• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stocks I like

Here are a list of my recent purchases and prices:

NGEN- 1/4 position @ 11.45

NT- 1/2 position @ 6.25

HLSH- 1/2 position @ 5 ish (not 100% on ave)

Watching-

IVAN
    HLIT
    SONS
    CHTR
    VTSS
    BCON
    MRVC
    FIBR
    EAH
    CLN

Feel free to add your stocks!

Wallstreet, would like your opinion on WRLS. Bought a couple of weeks ago at 10.50 or so and it has gone up every day since. Some say it will be up in the $20 area very soon. Thanks for any info you can pass on.

Comment

WRLS

I would hold and use a reasonable stop. They got great press yesterday and were compared to AWE? I forget what stock that had earnings, but the CNBS losers were saying that WRLS is taking market share.

Be careful since they have earnings soon and you never know what can happen.

I think you have a healthy gain, and I would not add at this level.

Congrats and nice job!!!

Comment

Thank you for your response, wallstreet! Only bought 100 shares, so not going to lose much or get rich on it, but it's fun to win one once in a while. Thanks again.

Comment

Wallstreet

Your watch list. Thanks

HLSH, little Enron there? Lots of attorney fees coming. But they are still adding floors in Birmingham. Almost bought today, maybe tommorow knowing your on board.

AVN (Avanir Pharm.) Take a look. Someone is buying the hell out of this stock. Harvard grads? Maybe, add to your watch list.

WRLS, up 16 (17) days in a row, another 16 days on the horison.
          I know it's unheard of and speculation but that's what I was told.
          Plus good news in Feb. I'm in at 8.28 and again at 11.50, sell limit at 10.25 and riding.

Congrats, we have a stock forum.
          Thanks Xx
          "I use to be indecisive - Now I just don't know"

Comment

Xx,

I have WRLS on my list, and if I am not mistaken, didnt they have earnings today? Looks good and I know others here also like it. I think they are good on a pullback, the stock is semi extended here and I try not and buy too many extended stocks if I dont have to.

I am inquiring about some Adelphia, they are going to come out of BK and I am trying to see if some of their preferreds will continue trading even if the common goes bye bye..I will let everyone know if I find that out and if I buy. The preferreds are trading at about 5 bucks or so.

I think that HLSH will come out of this quandry, and there is no Q here, so the common stays put. And if they get the E out of there and get relisted, the stock could be a triple from these levels. I bot more today on the dip, I didnt get it at the lows, it is hard to play this stock since I cant find a true bid/ask and I cant see a level II on it..so I overpayed a tiny bit yesterday, but now my average is about 5 bucks..right there..and I have a 1/2 position.

For a company doing the kind of revenue numbers they are, when the cloud is lifted they could be a really big winner. I am playing this lightly though, no larger than any other position I have or want to have.

Lets make some money here, I expect good things from everyone and hope we get a trading forum hopping.

Comment

Wallstreet, what do you think about
              Air Trans Holdings (AAII)

I bought 200 shares at $12.00
              It is one of 2 airline stocks making any money.

Comment

Pete,

Man you have a nice hit on this one, I would consider this one a mini home run! That is Atlantic Air, right? Werent they in merger talks with someone there?

I like the airlines, sat on my hands when AMR was down at a buck and when Delta was like 6 or so..it is a really choppy sector, if you get the feel for it take your basis off the table at the price level where you have a double..so say at 24 or so..use that as a stop..that gives you plenty of leg room and first class service, then let the rest ride as it is the houses money you are playing with.

I would buy the good names on dips..so if DAL gets whacked or LUV etc, buy on weakness..if oil keeps ramping you could see airlines take it in the head..

GL and welcome to the thread!

Comment

wrong ticker symbol

Wallstreet, I gave you the wrong ticker symbol, sorry about that. It is (AAI)
                  Hit 1 letter to many on keyboard.

AIRTRAN HLDGS (NYSE:AAI) Quote data by Reuters

Last Trade: 13.77
                  Trade Time: 4:03PM ET
                  Change: 0.24 (1.77%)
                  Prev Close: 13.53
                  Open: 13.96
                  Bid: N/A
                  Ask: N/A
                  1y Target Est: 16.96

Day's Range: 13.60 - 14.25
                  52wk Range: 4.79 - 20.84
                  Volume: 2,056,000
                  Avg Vol (3m): 2,200,357
                  Market Cap: 1.16B
                  P/E (ttm): 11.11
                  EPS (ttm): 1.239
                  Div & Yield: N/A (N/A)

1d 5d 3m 6m 1y 2y 5y max

Comment

Pete,

Sorry about that.. And the one I was thinking about was ACAI, which is Atlantic Coast Airlines.

Isnt AAI a mid level airline? Meaning they shuttle around and have a smaller area they cover? Actually I looked up the market cap on the stock and it is 1.1B, which is smaller than LUV (a whopping 12B) but the same area as DAL at 1.5B

I like how it has a wider swing this year than Delta, high of 20 low of 5, wheras Delta is 6.5 to 16. They have earnings it looks like and out of most of the group (I looked at CAL, JBLU, AMR,DAL,LUV,ACAI,MESA) I would either go with AAI, MESA or CAL.

I would buy on weakness though and set your stop tightly, it looks like some scary waters are coming, the 50 day EMA is sloping INTO the 200 day EMA, and the stock is trapped in between the two. If the 200 day moving average fails it could be very very rough for the stock. If it bounces off the 200 and moves THROUGH the 50 day with some volume, then you have a nice chance to make some $$$$$

I would set that stop at 12.50 for trading, if not then you may let her go and just see what happens?

GL

Comment

walstreet

What do you think of rfmd? I own and held thru earnings, "mistake".... I just can't belive swks goes right by them...

Comment

JJO,

I do... I much prefer SKYW to RFMD. Even before earnings there were tons of people saying they were taking biz from RFM.. and if we get a tech pullback RFMD might be a stick in the mud for quite some time.

When a company has a bad report, usually they are in the dungeon for a few weeks. If you wanted to add to your position for basis, you may see lower prices to get even a lower basis.

I wouldnt run in and buy more just yet. Another thought is to take the money and put it where you might find better return..forget about the bad trade and try to make a better one.

Eventually you will be fine I imagine, especially if you lower the basis in the next little while.

I had to do that on HLIT..had to hold it over a year, lower my basis and I ended up making a nice return on it..

GL

Comment

Wallstreet/Savage

When I recently started posting I was with Amer.Express, not the place for short or day trade. Asked for broker recommendations and got the same answer I received at other sites, Ameritrade.
                          (Thanks to you, Savage and others, I added Ameritrade.) I now see others asking where they can open an account and see the same answer again, Ameritrade. Note: I continue to see this repeated daily. (Here and other sites and I assume thousands of others)
                          Not to compare this market to 1999 but the activity is hugh. More and more investors are changing percentages to stocks again.
                          Note: In 1999 Ameritrade was at mid teens where it is now $16.24. Then it soared to $55 and then $70 for a short. Of coarse if it got to high 40's I'd cash with a watchful eye. Check the charts and let me know what you think. (AMTD)
                          They reported on 1-20-04 and all good news. I see them picking up lots of new customers, lots of trading and tons of commish.
                          Thanks, Xx

Comment

XX,

My view on brokerages as shorts..right now the volumes are up, SCH just announced a few days ago that trading volumes were great and everything is good. If you wanted to short AMTD wait until you start seeing more bearish indicators in the market..many times as we know the little investor is the LAST out, and they are the ones pumping trades into AMTD, so more than likely we should see brokerages doing well the next few quarters..also add that they were smacked as you said almost from the year 2000, so one quarter of higher volumes to me does not mean it is "short time". I would wait until indicators say that the big guys are out and eventually it will trickle down to the little guys and to the online brokerages.

I think this year might be good for AMTD, and you know that they bot Datek, so they are a force to be reckoned with. I also wouldnt short ET anytime soon, they are emerging as more of a bank/lender than an online brokerage..getting diversified and shoring themselves up..if you were to short do it with AMTD or MHMY or NITE or a little brokerage..

GL

Comment

Wallstreet

AMTD

I should have reserched further before posting. Getting strong sell and you further that belief. Thanks

Watching tech from the sidelines for awhile. Energy and home builders have my attention.

Energy/Oil
                              OXY
                              TRP
                              ZMH
                              SU *
                              (always watching your BCON)

Home builders
                              DHI
                              CTX
                              LEN (Just split 2 for 1)
                              PHM

Still looking at your HLSH.
                              Cannot afford BRK.a
                              But I might but one share of BRK.b
                              Xx
                              Last edited by Xxout; 01-25-2004, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X