X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of Word 'Refugee' Stirs Debate

Some Say Term Implies Evacuees Are Second-Class Citizens
    By JOCELYN NOVECK, AP

NEW YORK (Sept. 6) - What do you call people who have been driven from their homes with only the clothes on their backs, unsure if they will ever be able to return, and forced to build a new life in a strange place?

News organizations are struggling for the right word.

Many, including The Associated Press, have used "refugee" to describe those displaced by the wrath of Hurricane Katrina.

But the choice has stirred anger among some readers and other critics, particularly in the black community. They have argued that "refugee" somehow implies that the displaced storm victims, many of whom are black, are second-class citizens - or not even Americans.

"It is racist to call American citizens refugees," the Rev. Jesse Jackson said, visiting the Houston Astrodome on Monday. Members of the Congressional Black Caucus have expressed similar sentiments.

Others have countered that the terms "evacuees" or even "displaced" are too clinical and not sufficiently dramatic to convey the dire situation that confronts many of Katrina's survivors.

President Bush, who has spent days trying to deflect criticism that he responded sluggishly to the disaster, weighed in on Tuesday. "The people we're talking about are not refugees," he said. "They are Americans and they need the help and love and compassion of our fellow citizens."

The 1951 U.N. Refugee Convention describes a refugee as someone who has fled across an international border to escape violence or persecution. But the Webster's New World Dictionary defines it more broadly as "a person who flees from home or country to seek refuge elsewhere, as in a time of war or of political or religious persecution."

The criticism has led several news organizations to ban the word in their Katrina coverage. Among them are The Washington Post, The Miami Herald and The Boston Globe.

"A number of people - from officials speaking publicly to colleagues here - said the term `refugees' appeared to imply that people displaced from New Orleans ... were other than Americans," Leonard Downie Jr., the Post's executive editor, wrote in an e-mail to his staff.

At the Herald, said executive editor Tom Fiedler, "it began to feel odd, describing people huddled in New Orleans' convention center as refugees. It felt inadequate to the situation. ... It wasn't as precise as `evacuees."'

And CNN has advised producers that "evacuee" is a better word, said spokeswoman Christa Robinson.

The AP and The New York Times are among those continuing to use the word where it is deemed appropriate.

"The AP is using the term `refugee' where appropriate to capture the sweep and scope of the effects of this historic natural disaster on a vast number of our citizens," said Executive Editor Kathleen Carroll. "Several hundred thousand people have been uprooted from their homes and communities and forced to seek refuge in more than 30 different states across America. Until such time as they are able to take up new lives in their new communities or return to their former homes, they will be refugees."

The Times was adhering to a similar policy.

"We have not banned the word `refugee,"' said spokeswoman Catherine Mathis. "We have used it along with `evacuee,' `survivor,' `displaced' and various other terms that fit what our reporters are seeing on the ground. Webster's defines a refugee as a person fleeing `home or country' in search of refuge, and it certainly does justice to the suffering legions driven from their homes by Katrina."

Columnist William Safire, who writes the weekly "On Language" column for The New York Times Magazine, said he did not see how the term "refugee" had any racial implications.

"A refugee can be a person of any race at all," he said. "A refugee is a person who seeks refuge."

He first suggested using the term "hurricane refugees." After thinking it over, though, he said he would probably simply use "flood victims," to avoid any political connotations that the word "refugee" may have taken on in the current debate.

09/06/05 22:41 EDT

what a fuckin joke. Who the fuck cares what they call them??? GOD i swear our country has gotten wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to PC
    2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

No Dime- I believe Americans have a sense of pride. Refugees are hammered on our news constantly- like who wants em. That is not the case here my friend. The term evacuees is more proper- because many were asked or demanded to evacuate the area.
      "The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice.

Comment

What does the "reverend" Jesse Jackson call the people that were looting and raping and shooting????

Didn't hear a peep out of his sorry racist ass then, did we?

Back in 1968, when the riots were ravaging the South Side of Chicago, the "reverend" Jesse Jackson would go into black owned businesses on Chicago's South Side and EXTORT money and goods from the same people he said he was protecting
        many of those mom & pop businesses were driven out of business by the "reverend's" practices.

What a fucking hipocrite, racist, self-serving, out-of-wedlock
        kid having, piece of shit, douchebag he is !!!

He can never just go and help, he instead has to go criticize
        and point the finger at everyone. Until these bleeding heart liberal reporters quit shoving a microphone under his nose every time he opens his mouth, we'll have to keep listening to and reading his bullshit...
        Last edited by VinnieB; 09-07-2005, 02:05 PM.
        See the World, Before You Leave It !!!

Comment

Originally posted by 10DimeBry
          what a fuckin joke. Who the fuck cares what they call them??? GOD i swear our country has gotten wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to PC

WELL SAID, THEY PROBABLY SHOULD BE CALLED "FUCKED" BECAUSE THATS WHAT THEY ARE. SOME OF THOSE PEOPLE WILL NEVER RECOVER FROM A EVENT LIKE THIS
          Questions, comments, complaints:
          [email protected]

Comment

i really can not believe this conversation is up for debate at a time like this......They are alive and that is what is important.....by definition they are refugees....but who cares.......we are waaaaay too sensitive.......I heard last week a man speak who was in a position of authority and was called many things by many people.....asked if it bothered him he said that his father taught him that it was not what you were called that mattered, but what you answered to.........

meaning it makes no difference what you are called.......your self-worth is generated from within........

this feel good bullshit pisses me off.........

Comment

Originally posted by TwoTonTony
              i really can not believe this conversation is up for debate at a time like this......They are alive and that is what is important.....by definition they are refugees....but who cares.......we are waaaaay too sensitive.......I heard last week a man speak who was in a position of authority and was called many things by many people.....asked if it bothered him he said that his father taught him that it was not what you were called that mattered, but what you answered to.........

meaning it makes no difference what you are called.......your self-worth is generated from within........

this feel good bullshit pisses me off.........

your exactly right. That is my point who cares. The bigger issue is that the people are alive. These people are truely lucky
              2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

OK I read the whole thing now- In agreement- time that could be better utilized for something positive.
                "The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice.

Comment

i would be glad to just be alive no matter what has happen i dont care about the looting cause they have nothening most of them but the killing of americans trying to help other americans in uncalled for and should be shot right where they stand.........guys u dont know what u would do in any situation they are in walmart and big companys will get there money back for the kids getting clothes and anything to eat god bless them .........only could imagaine what is going on in thier lil heads
                  rjeremy for my accounts manager/i love how he keeps numbers

Comment

Originally posted by 10DimeBry
                    I agree! Who the fuck cares. It's an expression. Jeez some peeps have nothing better to do than spin everything to the negative.

Comment

The definiton of refugee:

One who flees in search of refuge

The definition of refuge:

A place providing protection or shelter.

Comment

Originally posted by frankb03
                        I agree! Who the fuck cares. It's an expression. Jeez some peeps have nothing better to do than spin everything to the negative.
                        Are you kidding me?...I for one was offended the first time I heard a reporter use the word Refugee to refer to the evacuees, and I was still offended when I heard a fellow classmate use it yesturday....and I wasn't the only one...it's not the right word and if no one cared it wouldn't be corrected...maybe California has made me too liberal but that's just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by frankb03
                          The definiton of refugee:

One who flees in search of refuge

The definition of refuge:

A place providing protection or shelter.

Not the full definition..might want to go look at an updated dictionary

Comment

!

Originally posted by ASexyBrunette24
                            Are you kidding me?...I for one was offended the first time I heard a reporter use the word Refugee to refer to the evacuees, and I was still offended when I heard a fellow classmate use it yesturday....and I wasn't the only one...it's not the right word and if no one cared it wouldn't be corrected...maybe California has made me too liberal but that's just my opinion
                            sexy brunette......the point i think everyone is making is that this is an issue that is so small in comparison than the real issues....where will these people live? how will they find their loved ones? can they ever move back or will it be too toxic? where will their next meal come from???? to me these are the real issues of life and death.....the use of a word that's definition is debateable smacks of a side topic for the jesse jacksons of the world...Also just because the topic is up for debate matters not......This country has gotten way too soft and people continue to look to blame everyone for everything......My advice to people.....toughen up and not be so sensitive!!!

If you are offended that is your problem......I do not apologize for my stance.......too many people knuckle under to be politically correct.....i for one do not give a shit

Comment

ASB,

you might want to move out of Cali. Stop being so sensitive. Thats whats ruining our country.
                              2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

Working...
                              X