Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cubs

Comment

Omar's biggest downfall, frankly, is that he is just not a smart guy...and I mean in an IQ type sense. So when he has this press conferences like he did yesterday, he starts rambling, gets himself in trouble, and then the 'street' in him comes out. After yesterday's fiasco, he needs to go imo.

I agree with Mavs...they got within 1 game of a WS in '06 (which, given their budget, is not good enough) and choked in '07 and '08. I blame the last 2 yrs on the Manager as they were good enough for 150 games. This, in my mind, was the deciding year on Omar and it was sabotaged with injuries. No team could overcome what they have gone through but they needed to find a way and they didn't...and it shows how depleted the farm system is. But yesterday's press confrence was an embarrassment and he needs to get canned.

Like every GM he has done some great things and some awful things. Unlike Savage, and anyone that follows the Mets regularly will tell you the same, the Pedro signing was huge for them even if it didn't work out on the field...it gave the organization a legitamacy that it did not have prior to him and, without him, their would be no Beltran, Delgado and probably Santana. It put fans back in the seats and created a buzz...it was well worth the risk and paid off for the organization.

$40 million comes off the payroll the end of this year and with the Wilpon's fleeced by Madoff, I would be surprised if they were in the top 5 in payroll next year.
      Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

I dont know about the rest of ya but Im getting the feeling that Savage really likes Theo Epstein and the boston brass...

Comment

Originally posted by ogarza View Post
          I dont know about the rest of ya but Im getting the feeling that Savage really likes Theo Epstein and the boston brass...
          He likes more than the brass all right

Comment

Originally posted by Three Jack View Post
            Omar's biggest downfall, frankly, is that he is just not a smart guy...and I mean in an IQ type sense. So when he has this press conferences like he did yesterday, he starts rambling, gets himself in trouble, and then the 'street' in him comes out. After yesterday's fiasco, he needs to go imo.

I agree with Mavs...they got within 1 game of a WS in '06 (which, given their budget, is not good enough) and choked in '07 and '08. I blame the last 2 yrs on the Manager as they were good enough for 150 games. This, in my mind, was the deciding year on Omar and it was sabotaged with injuries. No team could overcome what they have gone through but they needed to find a way and they didn't...and it shows how depleted the farm system is. But yesterday's press confrence was an embarrassment and he needs to get canned.

Like every GM he has done some great things and some awful things. Unlike Savage, and anyone that follows the Mets regularly will tell you the same, the Pedro signing was huge for them even if it didn't work out on the field...it gave the organization a legitamacy that it did not have prior to him and, without him, their would be no Beltran, Delgado and probably Santana. It put fans back in the seats and created a buzz...it was well worth the risk and paid off for the organization.

$40 million comes off the payroll the end of this year and with the Wilpon's fleeced by Madoff, I would be surprised if they were in the top 5 in payroll next year.
            Signing Pedro was a great move for putting fans in the ballpark, which is the bottom line, I will give you that.
            On the other hand I give at least equal credit for having the correct sense that he was not worth what he ulimately received all things considered.
            By my way of thinking a lot of being a great GM is not just having a lot of money to throw around and spending it on the players who command the most;it is more of a inborn and intuitive sense of who to get and who will best fit in and blend together to make a baseball team successful and of course who to hire as a manager to help effect this.
            I would venture to say that there are some GM's out there with limited payrolls who if allowed the amount of payroll of the Yankees, Sox, Mets etc. who would do an equally if not better job than these guys and yes this does include Theo, as good as I think he is.

Comment

Originally posted by Three Jack View Post

Rubin wanted to fight Maniya on the spot last night. Did you see the video of the press conference? Rubin called what he said "despicable." It was the greatest press conference I've ever watched.
              "CFB YTD: 5-8-1 -16.2"

Comment

In post 35 I meant to say "equal credit to the Sox, etc.

Comment

Working...
                X