X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pirates

Comment

Frank-you never answered my question:

Would you be more likely or less likely say after they had lost say 8 in a row to bet ON them on the following Sunday, bet AGAINST them or that it wouldn't enter into your decision at all?
      There is no right or wrong answer here, but am just curious as to what your opinion is.
      I myself would continue to bet AGAINST that team no matter how much I felt the streak would end if I bet the game at all;in no case would I bet ON that team.
      By my way of thinking, the team loses on Sundays for some kind of reason, and who am I or anyone for that matter to say that this week will be different?
      Last edited by savage1; 07-30-2008, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Twins Over Cubs

Comment

Savage is not a person I would cross......he is a pimp in the true sense of the word and will slap people for far less than a disagreement. careful boys, careful.

PEACE

Comment

Here are a few more things to consider:
            From 2004-2007:
            WS won AL 3 NL 1
            Games won during those WS AL 13 NL 4(3 sweeps by AL)
            Interleague Play- AL finished a whopping 145 games above 500 against the NL
            All Star Games won- AL 4 NL 0
            Can anyone honestly say/imply that this is of absolutely no bearing and/or just a coincidence in making a rational judgment as to who is most likely to win the next WS and which league is better?
            Last edited by savage1; 07-31-2008, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by savage1
              Here are a few more things to consider:
              From 2004-2007:
              WS won AL3 NL1
              Games won during those WS AL 13 NL 4(3 sweeps by AL)
              Interleague Play- AL finished a 145 games above 500 against the NL
              All Star Games won- AL 4 NL 0
              Can anyone honestly say/imply that this is of absolutely no bearing in making a rational judgment as to who is most likely to win the next WS and which league is better?
              As a league overall, yes. As a World Series matchup, no.

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21
                As a league overall, yes. As a World Series matchup, no.
                Respect your opinion but obviously must disagree especially when you consider the 3 sweeps by AL when combined with the other supporting data.
                I realize in 2006 St. Louis did defeat the Tigers, but I still have to think stats would favor picking an AL team over a NL team if forced to pick today.
                Personally with their latest pickup, their overall balance, great road and 8-1 against the Red Sox, it is obvious that Angels are team to beat.
                I am going to plunk down some more money on them to win at all today if I see a line.
                Also, at this point, I would rate the chances of winning the WS ahead of the Red Sox because the Sox's chances of even getting to playoffs are not that great all things consdered.

Comment

Wow-Angels are still +450.
                  Am going to plunk down a few hundred more at least on them.
                  Kbsooner-this should make you happy-Cubs are the FAVORITES at +415!
                  Red Sox and Yankees are at +500.
                  The fact that Milwaukee is at +765 while Tampa is at +765 indicates that Milwaukee has an easier path to get to WS than does Tampa which will probably have to get past Angels and/or Yankees and probably White Sox to get there.
                  In my mind Tampa Bay is far superior to Milwaukee in a relative sense, but because they play in the tougher league, the odds have been adjusted accordingly.
                  Last edited by savage1; 07-31-2008, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Tampa Bay doesn't have the pitching.

After Kazmir, does anyone else on their roster really scare you?

Comment

Tampa Bay doesn't have the pitching.

After Kazmir, does anyone else on their roster really scare you?
                      They are in first place in arguably the toughest division in baseball-that says something!

Comment

The post season is a whole new animal than the regular season.

Comment

Sure it is, but does that mean that Tampa should be dismissed?
                          I mean pitchers other than Kazmir must have pitched well at times, some batters must have come through with clutch hits, and some players must have made great plays(I know it is only one game but I was extremely impressed with their defense in the game I saw in Tampa between the Sox and Tampa).
                          I think if they didn't have to possibly get by the likes of the Angels, Yankees, they should be favored to win at all.
                          I know that you believe Interleague play doesn't mean much, but if I am not mistaken, they did sweep the Cubs in Tampa.
                          In my mind that has to be considered at least a little.
                          Also, I know Red Sox suck on the road but for Tampa to sweep them so far(6-0 in Tampa)says something about the caliber of this team(they did lose all of the games in Boston).
                          People poo pooed the Celtics in the finals against the Lakers and made them a big dog, and you know what happened.
                          I know some might disagree, but I believe Tampa has a very good young team and will be a team to reckon with in the upcoming years.

Comment

Originally posted by savage1
                            Wow-Angels are still +450.
                            Am going to plunk down a few hundred more at least on them.
                            Kbsooner-this should make you happy-Cubs are the FAVORITES at +415!
                            Red Sox and Yankees are at +500.
                            The fact that Milwaukee is at +765 while Tampa is at +765 indicates that Milwaukee has an easier path to get to WS than does Tampa which will probably have to get past Angels and/or Yankees and probably White Sox to get there.
                            In my mind Tampa Bay is far superior to Milwaukee in a relative sense, but because they play in the tougher league, the odds have been adjusted accordingly.
                            Not much difference between the AL East and the NL Central.

Comment

Strong pitching is a huge advantage in the post season. People said the same thing 2 seasons ago with the Tigers strong young pitching. IMO offense if more greatly influenced by post season pressure than pitching.

Rays pitching is4th in ERA, 2nd in opponent batting AVG, 1st in runner per 9 innings and opp. on base percentage.

They might not scare you but they're quietly scaring the rest of the league. Due to their pitching this team is a solid contender.

Comment

Not much difference between the AL East and the NL Central.
                                I don't agree, and feel it isn't even close.
                                The Cubs and possibily the Cards in my judgment are the only legitimate teams in that division.
                                Milwaukee has shown what they are made of the last three days(as have the Red Sox for that matter).
                                Want more-I am admittedly using my criterion that interleague play counts for something:
                                Lets take the teams in AL East against NL:
                                Tampa 12-6
                                New York 10-8
                                Boston 11-7
                                Baltimore 11-7
                                Toronto 8-10
                                Combined 52-38
                                Lets take a look at NL Central:
                                Cubs 6-9
                                Milwaukee 7-7
                                St. Louis 7-8
                                Reds 9-6
                                Houston 7-11
                                Pitsburgh 5-9
                                Combined 41-51
                                I haven't checked the records of the other NL Divisions, but come on to say that NL Central from top to bottom is equal overall to AL East doesn't make sense.
                                Last edited by savage1; 07-31-2008, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X