Sharpei or Chow Chow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharpei or Chow Chow?

I'm planning to get a dog soon. I like both dogs based on how cute they look but are they good dogs?

Depends on what you want. I don't know anything about a sharpei other than their looks. I did, however, own a chow mix for 11 years. He was an excellent watch dog. Nothing that entered our back yard while he was outside escaped alive...cats, skunks, birds, squirrels, people.

well, he didn't actually kill any people, but he would definitely attack if someone entered his territory. My son forgot to put him outside one time when the HVAC repairman was coming. The dude entered the front door and was greeted by bare teeth. He retreated quickly enough to keep from getting attacked but the experience shortened his life by about 3 years. So, you have to be careful with a chow. They can be a definite liability.

Comment

Wow that made me think twice most especially since I've got kids. Someone once told me that dogs with the purple tongue are not very friendly.

Comment

Chicks like purple heads
        Questions, comments, complaints:
        [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by jcindaville View Post
          Chicks like purple heads

Monte wants to know if purple heads are pure bred or mixed?
          NBA is a joke

Comment

Monte, check out the show Dogs 101. Maybe you can find it on the internet. They break down most breeds.

I had a chow mix once who we finally had to put down because he would attack other dogs when he got loose. Luckily, he never bit a child.
            NBA is a joke

Comment

I can only speak to chows. Grandparents had one growing up. It was great with us kids. we would lay on this dog, wrestle with him, everything.....he was great. However, he would get in fights with other dogs all the time when taken to the park. Chows are known for being very protective of their owners. I'm not saying they are bad dogs, just that they do have the potential to get you in trouble around other dogs, and/or people.

Comment

Originally posted by BattersUp! View Post
                I'm planning to get a dog soon. I like both dogs based on how cute they look but are they good dogs?
                My uncle raised Chow Chows for years. They are great dogs, but agree with above poster about them being territorial. You have to put a lot of time into training them the right way. If you have small kids or don’t have the time to train them I would advise against a chow..
                "Happens to everyone. Time to time, everyone goes bust. You'll be back in the game before you know it."

Comment

Good advice on the Chow breed by the two posta above.
                  NBA is a joke

Comment

Originally posted by Gookis View Post
                    I can only speak to chows. Grandparents had one growing up. It was great with us kids. we would lay on this dog, wrestle with him, everything.....he was great. However, he would get in fights with other dogs all the time when taken to the park. Chows are known for being very protective of their owners. I'm not saying they are bad dogs, just that they do have the potential to get you in trouble around other dogs, and/or people.
                    Exactly my experience. He was great with our kids and most kids. But he could definitely get us into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by flarendep1 View Post
                      Monte wants to know if purple heads are pure bred or mixed?
                      Monte prefers pure bred, that way its bigger
                      [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by jcindaville View Post
                        Monte prefers pure bred, that way its bigger

I guess you would know.......

NBA is a joke

Comment

I guess you would know.......

Of course, I'm a pure bred!
                          [email protected]

Comment

My mom had a Shar Pei and they are very intelligent dogs. However, they are possessive towards one owner. I've heard other people say they didn't have that problem. I guess it depends on who raises the dog as my mom raised him. They are good watch dogs and good with other pets. You have to be aware they can be prone to hip dysplasia and have eye issues which are usually tacked before being sold. Also make sure the tongue is fully black/purple because if it's not then it's officially not a show quality one. Only point in bringing that up is you can get them for less. Shar Pei's used to be $1500 and up, but now they are probably $400-$800.

As for any dog and its aggressiveness it depends on the owner and how they raise them. A lot of dogs get a bad rap aka pit bulls, rottweiler's etc.

I've got 2 Jack Russell Terriers and they are my favorite dogs out of all the dogs I've owned growing up.

Comment

Monte, check out the show Dogs 101. Maybe you can find it on the internet. They break down most breeds.

I had a chow mix once who we finally had to put down because he would attack other dogs when he got loose. Luckily, he never bit a child.
                              Dogs 101 : Animal Planet

Comment

Working...
                              X