Tigers Offense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tigers Offense

Just kinda wanted to throw this out there and I know its still very early in the season but is the best hitting team of our lifetime? If Polanco and Sheffield come back healthy and hit anything near what they are capable of and Granderson now back.

I know there has to be a little homer in me involved in this post but just wondering what the board thinks of this offense and how they compare to anything they have seen in the last 50 years.

I have been following baseball for over 20 years and cant think of a lineup this potent from top to bottom ever.....a few that come to mind are the Indians of the late 90s with Lofton, Alomar, Belle, Thome, Manny, Fryman......that team has a roided Brian Giles and Sexson who couldnt even sniff the field.

Yanks this decade also come close but I still dont think they come close to what the Tigers have....just to put things in perspective the biggest liability in the Tigers everyday lineup when healthy might be Jaque Jones who in my opinion is an avg to above average hitter....just wanted to get everyones opinion on this.

Pitching is this teams achilles heal and I doubt they can win a title with their pitching unless Verlander and Bonderman pitch like the Tigers envisioned and they get back solid performances in the pen from Zumaya and Rodney if they get back healthy.....again I am not saying this is the best team because I dont think they are unless they pitch but the offense is a site to behold in of itself

PEACE

They are definately heating up the last 5 -6 games or so

Solid lineup

granderson is a key component

Comment

Yankees have put up some huge offensive numbers. And they won 125 games in 1998 but that was with some amazing pitching so Im not so sure they put up completely overwhelming offensive stats.

1931 Yankees scored most runs of all time. 1067. Less games. I know its a long time ago but looking strictly at the numbers, Detroit has a ways to go.

1999 Indians also put up a ton of runs. Over 1000 I think.
      "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it." George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GOLDENGREEK
        They are definately heating up the last 5 -6 games or so

Solid lineup

granderson is a key component
        Yankees, Red Sox, Indians, D Backs and a few others have solid lineups......I think this Tigers lineup is historic

PEACE

Comment

Didnt notice you said, our lifetime. My bad on that 1931 Yankees comment.
          "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it." George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by MtrCtyPimp
            Yankees, Red Sox, Indians, D Backs and a few others have solid lineups......I think this Tigers lineup is historic

PEACE
            No mention of the Phillies lineup? When healthy, I think it's better than any of these teams you mentioned.

Comment

PEACE
              Cant call it that on April 24 Pimp. Guys get hurt. Guys have off years. Way way too early. Does it have potential to be a historic lineup? IMO and yours apparently, sure. But not yet. Potential is the key term.

Comment

Originally posted by LVJimmy
                No mention of the Phillies lineup? When healthy, I think it's better than any of these teams you mentioned.
                Are you serious???????

Comment

Originally posted by 3ebRocks
                  Yankees have put up some huge offensive numbers. And they won 125 games in 1998 but that was with some amazing pitching so Im not so sure they put up completely overwhelming offensive stats.

1931 Yankees scored most runs of all time. 1067. Less games. I know its a long time ago but looking strictly at the numbers, Detroit has a ways to go.

1999 Indians also put up a ton of runs. Over 1000 I think.
                  Yah I wont even get into the Yankees of old beacuse first I never saw them and second its pretty much accepted as the greatest offense ever.....I just wanted to talk about the last 20 years really and where people think this lineup stands.

Again I know its April 24 but thats what makes this thread interesting as we can all prognosticate now instead of knowing what we have in 3 months.

This team isnt healthy offensively, thats what sick

PEACE

Comment

Comment

No doubt Jimmy..sorry to leave them out.....with Rollins and Victorino setting the table for the greatest hitter thus far in Utley and the 2 huge sluggers in Howard and Burrell defintely is a top lineup

PEACE

Comment

Are you serious???????
                        I think he was talking about the Yanks, Red Sox, Tribe etc from this year and I would agree with him Phillies are just as good as those teams when healthy

PEACE

Comment

Yah I wont even get into the Yankees of old beacuse first I never saw them and second its pretty much accepted as the greatest offense ever.....I just wanted to talk about the last 20 years really and where people think this lineup stands.

Again I know its April 24 but thats what makes this thread interesting as we can all prognosticate now instead of knowing what we have in 3 months.

This team isnt healthy offensively, thats what sick

PEACE
                          This past week has been has been ultra impressive, I will say that. After doing nothing the first week, they have already made up for that and then some, numbers wise. Granderson is the key to that lineup, like so many leadoff hitters, the offense tends to go how he goes. Of course with Detroit they have 3 or 4 hitters who would be the best hitter on 90% of major league teams. But we all got to see how that offense functioned to start the season when he was hurt so there is something to be said for a top flight leadoff man even with a stellar lineup following him.

Comment

Are you serious???????
                            Actually, yea, I am serious...Utley is the best hitter in baseball, Rollins is the returning MVP, Burrell, well, look at his stats so far...I know Howard is struggling and sucks right now, but hopefully he comes around...that is 4 potential MVPs in one lineup...haven't even mentioned Vic or Werth...so again, how was that a bad statement?

Comment

I think he was talking about the Yanks, Red Sox, Tribe etc from this year and I would agree with him Phillies are just as good as those teams when healthy

PEACE
                              Exactly my pt

Comment

Working...
                              X