Who Will Win the World Series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by frankb03 View Post
    One WS? 2-1 last 3. 3-4 in last 7. 4-5 in last 9. We can go back further during the Yankees dominance but I'm not sure how that plays a factor in recent season interleague play.

Savage IMO the reason you have so many problems with so many members is how you go about expressing your opinion. We all have opinions. But too often you express your OPINION as if it's gospel. Then no matter what proof is offered to dispel your opinion you don't waver. You complete close the door to any other possibilities.

Yes the AL dominated the NL in interleague play. I think it's ONE factor that a bettor has to consider. But there are other important factors. Teams play such a limited schedule interleague schedule. They only play a few teams each season.

I believe the primary reason the AL has dominated is due to the DH rule. I don't necessarily believe the AL is better. AL teams are built around 9 batters. What AL team doesn't bat their DH 3, 4 or 5? In some cases the DH is the teams best hitter. In interleague play and in the WS the NL utilizes a backup or 4th outfielder as DH. The AL has a huge advantage. If you disagree then you are disagree with every baseball expert.

I agree with you to an extent.
    If you use the criterion that the reason that the AL has been dominant in Interleague play is that they are used to using a DH and the NL is not AND most importantly that the AL has acquired more offensive minded players because of it, then I agree.
    However, if you accept above as a given, it doesn't change the fact that at this juncture that overall that Al is stronger and has proven it over the years in Interleague Play(I think All Star Game results show something but not as m uch as Interleague play).
    I feel that if someday the NL also utilizes a DH, then many players will flock to the NL and any difference between the two leagues will evaporate.

Comment

Since 2004 in interleague play the NL is 327-314 at home vs. AL.

AL @ home vs NL 403-236

Further proof the AL has a huge advantage having teams built around their DH. I do believe the AL is the better league but no where near the dominance that Savage proclaims.
      The truth behind the numbers! I think that says it all.
      Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

• Originally posted by savage1 View Post
        That doesn't directly answer the question I asked;in essence I was asking is that based on the WS win of the Cardinals in 2006, would this have been the first team you would have purchased for the 2007 season and seasons to come if you had the means to do so?
        Who cares? Until this season the White Sox haven't done shit since winning the WS. What's your point? Teams rarely repeat in sports.

Also, the Cards lost some good pitchers to free agent and injuries since winning the WS.

Comment

II feel that if someday the NL also utilizes a DH, then many players will flock to the NL and any difference between the two leagues will evaporate.
          Thanks Captain Obvious! Of course they will because they will need DH's...the NL has no use for a David Ortiz, Jason Giambi..., thats why the AL is so dominat at home...we can go on and on....

Franks breakdown of the InterLeague stat is huge...that tells you that the leagues are pretty evenly matched. I don't think the home field is a huge advantage in baseball so playing in the NL stadiums evens the playing field.

Comment

(I think All Star Game results show something but not as m uch as Interleague play).
            How can you put any weight in the AS game? Most batters get 1 at bat. Most pitchers throw 1 inning. How can one derive dominance from that? Once again the AL has a HUGE advantage because of the DH. Most all star players are in for their offensive performance. The AL has the advantage of 14 extra batters to choose to play in the AS game. Once again how many 4th outfielders in the NL are going to be selected to play in the AS game?

Comment

However, if you accept above as a given, it doesn't change the fact that at this juncture that overall that Al is stronger and has proven it over the years in Interleague Play(I think All Star Game results show something but not as m uch as Interleague play).
              The fact you think this shows anything is unbelievable to me. One game that maybe 15 players out of 60 have a vested interest in who wins and the Managers are more concerned about making sure everyone plays. While it designates home field, when the managers play the best 9 guys for the whole game and the starters start going 7 or 8 innings, then talk to me..........
              Last edited by Three Jack; 10-29-2008, 11:29 PM.

Comment

• I have not read one word in this thread but something tells me it is savage somehow still defending the AL...am I right?
                SOBER SINCE MARCH 28TH OF 2007!!!

Comment

How can you put any weight in the AS game? Most batters get 1 at bat. Most pitchers throw 1 inning. How can one derive dominance from that? Once again the AL has a HUGE advantage because of the DH. Most all star players are in for their offensive performance. The AL has the advantage of 14 extra batters to choose to play in the AS game. Once again how many 4th outfielders in the NL are going to be selected to play in the AS game?
                  WOW...I think I just posted the same thing!
                  Last edited by Three Jack; 10-29-2008, 11:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chado1 View Post
                    I have not read one word in this thread but something tells me it is savage somehow still defending the AL...am I right?
                    Yep...at least you showed some class and remorse and admitted you were wrong for your obnoxious posts about the Phils not winning more thab one game...
                    Last edited by Three Jack; 10-29-2008, 11:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Three Jack View Post
                      Savy, it is such a stupid question and I DID ANSWER IT. If I was purchasing a team, it would be long term and not short term, so who the best team or who won the WS would be immaterial, it would be about VALUE.

When you buy a team, you aren't buying what they won, you are buying the future so the past means nothing. Who WAS the best means nothing.
                      It is not a dumb question.
                      Lets put it this way then:
                      If it could be proven, I would bet after the 2006 season, that if I asked a knowledgeable very rich fan as to which team had the best chances of winning the WS in the foreseeable future and which team he could take over immediately, it would not be the Cardinals;he would more likely choose some of the other teams I mentioned.
                      In short, I think most folks would give credit to the Cardinals for winning the WS but would look back over the entire mediocre season and realize that there were better teams out there to acquire.
                      I don't feel this applies this year-the Phillies had an excellent record and deserved to win.
                      In short, I am simply pointing out that many times a good team such as the Phillies can win a WS, but sometimes a team like St. Louis can get hot.
                      And yes, I was wrong this year-the Phillies did win in spite of their lousy interleague record.
                      For reasons in my previous post to Frank, I still feel the AL is better overall than the NL.
                      However, I will admit that I should not have made as big a deal as I did in the Interleague play being indicative as to a team's chances of winning a WS.

Comment

Yep...at least you showed some class and remorse and admitted you were wrong for your obnoxious posts about the Phils not winning more thab one game...
                        I was so wrong and have been on many ocassions....
                        SOBER SINCE MARCH 28TH OF 2007!!!

Comment

If it could be proven, I would bet after the 2006 season, that if I asked a knowledgeable very rich fan as to which team had the best chances of winning the WS in the foreseeable future

And I would also bet you that 100% of those same knowledgeable fans, if they selected a team from the AL to win a future World Series, would NEVER us dominance in the All Star game as a major basis, or any basis, for their reasoning.

I'm out....

Comment

• Originally posted by Chado1 View Post
                            I was so wrong and have been on many ocassions....
                            We all have, accept our man Savy!

And if you are going to be loud and obnoxious about it, you better expect a large cup of when it doesn't work out your way!

Comment

The fact you think this shows anything is unbelievable to me. One game that maybe 15 players out of 60 have a vested interest in who wins and the Managers are more concerned about making sure everyone plays. While it designates home field, when the managers play the best 9 guys for the whole game and the starters start going 7 or 8 innings, then talk to me..........
                              If what you said was completely true, then the record would be more even over the last 10 years.
                              The reasons that the AL has defeated the NL in Interleague Play and in the All Star games are not what are issue-one judges by results and especially if one gambles.
                              Betting on the AL in interleague Play, All Star Games and to a lesser extent in the WS have been profitable-betting on the NL has not-Why- because for whatever reason the Al has won more games than the NL, meaning they are BETTER, this year's WS notwithstanding.

Comment

• One last point about the DH then I'm going to bed.

It's the mental part of DHing. Many NL DHers have expressed how hard it is for them to stay focused as the DH. They're not used to batting then sitting around on the bench for 2 or 3 innings. The AL DHer are 'professional DHer'. They've learned to play the 'position'. Once again a huge advantage for the AL. And once again if you disagree you disagree with many NL ballplayers and most baseball experts.

Comment

Working...
                                X