• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weis uses play from dying boy in Irish victory

Weis uses play from dying boy in Irish victory

By Tom Coyne
    The Associated Press
    Posted September 26 2005

SOUTH BEND, Ind. ยท Charlie Weis doesn't usually let anyone else call plays on offense. He made an exception for 10-year-old Montana Mazurkiewicz.

The Notre Dame coach met last week with the boy, who had been told by doctors weeks earlier that there was nothing more they could do to stop the spread of his inoperable brain tumor.

"He was a big Notre Dame fan in general, but football especially," said his mother, Cathy Mazurkiewicz.

Weis showed up at the Mazurkiewicz home in Mishawaka, just east of South Bend, and talked with Montana about his tumor and about Weis' 10-year-old daughter, Hannah, who has global development delay, a rare disorder similar to autism.

He told Montana about some pranks he played on Joe Montana -- whom Montana was named after -- while they were roommates at Notre Dame.

"I gave him a chance to ****** me on the Michigan State loss, which he did very well. He reminded me of my son," said Weis, whose son, Charlie Jr., is 12 years old.

Weis said the meeting was touching.

"He told me about his love for Notre Dame football and how he just wanted to make it through this game this week," Weis said. "He just wanted to be able to live through this game because he knew he wasn't going to live very much longer."

As Weis talked to the boy, Cathy Mazurkiewicz rubbed her son's shoulder trying to ease his pain.

Weis asked Montana if there was something he could do for him. He agreed to let Montana call the first play against Washington on Saturday. He called "pass right."

Montana never got to see the play. He died Friday.

Weis heard about the death and called Mazurkiewicz on Friday night to assure her he would still call Montana's play.

"He said, `This game is for Montana, and the play still stands,"' she said.

Weis said he told the team about the visit. He said it wasn't a "Win one for the Gipper" speech, because he doesn't believe in using individuals as inspiration. He just wanted the team to know people like Montana are out there.

"That they represent a lot of people that they don't even realize they're representing," Weis said.

When the Irish started on their own 1-yard-line following a fumble recovery, Mazurkiewicz wasn't sure Notre Dame would be able to throw a pass. Weis was concerned about that, too. So was quarterback Brady Quinn.

"He said what are we going to do?" Weis said. "I said we have no choice. We're throwing it to the right."

Weis called a play where most of the Irish went left, Quinn ran right and looked for tight end Anthony Fasano on the right.

Mazurkiewicz watched with her family.

"I just closed my eyes. I thought, `There's no way he's going to be able to make that pass. Not from where they're at. He's going to get sacked and Washington's going to get two points,"' she said.

Fasano caught the pass and leapt over a defender for a 13-yard gain.

"It's almost like Montana was willing him to beat that defender and take it to the house," Weis said.

Weis called her again after the game, a 36-17 victory by the 13th-ranked Fighting Irish, and said he had a game ball signed by the team that he wanted to bring to the family on Sunday.
    Remember the three R's:
    Respect for self; Respect for others; and Responsibility for all your actions.

Charlie Weis is a Class Act! How many coaches would go out of their way for someone like that and then to follow it up and call the parents! Unbelievable! Glad to know there are still people like that out there!

Comment

god i hate notre dame with a passion. but a story like this makes me want to root for weiss and the boys.
      its easy to grin when your ship comes in...

Comment

touching story

Comment

Way to go Charlie and ND! Nice move. I guess there is still some good people out there.
          It's always noon somewhere!

My Fish and Aquariums

Griffey's Posted Record

Comment

I read this at work earlier today! Never liked ND, but this is a GREAT STORY!!! And they used the "pass right" from their own 1 yard line cause weis promised the boy he would! WOW!!!

Comment

I"m a big golden domer fan, and I heard this on Mike and Mike this morning, and it makes me even more proud to be a fan.

You either love em or hate em, and rightfully so in some cases, but there is no grey area here.

Very classy move by Weis and the team.

Comment

Weis just made a little boy very happy. Way to go Charlie you will have a angel looking after you by the name of Montana. Life is so unfair sometimes a brave 10 year old boy has to hurt and suffer like this my prayers go to everyone who has a loved one with a terminal illness. I just dont feel right why do things like this have to happen I mean a kids a kid let them grow up and enjoy life.. I am sorry but this really bothers me when I read something like this. Every time I think how tough I have it I will remember that there are people besides me with alot bigger troubles..

Comment

Great story. It's been almost a year (Oct 17) since my infant son passed away and stories like this make my eyes water up. This site gives me something to look for to each day. It is a nice distraction watching and betting on sports when one could just sit around and feel sorry for themself. Thanks to my good friend Griffrey for recommending this site. Good luck to everyone tonite!
                  Good luck to all!!

Comment

I heard about this story this morning. Weis is a class guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Daniels
                      Great story. It's been almost a year (Oct 17) since my infant son passed away and stories like this make my eyes water up. This site gives me something to look for to each day. It is a nice distraction watching and betting on sports when one could just sit around and feel sorry for themself. Thanks to my good friend Griffrey for recommending this site. Good luck to everyone tonite!
                      Jack, my prayers are out to you. I have 3 children. I could never imagine what it would be like if anything happened to any of them.

GL

Comment

I read that today on msn, brought a tear to my eye. Not a dame fan but have a new respect for their head coach, he gets a A+ from me. We all need more stories about people doing good things, the media normally is to busy showing all the negative
                        Questions, comments, complaints:
                        [email protected]

Comment

They were talking about it on Mike and Mike

Comment

jack, just read your post, i have 3 and caring for my niece. cant imagine what it was like for you. thank you for sharing . have faith that God has a plan for us all, and in due time you will be with your child again. God bless you and your family
                            [email protected]

Comment

i know im running on with this. but after reading jacks post it made me feal really small. i was ranting on this site yesterday about the steelers suck and you should have heard me on saturday when my louisville cards got demolished. i need to shut hte fuck up and be grateful for the many blessings i have. jack you will be in my prayers tonite, thanks for helping some get things in perspective
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X