No announcement yet.

Baaaaarry!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it went purely by stats, Bonds would still be there.

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218
      DING!

Do i like the guy? Not really ... but he still amazs me.

With or without steroids, what he has done is beyond belief to me. Many others were on the juice too and nobody has put the fear in opposing pitchers like this guy has for the last several years. I don't care how steroids help you, you still need to put the sweet part of the bat on the ball and he has been the best at it. I've never seen hitters intentionally walked to load the bases with less than 2 outs and i've never seen an eye at the plate either like Bonds. His records for walks are amazing in itself and after watching alot of this guy it seemed like he never took a swing at a bad pitch ... ever. It was unreal to see this guy swing at nothing but strikes and it is what made every pitcher fear him cuz when he swung, it usually meant trouble.

Who knows how many pitchers that he hit HR's off were on steroids? You know a shitload were along with the hitters. Brady Anderson? lmao

I really don't like the guy based on one thing mainly and that is the arrogance he has shown throughout his career. That doesn't mean i don't love watching the guy hit though.

You have had dead ball era's where the pitching was off the chart and live ball era's with the "Juiced" balls and tiny parks. Who knows what else surrounded each era and the reasoning behind it. I don't agree with the steroids at all but at least these guys are finally getting somewhat tested and many have fallen prey. Yes, i no doubt think Bonds was on Steroids but i could list 100 other great/good players who i have my doubts about too and i'm sure there are at least 100 other names that i never would have guessed who used them too.

All i know is you could give me and about 99.99% of the rest of the world steroids for breakfast, lunch and dinner and we still won't be able to do what this guy has done.
      Well said, I couldn't agree more.

Comment

I hated the guy...BUT, I and all fans cannot deny what he has done. I have actually found myself pulling for Bonds a little...of course I expect him to do or say something in the near future to make me hate him again.
        $100/unit

They are all booger eaters!!!

Comment

In A Word On Bond " Dickhead "
          jt4545

Fat Tuesday's - Home

Comment

gotta weigh in on this...... OK I straight up don't like the guy for the exact reason you don't like him. He is flat out an arogant selfish jerk. I guess I will give you the fact that he still hits em anywhere he goes, But I am certain that big vladdy daddy out there in anaheim has been walked intentionally with less than 2 outs, and I'm pretty sure someone did it to ryan howard last year as well. Bottom line is let the guy enjoy his last all star game in his home park, let him break the record that most people won't acknowledge anyway, and hopefully he will be gone after this year. Then baseball fans can talk about baseball without mentioning you know who.

Comment

i cant wait til barry breaks the record
              2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

NOBODY has been walked like Bonds has in certain situations. Listen to the t.v. and look at the numbers. It is staggering how often they would rather put him on base than let him hit.

Comment

There is a statistic in sabermetrics known as "WPA" or win probability added. It measures the number of wins that a player adds or subtracts from his team's record based on clutch hits, creating runs, etc. Bonds leads all of MLB right now with a 3.96 WPA, meaning that the Giants have won 4 games that they would have otherwise lost without Bonds. I can't stand the guy, but even today off the 'roids he's one of the best in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by MR Pain
                    gotta weigh in on this...... OK I straight up don't like the guy for the exact reason you don't like him. He is flat out an arogant selfish jerk. I guess I will give you the fact that he still hits em anywhere he goes, But I am certain that big vladdy daddy out there in anaheim has been walked intentionally with less than 2 outs, and I'm pretty sure someone did it to ryan howard last year as well. Bottom line is let the guy enjoy his last all star game in his home park, let him break the record that most people won't acknowledge anyway, and hopefully he will be gone after this year. Then baseball fans can talk about baseball without mentioning you know who.
                    I understand how some people think he is an arrogant jerk, but I could care less what he is like outside the game. But please do not bring up Vlad and Ron Howard when you are talking about being walked. Barry has the record of both walks and intentional walks in the history of the game. Imagine what could have happened if he would have been pitched to. Being from Pittsburgh, I should have reasons not to like the guy, but I respect his game and still think he is the most feared hitter in the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by ctt8410
                      There is a statistic in sabermetrics known as "WPA" or win probability added. It measures the number of wins that a player adds or subtracts from his team's record based on clutch hits, creating runs, etc. Bonds leads all of MLB right now with a 3.96 WPA, meaning that the Giants have won 4 games that they would have otherwise lost without Bonds. I can't stand the guy, but even today off the 'roids he's one of the best in the game.
                      Good Stuff!

Arguing his numbers or the fear he puts in to opposing pitchers is useless cuz he is heads & shoulders above the rest. Whether or not you like the guy is a totally different debate that i feel blurs alot of opinions on what he has done.

Comment

• that is not what you said

NOBODY has been walked like Bonds has in certain situations. Listen to the t.v. and look at the numbers. It is staggering how often they would rather put him on base than let him hit.
                        I agree he has been walked way more than anyone ever, but that is not what you said, you said you have never seen anyone walked to load the bases with less than 1 out. Well I have, Vladdy last year, that is my only point, that it has happened before.

Comment

• read carefully

Originally posted by MAXX11
                          I understand how some people think he is an arrogant jerk, but I could care less what he is like outside the game. But please do not bring up Vlad and Ron Howard when you are talking about being walked. Barry has the record of both walks and intentional walks in the history of the game. Imagine what could have happened if he would have been pitched to. Being from Pittsburgh, I should have reasons not to like the guy, but I respect his game and still think he is the most feared hitter in the game.
                          Well first off his name is Ryan Howard, and the only reason I brought up those names is because, it was originally stated by wayne that he had never seen anyone walked to load the bases with less than 2 outs. I was simply saying that I have seen that done before with Vlad and Howard. You talk about records for being walked, isn't barry like 42 years old. He has had a long time to gather that record, it's not like we are talking about someone that has 5 or 10 years left in him. Again I will say it yes he's the best, he's the best on his team, and soon to be the best home run hitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by MR Pain
                            I agree he has been walked way more than anyone ever, but that is not what you said, you said you have never seen anyone walked to load the bases with less than 1 out. Well I have, Vladdy last year, that is my only point, that it has happened before.
                            Yes, i didn't say the only guy in history to have it happen to. I said it's common place for these things to happen to Bonds on a daily or weekly basis.

You see it in every series they play in and you have for a good 5-7 years now when the opposing managers going in come right out and say they won't pitch to him.

He's like 60 years old and he is still the ONLY guy in baseball with an on base percentage over .500

That is crazy and it means he gets on base better than 1 out of every 2 times. If the bases were loaded and there were 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th, there would be no better player in history to have up to bat than Bonds. He won't swing at a ball and the pitcher is scared to throw a strike. I've never seen a player close to that in my lifetime.
                            Last edited by wayne1218; 07-04-2007, 09:23 PM.

Comment

• wpa

Originally posted by ctt8410
                              you can keep all that sabermetrics crap in your pocket. If you were pitching against the san francisco giants and you could walk bonds to face, pedro feliz, randy winn, fred lewis, even the best hitter not named bonds omar vizquel, you would do it every time, and so would I. If the giants were good and had any chance then the 4 games would be huge but I bet most teams in the NL would give them those 4 games and they still wouldn't be close to the playoffs.

Comment

• history ?

Yes, i didn't say the only guy in history to have it happen to. I said it's common place for these things to happen to Bonds on a daily or weekly basis.

You see it in every series they play in and you have for a good 5-7 years now when the opposing managers going in come right out and say they won't pitch to him.

He's like 60 years old and he is still the ONLY guy in baseball with an on base percentage over .500

That is crazy and it means he gets on base better than 1 out of every 2 times. If the bases were loaded and there were 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th, there would be no better player in history to have up to bat than Bonds. He won't swing at a ball and the pitcher is scared to throw a strike. I've never seen a player close to that in my lifetime.
                                OK this is going too far, in history, you would have bonds at the plate. That is crazy. Have you ever looked at his playoff numbers, and oh yea didn't he have a chance to beat the angels in the world series. What happened in that one ! The guy is a great hitter but bottom of the 9th with 2 outs I'm going to send Ted Williams to the plate, you said History, right? I would even take Tony Gwynn over barry.

Comment

Working...
                                X