This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Dakota fund raiser

A North Dakota youth hockey league with players as young as 4 years old is raffling off guns to raise money.

The West Fargo Hockey Association is offering 200 firearms, some of which have been scarce in the area, KVLY/Valley News Live reported.

Association President Cal Helgeson told KVLY the funds would help league teams get the time they need inside ice rinks this season.

"With our 20 percent increase in association members this year, we have a big need for ice," Helgeson said, per KVLY.

Gun raffles are not uncommon in North Dakota. The Bismarck Hockey Boosters recently sold tickets for one.

But now that a national debate rages over gun control in the wake of the mass shooting in Newtown, Conn. in December, the West Fargo fundraiser is "going to raise eyebrows," West Fargo Mayor Rich Mattern told The Huffington Post on Tuesday.

"The timing is a little awkward," he said. "I think that's a fair statement to say, given the discussion going on around the country."

Mattern said the city approved the raffle in an admitted rubber-stamp but does not have jurisdiction over the league.

Raffle organizer Mike Prochnow explained to radio station KFGO in Fargo, N.D., that the raffle was planned back in August, well before the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown. Tickets are selling well so far, the station wrote, adding that three of the prizes are Rock River AR-15 assault weapons. The rifles are similar to the Bushmaster AR-15 used in the Sandy Hook attack that killed 20 children, according to Newsday.

HuffPost left messages with league official Helgeson requesting comment but did not immediately hear back.

Tickets are $40, and the drawing is scheduled for March 15 at a banquet, according to the West Fargo Hockey Association's website. A local gun dealer, Fargo Scheels All Sports, is handling the transactions.

Comment

• Bought a ticket this morning

Comment

• NoDak!

Comment

• Originally posted by ToDaClub View Post
          Bought a ticket this morning

I'm in .... going to visit Spark and I need a heater !!

Comment

• ToDaClub - Did you survive the cold last night...It's colder than a witches titty down here...-6 Temp and -29 windchill

I actually thought it was gonna be colder when I got up...so this aint to bad.
            It's always noon somewhere!

My Fish and Aquariums

Griffey's Posted Record

Comment

• Not gonna get above zero today here

My Fish and Aquariums

Griffey's Posted Record

Comment

• -11 right now with 35-40 mph winds. You can't be outside for more than 30 seconds grif. Frickin brutal!!!

Morning all

Comment

• Originally posted by Ldawg View Post

I'm in .... going to visit Spark and I need a heater !!
                  $ 40.00 a ticket, I'll get you 10 tickets. If your headed to Chicago, you'll need em!
                  Last edited by ToDaClub; 01-31-2013, 09:14 AM.

Comment

• Good to see you nate. How is the family doing?
                    2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

• Originally posted by 10DimeBry View Post
                      Good to see you nate. How is the family doing?
                      Great...Devin is about to start driving

2 girls Mariah and Nadia are doing awesome...although Nadia just had her first ear infection. I couldn't even tell cause she was still so damn happy.

They take up so much of our time but it's so rewarding. People that don't have children have no idea what they are missing.

How's you and yours Bryan?

My Fish and Aquariums

Griffey's Posted Record

Comment

• Everyone here is great. Carly is 2 now and gets into everything. Avery is almost a month old and is eating and sleeping well so far. Knock on wood.

Being a parent is the best. Drains u but its so worth it.
                        2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

• Originally posted by 10DimeBry View Post
                          Everyone here is great. Carly is 2 now and gets into everything. Avery is almost a month old and is eating and sleeping well so far. Knock on wood.

Being a parent is the best. Drains u but its so worth it.
                          Our kids are the same age...Mariah is 2 1/2 now and Nadia is 5 months.

Just got to keep giving Mariah things to do...puzzles...playdough...books...dolls...Dora... got to keep her busy or she gets into shit she shouldn't too.

My Fish and Aquariums

Griffey's Posted Record

Comment

• Morning boys! Nice Bears avatar Club

Got their ass spanked last night

Comment

• Originally posted by kbsooner21 View Post
                              Morning boys! Nice Bears avatar Club

Got their ass spanked last night
                              Spanked?????? Really, I must have seen a different score

Comment

• For JC

Hashtag #CheekyBottoms : theCHIVE

My Fish and Aquariums

Griffey's Posted Record

Comment

Working...
                                X