Report: McNabb says black QBs under more pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: McNabb says black QBs under more pressure

African-American quarterbacks face more pressure and more criticism than their white counterparts, Philadelphia Eagles QB Donovan McNabb says in an interview scheduled to air on HBO on Tuesday night.

McNabb, in an interview on "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel," tells interviewer James Brown that African-American quarterbacks such as himself face added pressure because there are fewer black QBs -- and because some still don't want black athletes playing the position.

"There's not that many African-American quarterbacks, so we have to do a little bit extra," McNabb tells HBO. "Because the percentage of us playing this position, which people didn't want us to play ... is low, so we do a little extra."

Later in the interview, Brown presses McNabb on criticism of his performance -- and if African-American QBs are graded more harshly.

"I pass for 300 yards, our team wins by seven, [mimicking] 'Ah, he could've made this throw, they would have scored if he did this,' " McNabb tells HBO.

"Doesn't every quarterback go through that?" Brown asks.

"Not everybody," McNabb replies.

Brown then asks if the media is tougher on him than on white quarterbacks such as Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning.

"Let me start by saying I love those guys," McNabb tells HBO. "But they don't get criticized as much as we do. They don't."

In the interview, McNabb also talks to Brown about playing in Philadelphia, a city known for passionate sports fans who aren't afraid to criticize the city's pro athletes.

"Every year I'm part of some criticism," McNabb tells HBO. "But every day that we go through life, you're faced with a lot of adversity. Now the answer is how do you handle the adversity. How do you respond?

"I try to handle myself with class. I try to handle myself with dignity. I think sometimes people look to players to act out, speak loudly, pretty much be an idiot. But that's not me."

Originally posted by frankb03
    Brown then asks if the media is tougher on him than on white quarterbacks such as Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning.

"Let me start by saying I love those guys," McNabb tells HBO. "But they don't get criticized as much as we do. They don't."
    EXCUSES! EXCUSES!

There's plenty of white QBs that face much criticism. Ask Joey Harrington. Ask Eli. Even Favre. He's faces lots of criticism the past few years.

Comment

This kind of talk is ludicrous ...

So tired of hearing these excuses ... this is 2007 ...

either you are good at what you do or you are not ... Period ...

Good Post Frank ...

Comment

Originally posted by Spark
        This kind of talk is ludicrous ...

So tired of hearing these excuses ... this is 2007 ...

either you are good at what you do or you are not ... Period ...

Good Post Frank ...
        Has any QB taken more criticism the past two season than Grossman?

Comment

Double Standards...I've talked at length about this hipocracy the rest of America is held hostage by on a daily basis!

You want examples- United Negro College Fund, BET, black colleges (Praire View A&M, Grambling, etc..)
          5* 0-0
          4* 0-0
          3* 1-0
          2* 1-0
          1* 0-1

God Bless America

To win :1* unit = $100

Comment

Bullshit
            Questions, comments, complaints:
            [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by bwade210
              You want examples- United Negro College Fund, BET, black colleges (Praire View A&M, Grambling, etc..)
              WHAT?

You mean the whites don't have WET (white entertainment TV). I thought WAC conference was White Athletic Conference. lol

Comment

donovan: u SUCK. plain and simple. u SUCK, u can never get it done when it counts, and make more excuses than a woman. u PUKED and got TIRED in the huddle in the biggest game of your life. u will NEVER win a superbowl, i would bet my life savings on it.

quit making excuses and whining about being a black quarterback. its 2007 for chrissakes. u are a piece of garbage.

i'm done. thanks.

Comment

my buddy asked if i was worried about my under last night when the eagles were driving. i laughed.

Comment

hey jackass- you get 'criticized' because you stink, and have none of the intangibles it takes to win. did you watch your performance last night? YOU STINK!

Comment

EXCUSES! EXCUSES!

There's plenty of white QBs that face much criticism. Ask Joey Harrington. Ask Eli. Even Favre. He's faces lots of criticism the past few years.
                      This just proves to me that the media is fair in their criticism of both white and black athletes, esp. if both are complaining that they are unfairly targeted. You have a black man claiming the 'liberal media' is bias in their criticism of black athletes. And then you have many white people claiming white athletes are criticised just as much as any black athlete.

Bottom line. If you are not performing to the standards set for a winning program, you will face criticism from the media regardless of your color.

KAZ
                      [email protected]

I'm just here so I won't get fined....

Comment

Originally posted by KazDog
                        This just proves to me that the media is fair in their criticism of both white and black athletes, esp. if both are complaining that they are unfairly targeted. You have a black man claiming the 'liberal media' is bias in their criticism of black athletes. And then you have many white people claiming white athletes are criticised just as much as any black athlete.

Bottom line. If you are not performing to the standards set for a winning program, you will face criticism from the media regardless of your color.

KAZ
                        yAHOOOOOOO
                        Questions, comments, complaints:
                        [email protected]

Comment

Has any QB taken more criticism the past two season than Grossman?
                          perfect example .. First thing that came into my mind ... But I do not want to sound like a homer ...

Comment

Hey Donovan, get your head out of your ass? Peyton Manning didn't receive a smuch criticism prior to winning a SB? He needs to shut his trap and play better!

Funny this should come out after he played like a B.O.T. (Bag O' Trash) last night!
                            Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

getting tired of hearing about all the racist bs also

Comment

Working...
                              X