Question about officials for you guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kaptain View Post
    Vols.....I agree............there should be an age cut off......not all people keep reflexes as tight, or near as tight, once they attain 55 years of age......

I umpired Hi School and College BaseBall for 30 years.....the last game [I] did, was a Hi School class 6A championship game, and I realized I wasn't as keen/sharp/accurate in my decisions, I also noticed my vision wasn't up to par, and my reflexes damn sure weren't.......

not to mention, the hurt my body had after squatting behind the plate, in 100 degree heat, for 7 full innings.....

When behind the plate, a Home Plate Umpire has to be ablew to get away from the catcher as to not impede him getting a jump on a pop up.....

Due to my declining reflexes, I found myself bumping into em, on sevweral ocassions......

Was time for me to retire....Thus I did......

Should be AN Age cut off, but then again, that's not fair to some guys in their late 50's early 60's, that are in great shape...

There should be an age limit, and most importantly, a required field exercise/drill to qualify physicaly.....Make standards for

Hi School
    College
    Pros.........

IMO
    I am 50 and have been umpiring and refereeing since I was 19. I have worked many high school and college baseball and also have done many high school basketball games.

I still umpire high school baseball, but I had to give up high school basketball. I "retired" last year when I realized that my buff chest I had at 19 was now by my belt and I realized I couldn't keep up with the high school running. The athletes are just to big and fast for me now. I still work rec games, which is 12-14 yr olds on down, but thats all I can keep up with.

I haven't reached the stage yet to give up baseball because I still love the game and I have gone back to working out so that I can lose a little of what "chest is by my belt". When I reach the stage where I feel I can't give the players the game they deserve, I will quit.

I also run an umpires association. We get paid well. The problem with getting "young bucks" to learn and work the games is the fact that they don't want to put up with the bullshit from parents and ignorant coaches.

To officiate college ball, which I did years ago, you have to have proper training, which means starting at the rec ball and high school level. Even though we get paid well, younger guys don't want to do it because of the abuse that is given out by parents and coaches who "think" they know the rules.

This hurts getting younger blood at the college level and that is why some of us "old, fat, farts" still have to work. You would be shocked at the number of "old" guys who are begged to work because we need bodies out there. It is a trickle effect.

Some guys should not be out there and some of them know that - some don't. But, the ones that know it are begged not to quit because there is no one competent to replace them. Baseball is the worst because of the abuse.
    It sucks but its true.
    I could give a baseball test here or anywhere to the so called "experts" and I promise that if no one cheated and used a rule book (you shouldn't need it if you know so much), 60% or more would fail.

There are guys that should not be there because of age but there are not many knocking down the door to take their place.
    dave
    jc Wishes He Can Get A Goat

Comment

Originally posted by insidethe8thpol View Post
      I remember when I was umpiring in the Mount Vernon League when a bang bang play at first brought out the manager. We went face to face when all of a sudden, his teeth came out !! It was the first time that everyone knew George Washington had wooden teeth

signed,

Spark
      Some how I knew Spark would be brought up

Comment

Originally posted by baseballdave View Post
        This hurts getting younger blood at the college level and that is why some of us "old, fat, farts" still have to work. You would be shocked at the number of "old" guys who are begged to work because we need bodies out there. It is a trickle effect.
        This is probably very true Dave.My brother Tech has been doing it for probably 10 years now in rec and high school and it does get hard to find bodies.Hell my first year doing it,by the end of the season I was able to put the white hat on and was doing high school on Friday nights.i played football my whole life and knew alot about the game but that don't mean it was easy.I ain't seen a new guy yet not blow there whistle while throwing a flag during a play in there first game And most of the time it's young guys that do it but on the level of Div I and NFL somethings got to give IMO

Comment

Originally posted by vols fan View Post
          By the way just in the last week,Bobby Petrino,Lane Kiffin,Dan Mullen(Miss St) have all been reprimanded by the SEC for comments made on officials.You would think they would start listening
          It's a joke in any sport for an owner, coach or player to be fined or suspended for criticizing the officiating. Every team and player is scrutinized. Umps and refs should be held to the same standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaptain View Post
            Should be AN Age cut off, but then again, that's not fair to some guys in their late 50's early 60's, that are in great shape...
            IMO
            50s doubtful. They should be required to pass a rigorous physical fitness exam.

60s forget it!

50 and 60 year old men cannot keep up with superior athletes in the 20s and 30s.

Comment

Originally posted by frankb03 View Post
              It's a joke in any sport for an owner, coach or player to be fined or suspended for criticizing the officiating. Every team and player is scrutinized. Umps and refs should be held to the same standard.

i agree any hoops tonight buddy
              MLB 2012***100-98 +$215 OR +2.15 UNITS
              HUGE PLAYS 2-1

NFL 2011-2012** 6-10
              0-0TOP PLAYS

NCAA FBL 2011-2012**** 26-23

4-1 TOP PLAYS

GOY 33-12 ALL SPORTS

AS of 6/3/12

Comment

Originally posted by tech fan View Post
                i agree any hoops tonight buddy
                Frank posted already Jerry ...

Hey, where has your brother been???

Comment

Originally posted by insidethe8thpol View Post
                  I remember when I was umpiring in the Mount Vernon League when a bang bang play at first brought out the manager. We went face to face when all of a sudden, his teeth came out !! It was the first time that everyone knew George Washington had wooden teeth

signed,

Spark

Oh yeah ... I remember it like it was only 80 years ago ...

Comment

Working...
                  X