Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bum's 2017 College Football Picks-Trends-News Etc. !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alabama LB: 'The season's officially here'
    September 18, 2017

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) Alabama can now officially begin its quest for a fourth straight Southeastern Conference title.

The top-ranked Crimson Tide has conquered one highly ranked team, Florida State, and produced lopsided wins over a pair of Mountain West Conference opponents. Alabama is gearing up this week for its first SEC game and true road game Saturday at Vanderbilt, which is also 3-0.

''You can kind of tell walking around the locker room, I guess you can say the season's officially here,'' Tide linebacker Keith Holcombe said Monday. ''This is what we've all worked for. This is what you're training for back in the summer, running 110s. This is where the season's made right here, for us to make a run.''

It's time to, as Holcombe put it, ''set your jaw because it's going to be a fun ride.''

Alabama's SEC schedule would seem to be back loaded with closing games against No. 25 LSU, No. 17 Mississippi State and No. 15 Auburn. Alabama's first five league opponents are unranked.

But the Commodores are coming off a win over then-No. 18 Kansas State and lead the nation in scoring, total and pass defense.

Tide coach Nick Saban believes Vandy should be in the Top 25.

Since beating No. 12 Florida State in Atlanta, Alabama has produced comfortable wins over Fresno State and Colorado State at Bryant-Denny Stadium.

Now comes SEC play, but quarterback Jalen Hurts said the mind-set needs to remain the same.

''We have to go out there and play our game like all the other games. Nothing changes,'' Hurts said. ''Obviously we want to kind of get our mind right, I guess, because it's getting kind of real now. But the same rules apply, the same preparation applies. You have to go out there and play.''

Alabama's defense is coming off a performance unsatisfactory enough that linebacker Shaun Dion Hamilton and defensive back Hootie Jones said there would be a players-only meeting . Colorado State converted 10 of 17 third down attempts and racked up nearly 400 yards in Alabama's 41-23 victory.

The Rams had two fourth-quarter touchdowns when the game seemed well in hand.

''I don't think anybody needs to be panicking,'' Saban said. ''I think the leadership on the team is making an attempt to affect other players maybe to prepare a little better. Eliminate some of the mental errors. Play together as a unit. Communicate a little better.

''These are all things that the coaches will certainly emphasize to the players to try to help them play better. It's our responsibility to get that across. But we don't want these things to be like feel-good meetings where everybody feels good when they leave but they were concerned when they started. It could be good and bad depending on how it's handled.''

TIDE NOTES: Linebackers Anfernee Jennings, Rashaan Evans and Dylan Moses were expected to return to practice Monday, Saban said. All three missed the Colorado State game. Evans (groin) and Jennings (sprained ankle) have missed the past two games. ... Alabama reserve tight end Miller Forristall is likely out for the season with a knee injury. Saban said the initial assessment of a season-ending ACL injury was proven correct. He says Forristall will undergo surgery for the injury sustained against Colorado State after his first catch of the season.
    Remember the 3 G's Gambling, Golf, Girls not in any particular order.....

Comment

• Cupcakes aside, now it gets tough for UW
      September 18, 2017

SEATTLE (AP) Enough with the cupcakes and empty calories.

After gorging on weak opponents for three weeks, No. 7 Washington gets its first real test when it travels to Colorado for Saturday's rematch of the Pac-12 title game from last season.

It's the second straight year in which the nonconference schedule for Washington (3-0) has left the Huskies looking good and proving little. Yes, they are very talented and probably worthy of being the overwhelming favorites in the Pac-12 North as the conference season beings for them this week.

But the quizzes Washington has faced so far against Rutgers, Montana and Fresno State haven't required much extra effort. That changes with the beginning of conference play, and for their part, the Huskies sound ready for the challenge.

Or as Washington coach Chris Petersen put it on Monday, ''Away we go and now we start the hard part of our season.''

''The one thing that you notice for the most part it everybody realizes league has started now and the intensity of those games kind of feel a little bit different,'' Petersen said. ''It's not like kids play harder or don't play harder depending on the game ... but maybe leading up to it there is a little more focus. Everybody understands how competitive this league is that we play in.''

Conference openers have proven troubling for Washington in Petersen's three previous seasons. A year ago, the Huskies rolled through their first three home games before needing overtime to escape at Arizona. The year before, the Huskies lost at home to California, and in Petersen's first season, Washington lost to Stanford.

This year, the game at Colorado represents what likely will be Washington's biggest challenge until the end of October when UCLA comes to Seattle and starts a five-game stretch that will determine how good the Huskies are. The Huskies open conference play with three of four games on the road, but two of those are against Oregon State and Arizona State, who are both 1-2.

''I just think it's really competitive,'' Petersen said. ''I'm kind of a broken record on our conference and I just think that. I told our guys that. I just really think that anybody in this league can beat anybody on a given day.''

Washington isn't alone among the top 10 of the AP Top 25 in feasting on lesser competition thus far. Alabama, Clemson and Oklahoma all have impressive wins over ranked opponents, but No. 4 Penn State and No. 6 Oklahoma State both have faced schedules just as underwhelming as Washington.

It's an issue the Huskies are hoping to address in the future, with scheduled games in the coming years against Auburn, Michigan and Ohio State. For now, that nonconference schedule will continue to be a slight against the Huskies, just as it was last year when their place in the College Football Playoff was being debated.

The start of conference play may also raise questions and provide some answers about the depth and resolve of this Washington team that weren't evident so far.

''I don't think we have to learn to much. I know this team is going to fight no matter what,'' wide receiver Dante Pettis said. ''We've seen that all throughout the offseason with our offseason workouts and stuff and that's just the kind of team we are. No matter what happens we're going to show up the next play and try our best.''

Comment

• QB Surratt staking claim as UNC starter
        September 18, 2017

Though coach Larry Fedora was reluctant to name him the full-time starter, it would take some sort of unforeseen development in practice for Chazz Surratt not to be the starter at quarterback when North Carolina hosts undefeated Duke on Saturday.

The redshirt freshman completed 16 of 24 passes last week in the 53-23 rout of Old Dominion in making his second start. He had one touchdown pass and is yet to throw an interception this season.

Brandon Harris, the LSU transfer who many saw as the replacement for Mitch Trubisky, was in long enough to throw two passes, both of which were incomplete.

For the season, Harris is 24 of 41 passing for 276 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions. Surratt is 46 of 66 for 588 yards and four scores. He has not been intercepted.

Fedora was asked about Surratt's progress over the last few weeks.

"I would say just in his confidence alone because he is beginning to get comfortable out there," Fedora said. "He is beginning to get comfortable with making mistakes because you're going to make mistakes and it's not going to be the end-all.

"I think he is just getting comfortable out there doing the things that we do. I don't think he is so worried so much. I'm not going to say that the game has slowed down for him so much, but I think he is just more at ease making decisions."

Surratt, of course, will face a much bigger challenge against the Blue Devils, who are off to a 3-0 start for the second time under coach David Cutcliffe. The past two wins have been over Power Five conference members Northwestern and Baylor.

Duke sophomore Daniel Jones has settled in at quarterback and has completed just under 65 percent of his pass attempts for an average of 234 yards a game. He threw for 184 yards last week despite being under heavy pressure from Baylor. He was sacked five times.

Despite losing yardage on sacks, Jones still has 113 yards rushing for the season.

"He's the same guy," Fedora said when asked about the difference he sees in Jones from last year. "He's probably more comfortable now, and they're probably able to do more things with him.

"They're probably more comfortable with some of the calls they're going to make because they know he's going to make good decisions. I think he's a really good player."

The game will be the ACC opener for both. This is the earliest date the teams have met in the series.

Comment

• USC faces former assistant at California
          September 18, 2017

On the heels of a thrilling, double-overtime win over Texas, No. 5 USC will see a familiar face on its first road trip of the 2017 season.

The Trojans (3-0, 1-0 Pac-12) return to conference play Saturday at Cal (3-0), which went undefeated in nonconference competition under first-year head coach Justin Wilcox. USC knows Wilcox well; he was defensive coordinator from 2014 through 2015 but was fired shortly after Clay Helton was named the Trojans' full-time replacement to Steve Sarkisian.

Wilcox's last game was the 2015 Pac-12 Championship, in which Stanford running back Christian McCaffrey racked up 461 all-purpose yards, 312 of which came on offense.

Despite the split, Helton offered high praise for his former USC colleague.

"Credit (Cal defensive coordinator Tim) DeRuyter, and credit Coach Wilcox. Those are two really good defensive coaches who know how to put a game plan together," Helton said.

"They're playing really good defensive ball. It will be a challenge for us. It takes a lot of confidence to go on the road and beat a North Carolina team, then bring Ole Miss home and win that game."

Before landing the Cal head coaching job in January, Wilcox oversaw the nation's No. 4-ranked scoring defense a season ago at Wisconsin. His influence on the Cal defense has been immediately evident. The Golden Bears have held their first three opponents to 22 points per game, an improvement of 20.6 points compared with 2016.

Cal held Ole Miss quarterback Shea Patterson to 26 of 44 passing in Week 3 and intercepted him three times. Patterson came into the contest as the nation's leader in passing yards and passing touchdowns.

Cal held Ole Miss scoreless in the second half, outscoring the Rebels 20-0 after trailing at intermission. Wilcox noted areas for improvement in the defense following the win, but praised the group's tenacity as a whole.

"They found some one-on-one (matchups) and they won a couple. We can continue to be better there in our technique and some of those things," Wilcox said in his post-game press conference. "But I keep going back to how the guys respond, and that's guts, grit and toughness."

Another win in the turnover battle is a must for Cal, which enjoys a 1.33 advantage in turnover margin through three games. The Golden Bears can get to USC for takeaways, if the first three weeks are any indication.

In last season's meeting against Cal, USC rolled up 398 rushing yards -- the most for any Trojans team since the Reggie Bush and LenDale White-led 2005 team accrued 430 against rival UCLA. A new staff at Cal presents new challenges, but USC will aim to rebound from last Saturday, when it managed just 71 yards on the ground.

Helton added the offensive line "didn't play its best" against Texas, but added, "I know that will improve this week."

USC quarterback Sam Darnold was picked off twice in Week 3; one was returned for a touchdown, the other set Texas up deep in Trojans' territory in the fourth quarter.

It's the second game this season in which Darnold has thrown multiple interceptions. If Wilcox and his defensive staff can devise a scheme to generate takeaways against a quarterback the Cal coach has seen in practice, the Golden Bears will have an opportunity to beat USC for the first time since 2003.

--DE Porter Gustin was a game-time decision in Week 3 following midweek toe surgery. He made two sacks in the first half, but spent the second half on the sidelines due to a biceps injury. Coach Clay Helton said the injury would not require surgery, but his status was unknown early this week. The toe injury also resurfaced, with a screw coming out of place. His timetable for return is uncertain, though Helton said his status for Week 4 is "50/50."

--DE Rasheem Green sustained a high ankle sprain, and his status is day-to-day.

--DB Ajene Harris, who recovered the fumble in the second overtime vs. Texas, is day-to-day with a knee hyperextension.

--LB John Houston did not play vs. Texas due to a neck injury and will be evaluated day-to-day.

--OL Chuma Edoga was sidelined vs. Texas with a wrist injury.

--RB Ronald Jones II sustained an ankle sprain in Week 3 and will be evaluated day-to-day.

Comment

• Purdue running game vastly improved
            September 18, 2017

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (AP) Jeff Brohm, who came to Purdue in December with a reputation as an offensive gunslinger, said Monday that he would love for the Boilermakers to pass for 500 yards every game. He labeled his play-calling during the second half of Saturday's 35-3 victory at Missouri as boring and dull.

But with eighth-ranked Michigan (3-0) coming to Ross-Ade Stadium on Saturday for the first time since 2012, Purdue's balanced offense has produced a 2-1 start. The loss came to Lamar Jackson and Louisville, 35-28 in the season opener.

In 2016, Purdue ranked 126th in rushing among 128 FBS programs with a woeful 81.4 yards a game. The Boilermakers currently rank 63rd among 130 FBS schools at 173 rushing yards per game, led by Tario Fuller's 87-yards-per-game average.

In three seasons at Western Kentucky, Brohm's teams averaged 356.6 passing yards per game, 526.2 yards of total offense and 44.6 points per game.

Through three non-conference games, Purdue ranks fourth in Big Ten scoring at 35.7 points, third in passing yards with 286.7, eighth in total offense (374.3) and 10th in rushing (173).

With limited experience at wide receiver for quarterback David Blough and backup Elijah Sindelar to target, a balanced offense is the answer.

''Our balance has definitely helped us,'' Brohm said. ''I would love to be able to come in here and throw it every play. We're just not ready for that. That's not our team right now. I think we're going to continue to get better passing the football, pass protecting, finding some go-to players. Right now, in order to succeed and win, we've got to have balance. We can't rely on our passing game to win us games. ... We have to be able to run the football, play-action, be smart and take a few shots with it.''

Blough, who has completed 51 of 67 passes (76.1 percent) for 597 yards, six touchdowns and only two interceptions, said the strong running game at Missouri - 50 carries for 205 yards - made the final 15 minutes enjoyable.

''At a point in the fourth quarter, I realized, `Man, this is what it is supposed to feel like,''' Blough said. ''I was completely relaxed, and my mind was shut off from everything from the outside world. It felt great being in a situation being up 35-3. I have been through a lot in my years here, ups and downs. The Missouri game was easily the biggest win I have been a part of. It was fun.''

Not so much fun for creative play-caller Brohm, but the result, especially against an SEC opponent on the road, is all that matters.

''It's not the most fun,'' Brohm said. ''It was a little painful over there having to run the ball so much. But as a head coach, you kind of have to do what you think is going to help your team win. Would I like to be a little more aggressive? Yeah. It was a little dull over there in the second half.''

Comment

• Week 3 - The Aftermath
              September 19, 2017

Before getting to Butch Jones’s utter incompetence, the assbeating Mississippi State dealt out to LSU in Starkville, the pimpslap handed to Louisville by Clemson and the boiling hot seats across the SEC, let’s start our look back at Week 3 with what happened during the noon Eastern games.

For starters, we saw further evidence that Oklahoma State is for real. I mean, FOR REAL! Like this space pointed out all summer when hyping the Cowboys to go ‘over’ nine wins for their season win total, this offense might be the nation’s best. The defense? Not bad so far, but there are question marks on this side of the ball.

But here’s the thing: Mike Gundy’s defense doesn’t have to be good. In fact, there are going to be games where simply creating one turnover and getting 3-4 stops will be good enough.

Outside of Clemson and Alabama, two teams the Pokies won’t run into unless they make the College Football Playoff, what defenses do you see slowing down this offensive machine? Sure, naysayers can point at the early schedule and say OSU hasn’t played anybody. And to be fair, Mason Rudolph and Co. caught a break with South Alabama’s best cover corner Jalen Thompson being academically ineligible and Pittsburgh’s All-American candidate at safety in Jordan Whitehead being suspended.

But not many teams play back-to-back road games in non-conference play and ride home with blowout victories. Oklahoma State smashed South Alabama 44-7 in Mobile, a place where then-unbeaten and 19th-ranked San Diego State took a 42-24 spanking last year. (Oh, and we’ll get to this year’s version of the Aztecs below.) Then the Cowboys went to Heinz Field and stepped on Pitt’s throat early and often, leading 42-7 late in the second quarter en route to a 59-21 victory as 11-point favorites.

Mason Rudolph threw for 497 yards and five touchdowns against the Panthers. For the season, he has completed 72.3 percent of his passes for 1,135 yards with an 11/1 touchdown-to-interception ratio. Justice Hill ran for 91 yards and two scores on just 11 carries, while Jalen McCleskey caught seven balls for 162 yards and three TDs. James Washington had five receptions for 124 yards.

Oklahoma State opens Big 12 play in Week 4 by hosting undefeated TCU. Speaking of the Horned Frogs, they pulled away from SMU in a 56-36 non-covering victory thanks to Kenny Hill, who completed 24-of-30 throws for 365 yards and four TDs without an interception. Gary Patterson will certainly have a solid defensive play for the Pokies, but I don’t believe he has the horses to pull a stunner in Stillwater.

We talked all summer about what a terrible spot UCLA was in playing at Memphis in the mid-September heat and a noon Eastern start. As it turned out, the Tigers were given two weeks to prepare when their Week 2 game at UCF was postponed due to Hurricane Irma.

The Bruins and Tigers engaged in a thriller, the best game of Week 3. Riley Ferguson and Josh Rosen both put on a show, with Memphis winning a 48-45 decision as a three-point home underdog, cashing +130 money-line tickets in the process. The 93 combined points sailed ‘over’ the 71-point total.

Ferguson threw for 398 yards and six TDs compared to only one interception, while Anthony Miller hauled in nine receptions for 185 yards and two TDs. Rosen connected on 34-of-56 passes for 463 yards and four TDs, but he was intercepted twice.

I’m a guest on the Sharp & Benning Show on 1620 The Zone in Omaha every Thursday. During the summer, I expressed doubt about starting QB Tanner Lee, a transfer from Tulane. After he threw a pair of pick-sixes against a No. Illinois team that isn’t what it once was and was playing sans its starting QB, the natives in Lincoln are rightfully restless.

Northern Illinois cashed +350 money-line tickets in its 21-17 win at Nebraska as a 10.5-point underdog. Mike Riley had better win both upcoming games vs. Rutgers and at Illinois (on a short week), because the Cornhuskers are going to be double-digit ‘dogs in back-to-back home games vs. Wisconsin and Ohio State.

An open date looms after Nebraska hosts the Buckeyes. Therefore, a pink slip for Riley is a definite possibility if his team is 3-4 at that point, especially if Wisconsin and Ohio State issue woodshed treatment.

Texas A&M
              scored 31 straight unanswered points to push past Louisiana 45-21 as a 24-point home favorite. Kellen Mond threw for 301 yards and three TDs for the Aggies, who meet Arkansas at Jerry World this weekend. The stakes for Kevin Sumlin and Bret Bielema couldn’t possibly be higher.

Duke improved to 13-2 ATS in 15 games as a double-digit home favorite
              during David Cutcliffe’s 10-year tenure by beating Baylor 34-20 as an 11-point home favorite. The Blue Devils are unbeaten going into their eight-mile trek to Chapel Hill in Week 4. The Bears are winless, their roster is already decimated by injuries and Matt Rhule’s rebuilding effort is looking more daunting by the day.

If you only watched highlights of Florida-Tennessee, you probably thought it was a great game that featured an incredible ending to add another chapter to UT’s misery in this storied rivalry. You would be both right and wrong. First of all, yes, the Volunteers continue to create ways to lose to the Gators, who have now won 12 of the last 13 head-to-head meetings. Tennessee hasn’t won at The Swamp since 2003.

But this game was an awful display of coaching and execution (on both sides) for all of the first three quarters and most of the fourth. As always for going on at least a half-dozen years now, UF’s defense was nothing short of sensational, while the offense continued to provide next to nothing in terms of production. Leading 6-3 early in the fourth quarter (remember that when we get into the total momentarily), Florida true freshman CB C.J. Henderson snared an interception and went 16 yards into the end zone for his second pick-six of the season. At that point, Henderson had two TDs in seven quarters of play for the Gators, while the offense had yet to produce a TD.

On UF’s next drive, true freshman RB Malik Davis was inches away from completing a 74-yard TD run that was originally ruled that way on the field. However, the play was reversed on replay because UT’s Justin Martin lunged from behind and forced Davis to fumble before crossing the plane. The ball went out of the end zone, so that resulted in a touchback and Tennessee’s ball on its own 20.

Instead of UF taking a commanding 20-3 advantage, UT was left with plenty of hope and the Gators still hadn’t produced a TD all season long. With new life, Tennessee took all the momentum with a swift drive against a now-tiring UF defense that was capped by John Kelly’s 34-yard TD run. Florida answered and finally scored a TD on Feliepe Franks's five-yard TD pass to Brandon Powell.

But the Vols needed merely 30 seconds to answer back with a 28-yard scoring strike from Quinten Dormady to Ethan Wolf, slicing the deficit to 20-17 with 4:43 remaining. Now let’s get back to the total I referenced. At this point in the day, I had hit Oklahoma State for a winner, the Toledo-Tulsa ‘over’ was easily on track and I was looking at a 3-0 start with ‘under’ 50 for UF-UT. But now overtime was a possibility and a game that didn’t see an offensive TD scored until 8:36 left in the fourth quarter might result in a wild Bad Beat.

When the Vols inexplicably refused to give the ball to Kelly in the red zone (yet again!) and had to settle for a 27-yard field goal by Aaron Medley to knot the score at 20-20 with 50 ticks left, ‘under’ backers were scared to death. Then more craziness ensued.

On a second-and-five play from its own 28, Franks completed a four-yard pass close to a first down with 35 seconds remaining. UF had two timeouts left. The TV cameras weren’t on Jim McElwain, but I’m presuming he was arguing for the refs to stop the clock and measure for a first down. Whatever the case, he didn’t use a timeout and the Gators took forever to get a play run. Remember, UF has a kicker in Eddy Pineiro who made an 80-yarder (against air) on a YouTube video this summer and clearly has the leg to attempt a field goal from at least 65 yards out.

Nevertheless, by the time Mark Thompson’s short run got a first down, the clock had dripped from 35 seconds to nine. With one timeout remaining, a 20-yard gain would set up Pineiro for a 60-yard FG attempt. If you’re Jones at this point, you can live with that scenario. What you can’t do, OBVIOUSLY, is get beat deep. What you do here is rush three, send four defenders deep (literally set up way back at the goal line) and have your four others to defend the 20-yard pass to set up the FG. If at any point Franks has to scramble and thus use all the time left for that potential FG, you beat it into the four defenders at medium range to sprint back and defend the Hail Mary.

When Franks was flushed out of the pocket, that was the scenario. Yet somehow the Vols were in man coverage on UF’s fastest WR who was coasting past his man and behind the defense. Franks caught Tyrie Cleveland out of the corner of his eye and let it fly. It landed in Cleveland’s arms perfectly and The Swamp erupted. For the third time in four years, UF had somehow found a way to beat UT. Final Score: Florida 26, Tennessee 20.

Gambling results: Under 50. As for the side, it depended on when bettors placed their wagers. Florida spent much of the week favored by 4.5 or five points. The line shot up to six on Saturday afternoon and some books actually closed the number north of six. But for gamblers on the Vols at +4.5, five or 5.5, it was a trip to the Heartbreak Hotel. And since no time was remaining on the clock, there was no extra point.

Talk about drama!

Here’s the Big Picture:
              Jones is an idiot with zero clue about how to manage a game. He’s blown three of the last four games against Florida that should’ve been UT wins. He blew the Oklahoma game two years ago. His decisions in a loss to Arkansas two years ago were questionable at best. He’s 2-2 against Vandy, has never beaten Will Muschamp and is 14-19 in SEC play. Factor in the nonsense and excuses that come out of his mouth regularly, and you have a rabid fan base that hates him and wants him gone. That’s his fate come late November.

As for McElwain, he’s now 12-1 at home, unbeaten in SEC play at The Swamp and 2-for-2 on getting his team to Atlanta. That’s the side of the story for him with the glass half full. On the slip side, federal grand theft charges are reportedly looming for at least two players he recruited, including the team’s best player, Antonio Callaway.

Nine players remain suspended, including the offense’s best RB Jordan Scarlett, and there’s no telling if and when those players will be back in uniform. Most important, McElwain was brought to UF to bring some life to an offense that has been an unfathomable disaster since 2009. Florida fans are accustomed to Fun ‘N’ Gun offense, but this side of the ball has been worse on McElwain’s watch than Muschamp’s.

With the exception of the 4-8 season in 2013 when the last nine games were started by QBs (Tyler Murphy and Skyler Mornhinweg) that had never taken a snap under center going into that campaign, Muschamp’s offenses averaged 25.5, 26.5 and 30.3 points per game. In McElwain’s first two seasons when defenses recruited by Muschamp led the Gators to SEC East titles during the Dark Ages Era of the division, the offense has averaged 23.2 and 23.9 PPG. And now in 2017, the offense has scored two TDs in two games.

Is there young talent on the roster? Yes. Is UF still capable of winning the East again? Yes. But McElwain was hired by Jeremy Foley, who from this view looks like his career of hiring football coaches is going to be a 1-for-4 batting average. New AD Scott Stricklin likes first downs and TDs, and McElwain had better start producing them.

UF has beaten Kentucky 30 consecutive times, but a loss in Lexington this week is a real possibility. So is a loss at home to Vandy the next week. McElwain’s seat isn’t hotter than that of Jones, Sumlin and a host of others in the SEC, but that could change real quickly in the coming weeks. Obviously, things could go the other way, but I’m on record now as saying that I strongly believe that McElwain is not The Guy for the Gators in the long run.

Speaking of those Wildcats coached by Mark Stoops, they went into South Carolina and won 23-13 as 5.5-point underdogs to improve to 3-0. Kentucky has won 10 of its last 13 regular-season games. Meanwhile, the Gamecocks took a crushing blow when junior WR Deebo Samuel was most likely lost for the season due to a broken leg.

Samuel was playing like a first-team All-American. On the first play of South Carolina’s season, he returned a kick for a TD and scored three TDs in the 35-28 win over N.C. State. When USC fell down 10-0 at Missouri, he responded with two TDs in a four-play sequence. Then on the first play from scrimmage against UK, he caught a 68-yard TD pass for his sixth TD of the year.

Mississippi State remained unbeaten by trouncing LSU 37-7 as a 7.5-point home underdog. The best hire of the offseason was clearly made by Dan Mullen, who pulled defensive coordinator Todd Grantham away from Louisville. Before Grantham was at U of L, he was the DC at Georgia. MSU travels to Athens to face UGA between the hedges in Week 4.

Nick Fitzgerald looks like a legit Heisman Trophy contender after throwing for 180 yards and two TDs without an interception vs. LSU. The junior QB also ran for 88 yards and two TDs on 14 attempts. For the season, Fitzgerald has thrown for 543 yards and seven TDs compared to only one interception. He has rushed for 240 yards and five TDs while averaging 7.7 yards per carry.

Clemson went on the road and smashed U of L by a 47-21 count as a three-point road ‘chalk.’ Kelly Bryant continued to look extremely sharp, throwing for 316 yards and one TD without an interception. The junior QB also ran for a pair of scores, while true freshman RB Travis Etienne rushed for 98 yards and one TD on just six totes.

Vanderbilt is 3-0 for the first time since 2011 after knocking off Kansas State 14-7 as a 4.5-point home underdog. Kyle Shurmur threw one TD pass and ran for another score to pace the Commodores, who have also seen the ‘under’ go 3-0. Vandy is now 9-3 as a home underdog since Derek Mason took over, with a showdown at home vs. Alabama on deck.

Southern Cal survived an extremely game effort from Texas to win a double-overtime thriller, 27-24. Sam Darnold threw three TD passes, but he was intercepted twice, including one pick-six. The Longhorns easily took the cash as 17-point underdogs, as Tom Herman’s success as a double-digit ‘dog continued. The Trojans are staring at back-to-back road assignments, including a trip to Pullman on a short week after facing unbeaten Cal in Berkeley.

Justin Wilcox is doing a great job with the Golden Bears, who rallied from a 16-7 halftime deficit to clip Ole Miss, 27-16, as seven-point home ‘dogs. The Rebels didn’t have star sophomore WR A.J. Brown, who is out for at least 1-2 more weeks with a sprained MCL. Brown was leading the nation in receiving yards going into Week 3 after bringing down 16 catches for 389 yards and four TDs in his team’s first two games.

San Diego State is unbeaten and Stanford is 1-2 after the Aztecs captured a 20-17 win over the Cardinal as an 8.5-point home ‘dog. San Diego State’s defense limited Stanford to 238 yards of total offense. Rashaad Penny was the catalyst for the winners, rushing for 175 yards and one TD on 32 workmanlike carries. Penny is the country’s leader in rushing yards with 588 and he’s scored six TDs in three different ways.

One week after leaving the Boise State game with an injury, Washington State star QB Luke Falk returned to lead his team past winless Oregon State, 52-23. Falk completed 37-of-49 throws for 396 yards and six TDs without an interception.

Purdue has found itself a coach.
              Jeff Brohm’s team went on the road and blasted Missouri 35-3 as a six-point underdog to improve to 2-1 straight up and 3-0 against the spread. Brohm took over a program that had won three games or fewer in four straight seasons.

The impact of Brohm’s outstanding coaching is also being felt at Western Kentucky. The Hilltoppers blew a fourth-quarter lead in a 23-22 home loss to La. Tech one week after they dropped a 20-7 decision at Illinois.

**B.E.’s Bonus Nuggets**

--The coaching in the SEC has never been worse.
              Only six of the 14 teams in the league feel good about their situations right now. Those schools are Alabama, Mississippi State, Vandy, Kentucky, South Carolina and Georgia. And Stoops was on the hot seat at this point last year, while Smart went 7-5 in his first season. And of course, Muschamp has been fired from an SEC job before. Furthermore, MSU is going to have to fend off fellow SEC schools for Mullen in December. Names to think about with SEC openings galore coming in November and December: Bobby Petrino, Chip Kelly, Mullen, Lane Kiffin, Jeff Brohm and Mike Leach. If things go south on McElwain at UF, there's the Stricklin-Mullen connection from MSU and Mullen's time at UF that included a pair of national titles. One thing to consider with Mullen like Bo Bounds pointed out on Monday's edition of the Paul Finebaum Show, he is making nearly $5 million per year. So that's the starting point on negotiations with him. As a UF alum, I would want Brohm, who is younger and will come cheaper, though I have no clue about his buyout situation at Purdue.

-- Texas All-American OT Connor Williams is out indefinitely with a meniscus tear and sprains of his MCL and PCL. He is slated to have surgery sometime next week.

-- Michigan’s leading WR is out indefinitely. True freshman Tarik Black needs surgery to repair a cracked foot suffered in this past Saturday’s non-covering home win over Air Force. Black had made 11 catches for 149 yards and one TD in the first three games of his career.

-- BYU starting QB Tanner Mangum is out indefinitely with an ankle injury. Mangum has struggled this season with only two TD passes compared to four interceptions. Hell, BYU is one of the nation’s biggest disappointments to date, with a 1-3 SU record and a 0-4 ATS mark. Remember, the Cougars went 9-4 last season with their defeats coming by combined points. They brought back six starters on offense and seven on defense.

-- After making 34 consecutive starts for Washington State at MLB, senior Peyton Pelluer will miss the rest of the regular season with a fractured foot, according to a report from the Lewiston Tribune. Pelluer had a team-best 93 tackles for the Cougars in 2016.

-- McElwain has dubbed Florida star CB Duke Dawson as ‘highly questionable’ at UK after sustaining a head injury vs. UT. Dawson tweeted on Monday that he was fine and would play in Lexington, but McElwain has refuted that notion -- at least for now. Dawson has two interceptions in two games to date, including a pick-six in the loss to Michigan.

-- Middle Tennessee could be without its two best players Saturday vs. Bowling Green. QB Brent Stockstill couldn't go in a 34-3 loss at Minnesota due to a shoulder injury. Then WR Richie James was injured against the Gophers. Both are listed as 'questionable.' Stockstill had a 31/7 TD-INT ratio last season, while James had 105 receptions for 1,625 yards and 12 TDs.

-- Nevada
              was the biggest ‘chalk’ to lose outright, falling 30-28 to Idaho State as a 34.5-point home favorite.

-- Tennessee has two more costly injuries on defense. Starting LB Cortez McDowell is done for the season with a wrist injury, while senior safety Todd Kelly is out indefinitely. That leaves the Vols without all three of their projected starting LBs and their leading returning tackler (Kelly). LBs Darrin Kirkland and Austin Smith went down with season-enders in August.

-- UTEP fired Brent Pease as its offensive coordinator on Monday. Pease is a former OC at both Florida and Boise State.

-- Georiga Tech will be without starting senior tackle Andrew Marshall and reserve LB David Curry vs. Pittsburgh. With its Week 3 game at UCF postponed due to Hurricane Irma, Paul Johnson’s club has had an extra week to prepare for its ACC opener. The Panthers, who have dropped back-to-back games by lopsided margins at Penn State and vs. Oklahoma State, will get star safety Jordan Whitehead back against the Yellow Jackets. Whitehead, a junior who garnered second-team All-ACC honors in both his freshman and sophomore campaigns, will be making his season debut after serving a three-game suspension. Ga. Tech was a 7.5-point home ‘chalk’ on Monday morning.

-- Auburn dismissed QB Sean White from the program Monday after he was arrested early Sunday morning on public-intoxication charges. White was the AU starter for most of last season. Also, DT Byron Cowart has left the program. Cowart was a five-star recruit and Rivals.com had him as the nation’s No. 1 prep player in 2014, but he made only 15 tackles for AU in 26 career games.

Comment

• Malzahn: Former top recruit Byron Cowart leaves Auburn team
                September 19, 2017

AUBURN, Ala. (AP) Auburn defensive lineman Byron Cowart has left the program and been granted his release.

Coach Gus Malzahn confirmed Cowart's decision on Tuesday, a day after he dismissed former starting quarterback Sean White from the team.

Malzahn said the onetime top national recruit came to him ''numerous times over the last couple of weeks disappointed with his playing time.''

Cowart has only three tackles in three games. The 6-foot-3, 283-pound junior arrived rated as the nation's No. 1 recruit according to ESPN and Rivals.com.

It was more bad news for the 15th-ranked Tigers, who play at Missouri on Saturday. White was kicked off the team following an arrest over the weekend on a public intoxication charge and a previous two-game suspension.

Optimism at Purdue as Michigan looms
                September 19, 2017

It says something about the recent state of Purdue football that a road victory over arguably the worst team in the SEC may have the program in the most optimistic place it's been in a decade.

But last week's 35-3 shellacking of Missouri has the campus buzzing with anticipation heading into this week's home date with No. 8 Michigan.

Purdue enters with a 2-1 record, the only loss being against a Louisville team that the Boilermakers had on the ropes throughout. The defense broke through with a dominating performance against a heretofore strong Missouri offense, and the Boilermakers looked polished and precise when it had the ball.

Most expected coach Jeff Brohm to come in and replicate the pass-happy offense he'd exhibited at Western Kentucky. But part of the reason for the Boilermakers' early success is the coaching staff's willingness to bend the game-plan to the talent he has.

"I'd love to be able to come in here and throw it every play. We're just not ready for that," Brohm said. "That's not our team right now. I think we're going to continue to get better passing the football, pass protecting, finding some go-to players."

The offense will have its biggest test of the season against a Wolverine defense that ranks fifth in the country in total defense. Brohm is under no illusions as to what he faces.

"Well, always early in the week you watch. You're like, Holy cow, how are we going to score a point? I'm at that stage right now," Brohm said.

"You've got to win some one-on-one matchups. That's not only getting open, but in pass protection. They're bringing a lot of guys, bringing them from all over. They're making it a little more confusing than in the past because they're more multiple in their looks. You got to hit some of them. You have to find a way to make some plays."

Purdue is expecting a sellout crowd on Saturday, a sign that the expectations surrounding the program have changed. After four seasons in a row with three or fewer wins, Boilermaker fans are starting to dream of an earlier-than-expected return to a bowl game.

"I think week one, probably played a little bit closer than a lot of people thought. I think our guys gained some confidence. We came out in the second week and had a good showing. Then the third week against a good opponent on the road, we raised up to the challenge and did a very good job," Brohm said.

"In these type of games (against Michigan), you have to go in internally believing that you can get it done. You've got to be willing to fight the entire game. You have to be able to do the small things and not beat yourself so that you can get in the second half and be close. Then if you can do that, a few things go your way, you never know."

--QB David Blough is coming off two strong games in a row. He was dominant in the first half against Missouri, completing 15 of 17 pass attempts with the only blemishes a dropped pass and a sack-avoiding throwaway.

--WR Jackson Anthrop
                , a redshirt freshman, has scored a touchdown in each of his first three games.

--CB Da'Wan Hunte's
                availability for the Michigan game is uncertain. He was injured in the Missouri game but is experienced enough that he may get snaps on the weekend even if he's limited in practice.

--RB Markell Jones missed his second game in a row with a knee injury. Though there is a chance he'll be able to play this weekend, the better bet is that he'll return for the next game against Minnesota, which follows the Purdue bye week.

Texas Tech earns passing grade so far
                September 19, 2017

Texas Tech, and specifically Red Raiders coach Kliff Kingsbury, faced an uphill battle when this season began.

The list of challenges went something like this: get a lot better on defense, stay close to the same on offense despite the departure of junior QB Patrick Mahomes II for the NFL, take on a better-than-average nonconference schedule, then face the rigors of Big 12 play, and make it to a bowl game after missing out in 2016.

Through two games, the Red Raiders appear to be making progress on that list.

Nic Shimonek has shown he's up to the task of replacing Mahomes -- at least through two games. Shimonek ranks fourth in the nation in passing efficiency (213.2 rating) and has thrown for 927 yards and nine touchdowns. He has another hurdle to clear this week as Houston, with All-American defensive tackle Ed Oliver, likely will be the toughest defense he's faced.

Yes, Texas Tech (2-0) gave up 45 points in a 52-45 victory over Arizona State on Saturday. The Sun Devils scored on four straight drives in the second half. The glass-half-empty take on that is that the Red Raiders still can't stop anybody on defense.

But the glass-half-full view is that Texas Tech stopped Arizona State from gaining even a first down on its final two possession when the Sun Devils had a chance to take the lead and then tie the game in the closing minutes.

Although Texas Tech missed an apparent chance to put the game away earlier and blew an 18-point lead, the Red Raiders still walked away with a win. In 2016, Texas Tech lost four games that were decided by eight points or less.

"There's a lot of guys back on this roster, offensively and defensively, that played a bunch of snaps last year and went through those games," Kingsbury said during the Big 12 teleconference on Monday.

"There's no substitute for experience and experiencing that and how to get better the next time. They've been through that one year and had it not turned out the way they wanted. So we can hopefully change that."

The challenge only gets bigger for the Red Raiders this week as they travel to play former Southwest Conference rival Houston. Arizona State showed Texas Tech's pass defense to be a possible weakness and the Cougars (2-0) have the passing game to exploit it, led by Texas A&M transfer quarterback Kyle Allen.

"We're not where we want to be, obviously," Kingsbury said. "I feel like the team is working hard, I think their mentality is right. They're just trying to get better every day. They're not looking past anybody. That's what having a tough nonconference schedule will do for you."

--WR Dylan Cantrell
                had a breakout game versus Arizona State, making a highlight-reel one-handed catch in the second half and finishing with eight receptions for 160 yards and two TDs. He also scored the Red Raiders' game-winning touchdown on an end around. With opposing defenses having their hands full covering Texas Tech WRs Derrick Willies and Keke Coutee, Cantrell is likely to benefit from favorable matchups a lot this season.

--RB Da'Leon Ward
                is back with the team after missing practice in August due to academic requirements. Kingsbury didn't say when Ward, the team's leading rusher as a freshman in 2016, might be available to play. Ward hasn't played so far this season.

Saban: No panic about Alabama defense
                September 19, 2017

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- Alabama coach Nick Saban said he didn't like how the defense finished against Colorado State.

Despite last week's 41-23 win, linebacker Shaun Dion Hamilton and other defenders said the defense would have a "come-to-Jesus" meeting after the Crimson Tide surrendered 391 yards to the Rams.

Top-ranked Alabama is 3-0, but the defense didn't play up to standard last Saturday.

Saban gave his thoughts on player-only meetings during his Monday news conference.

"I think it's really up to the players but I also think that every player has got to look at what they have to do to try to improve and get better," Saban said.

"I think everybody can contribute in a more positive way by just a little better execution. The effort was good in the game; the toughness was good in the game. And really for three quarters in the game we played pretty well against a pretty good offensive team. We just didn't finish the game like we needed to. I don't think anybody needs to be panicking."

Alabama linebacker Keith Holcombe wouldn't reveal any details surrounding the meeting, but noted that it was necessary for the players to come together.

"That's a team issue but there's some stuff that we need to talk about and let everybody know we're good, we're solid," Holcombe said.

"We're going to play our game but we understand there are things we messed up and we're going to sit down and make sure everybody understands we're a team together and we're going to play together and clean up and get ready for conference play."

The last known players-only meeting Alabama came after the 2015 loss to Ole Miss. That talk sparked the Crimson Tide's turnaround and run toward becoming national champion.

Alabama hopes to clean up some of its defensive issues this week before its trip to Nashville to face Vanderbilt on Saturday. Kickoff is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. ET on CBS.

Saban said these types of meetings can be good if handled correctly.

"I think the leadership on the team is making an attempt to affect other players maybe to prepare a little better. Eliminate some of the mental errors," Saban said. "Play together as a unit. Communicate a little better. These are all things that the coaches will certainly emphasize to the players to try to help them play better. It's our responsibility to get that across.

"But we don't want these things to be like feel-good meetings where everybody feels good when they leave but they were concerned when they started. It could be good and bad depending on how it's handled."

Comment

• AP All-America Watch: VTech WR rising; LSU RB start slow
                  September 19, 2017

The Associated Press has been honoring college football's best with an All-America team since 1925. This season, the AP released its first preseason All-America team and will also weigh-in with a midseason team before the full, three-team All-America selections are unveiled in December. The second installment of the weekly All-America watch:

INTRODUCING

Cam Phillips, WR, Virginia Tech

The senior showed growth in each of his first three seasons in Blacksburg, but he entered this year as by far the most-seasoned pass catcher on the team. Phillips has taken nicely to being the go-to guy for new quarterback Josh Jackson. He has 27 catches (second in the nation) for 417 yards (tops in the country) and five touchdowns, including 14 catches and three scores in a rout of East Carolina.

What they are saying: ''He understands the game. He understands leverages. He understands alignments. He's a smart football player.'' - Virginia Tech coach Justin Fuente.

Outlook: Phillips has accounted for 48.2 percent of the Hokies' receptions, 49.3 percent of their yards receiving and, according to ESPN Stats and Info, 44.3 percent of their targets. Only Maryland's D.J. Moore has a higher percentage of his team's targets (51.6). Fuente would like to find more balance, but Phillips is looking at being one of the busiest - and best - receivers in the country this season.

WHO'S HOT?

Charles Wright, OLB, Vanderbilt

The Commodores' take the third-best defense in the country (3.44 yards per play allowed) into their game against No. 1 Alabama, and Wright has been major part of that. The junior is second in the nation in sacks with six after getting two - and a couple of hurries - in Vanderbilt's 14-7 victory against Kansas State. The last time a Commodores player has had as many as six sacks in a season was 2012.

WHO'S NOT?

Derrius Guice, RB, LSU.

Guice is off to an OK start, averaging 100 yards per game (33rd in the nation) and 5.26 yards per carry. Much was expected of the preseason All-American and in his two games against FBS teams (BYU and Mississippi State) Guice has 198 yards and a 4.7-yard average per carry. LSU getting blown out by Mississippi State helped limit him to 15 carries and he isn't used much in the passing game (two catches for seven yards). A breakout is likely coming. Maybe this weekend against Syracuse.

ON THE LINE (Former Auburn offensive lineman and ESPN analyst Cole Cubelic identifies an O-lineman worth watching)

Billy Price, C, Ohio State.

The Buckeyes bounced back from a loss to Oklahoma with an efficient victory against Army. He was one of the best guards in the country last season and is making a seamless transition to center, according to Cubelic.

''Price plays with elite quickness, moving laterally well, cutting off defensive linemen, climbing to linebackers and helping in pass protection,'' Cubelic said. ''His awareness at the position may be the most impressive part of his game, considering his lack of true game experience there.''

ISN'T THAT SPECIAL?

Dante Pettis, PR, Washington.

Pettis is the Huskies' most-accomplished receiver, but he's been setting record as a punt returner so far this season. He has brought a punt back for a touchdown in each of Washington's first three games, matching two NCAA records. His eight career punt return TDs equals a mark set by Antonio Perkins of Oklahoma and Wes Welker of Texas Tech. He also became the third player with punt returns TDs in three straight games. He goes for four in row at Colorado on Saturday.

REPEATER

Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma.

Mayfield had to settle for third-team All-America last season behind Lamar Jackson of Louisville (Heisman Trophy winner) and Deshaun Watson of Clemson (Heisman Trophy runner-up). Mayfield led the nation in passer efficiency rating in 2016 and he is at the top of that leaderboard again (224.2) for players with more than one game. He heads into Big 12 play with 10 touchdown passes and no interceptions.

ALL-AMERICA MATCHUP

Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State vs. Josey Jewell, LB, Iowa.

Barkley's Heisman campaign is off to a nice start. The preseason All-American ranks fourth in the nation in yards from scrimmage at 182.7 per game with five touchdowns, despite not being needed to put in a full workload in two of the Nittany Lions' blowout victories. Jewell is also a preseason All-American and the Hawkeyes' leading tackler. The two are likely to collide frequently in Saturday night as No. 4 Penn State visits Iowa City.

Comment

• Rookie Carson emerging as Seahawks running back
                    September 19, 2017

RENTON, Wash. -- If Sunday's workload was any indication, the Seattle Seahawks may have found themselves a new starting running back.

After Thomas Rawls started the game and received five carries in the opening quarter, the Seahawks turned to rookie Chris Carson for the rest of the afternoon. Carson came through with 93 yards on 20 carries as Seattle's rushing game showed signs of life after a meek showing in the team's season opener in Green Bay last week.

"I think we got something," head coach Carroll said of Carson. "I think he's a really good football player."

Rawls gained just four yards on his five carries before Carson took over as the lead option. With Eddie Lacy a healthy scratch and C.J. Prosise used more in the passing game, Carson has seemingly laid claim to the job.

"It was a blessing just to have that trust from the coaches and I didn't want to miss that opportunity," Carson said.

Carson contributed heavily to the Seahawks sealing the victory in the closing minutes. Seattle took possession with 4:47 remaining and needed to string a few first downs together to run out the clock. He rushed for 41 yards on five carries on the drive and converted three first downs to enable the offense to kneel out the final two minutes of clock.

"He's the real deal, he's the real deal," wide receiver Doug Baldwin said. "I've been telling y'all that since training camp, he is the real deal. There's an aspect to him mentally that you don't find in football players; it's very hard to find that aspect mentally in a football player, and Chris Carson has it. He's going to be a phenomenal running back in this league for as long as he wants to be."

Carson has shown to be effective in all aspects of the game for Seattle. He has 132 yards on 26 carries with two receptions for 17 yards as well. He has also been capable as a blocker in the passing game. He was effective in the preseason, carrying 24 times for 102 yards and two touchdowns and catching four passes for 64 yards.

"I think we can have very high expectations for Chris' play," Carroll said. "Everything that he has done has been very, very consistent. I think he can continue to go. He didn't have any problem carrying it 20 times, which is a good sign. ... He's done everything we've really asked of him so we're going to keep going with him and mix him in with the fellas and try to get a really good production out of that position."

Comment

• Yellow Jackets well-rested for Pitt
                      September 19, 2017

ATLANTA (AP) From the perspective of Pittsburgh coach Pat Narduzzi, Georgia Tech's unexpected off week gave the Yellow Jackets the advantage of extra practice time for this week's ACC opener.

For Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson, having last week's game at Central Florida cancelled by Hurricane Irma felt almost like a loss.

''In my mind that's akin to losing because you're trying to get a certain number of wins,'' Johnson said Tuesday. ''If you don't get to play, you might as well count it as a loss. ... That's why we were disappointed we didn't get to play.''

Johnson said Georgia Tech (1-1) has looked for a possible replacement game on its Oct. 7 open date. The planned Sept. 16 game at Central Florida could not be rescheduled because the schools don't share the same open date.

Johnson said the missed opportunity for added game experience hurts young players and new starters, including quarterback TaQuon Marshall .

The Yellow Jackets started preparing for Saturday's visit from Panthers (1-2) last week after learning the Central Florida game would not be played.

Narduzzi said that means time for ''extra rest, extra scheming'' for the Yellow Jackets while his team was suffering a 59-21 loss to No. 6 Oklahoma State .

Narduzzi perhaps would like time for extra scheming to prepare for Georgia Tech's option attack. He said Monday his staff was still trying to choose a scout team quarterback who could impersonate Marshall in the spread-option offense.

''Marshall can throw it and run it, and he slings it pretty darned good for a guy that used to be one of their A-backs and then transitioned to the quarterback position,'' Narduzzi said. ''He's athletic. He can run. We've got to find the right scout quarterback this week. I'm not sure we've got one yet, so we're still working on that.''

Marshall leads Georgia Tech with 274 yards rushing and six touchdowns. He has three scoring passes with no interceptions.

It has been a strong start to the season for Marshall, but still he has played only two games. Johnson said last week's missed chance for more game experience hurts Marshall and other new starters.

''The more he plays the better he's going to get, you hope,'' Johnson said. ''It's hard to replace the game reps. That what I'm talking about for all those guys.''

Johnson gave his team three days off last weekend, so players should be healthy and rested for their first Atlantic Coast Conference game.

''We really appreciate coach Johnson gave us this weekend off so we could get off our feet back,'' Marshall said after Monday's practice. ''... I feel really great, actually.''

Johnson acknowledged the rest was valuable after the Yellow Jackets opened the season with a loss to Tennessee in a Monday night game and then beat Jacksonville State only five days later.

''From a purely rest standpoint we're going to be more rested because that would have been three games in 13 days, but when you have a lot of young guys who haven't played you lose those game reps you can't really get in practice,'' Johnson said. ''You try, but it's just not the same.''

Comment

• Syracuse upbeat after convincing win
                        September 19, 2017

SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) Syracuse is back on track after a big home win, and the fourth game of the second season under coach Dino Babers is at hand. This is the moment when he feels his system is ready for takeoff. It's happened before in his previous two head coaching jobs.

In his first year at Eastern Illinois (2012), his Panthers finished 7-5 and then went 12-2. A 42-7 victory over Eastern Kentucky in the fourth game of 2013 started a nine-game winning streak as the team finished with 8,253 yards of total offense.

Babers then left for Bowling Green and his Falcons went 8-6 in his first season and 10-3 in his second after starting 1-2. A victory over Purdue in the fourth game kicked off a seven-game winning streak.

At Syracuse, Babers is facing a completely different level of competition. Eastern Illinois is a member of college football's second tier, the Football Championship Subdivision, and the Mid-American Conference where Bowling Green has had great success is a far cry from the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Syracuse (2-1) hits the road for the first time this season on Saturday night for a game against No. 25 LSU (2-1). It will be contested in one of the most imposing venues in college football - Tiger Stadium.

Babers remains resolute in his prediction, even though he's never been to the stadium nicknamed Death Valley.

''I'm not going to back away from the statement. This is when we normally get going,'' Babers said Monday. ''I think based off the last game it's probably about right. It just happens to be some of the toughest games on the schedule (ahead). That's how they fall.''

Babers isn't hedging because of the Orange's convincing 41-17 win over Central Michigan on Saturday. The Chippewas didn't score in the final 37 minutes of the game as the up-tempo Orange offense excelled, outgaining Central Michigan 333-60 in the third quarter alone.

''If we were going to play that game to the end, the fourth quarter would have been even better than the third quarter,'' Babers said. ''They (the Chippewas) were getting exhausted on both sides of the ball, we were moving at a very fast tempo and a very fast pace. We were operating at a high efficiency.

''That's what it's supposed to look like,'' Babers said. ''Now we've got to see if we can go out there and duplicate that again against some other opponents.''

LSU is coming off an eye-opening 37-7 loss at Mississippi State, which vaulted into the AP Top 25 at No. 17 on Sunday while the Tigers dropped 13 spots. The Bulldogs dominated that game from the outset as LSU self-destructed with dropped passes, untimely penalties, missed assignments and poor tackling.

Babers watched video of that game three times starting in the wee hours Sunday to begin formulating his game plan.

''We've got to attack them a different way,'' he said. ''To say that we can take the Mississippi State game plan and do it with our athletes, that's not smart. We've got to do what we do and hopefully things will work out.''

Against Central Michigan, Syracuse accumulated 579 total yards offensively, 305 on the ground. The Orange averaged 6.8 yards per carry, and nearly half of those rushing yards came on two carries - a 74-yard run by quarterback Eric Dungey and a 71-yarder by tailback Moe Neal. Both led to touchdowns as the Orange exhibited some big-play capability.

Dungey led the team with 105 yards, the second 100-yard rushing game of his career, and is Syracuse's leading rusher at 69.7 yards per game. He also has four rushing TDs to boost his career total to 15, just four shy of the school record shared by Bill Hurley and Donovan McNabb.

''Syracuse has a speed offense,'' said LSU coach Ed Orgeron, a former assistant at Syracuse. ''It is very uptempo like Missouri last year. It is fast-paced. Eric Dungey is a very efficient quarterback.''

Two years ago, LSU traveled to the Carrier Dome ranked eighth and held on for a 34-24 victory. Junior college transfer Zack Mahoney, the fifth string quarterback in preseason camp, made his first career start for the Orange because of injuries and kept them in the game. Dungey was out with a concussion suffered the previous week against Central Michigan.

Comment

• Arkansas' Allen aims to relax, rediscover last year's form
                          September 19, 2017

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (AP) Arkansas quarterback Austin Allen emerged as one of the top quarterbacks in the Southeastern Conference last season, and he entered this year as the league's leading returner in passing efficiency.

So far, the senior's encore has yet to live up to the lofty expectations he set a year ago in his first season as the starter for the Razorbacks (1-1).

Arkansas faces Texas A&M (2-1) in the Dallas Cowboys' AT&T Stadium on Saturday, doing so after a 28-7 loss to No. 16 TCU two weeks ago. The Razorbacks failed to score in the second half against the Horned Frogs, the third time in four games that's happened under coach Bret Bielema.

Allen has thrown for 135 and 138 yards in the first two games, the two lowest totals of his career as a starter. He's been plagued by an overhauled group of wide receivers and a struggling offensive line, but more than anything the Fayetteville native has looked uncomfortable and uncertain.

''I'm looking for things to get open instead of throwing it open,'' Allen said. ''Last year, I was just letting it rip.''

Allen averaged nearly 264 yards passing per game a year ago, throwing for 25 touchdowns and 15 interceptions and finishing with a passing efficiency rating of 146. He also completed 61.1 percent of his passes last season, a number that has fallen to 54.8 percent through two games this year - while his passing efficiency has dipped to 120.3

Offensive coordinator Dan Enos said Allen has been ''processing'' too much during plays so far this year, and that the quarterback's footwork and throwing motion haven't been as consistent as a year ago.

The two have worked on both the physical and mental parts of Allen's early struggles since the TCU loss, with Allen saying he plans to play more of a relaxed game this week against the Aggies.

''I was just putting too much pressure on myself, where I want to be perfect on every play,'' Allen said. ''I've got let things come to me and instead of trying to be perfect on every throw, just throw the ball.''

Arkansas' top three receivers graduated after last season, leaving a largely unproven group to support Allen this year. Also, the team's leading receiver - senior Jared Cornelius - missed most of the preseason with an injury and has only returned to full speed during practice since the TCU loss.

That lack on continuity has had an effect, most notably during the TCU loss when Allen completed 9 of 23 passes with only three completions to wide receivers.

Bielema said, in addition to Cornelius returning to 100 percent during practice this week, the rest of the Razorbacks have been able to practice at full speed on offense over the last week for the first time this season.

Now he's counting on Allen to trust that his teammates will do their jobs - while focusing only on his.

''I think he's also felt the weight of the world, trying to make this whole offense go when all he's got to do is be the quarterback,'' Bielema said. ''He's got guys around him that can run the football, guys around him to can catch the football, guys in front of him who can block for him.

''All he's got to do is be the quarterback, and the more he does that the better we'll be.''

Comment

• Oklahoma State's receiver group more than just Washington
                            September 19, 2017

STILLWATER, Okla. (AP) James Washington came into the season as the standout receiver for No. 6 Oklahoma State. Now he has a lot of company among the Cowboys' talented group of wide receivers.

Four OSU wideouts, including Washington, recorded at least 100 yards receiving in Oklahoma State's 59-21 victory over Pittsburgh, as Heisman Trophy candidate Mason Rudolph threw for 497 yards and five touchdowns, all in the first half.

That was the first time in school history more than two receivers reached 100 yards in the same game and the first time any team had four since Texas Tech in 2005.

''Going into the year, we felt good about the group we have, and they're competitive,'' Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy said. ''We've got young guys who are making plays. They're unselfish. The depth allows us to save legs and keep them fresh throughout the game. Mason's done a good job, with the exception of the one interception he threw, in distributing the ball, based on what the defense gives us.''

The Cowboys play their Big 12 opener Saturday against No. 16 TCU.

While Washington had five receptions for 124 yards against Pitt, he didn't make his first catch until late in the second quarter, when Oklahoma State was already ahead 35-0. Pitt clearly made a tactical decision to eliminate Washington, one of the favorites for the Biletnikoff Award as the nation's top receiver, as a threat, so Rudolph simply found other open receivers.

Junior Jalen McCleskey had seven receptions for 162 yards and three touchdowns, while freshman Dillon Stoner had five catches for 100 yards and a touchdown and senior Marcell Ateman pulled down four catches for 109 yards and a TD.

''They're unselfish, that's really the biggest characteristic that helps you because they understand work ethic, they care for one another, they like to see each other succeed,'' OSU offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich said. ''That's really important. It makes it fun to coach, because you're not stressed. It doesn't matter. Whoever's open gets it, whatever coverage they're going to roll to, you go the other way. You can't predict it and you just go through the progressions and let the quarterback do what he does, and it makes it easier for everybody.''

McCleskey attributed his breakout performance, in which he achieved career-highs in yards and touchdowns, to Rudolph simply going to the open man. After recording a team-leading 73 receptions last year for 812 yards (second to Washington's 1,380) and seven touchdowns (second to Washington's 10), McCleskey had just five catches for 17 yards in Oklahoma State's first two games.

''Whenever they take something away, the other (receivers) have to step up and make plays, and that's what we did,'' McCleskey said. ''Whatever they give us, we're going to take it. So the first two games, James and (Ateman), they had big games, and this game was just mine.''

Stoner, lining up mostly as a slot receiver, also set personal bests in receptions and yards, and recorded his first career receiving touchdown (he did throw one last year before he was redshirted). He entered the day with six catches for 42 yards.

Ateman, who missed all of last season with a foot injury, continued his stellar season. Through three games he is tied with Washington for the team lead with 13 receptions and is second with 235 yards.

''They know one day they might get eight touches and the next day it might be only three,'' Yurcich said of the group. ''And they understand who's getting double-covered and who's open, and we can only snap one ball on each play. They get it and they're a very talented group.'

Comment

• UCLA's ground game seeks a breakthrough against Stanford
                              September 19, 2017

LOS ANGELES (AP) UCLA has struggled to run the ball and stop Stanford's rushing attack during its nine-game losing streak against the Cardinal.

The Bruins are hoping to reverse both trends on Saturday and get coach Jim Mora his first win in the rivalry.

''The coaches are saying that we need to basically leave it all on the field,'' right guard Michael Alves said. ''I mean, of course that's the expectation for every game, but they said this is the specific game that we really need to really put forth all our effort.''

Mora is 0-6 against Stanford. Since he took over, the Bruins have averaged 31.3 carries for 131.5 yards rushing per game against the Cardinal. But that total is buoyed by UCLA's 284 yards in the 2012 Pac-12 championship game.

Looking at just the regular season, UCLA is averaging 3.36 yards per attempt and totaling 101 yards per game. That includes a meager 77 yards on 33 carries last season, when Stanford scored two touchdowns in the final 24 seconds for a 22-13 comeback win.

''This is only my second year,'' Alves said. ''I'm not too familiar with all of it, but I remember last year was a close game. I thought we were going to win.''

Stanford has struggled to defend the run this season. It allowed 307 yards rushing in a 42-24 loss to Southern California in the conference opener, and No. 22 San Diego State ran for 171 yards in a 20-17 win last week.

Alves said those totals reflect what the Trojans and Aztecs did right, not what Stanford did wrong.

''It's just the offenses are executing well,'' Alves said. ''Every block they are making perfectly, so all we have to do is make our blocks and there should be holes there.''

UCLA's new offense under first-year coordinator Jedd Fisch has come close to achieving similar success, but still has work to do. After abandoning the run to stage an unlikely 45-44 rally against Texas A&M, UCLA rushed for 132 yards against Hawaii and 170 yards in last week's loss at Memphis.

Fisch chooses not to evaluate his run game by the final yardage total. Instead, he wants UCLA to average at least 4.5 yards per carry. By that measure, the last two outings were successful, including a season-best 5.1 yards per attempt against the Tigers.

Still, there were too many breakdowns for new offensive line coach Hank Fraley's liking.

''I think that every time we run the ball we miss it by that much,'' Alves said. ''When we have a negative play, we have a gain for less than 4 yards, I think we miss it by maybe one block, maybe half a block, so coach Fraley has been stressing that we need to finish our blocks. We need to make sure we're doing everything he is teaching us. Then we won't have those little mistakes and we'll be able to open big holes.''

Getting the run game in gear would also help UCLA avoid the massive time of possession disparity Stanford usually has been able to build, averaging 45.3 carries for 217 yards against Mora's defenses.

If UCLA's offense can turn the tables with the run, it would be a welcome change for the Bruins. But Fisch won't go with the run simply for the sake of being stubborn.

''I think the run game has progressed each week. I don't really look at it in terms of what we have to do, run or pass. I just look at it we have to move the football,'' Fisch said. ''We have a good quarterback, so it's OK to pass it.''

Comment

• Georgia's Eason (knee) back at practice, no word on return
                                September 19, 2017

ATHENS, Ga. (AP) Georgia quarterback Jacob Eason is back at practice but it's not known if he'll be cleared to play Saturday when the 11th-ranked Bulldogs host No. 17 Mississippi State.

Eason started in 2016 as a freshman but strained a ligament in his left knee in Georgia's season-opening victory over Appalachian State. Touted freshman Jake Fromm has played well since taking over, most notably leading Georgia (3-0) to a victory at Notre Dame in his first college start.

When Eason is ready to play, there is no guarantee he will be the starter. Coach Kirby Smart says ''a lot of that is determined by how Fromm is playing. We'll make that decision when the time comes.''

During practice Tuesday, Eason did some passing and dropped back several times. But he was wearing a brace and still seemed to be moving a bit gingerly on his knee during the brief media viewing period.

From all indications, Fromm will remain the starter for the key Southeastern Conference game against Mississippi State (3-0, 1-0).

Eason completed 55 percent of his passes last season for 2,460 yards, with 16 touchdowns and eight interceptions. Fromm has completed just under 60 percent for 449 yards, with five TDs and one interception.

Mond, Aggies look to improve for start of SEC play
                                September 19, 2017

COLLEGE STATION, Texas (AP) Texas A&M freshman quarterback Kellen Mond has improved in each of his three games this season.

The question for the Aggies is has he improved enough to help A&M be successful when Southeastern Conference play begins Saturday against Arkansas.

Mond played his first full game in a 45-21 win over Louisiana-Lafayette on Saturday after splitting time with Nick Starkel in the opener and Jake Hubenak in Week 2. Mond had 301 yards passing with three touchdowns against the Ragin' Cajuns, becoming the first true freshman in school history to pass for 300 yards.

Mond has been adjusting to a different style of play since coming to Texas A&M as one of the top dual-threat quarterbacks in the nation after throwing for 1,936 yards and 20 touchdowns and running for 775 yards and 18 more scores as a senior at IMG Academy last year.

''With quarterbacks you learn more about them as you go along - what their strengths and what their weaknesses are,'' coach Kevin Sumlin said. ''He stood in there and threw some really, really good balls and took some hits last week. Those were some things we hadn't seen from him before instead of just bailing and running.''

Mond's talent and athleticism were undeniable from the moment he took over when Starkel was injured against UCLA. But in the last two weeks his teammates have also seen his evolution as a passer.

''He's definitely (shown) poise in the pocket,'' receiver Aaron Hansford said. ''He's becoming a better pocket passer. He's a great run-threat, but just seeing him be tough in the pocket, taking hits that quarterbacks wouldn't like to take has been real impressive.''

Sumlin said his improvement on Saturday was also a product of more receivers making plays after some of them failed to do so in the previous two weeks. The Aggies are looking for ways to get star receiver Christian Kirk more involved after he was limited to 14 catches for 141 yards through three games.

Kirk finished with 1,009 yards receiving as a freshman and had 928 yards receiving last year. Sumlin knows Kirk is probably frustrated with his decreased production this season, but was quick to point out that his mere presence on the field helps the entire offense.

''The misnomer is that because ... he's being doubled, you have to have another receiver that takes the place of that,'' Sumlin said. ''I think what you saw in a couple of these games was our ability to take advantage of that displacement of defense ... and running the ball the other way for long yardage because they're minus-1 that way.''

That was most evident against UCLA when the Aggies ran for 382 yards in a game that included 72- and 61-yard runs by Trayveon Williams.

''So he's still helping us, trust me,'' Sumlin said. ''He's helping the run game as much as anything by taking two guys with him to the other side of the field.''

The offense should get a boost this week with the return of Williams, who was injured Sept. 9 against Nicholls State and didn't play last week. Williams became the first true freshman in school history to rush for more than 1,000 yards last season and has piled up 256 yards and three touchdowns in just two games this year.

Sumlin knows his offense will be in for a challenge this week in facing a defense which rarely gives up big plays.

''That tells you a lot about what kind of defense they have,'' Sumlin said. ''Keeping things in front of you making you throw into tight windows if you're going to do that ... we've got to be patient with what we do.''

Comment

Working...
                                X