believes the Gators will have to play uncharacteristically well on offense to keep Saturday’s game close.

“They’re going to have to score some points,” Salmons said. “Historically, they’ve always kept it close against Georgia, they usually do well.”

But he lamented, “It’s shocking how bad Florida has become. Their offense has never gotten better since (Will) Muschamp (took over for Urban Meyer in 2011). .... It just gets worse and worse and worse (under Jim McElwain).

Oklahoma State (-7.5) at West Virginia, 12 p.m. ET, ABC

Sharps don’t seem concerned about what appears to be a particularly difficult spot for Oklahoma State, as they bet the Wynn’s opening line of -6 all the way up to -7.5.

How tough a spot is this for the Cowboys?

Well, after winning in overtime at Texas, they have to travel east for their second straight road game, and next week, they get Oklahoma.

Said Salmons, “Teams that give Oklahoma State the most trouble are teams that can score a bunch of points. Texas struggled on offense last week, but I’m pretty sure West Virginia will score a bunch of points in this game.

It’s just a question of whether the West Virginia defense can get enough stops. With the crowd and all that, you would think they’ll get some turnover and a couple stops. With that and their defense, I think they can win.”

TCU (-6) at Iowa State, 3:30, ABC/ESPN2

Early bettors took Iowa State +6.5 at the Wynn, but according to Salmons, the number would have been much bigger had this game been played a few weeks ago. Salmons said the quarterback switch from Jacob Park to Kyle Kempt has been massive for the Cyclones.

“They’ve improved their play by about 7 points to their number” since Kempt’s first start on Oct. 7 at Oklahoma, a 38-31 Iowa State win, Salmons said.

“If this spread was made a few weeks ago, it would have been easily double digits,” Salmons said. “It’s such a low spread, but I certainly wouldn’t want to bet TCU because that environment is going to be amazing for Iowa State at home. It’s the biggest game in probably 10 years there.”

Comment

• Iowa State looks for another big upset
        October 23, 2017

While it's not a surprise that Iowa State has improved in Matt Campbell's second season as head coach, only the most optimistic of fans would have predicted a spot in the Top 25 in October.

But that's where Iowa State is -- No. 25 as it prepares for Saturday's game against undefeated TCU.

The secret to the team's three-game winning streak isn't complicated.

"Our recipe for success is don't make mistakes, don't turn the ball over, force them to make some mistakes, and when they do, you got to do a great job of winning situational football," Campbell said.

"We can look back for the last three weeks, that's been our recipe for success. When we've lost, we've been the ones that made the mistakes."

No. 4 Texas Christian (7-0, 5-2 Big 12) tops the conference standings. Kenny Hill is coming off a five-touchdown game against Kansas. Even with the game in Ames, this is a tough task for the Cyclones.

But at 5-2, simple bowl eligibility seems like too modest of a goal. A win on Saturday puts Iowa State -- tied for second in the league at 3-1 -- in Big 12 title contention, and improves the team's postseason position. And with one victory already over a top-five team -- Oklahoma -- why not a second?

"Ever since that win at Oklahoma, our confidence is crazy now," wide receiver Allen Lazard said after last week's win at Texas Tech.

"We trust each other. We trust what the coaches are doing. We trust ourselves that we'll be able to go out there and make plays when the time matters. Just knowing that we can rely on each other, it helps us keep our poise and be able to go out there and execute in critical situations every day."

Campbell expects his team will be ready, just as it's been for every opponent during its current run of success.

"You can make every game the biggest game in the world, if you want to, but it's the next game. Obviously, we've got a lot of respect for the team that comes in, but we've got respect for every opponent we play," Campbell said.

"We've got to worry about us. We got a lot of work to do. There's a lot of things we have to improve from today if we want to continue to be the team we want to become."

NOTES: Iowa State QB Kyle Kempt is 3-0 since becoming the starter before the Oklahoma game, and he has completed 69 percent of his pass attempts this season. ... LB Marcel Spears Jr. earned Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week honors, with seven tackles and a pick-six against Texas Tech. ... LB Willie Harvey is coming off a career-high 14 tackles last week against Texas Tech.

Comment

• Michigan still aiming for lofty goals despite losing 2 of 3
          October 23, 2017

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) Michigan aimed high before the first snap of the season, publicly and privately saying a Big Ten championship and spot in the College Football Playoff were goals.

It looks like it is time for Plan B.

The Wolverines (5-2, 2-2 Big Ten) have lost two of their last three games, probably putting those goals out of reach.

Michigan is two games behind the division leaders, No. 2 Penn State, No. 6 Ohio State and No. 16 Michigan State. The Wolverines were routed by the Nittany Lions on Saturday and lost by four points to the Spartans at home.

Outside of the program, there's probably no one that thinks this is the year the Wolverines will win a conference title for the first time since 2004. Winning a national championship for the first time in two decades appears to be even more of a longshot after the Wolverines have plummeted out of The Associated Press Top 25 for the first time in two-plus years.

''You don't want it to be this way, but things are not necessarily in our hands anymore,'' offensive tackle Juwann Bushell-Beatty acknowledged Monday - even if the Wolverines win the rest of their games, including on the road against No. 5 Wisconsin and at home against the rival Buckeyes.

Bushell-Beatty and his teammates insisted, though, that they're not giving up their preseason hopes and dreams.

''Our goal was to win the Big Ten, and make the playoff,'' receiver Grant Perry said. ''Whether or not that's a possibility, it's still up in the air. Anything can happen. We're going to keep playing like that's our goal and keep trying to win and play well.''

Michigan's next chance to keep its high hopes alive, at least mathematically, will be against Rutgers (5-2, 2-2) on Saturday afternoon at home. The Scarlet Knights have won two straight to pull into a fourth-place tie with the reeling Wolverines, who are coming off a 42-13 loss at Penn State.

''We've all moved on from this past Saturday and we're ready to see what Rutgers brings to the table,'' Perry said. ''We're ready to get after it and prove ourselves.''

The Wolverines have a lot to prove.

Their offensive line is struggling to protect backup John O'Korn, who is missing open receivers when he does have a rare opportunity to scan the field. The problems with the passing game have affected the running game, which hasn't been a consistent asset for the low-scoring offense.

Michigan had been able to lean on its defense before its weaknesses were exposed against the Nittany Lions. Penn State moved the ball seemingly at will. As if the result wasn't embarrassing enough, cornerback Lavert Hill extended the middle fingers on his hands and put them up in the air as he walked off the field at Penn State.

''I sincerely regret my inappropriate gesture at the end of Saturday's football game,'' Hill said in a statement released by the school. ''I let my emotions get the best of me and learned a valuable lesson. I am truly sorry for this offensive gesture and vow that it will not happen again.''

Comment

• Meyer seeking revenge against PSU
            October 23, 2017

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) Ohio State coach Urban Meyer was direct when asked whether his players will be motivated by revenge in the long-awaited showdown with No. 2 Penn State this weekend.

If the idea of avenging last year's upset loss at Happy Valley gets his guys worked up, he might be able to use it.

''You've got to figure you're dealing with youngsters,'' Meyer said Monday. ''Is revenge a motivator? Hell yeah, it is.

''I'm not saying this will be it,'' he said. ''There have been times we used it and we looked silly using it, and there are times it worked. I don't know yet. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday isn't about that; it's about execution of a game plan and focus.''

A year ago, Ohio State was No. 2 and rolling along at 6-0 when unranked Penn State pulled off the 24-21 upset . Grant Haley returned a blocked field goal 60 yards for a touchdown with 4:27 left in the game, and the Nittany Lions sacked J.T. Barrett twice on Ohio State's final possession to seal perhaps the biggest victory to date for Penn State in the post-Joe Paterno era.

''I think we were just stunned,'' defensive end Sam Hubbard said. ''We didn't respect a really good opponent and kind of took winning for granted.''

The loss seemed to throw them out of sorts. The offense couldn't quite find the sweet spot again after that on the way to being embarrassed by Clemson in the College Football Playoff.

''I'll kind of listen and watch,'' Meyer said of whether he'll play the revenge card with his players before Saturday's home game. ''I think you're talking about 18-, 19-, 20-year-olds. We've used (revenge) quite a bit, and then other times, we moved on.''

This time, it's Penn State that is undefeated and ranked No. 2 behind Alabama. The Buckeyes, after blowing out lesser teams for five straight weeks, have climbed back up to No. 6 after a loss to Oklahoma in Week Two sent them tumbling in the polls. They have improved on both sides of the ball.

Penn State got a little revenge of its own last Saturday by routing Michigan, flipping the script from last season.

The upcoming game at Ohio Stadium is a must-win for the Buckeyes, whose chances of returning to the playoff will disappear with another loss. A loss won't be fatal for Penn State, but the Nittany Lions will have to muscle their way out of a glut of other one-loss teams to get to make the final four.

Penn State running back Saquon Barkley insisted that last year's game has nothing to do with this one.

''I wouldn't say we can really talk about how we changed because that was last year's team, this is a new team,'' said Barkley, who leads the nation with 211.1 all-purpose yards per game. ''Obviously, we have a lot of guys coming back, but that is last year. That season is in the past, and this season is here, and we are able to get a good start going.''

Still, Penn State cornerback Christian Campbell said this game has been circled on the calendar since last summer.

''We have been wanting this for a long time,'' he said. ''I believe it's going to be pretty exciting. I can't wait.''

Comment

• Fedora isn't making major changes at UNC
              October 23, 2017

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) These days, North Carolina coach Larry Fedora is staring at game film looking for something positive, even if it's just a freshman wide receiver blocking the right guy on a play.

Everything has turned into a struggle for the Tar Heels in a lost season, one done in by a bad mix of inexperience and injuries. They're coming off a 52-point loss that essentially ensured a bowl-less postseason, but the sixth-year coach said Monday he isn't making major changes after guiding the Tar Heels (1-7, 0-5 Atlantic Coast Conference) to four straight bowl games and a trip to the league championship game just two seasons ago.

''I'm not shaky about my philosophy,'' Fedora said two days after a 59-7 loss at Virginia Tech that stands as the worst of his tenure. ''I'm not questioning whether I can coach. I'm not questioning whether our coaches can coach. I'm not questioning those kind of things.

''I know what we're doing and the way we're doing things, it's proven. You've got to put your nose down, your head down, and you keep grinding and you keep doing it ... and eventually good things are going to happen.''

So much of Fedora's approach has focused on the fast-paced, no-huddle offense that routinely put up big numbers in his first five seasons. The Tar Heels are still running the scheme with redshirt freshman Chazz Surratt at quarterback surrounded by young running backs and receivers, and Fedora - who made his name as an offensive coordinator at Florida and Oklahoma State - has said he would get more involved in play-calling duties.

But the unit that long provided plenty of cover for defensive lapses has sputtered to a combined 38 points in the past four games - a total Fedora's Tar Heels exceeded in 27 games before this season. And the defense has surrendered seven touchdowns of at least 50 yards.

Then there are the injuries, with 16 players lost for the season and five others ruled out for the Virginia Tech loss.

And things don't get easier with No. 8 Miami arriving Saturday, either.

UNC had never won fewer than six games under Fedora and reached a bowl in four of his first five seasons. The exception was his first year, when the Tar Heels won eight games but missed a trip to the ACC title game due to a postseason ban for NCAA violations before his arrival.

His only losing season here came in 2014, when the Tar Heels finished 6-7 after a bowl loss to Rutgers. And two years ago, the Tar Heels won 11 games and played in the ACC championship game - which ultimately secured a new seven-year contract for Fedora through the 2022 season.

Asked how he measures the team's improvement at this point, Fedora said he was looking ''for the little things, the small silver linings in the details.''

''We're going to focus on this game and the goal will be to win this football game and do whatever we need to do to be successful and that's it,'' Fedora said. ''That's what it'll be every week. That won't change.''

Comment

• UCF staying focused, not looking ahead
                October 23, 2017

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) UCF is in uncharted territory.

The Knights are 6-0 for the first time in school history, ranked 18th in the country and looking the part of a formidable non-Power Five conference title contender.

Lost in the significance and pageantry of Saturday's American Athletic Conference road win at Navy is that the Knights became bowl eligible - an accomplishment that last year caused quite a celebration around the program. But that was when UCF was coming off a 0-12 campaign.

This time around the Knights have loftier aspirations than merely being bowl eligible.

''Yeah, we get to go to a bowl game but we have bigger things to accomplish,'' UCF senior right guard Chavis Dickey said. ''We want to win the conference, go to a good bowl game and stuff like that.''

Second-year coach Scott Frost seemed almost surprised to hear Monday that the Knights are bowl eligible. Maybe that is partly because Frost is so locked in on this week's opponent, Austin Peay, or perhaps because the current path the Knights are on could land them the AAC championship, a top 10 ranking and in a New Year's Six bowl game.

"I think the guys are taking it one week at a time but I think in the back of their minds they have bigger goals than just to make it to a bowl game,'' said Frost, whose team played in the AutoNation Cure Bowl last year. ''So far they have done what it has taken to get them to the point that they can have bigger goals than that.''

After beating Navy 31-21 in their closest game of the season, the Knights and 17th-ranked USF appear on a collision course to meet as undefeated, top-10 AAC teams in their regular-season finale on Nov.24. As far as UCF is concerned there are too many potential pitfalls in their next four games to even begin to think about a possible showdown against the Bulls.

The Knights insist they aren't overlooking any team, especially FCS-member Austin Peay (5-3). The Governors were an in-season addition to the schedule after UCF's home game against Georgia Tech was canceled due to Hurricane Irma in September.

''We respect them,'' UCF senior defensive end Tony Guerad said of Austin Peay. ''We know they are going to come in and play hard and we've got to play harder.''

The Governors have lost their two FBS games this season, which includes a 26-14 season-opening loss to Cincinnati of AAC and the only opponent they have in common with UCF this season. The Knights thumped Cincinnati, 51-23, in a game that went only three quarters due to weather earlier this month.

Frost, who has managed to keep his team focused only on what is directly in front of it, said not looking ahead to next week's game at SMU is more important this week than any other.

''This is a big game for us,'' said Frost, whose team was originally scheduled to have bye this week before scheduling Austin Peay. ''Anytime you've accomplished what we've accomplished to this point the last thing in the world you want to do is have any kind of letdown. This is a team that I think is a really good FCS team. They gave Cincinnati everything Cincinnati wanted early in the year.

''We've got to approach this just like any other game and that's the way our kids showed up to practice.''

Comment

• Two SEC playoff teams should be last option
                  October 23, 2017

ATHENS, Ga. (AP) Alabama and Georgia are on a collision course that will likely come to a head at the Southeastern Conference championship game.

Two quality teams, for sure.

Both making a strong case for a spot in the College Football Playoff.

At the moment, there's only room for one.

Now that Alabama and Georgia are rolling along with unbeaten records and holding two of the top three spots in The Associated Press rankings, it's only natural to wonder if both could wind up in the playoff - regardless of who wins the SEC crown.

In the brief history of the four-team format, which began in 2014, no conference has claimed half the berths.

There's no apparent reason for that to change this season, even if the top-ranked Crimson Tide and No. 3 Bulldogs each go 12-0 in the regular season and play a competitive game for the SEC title.

Georgia coach Kirby Smart shied away from any talk about playoff scenarios on Monday.

''I have no idea,'' he told reporters. ''I'm going to leave that to you guys.''

The playoff committee has made it clear that conference championships are a major consideration in the selection process, as they should be. There might come a season when that priority has to be put aside to ensure the two best teams have a shot at the national title, but that should be a truly exceptional circumstance.

This isn't it.

Not yet, anyway.

Let's face it, the SEC isn't the same powerhouse league it was a few years ago.

Alabama is very good, and Georgia probably is too.

Beyond that?

Yuck.

No. 19 Auburn and No. 23 LSU are the SEC's only other ranked teams, largely by default. LSU lost at home to Troy , for heaven's sake. Auburn struggled to beat FCS school Mercer and squandered a fourth-quarter lead at LSU .

The rest of the conference is nothing but mediocrity, and that's being kind. Traditional powers such as Florida and Tennessee are down (in the case of the Volunteers, way down and probably already sniffing around for a new coach ). Missouri looks hopelessly overmatched in the SEC. Arkansas has failed to get anything going under Bret Bielema, one of several coaches on the hot seat. Ole Miss is in the crosshairs of the NCAA and facing a bleak future. Kentucky is waiting for basketball season, as usual. Vanderbilt is, well, Vanderbilt.

An unbeaten run through that motley crew wouldn't necessarily be worthy of a second playoff berth, though there are a few caveats that might shake things up.

What if Alabama, a four-time national champion under Nick Saban and perennial contender most of the last decade, goes 12-0 in the regular season but loses a close one to Georgia in the SEC title game? The Crimson Tide probably deserves a few bonus points for its undeniable position as college football's dominant program.

Georgia, in its second season under Saban's former defensive coordinator and still a bit of a work in progress, hasn't really earned that sort of second-chance consideration. But what if a fourth playoff spot comes down to the Bulldogs and Notre Dame, both with one loss? It's hard to see how the committee takes the Fighting Irish, which lost at home to Georgia.

Florida coach Jim McElwain said there's no reason to limit the SEC to one team if two are deserving, and he's right to a degree.

If a bunch of teams knock each other off - and, as it is, there are only four other unbeaten schools left from the Power Five conferences - the playoff committee could be forced to pick a pair of SEC teams.

''If they're part of the best four teams, they ought to be in it,'' McElwain said. ''With that being said, there's a lot of ball to be played before they anoint those four.''

The committee shouldn't break the glass on the two-teams-from-one-conference option unless it's a true emergency. We're reminded of the 2011 season, when LSU won the SEC with a perfect record - including an overtime victory in Tuscaloosa - then had to face the one-loss Crimson Tide again in the BCS championship game.

They were the best teams in the country, without a doubt. Alabama certainly proved that by romping to a 21-0 victory and claiming the national title.

But the rematch wasn't really fair to LSU.

''There's a natural motivation for the team that does not win the championship at the conference level,'' former LSU Les Miles said Monday evening. ''They get to the side and they plan and they work and there's a stronger commitment than the team that looks back on a hard-fought victory, but a victory nonetheless, a victory that they won. Their head coach did a great job of redirecting their motivation and putting them in the right frame of mind.''

As for LSU, it was hard to muster that same motivation for a rematch against the Crimson Tide.

''Once you've beaten a team, it takes a special view of how to get them ready to beat that team again,'' Miles said. ''I don't know that I did a great job.''

With the initial CFP rankings set to be released next week, there's a good chance Alabama and Georgia will be in the foursome.

That's OK for now.

If it's that way come December, it will be time to discuss something new.

''This conversation,'' Miles said, ''is the exact reason why at some point in time they're going to view the playoff system and say they need to add two teams or add four teams. You always want to make sure you include the best teams.''

Comment

• Tuesday’s six-pack

— Mets named Indians pitching coach Mickey Calloway their new manager.

— Red Sox will name Astros bench coach Alex Cora their new manager.

— Last year’s Houston Rockets tried 40+ 3-pointers in half of their 82 games; the team with next highest number in one season was 12 games- the Rockets in 2015.

— UTEP, Oregon State, Georgia Southern have all fired their football coach, and the World Series hasn’t even started yet.

— When Chargers shut Denver out 21-0 Sunday, it was the first time the Broncos had been shut out since 1992.

— Eagles 34, Redskins 24— Kirk Cousins is now 0-9 on weeknights, 0-6 on Monday nights.

Tuesday’s List of 13: Nobody asked me, but……..

13) Statistics are fun, they can be educational, but they can also be really misleading; take the Carolina Panthers’ defensive stats, which should be really good this week, because Carolina’s offense was so terrible that Chicago scored two defensive TD’s early on, then just sat on their 14-0 lead and didn’t even try to score with the ball. Bears had five first downs, gained 153 yards on 37 plays for the whole game, but they won by two TD’s. Very unusual.

12) I’d be curious to know in all the fantasy football leagues around the country, what the teams’ records were in Week 7 that had Aaron Rodgers on them? I had Rodgers on my team when he got hurt in 2013; lets just say things didn’t go too well from that point on.

11) We post the six most popular picks in the Westgate SuperContest each week; thru seven weeks, those picks are just 15-27 vs spread, which means sports books are making a killing so far this season. Handicapping the NFL is a minefield that is very tough to navigate.

10) Cleveland Browns’ tackle Joe Thomas played 10 years and six games without missing a single play, a streak more impressive than Cal Ripken’s iron man streak, but he got hurt Sunday and is now out for the season with a triceps injury. Thomas is a future Hall of Famer.

9) Cubs fired pitching coach Chris Bosio; they won the World Series last year, did Bosio get a lot dumber all of a sudden?

San Francisco Giants also re-assigned most of their coaches, including pitching coach Dave Righetti, who had been in that job since 2000. Giants won three World Series in this decade; maybe they should re-assign the person who put together such an aging roster this past season.

8) Army’s football team has already accepted a bowl bid, to the Armed Forces Bowl on Dec 23. At 6-2, the Cadets are having a breakthrough season.

7) Ole Miss QB Shea Patterson is out for the year after getting hurt against LSU Saturday nite. Been a rough year for the Rebels, who are playing with an interim head coach.

6) Dallas Cowboys kicker Dan Bailey tweaked a leg muscle in San Francisco Sunday; one of the Cowboys’ safeties (Jeff Heath) kicked a field goal, banking it in off the right upright. Cowboys are holding tryouts for a backup kicker this week.

5) This is how competitive pro golf is around the world: In fall of 2016, 30 guys won their cards for the European Tour for 2017 at Q-School. Of those 30 guys, only two have their cards for 2018.

4) Michigan State has a running back named LJ Scott who is pretty good, but he’s been arrested seven times, all for roughly the same thing— unpaid traffic tickets, driving without a license or with a suspended license. How do they keep letting him play? It is mostly harmless stuff, but it shows a lack of respect for rules and sends a bad message that he is playing.

Back in the day, my man Jerry Tarkanian would’ve done this: assign a staff member to take care of his traffic issues for him. Drive him to DMV to pay his fines and renew his license. The better the kid was, the more important it was to keep him eligible and out of trouble.

3) I’m watching 76ers-Pistons game as I type this; game is in Detroit’s new downtown arena and the crowd there is really small. Does every NBA team make money?

2) Denver Broncos have played two road games, scoring one TD on 23 drives; should they explore trading for Eli Manning? Giants are on their bye week; Denver could use a QB. Giants might need to start a rebuilding process.

1) Cleveland Browns should sign Colin Kaepernick; it would diffuse his lawsuit against the NFL, then people could see in plain view whether he is still good enough to keep playing in the league. Plus, there is no way he is worse than the three suspects who’ve been playing QB for the Browns this season. Then they can draft a top-flight QB prospect next April and move on.

Comment

• Florida feeling confident vs Georgia
                      October 24, 2017

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) Florida sure doesn't sound like a double-digit underdog against third-ranked Georgia.

The Gators made it clear Monday that they're the ones to beat in the rivalry known as ''The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party.'' They have won three in a row in the series and 21 of the last 27, the main reason players seemed unfazed to hear they are two touchdown underdogs against the undefeated Bulldogs.

''We haven't lost to Georgia in the last three years; our seniors have never lost to Georgia,'' Florida receiver Josh Hammond said. ''That brings a lot of confidence to us, just knowing that Georgia isn't a team that we lose to. So I think that's the message in the locker room right now.

''They might be the No. (3) team in the country, but they can't beat Florida. That's our mentality going forward, and we'll come out and be ready to play.''

According to online gaming site Bovada, Florida (3-3, 3-2 Southeastern Conference) hasn't been as big of an underdog against Georgia (7-0, 4-0) since at least 1985. That's as far back as the site's records stretch.

Since then, Florida has been a double-digit dog just once against Georgia. The Bulldogs were favored by 11 + points in 2014 and lost 38-20.

Georgia opened as 14 +-point favorites for Saturday's game in nearby Jacksonville.

''It's motivational,'' Gators linebacker Kylan Johnson said. ''It's very motivational to be the underdog in a game. (We) kind of like being like that, too. Going in as the underdog, people just expect you not to win. They think you don't have a chance.

''But when you come in and you play ball and you end up on top, it's a little bit of respect factor.''

The Gators have dropped two straight by a combined three points, losing to LSU and Texas A&M at home, and are on the brink of elimination in the SEC's Eastern Division.

Coach Jim McElwain also is getting plenty of heat for a third consecutive year of lackluster offense. The Gators rank 102nd in the country in total yards, partly because they've been down more than 20 scholarship players due to recent injuries and season-long suspensions . McElwain refuses to use those as excuses.

Nonetheless, Florida still can salvage the season. But only with another victory - a huge upset this time - against the Bulldogs.

''I feel like we've been the underdog for the past 10 years,'' safety Chauncey Gardner said. ''Everybody wants to see us lose every game, `Oh Florida this, Florida that.' We've been the underdog since the first game of the season, whole season, `Can these guys get back to Atlanta?'

''We've been shocking everybody wrong, proving everybody wrong. ... If you're better than us, prove it.''

Georgia has been better than everyone on its schedule so far.

The Bulldogs edged Notre Dame early in the season and then dominated four SEC opponents by a combined score of 170-45. Freshman Jake Fromm ranks second in the league in pass efficiency. Nick Chubb and Sony Michel form the conference's top running back tandem. And Georgia is second in the SEC in every major defensive category, behind only perennial power Alabama.

Gardner didn't want to hear all the hype.

''You say they have a great quarterback. I get it,'' he said. ''He's throwing simple passes. I get it. Anybody can throw a slant. I get it. But like I said, we're just playing football. If you call him the best quarterback, so be it, but he has to play Saturday. We're going to see what his best attribute is.''

Call it smack talk or bulletin-board material. Either way, Gardner and the Gators are taking their chances with an ''us-against-the-world'' approach.

''This game feels like a championship game to us,'' Gardner said. ''If they are the best team, so be it. But they have to play Saturday. We're going to see them Saturday. If y'all feel like they're the best team, pick `em. Do what you got to do.

''But we're going to go out there with our defense, with our offense and play this game and win the game.''

Comment

• Tech Trends - Week 9
                        October 24, 2017

THURSDAY, OCT. 26

Matchup Skinny Edge

TOLEDO at BALL STATE...Toledo 11-4-1 last 16 vs. spread away from the Glass Bowl. Ball no covers last five TY and just 5-14 vs. spread last 19 at Muncie.
                        Toledo, based on team trends.

SOUTH ALABAMA at GEORGIA STATE...GSU has covered last three vs. USA. Jags just 6-12 vs. spread since mid 2014 away from Mobile, though 2-1 vs. line away TY.
                        Slight to Georgia State, based on team and series trends.

EASTERN MICHIGAN at NORTHERN ILLINOIS...EMU continues to cover, 5-2 vs. line TY, now 15-4 last 19 on board! Ten straight covers away from Ypsilanti! Though no covers last two or four of last five vs. NIU. Huskies on 11-3-1 spread run since mid 2016.
                        Eastern Michigan, based on team trends.

STANFORD at OREGON STATE...Beavs have covered last two after dropping previous five vs. line to begin season, maybe rallying late vs. number like a year ago, though no Andersen anymore. Tree has covered last three trips to Corvallis and 5 of last 7 in series. Tree 0-3 vs. line as visitor TY but was 10-3 previous 13 in role.
                        Slight to Stanford, based on team and series trends.

FRIDAY, OCT. 27

Matchup Skinny Edge

FLORIDA STATE at BOSTON COLLEGE
                        ...BC on 5-game cover streak TY while Noles 0-6 vs. spread in 2017 (though last three L by 1 point or fewer vs. line).
                        Boston College, based on recent trends.

TULANE at MEMPHIS....Willie Fritz 6-2 vs. line since late 2016. Greenies have covered last two in series as well. Memphis 0-3 as home chalk TY, 4-9 last 13 in role.
                        Tulane, based on team trends.

TULSA at SMU... Montgomery 12-6 vs. line away from home since 2015 (though only 5-6 last 11). SMU 4-0 vs. line at home TY, 10-4 last 14 vs. spread since mid 2016.
                        Slight to Tulsa, based on extended road mark.

SATURDAY, OCT. 28

Matchup Skinny Edge

NEBRASKA at PURDUE...Brohm 5-2 vs. line TY, his teams are 25-13-1 vs. points at WKU and Purdue since late 2014. Riley actually 6-2 last 8 vs. line as visitor, though Huskers also 2-7 last nine vs. spread, and 1-4 last five as dog. Boilermakers covered last three in series even before Brohm arrived!
                        Purdue, based on team and series trends.

TENNESSEE at KENTUCKY...UT 5-0 SU, 4-1 vs. line last five vs. UK, but Vols yet to cover TY (0-5-1).
                        Kentucky, based on recent trends.

VANDERBILT at SOUTH CAROLINA
                        ...Dores have dropped with four Ls in a row after Derek Mason was on 8-5 spread mini-uptick. Mason now just 3-6 last nine as SEC visitor. Cocks have won last 8 SU in series though SC just 3-5 vs. spread last 8 at Williams-Brice.
                        Slight to South Carolina, based on team and series trends.

BUFFALO at AKRON... Buff 6-2 vs. line TY, 7-2 last 9 vs. spread since late 2016. Home team has won and covered big, however, last three years in series. But Bowden just 3-6 vs. spread at Infocision since LY.
                        Slight to Buffalo, based on recent trends.

LOUISVILLE at WAKE FOREST
                        ...Petrino 4-13 vs. line last 17. Clawson has covered all three vs. Cards since 2014 and Deacs on 11-4 spread uptick since mid 2016. Wake also 6-2 vs. line last 8 at Winston-Salem.
                        Wake Forest, based on team and series trends.

MIAMI-FLA. at NORTH CAROLINA... Heels have won and covered last 2 in series, but Richt is 6-1 as road chalk with Canes and on 8-3 spread uptick since late LY. Fedora 1-8-1 last ten on board.
                        Miami, based on recent trends.

RUTGERS at MICHIGAN... Harbaugh beat ‘Gers 78-0 LY and has covered easily last two in series! But Michigan only 15-16-1 vs. line since Harbaugh arrived and has dropped four straight vs. line at Big House. Ash 5-2 vs. line TY, though he’s been outscored 231-0 by Buckeyes, Wolverines, and Penn State since LY.
                        Slight to Michigan, based on recent series trends.

FIU at MARSHALL...Herd 5-1 vs. line in bounce-back 2017, and 3-0 at home. Butch Davis 2-4 vs. line TY, Golden Panthers 3-6-1 last 10 v.s line on road.
                        Marshall, based on recent trends.

APP STATE at UMASS
                        ... Mass 1-5 as home dog since LY. App no covers first three on road TY but 8-1 as visiting chalk prior.
                        App State, based on extended trends.

VIRGINIA at PITT...Cavs have won and covered four of last five TY. Narduzzi 4-13 vs. line at Heinz Field since 2015.
                        Virginia, based on team trends.

GEORGIA TECH at CLEMSON
                        ...Paul Johnson has ten straight covers since late 2016. Jackets 11-5 last 16 as dog. Dabo no covers last 4 as ACC host, and 2-6-1 last nine in role, but is 4-1 vs. line last five meetings vs. GT.
                        Georgia Tech, based on team trends.

MISSOURI at UCONN
                        ...UConn now two wins and covers in row after ten straight Ls vs. line. Tigers have covered last two on road after dropping seven straight vs. line away.
                        Slight to UConn, based on recent trends.

OKLAHOMA STATE at WEST VIRGINIA...Holgorsen 6-9 vs. line at home since early 2015, 2-6 as dog since 2015. OSU has won and covered last two meetings.
                        Oklahoma State, based on team trends.

INDIANA at MARYLAND...Hoosiers have won and covered last two meetings. Durkin 3-8 vs. line last 11 Big Ten games. IU 7-5 vs. line last 12 away from Bloomington.
                        Indiana, based on team and recent series trends.

DUKE at VIRGINIA TECH
                        ...Cutcliffe 20-9 as dog since 2013. Duke has covered 3 of last 4 in series.
                        Duke, based on team and series trends.

TEXAS STATE at COASTAL CAROLINA... CC no wins or covers last five since UMass opener. But TSU only 3-8 last 11 on board and 4-11 vs. line last 15 away.
                        Slight to Coastal Carolina, based on TSU negatives.

WISCONSIN at ILLINOIS...Chryst has now covered 8 straight as a visitor! Badgers 4-1 vs. line last 5 in series, have not lost SU vs. Illini since 2002. Lovie on 2-8 spread skid since late 2016.
                        Wisconsin, based on team trends.

KANSAS STATE at KANSAS
                        ...Bill Snyder destroy series, though didn’t cover LY vs. KU. He had won and covered nine in a row previous vs. Jayhawks. Snyder 18-2 vs. line last 20 vs. KU. Jayhawks 0-6-1 vs. line TY.
                        Kansas State, based on series trends.

MINNESOTA at IOWA... Floyd! Ferentz only 13-21 as home chalk since 2012 but 3-1 in role this season. Gophers 17-8 as dog since 2013 (2-0 TY).
                        Minnesota, based on team trends.

NEW MEXICO at WYOMING...Davie has won last 3 SU vs. Bohl and covered last four in series. Lobos 14-8 as road dog since 2013.
                        New Mexico, based on series trends.

ARKANSAS STATE at NEW MEXICO STATE...Ark State on 9-2 spread run in Belt. Also won and covered last 3 vs. Ags. Though NMSU righteous 6-1-1 last eight on board.
                        Slight to Ark State, based on team and series trends.

SAN JOSE STATE at BYU...Cougs 0-8 vs. line TY, now no covers last nine since late 2016. SJSU at least 3-4-1 vs. line TY, though just 6-16 vs. spread last 22 as visitor since 2014.
                        Slight to San Jose State, based on BYU negatives.

UTSA at UTEP...UTEP 1-1 vs. line for Price TY but 2-5 overall vs. spread. Road team, however, has covered four straight in this series. Roadrunners 4-1 vs. spread last five away from home.
                        UTSA, based on team and series road trends.

ULM at IDAHO...Vandals just 1-3 vs. line at Kibbie Dome TY, 6-10 vs. spread as host since late 2014, better vs. number on road lately. Though Vandals have covered last three in series. ULM 5-1 vs. line last 6 away.
                        ULM, based on recent road trend.

AIR FORCE at COLORADO STATE...Rams have won and covered 3 of last 4 meetings, though Falcs have covered five in a row as visiting dog. Bobo just 1-2 vs. line in new stadium.
                        Slight to Air Force, based on team trends.

UAB at SOUTHERN MISS..UAB 5-2 vs. spread TY, but USM on 8-1 spread uptick. Though USM 2-6 last 8 as home chalk.
                        UAB, based on team trends.

CAL at COLORADO...Wilcox only 1-2 vs. lime away TY, Bears now 2-9-1 vs. line as visitor since mid 2015. But Buffs only 2-6 vs. line TY and 0-4 at home (0-3 as chalk) after 10-2 Boulder chalk mark under MacIntyre previous.
                        Cal, based on Buff woes.

SOUTHERN CAL at ARIZONA STATE
                        ...Trojans on 1-8 spread skid since late 2016. Sun Devils 5-3 vs. line last 8 meetings despite losing last two. SC 4-14 vs. line last 17 away from Coliseum. ASU 4-0-1 vs. line last five TY (all as dog) and 4-1 last five as Tempe dog.
                        Arizona State, based on recent trends.

LA TECH at RICE..Skip Holtz has buried Rice the past three years, 16-9 vs. points as visitor since 2014. Owls 2-5 vs. line TY.
                        La Tech, based on team trends.

UTAH at OREGON...Ducks only 1-4 SU and vs. line last five TY, now just 5-12 vs. spread at Eugene since 2015. Whittingham 6-1 vs. line TY, 10-3 last 12 vs. spread since mid 2016. Utes 15-5 vs. spread as visitor since 2014.
                        Utah, based on recent trends.

NC STATE at NOTRE DAME...Irish 6-1 vs. line TY, though ND just 1-4 vs. line last five in games after hosting SC at South Bend. Pack 5-2 last seven as dog, and beat ND in Raleigh rain LY.
                        Slight to NC State, based on team trends.

UCLA at WASHINGTON...Mora won and covered last two vs. alma mater UW in 2013-14. But Bruins 6-14-1 last 21 vs. spread since late 2015. Mora 2-8-1 last 11 vs. line away from home.
                        Washington, based on recent Mora woes.

GEORGIA SOUTHERN at TROY...GSU 1-5 vs. line TY, now 4-14 vs. spread since LY. Now Summers relieved of duties. Eagles however have won and covered last three meetings.
                        Troy, based on recent GSU negatives.

MICHIGAN STATE at NORTHWESTERN...Spartans just 1-5 vs. points last six away (1-1 TY), if favored note 0-7 as visiting chalk since 2015 (0-1 TY).
                        Northwestern, if dog, based on team trends.

OLD DOMINION at NORTH TEXAS...ODU just 1-8 as road dog since 2015 (0-2 TY). Monarchs 3-13 overall as dog since 2015.
                        North Texas, based on team trends.

TEXAS at BAYLOR...Horns 5-0-1 last five vs. line TY. Rhule 13-3 as dog with Bears and Temple since 2015.
                        Slight to Texas, based on recent trends.

TCU at IOWA STATE...ISU 3-2 vs. line against Frogs since TCU entered Big 12 in 2012. Campbell 4-2-1 as home dog since LY, 19-10-1 as dog at Toledo & ISU. Frogs are 3-0 vs. line away TY.
                        Slight to Iowa State, based on team trends.

GEORGIA vs. FLORIDA (at Jacksonville)...McElwain has won and covered both vs. Georgia past two years, part of UF’s 3 straight wins and covers in series, but Gators also 2-6-2 last ten on board since late LY. McElwain 1-5 vs. spread last six reg.-season away from home, 1-5-1 last seven as dog. Dawgs have covered last five away from Athens since that loss to Gators LY.
                        Georgia, based on recent trends.

FAU at WESTERN KENTUCKY...Tops now 1-5-1 vs. line post-Brohm after non-cover at ODU. Lane Kiffin 5-1 vs. line last five TY.
                        FAU, based on recent trends.

WASHINGTON STATE at ARIZONA...Rich-Rod has now won and covered SU two straight as dog. Though Cats were 2-10 last 12 as dog prior. Leach 16-8 vs. spread as visitor since 2013.
                        Washington State, based on extended trends.

TEXAS TECH at OKLAHOMA...Red Raiders 7-3 last ten as visiting dog since 2015 and covered 2 of last 3 vs. OU. Sooners no covers last four TY, though OU was 10-3 last 13 as Norman chalk prior to ISU loss.
                        Texas Tech, based on team trends.

ARKANSAS at OLE MISS...Bielema 2-6 vs. line last eight away from Fayetteville. Hogs also 4-12-1 vs. points last 17 on board. But Bielema has covered four straight vs. Rebs, on 3-11 spread skid.
                        Slight to Ole Miss, based on recent trends.

PENN STATE at OHIO STATE...Urban Meyer in rare revenge role. Bucks have covered last three TY but only 1-3 vs. line at Big Horseshoe TY, 6-12 vs. spread at home since 2015. James Franklin on 15-2 spread uptick.
                        Penn State, based on team trends.

MISSISSIPPI STATE at TEXAS A&M...Sumlin squeezed out that one at Florida but still only 7-22 vs. line after facing Bama since 2013. Ags 6-14-1 as College Station chalk since late 2013. Dan Mullen has covered three of last four vs. Sumlin.
                        Miss State, based on team and recent series trends.

BOISE STATE at UTAH STATE...Boise 3-0 vs. line away TY and 9-2 last 11 vs. spread as visitor. Though Utags have covered last two in series. Utags 4-4 vs. line TY but 8-17 last 25 vs. number since mid 2015.
                        Boise State, based on recent trends.

UNLV at FRESNO STATE...Tedford 6-0-1 vs. line with FSU. Home team has covered last three in series.
                        Fresno State, based on recent and series trends.

SAN DIEGO STATE at HAWAII...Rocky Long 5-0 SU and vs. line against UH since 2012. Aztecs 12-4 vs. line last 16 away from Qualcomm. UH no covers last five TY, Rainbows 4-16 vs. spread last 20 at Aloha.
                        SDSU, based on team and series trends.

HOUSTON at SOUTH FLORIDA...Cougs 4-11-1 vs. line last 16 after Memphis loss, 3-5 for Applewhite since bowl LY. Also 1-7 last 8 vs., line away from home. USF 10-2-1 last 11 as Tampa chalk.
                        USF, based on team trends.

Comment

• Oklahoma's Mayfield grinding through shoulder injury
                          October 24, 2017

NORMAN, Okla. -- Baker Mayfield grimaced from the hit but bounced right back up.

When Texas defensive end Gerald Wilbon -- all 305 pounds of him -- landed on Mayfield in Oklahoma's recent win against Texas on Oct. 14, Mayfield kept going.

The senior quarterback played a week later, throwing for 410 yards and two touchdowns and running for 69 yards and two more in the Sooners' 42-35 win at Kansas State.

Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley wasn't sure until one or two days before the game that Mayfield was even going to be able to play.

The performance was another chapter in the legend of Baker Mayfield, who earned a starting job at Texas Tech as a true freshman, becoming the first walk-on freshman to earn a starting quarterback job in a season-opener, and then left the Red Raiders to walk-on at Oklahoma, eventually beating out incumbent Trevor Knight for the job.

Heading into this week's home game against Texas Tech, Mayfield and Riley insist Mayfield's shoulder isn't a concern.

"It wasn't a contact issue," Riley said. "It was one that limited him from throwing during the week. ... I didn't have any concerns about him as a thrower. It did not limit us in the game. I don't anticipate it limiting us going forward."

No. 10 Oklahoma (6-1, 3-1 Big 12) takes on the Red Raiders (4-3, 1-3) this Saturday before Bedlam at Oklahoma State on Nov. 4.

Against the Wildcats, Mayfield not only threw for his highest yardage total of the season, he had his best rushing numbers since 2015.

"When it comes down to it, it's just a little injury here and there," Mayfield said. "It's football. I've said it a million times. You are going to have bumps and bruises. You just have to suck it up and fight through it."

Mayfield might brush it off as no big deal, but those around him certainly don't.

"It's pretty remarkable, honestly," Riley said. "It really is. People should take notice of that and not take it for granted. It's hard to play at the level he's playing at. He's doing it with a new cast of skill guys. Show me somebody in the country that's playing better."

With a group of receivers that were largely unproven heading into the year and remain largely uneven through seven games, Mayfield still has the Sooners in the mix for a College Football Playoff berth.

He has completed 73.8 percent of his passes this season, tops in the country. He remains the only quarterback in the country with a passing efficiency rating better than 200.

"Baker's a superhero," defensive end/linebacker Ogbonnia Okoronkwo said. "He's a guy. If he had one leg, he'd go out there and throw for 400 passing yards."

NOTES: Oklahoma DE/LB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo is second in the league with 12 tackles for loss and leads the Big 12 with six sacks. He has three forced fumbles. ... RB Abdul Adams has missed two consecutive games with an ankle injury. Adams dressed at Kansas State but did not play. ... TE Mark Andrews tied a career-high with seven catches for 61 yards against Kansas State. He has 30 catches for 520 yards and three touchdowns on the year.

Comment

• Pick 6: No. 5 Wisconsin's defense turns INTs into TDs
                            October 25, 2017

MADISON, Wis. (AP) So picky, that Wisconsin defense.

Not only do the fifth-ranked Badgers have one of the best defenses in the country in forcing turnovers, but they're a threat to score when they get their hands on the ball, too.

Wisconsin's four interception returns for touchdowns match Duke for most in the country this year, and it's the most for the program in a season since at least 1950.

This is partly a result of a fierce pass rush that forces quarterbacks into mistakes. Also credit an athletic linebacking corps and experienced secondary trained to swarm to the ball.

''Everybody just violently breaks the ball,'' said inside linebacker Chris Orr, who scored on an interception return against Nebraska. ''You know if you're doing that defensively, you might get a tipped ball, somebody might hit somebody, the ball pops up and catch it. That's all it is.''

As if Illinois' young offense doesn't have enough to worry about when Wisconsin visits Champaign on Saturday. The Illini have allowed an interception for a touchdown in two of the last three games.

A year after matching the school single-season record with 22 interceptions, Wisconsin (7-0, 4-0 Big Ten) has picked off 10 passes this year under first-year defensive coordinator Jim Leonhard. He was the Badgers' secondary coach last season.

Those interception returns take communication. Once a defender has the ball, the first order of business is to find the intended receiver and throw a block.

Beyond that, it sounds simple. But the situations are difficult to replicate.

''You're talking a lot. Obviously we've had a lot of crucial blocks,'' Leonhard said. ''Half of the battle is catching the ball in space, and we've done that and guys have stayed on their feet and tried to get it into the end zone.''

Leonhard knows what he's talking about as a former NFL safety who starred at Wisconsin in college. He picked off 21 passes in his college career, including 11 as a sophomore in 2002.

The lessons hit home with the secondary.

Safety Natrell Jameson said that one tip he has taken away from Leonhard is to watch the quarterback's eyes when he hits his back step because ''the way he's looking is the way he's going to throw it.''

Jamerson returned an interception for a touchdown in the Big Ten opener against Northwestern.

''It's not really luck. We do it at practice, catch picks all the time at practice so when it comes in a game, once the ball is in your hands just make a play on it,'' Jamerson said.

If the defense doesn't score, the Badgers have still been able to capitalize. They've scored 62 points off 13 forced turnovers, which include three fumble recoveries. Overall, Wisconsin has forced 27 turnovers over its last 12 games.

''We want to challenge, we want to make quarterbacks beat us and get close to receivers. Hate giving guys easy throws, easy completions,'' Leonhard said. ''We've left a few (interceptions) out there, but for the most part I think when we've had those opportunities we've made them.''

Comment

• 'Bama, UGA could give SEC rare matchup
                              October 25, 2017

ATLANTA (AP) Top-ranked Alabama and No. 3 Georgia have been so dominant that the real drama behind the race to the SEC championship game may be the push for both to arrive in Atlanta undefeated.

It would be a rare accomplishment.

Since the Southeastern Conference began divisional play in 1992, only once has undefeated teams played in the championship game. In 2009, the No. 2 Crimson Tide beat No. 1 Florida.

The Bulldogs and Tide have compiled lists of lopsided SEC wins that make the ''any given Saturday'' cliche seem laughable in the conference.

Real tests to the drive for undefeated regular seasons could come in the teams' next games. Georgia plays Florida, which has won 21 of 27 and three straight in the rivalry, on Saturday. Alabama, off this Saturday, plays No. 23 LSU in two weeks.

Alabama (8-0, 5-0 SEC) has outscored its SEC opponents 238-38. Georgia (7-0, 4-0) has a similarly lopsided 170-31 margin.

''I think they're both very good football teams,'' said Tennessee coach Butch Jones. The Vols were beaten by Georgia 41-0 and by Alabama 45-7 . ''... Both teams are playing at a very high level and I think that's evidenced by where they're ranked right now.''

League coaches traditionally brag about the top-to-bottom depth in the SEC. This year, with LSU and No. 19 Auburn the only other ranked teams, the conference looks unusually top-heavy.

Alabama coach Nick Saban and his former longtime defensive coordinator, Georgia's Kirby Smart, want no part of looking ahead to Atlanta.

''I expect every game to be a four-quarter battle, to go to the wire,'' Smart said Tuesday. ''That's what the SEC is. We're no cut above the SEC, I can promise you that. We're just fighting our tails off to play each week the best we can.''

If Georgia beats Florida , the Bulldogs would practically lock up the Eastern Division race with SEC games remaining against South Carolina, Auburn and Kentucky. Every other team in the East has at least two conference losses.

The race is tighter in the West, where Auburn, LSU and Texas A&M have only one conference loss.

Some things to look for the remainder of the season:

LEADING CONTENDERS

Don't tell South Carolina (5-2, 3-2) the East race is practically over. If Florida beats Georgia, the Gamecocks could make things interesting when they play Georgia on Nov. 4.

''We know it's there,'' said Gamecocks quarterback Jake Bentley of the title hopes.

To have a legitimate shot at the division, South Carolina coach Will Muschamp said, ''Certainly we need to win Saturday'' against Vanderbilt.

As unlikely as it may seem, the West race is an Alabama loss from being wide open.

The road to Atlanta will run through Auburn (6-2, 4-1), which still has home games left against Georgia and Alabama. Texas A&M (5-2, 3-1) was No. 26 in this week's Top 25. The Aggies gave Alabama its only SEC challenge in a 27-19 loss.

LSU (6-2, 3-1) was boosted by a much-needed win over Auburn two weeks ago.

LONGSHOTS

Kentucky (5-2, 2-2) looked like a big surprise early in the season.

The Wildcats ranked third in the nation in run defense before a one-point loss to Florida on Sept. 23. They've allowed a combined 79 points in their last two games.

LSU and Auburn aren't the only challenges left for Alabama. The Tide also must play at Mississippi State (5-2, 2-2), which earned respect by beating Kentucky 45-7 last week for its second straight win.

''The teams that we have coming up on our schedule are certainly some of the best teams that we've played and probably the best teams in our division this particular year,'' Saban said.

SHOOTING FOR A BOWL

There will be a smaller pool of bowl-eligible teams from the SEC this year. Mississippi (3-4, 1-3) has a self-imposed bowl ban.

For some teams, including Tennessee (3-4, 0-4), qualifying for a bowl could be difficult. But the dream hasn't died.

''We just have to step up on offense and know that if we win these next five games, we are 8-4 again,'' said Tennessee offensive lineman Brett Kendrick. ''We'll get to go to a good bowl game and hopefully get a win there.''

Vanderbilt (3-4, 0-4) has a chance to finish .500 or better. After this week's game against South Carolina, the Commodores play Western Kentucky, Kentucky, Missouri and Tennessee.

WAIT `TILL NEXT YEAR

Tennessee, Vandy and Missouri (2-5, 0-4) give the East three teams without a conference win. Missouri ended a five-game losing streak by beating Idaho last week.

Arkansas (2-5, 0-4) is the West's only team still looking for its first SEC win.

Comment

• Big games in Week 9, then playoff rankings
                                October 25, 2017

Three days before the first College Football Playoff rankings of the season are released, No. 2 Penn State and No. 6 Ohio State will play a game that could complicate the selection committee's task down the road - if the Buckeyes win.

The Nittany Lions will try to win back-to-back games against ranked Big Ten East rivals in Columbus, Ohio, on Saturday and put the Buckeyes' championship hopes - both Big Ten and national title - in critical condition.

Penn State (7-0) staying undefeated against the Buckeyes (6-1) means the Nittany Lions can put a vice grip on the division with a win the following week against No. 16 Michigan State. Penn State's final three games are against Rutgers, Nebraska and Maryland. A Penn State-Wisconsin Big Ten title game might not guarantee the winner a playoff spot - but it might. It would probably make the Big Ten fairly easy to sort through in the national picture.

If Ohio State wins it gets trickier because that home loss to Oklahoma is still sitting there, working against not just the Buckeyes but the whole Big Ten. And for the Michigan State fans saying, `Hey, don't forget about us,' the Spartans' lopsided loss to Notre Dame could turn out to be a stumbling block, too.

Penn State-Ohio State is one of several games the committee surely will be focused on this weekend. No. 14 North Carolina State starts what is set up to be the most significant two-week stretch of football in who knows how long with a road game against No. 9 Notre Dame. The Wolfpack gets No. 7 Clemson at home next week. For the second week in a row, the Irish host what amounts to a playoff eliminator after they bounced Southern California last week.

On Tuesday, Halloween night, the committee will provide its first impression of the season.

The picks:

THURSDAY NIGHTER

No. 20 Stanford (minus 21) at Oregon State

The Beavers' run defense ranks 100th in the nation, allowing 4.83 yard per carry. And that's before facing Stanford's Bryce Love ... STANFORD 38-14.

FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS

Tulane (plus 10 +) at No. 24 Memphis

Since 2014, the Tigers are 12-0 in games not played on Saturday ... MEMPHIS 35-21.

SATURDAY

MAIN EVENTS

No. 2 Penn State (plus 6 +) at No. 6 Ohio State

Nittany Lions star Saquon Barkley has run for 293 yards on 38 carries in two games against the Buckeyes ... OHIO STATE 28-24.

No. 14 North Carolina State (plus 7) at No. 9 Notre Dame

NFL scouts will enjoy the matchup between Wolfpack DE Bradley Chubb and Irish OT Mike McGlinchey ... NORTH CAROLINA STATE 28-24.

STAYING UNBEATEN

No. 3 Georgia (minus 14) vs. Florida at Jacksonville, Florida

Gators have a three-game winning streak at the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party ... GEORGIA 35-14.

No. 4 TCU (minus 6 +) at No. 25 Iowa State

The last time the Cyclones played a home game as a ranked team was Nov. 2, 2002, against Missouri. They won ... TCU 28-20.

No. 5 Wisconsin (minus 25 +) at Illinois

Badgers freshman star Jonathan Taylor meets the Big Ten's worst rushing defense ... WISCONSIN 45-10.

No. 8 Miami (minus 20) at North Carolina

Tar Heels have collapsed so maybe this is the week the Hurricanes get a laugher ... MIAMI 41-17, BEST BET.

Houston (plus 10 +) at No. 17 South Florida

While the Bulls try to stay unbeaten, the Cougars try to avoid sliding out of the AAC West division race ... USF 34-26.

BIG GAMES IN THE BIG 12

Texas Tech (plus 20) at No. 10 Oklahoma

Red Raiders have averaged 33 points per game against the Sooners over the last five games and lost them all ... OKLAHOMA 48-31.

No. 11 Oklahoma State (minus 7 +) at No. 22 West Virginia

Mountaineers WR David Sills V leads the nation in touchdown receptions, with at least two in six of his seven games ... WEST VIRGINIA 35-28, UPSET SPECIAL

PLAYOFF CONTENDERS

Georgia Tech (plus 14 +) at No. 7 Clemson

Tigers expect to have QB Kelly Bryant back after a concussion in the loss two weeks ago at Syracuse ... CLEMSON 35-17.

UCLA (plus 17) at No. 12 Washington

Huskies try to get their offense on track against the 128th-ranked run defense in the country. UCLA is giving up a ghastly 6.10 yards per carry ... WASHINGTON 42-21.

Duke (plus 15 +) at No. 13 Virginia Tech

Blue Devils and Hokies have split the last four meetings by a total of nine points ... VIRGINIA TECH 28-14.

No. 15 Washington State (minus 3) at Arizona

Fun matchup between two very different variations of spread offense. Cougars have thrown the most passes in the Pac-12 with 407; Wildcats have thrown the fewest with 158 ... ARIZONA 38-35.

No. 16 Michigan State (minus 2) at Northwestern

Spartans have won four straight by an average score of 19-14 ... MICHIGAN STATE 19-14.

SURPRISING PAC-12 SHOWDOWN

No. 21 Southern California (minus 3) at Arizona State

Who would have guessed Trojans-Sun Devils would be a huge Pac-12 South game? ... USC 31-23.

TWITTER REQUESTS

Florida State (minus 3) at Boston College - (at)nolesq

Seminoles have won seven straight meetings with the Eagles ... FLORIDA STATE 24-16.

Mississippi State (minus 1 +) at Texas A&M - (at)DCAbloob

Big game for the Aggies and coach Kevin Sumlin as they try to avoid another second-half swoon ... TEXAS A&M 24-21.

Rutgers (plus 23 +) at Michigan - (at)Moose1857

Battle for fourth place in the Big Ten East ... MICHIGAN 35-3.

Utah (minus 3) at Oregon - (at)Duckfan7712

Both teams come in on three-game losing streaks ... OREGON 21-17.

---

Record last week: 17-5 straight up; 13-9 against the spread.

Record this season: 138-42 straight up; 82-84-5 against the spread.

Upset specials: 3-5 (straight up).

Best bets: 6-1 (against the spread).

Comment

Working...
                                X