Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kbsooner21 View Post
    So why doesn't everyone have a Mac? There has to be a drawback
    Price. That's it. Anyone that's used them both knows it's a joke to compare them at all. It's like comparing Mila Kunis and Roseanne Barr

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21 View Post
      So why doesn't everyone have a Mac? There has to be a drawback
      Their stock used to be less than $10 a share. It's now $405 a share and has split more than once. Many people who use computers and need speed and reliability are using Macs. PC's at one time had probably 97% of the market share, so Macs have come a long way.

They are still proprietary, meaning that Jobs never sold the license agreement off and that means it's nearly impossible for them to get a virus because they don't have a bunch of off brands in their system and their code is impossible to break. At least from what I've been told. It also means that software companies have to make software soley for Apple and a lot still don't want to do that. But it's gotten a lot better with that as well, because a majority of the younger generation are using Macs. They were smart in installing Macs in schools. Now all those kids are used to them.

Plus, you can run windows on a Mac, but can't run the Mac OS on a PC. And the Mac OS is amazing and so well designed. It's fun to use it....

KAZ
      [email protected]

I'm just here so I won't get fined....

Comment

I was loaned an iPhone early last year and was blown away. Consequently I bought the iPhone 4 last November as my Pay-As-You-Go contract is such good value.

In January I bought the MacBook and my 72 year old mother was so impressed that in July she bought me a MacBook Pro so that she could have the now "withdrawn" MacBook. I might add this is her first ever PC, but she thought the Apple software looked "easy-to-use".

Along the way I have also picked Apple Tv and a second hand iMac.

I think you might say I'm a convert.

Learning how to use them is half of the fun, but I feel they are much more intuitive.

I was constantly annoyed by the slowing of the Microsoft software, I now smile when I think of my previous troubles.

There is only one downside ...... The cost !!!

SoG

Comment

Got a the 27" screen Mac, cant remember what its called and iPad last year. Its awesome not to have a huge hard drive or wires everywhere with like with a tower or hard drive is very clutter free. We got the $99 classes and my wife went to them I never went. I'd say they're worth it, they'll explain how to use programs and answer questions in the classes. We got the Mac version of Microsoft office cuz it was a little cheaper but they work the same and u can save the files in excel or office format so non Mac users can open the files on their pcs. Def like them both ESP the iPad.

Comment

I've had my iPhone 4 for about a year now...I love this thing. It has made me think about switching over to Mac when I upgrade our home PC. We have a Dell all in one (no tower). I like not having the tower. I think next time we will just go to a laptop.
            It's always noon somewhere!

My Fish and Aquariums

Griffey's Posted Record

Comment

Originally posted by griffey_mojo View Post
              I've had my iPhone 4 for about a year now...I love this thing. It has made me think about switching over to Mac when I upgrade our home PC. We have a Dell all in one (no tower). I like not having the tower. I think next time we will just go to a laptop.
              I've gone to a laptop as well. Much more convenient with the wireless around the house.

Comment

Originally posted by KazDog View Post
                I have a Macbook Pro, 15 inch monitor. I have 4 gigs of ram. I would buy the cheaper ram if I were you and install it yourself. It's easy. Not sure about the hard drive. I think I'd stick with Apple there. The reason PC's are crap is due to the many different off brands they put in those machines. Macs have always been proprietary and it's for a good reason.

I don't run Windows because I hate using them. I figured you might want to run it and the Macs make it easy to do with bootcamp or Parallels. I'd leave it off. No sense in inviting a virus if you don't need to. Macs run just about everything a PC does nowadays.

I haven't heard about that $99 class? What is it?

Whenever I've had any problem, I've gone to the Mac store in the local **** and they diagnose and take care of everything. And they have a genius bar that has free tech support and tutoring.

I thought new Macs usually come out around Feb, but I could be wrong. With Jobs gone, who knows. Nov makes sense for Xmas sales....

KAZ
                Doesn't you buying the cheaper ram void the apple warranty? I know I can put 16gb of ram on there for $270-$280. Apple want's $700.

The $99 thing is where you can go down to the apple store and learn how to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat View Post
                  Doesn't you buying the cheaper ram void the apple warranty? I know I can put 16gb of ram on there for $270-$280. Apple want's $700.

The $99 thing is where you can go down to the apple store and learn how to use it.
                  That's an easy one. Keep your original memory. If your computer needs to be fixed under warranty, re-install the old memory. They'll never know you switched them back and forth. And I'm not so sure it voids the warranty anyways. Lots of new computers come with extra memory. But I'd still switch it back to the original just in case....

That $99 class seems like a pretty good deal. Learning short cuts and the ins and out seems valuable. Although trust me, learning the Mac OS is not that difficult. But if you're gonna save a lot of photos and music, the tutorial could be valuable...

I've bought my Macs on Ebay...

KAZ
                  [email protected]

Comment

That's an easy one. Keep your original memory. If your computer needs to be fixed under warranty, re-install the old memory. They'll never know you switched them back and forth. And I'm not so sure it voids the warranty anyways. Lots of new computers come with extra memory. But I'd still switch it back to the original just in case....

That $99 class seems like a pretty good deal. Learning short cuts and the ins and out seems valuable. Although trust me, learning the Mac OS is not that difficult. But if you're gonna save a lot of photos and music, the tutorial could be valuable...

KAZ
                    I meant keep your original Ram and install the new 16 gb Ram and if something goes haywire, reinstall the original Ram before you take it in...

KAZ
                    [email protected]

Comment

KAZ
                      The one's that you bought off ebay was it the same seller? Remember his username?

Comment

The one's that you bought off ebay was it the same seller? Remember his username?
                        No. It wasn't. I've bought 3 laptops in the past 8 years. I get around 2 to 3 years on them, then I want the latest and greatest. I'm just patient and very cautious when I buy things on Ebay, but I get a substantial discount when I do. Plus, if it isn't good, there's ebay's buyer protection. If you check the seller's feedback and they usually are good sellers, there's rarely a problem. Some people just get a computer for work or to test out by Apple, and they want to unload it. I always make sure it's a sealed, in the box, new unit...

KAZ
                        [email protected]

Comment

No. It wasn't. I've bought 3 laptops in the past 8 years. I get around 2 to 3 years on them, then I want the latest and greatest. I'm just patient and very cautious when I buy things on Ebay, but I get a substantial discount when I do. Plus, if it isn't good, there's ebay's buyer protection. If you check the seller's feedback and they usually are good sellers, there's rarely a problem. Some people just get a computer for work or to test out by Apple, and they want to unload it. I always make sure it's a sealed, in the box, new unit...

KAZ
                          What's odd is the Mac Pros on there are cheaper than you can buy them at apple. Apple's answer was that they were going to look into it as affiliates can't sell on ebay. After apple adjusted their price they were still $400-$500 more.

The only problem about pulling the ram would be does apple have a connection device like dell? Basically you go to dell's site and download software which allows them to take over your computer to see what's wrong with it.

According to the guy on Ebay though is that you can buy the warranty from apple and he can configure it for whatever you want. I believe I even seen the warranties on ebay for $50 less. Seems like to me that apple wants to squeeze every penny out of everybody.

Comment

What's odd is the Mac Pros on there are cheaper than you can buy them at apple. Apple's answer was that they were going to look into it as affiliates can't sell on ebay. After apple adjusted their price they were still $400-$500 more.

The only problem about pulling the ram would be does apple have a connection device like dell? Basically you go to dell's site and download software which allows them to take over your computer to see what's wrong with it.

According to the guy on Ebay though is that you can buy the warranty from apple and he can configure it for whatever you want. I believe I even seen the warranties on ebay for $50 less. Seems like to me that apple wants to squeeze every penny out of everybody.
                            I don't think those are affiliates selling the Macs on EBay. I think they are people with access to cheaper prices. Sometimes it's a technician, or someone gets one by their company or just different reasons. I don't question why they are selling them cheaper, I just know it's hundreds less than the Mac store. Maybe they're hot? Whatever the reason, don't ask and pick one up with a warranty. Like I said, I've bought 3 laptops on Ebay for a lot less than Mac was selling them and I've had no problems. When something did go wrong with the computer, the Apple store helped me out immensely to fix it. Never questioned anything.

I don't know about any connection device. There are several Mac/Apple forums you can get on and ask. Most those guys are techno geeks and can answer any question you might have about Ram and warranty.

And of course Apple wants every dollar. It's a double edge sword really. I'm glad they've locked up proprietary issues because it keeps them from getting viruses. But it also means higher prices. Just be selective on what you buy from the store. You can find almost anything you want on Ebay like I have. Once again I'll say, you'll never regret owning one. They are amazing machines.

KAZ
                            [email protected]

Comment

I don't think those are affiliates selling the Macs on EBay. I think they are people with access to cheaper prices. Sometimes it's a technician, or someone gets one by their company or just different reasons. I don't question why they are selling them cheaper, I just know it's hundreds less than the Mac store. Maybe they're hot? Whatever the reason, don't ask and pick one up with a warranty. Like I said, I've bought 3 laptops on Ebay for a lot less than Mac was selling them and I've had no problems. When something did go wrong with the computer, the Apple store helped me out immensely to fix it. Never questioned anything.

I don't know about any connection device. There are several Mac/Apple forums you can get on and ask. Most those guys are techno geeks and can answer any question you might have about Ram and warranty.

And of course Apple wants every dollar. It's a double edge sword really. I'm glad they've locked up proprietary issues because it keeps them from getting viruses. But it also means higher prices. Just be selective on what you buy from the store. You can find almost anything you want on Ebay like I have. Once again I'll say, you'll never regret owning one. They are amazing machines.

KAZ
                              I'm going to buy one of ebay, because I can save around $800 plus have it configured how I want it. The place must be an apple affiliate, because they include the warranty in the price they quoted me.

Comment

I'm going to buy one of ebay, because I can save around $800 plus have it configured how I want it. The place must be an apple affiliate, because they include the warranty in the price they quoted me.
                                They can sell new computers with the warranty card still in them. They don't necessarily have to be affiliates.

Saving $800 is well worth it. Email me the link if you want me to check it out and make sure they are on the up and up....

KAZ
                                [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                                X