Broncos' Williams killed Monday morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos' Williams killed Monday morning

DENVER -- Denver Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams was shot and killed in a drive-by shooting in downtown Denver early Monday morning, police said.

Williams

Team spokesman Jim Saccomano said police called him about 3 a.m. from the scene of the shooting and told him three people had been shot and that Williams had been killed.

A little after 2 a.m., a white Hummer limousine was sprayed with bullets from a vehicle that pulled up along its side, said Sonny Jackson, spokesperson for the Denver Police Department.

Three people in the limousine were hit and were taken to area hospitals, where one man was pronounced dead, Jackson said. The other man and woman who were shot were not identified.

Jackson said police were searching for the suspects and interviewing witnesses.

"We have no motive yet," Jackson said. "We're hoping to talk with witnesses to find out where they were coming from, and that might give us some clues."

Saccomano said he spoke with coach Mike Shanahan and others in the organization.

"Complete shock. We're speechless. It takes words away. A terrible tragedy," Saccomano said.

Hours before the shooting, the Broncos lost to San Francisco 26-23 in overtime, eliminating them from the playoff race.

The 24-year-old Williams finished the season with 88 tackles, 78 of them solo, and four interceptions.

On Sunday against the 49ers, he had three tackles and returned two punts for 50 yards before leaving the game with a shoulder injury late in the second half.

Williams, a second-round draft pick out of Oklahoma State in 2005, made an immediate impact on the Broncos, starting nine times in his rookie season following a stellar career at Oklahoma State, where he totaled 11 interceptions and scored three touchdowns on punt returns.

Players and coaches are off Monday. They were scheduled to meet Tuesday before heading home for the offseason.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
    2007 BCS and 2009 BCS CHAMPS
    2006 & 2007 NCAA MENS BASKETBALL CHAMPS
    2008 & 2010 RAYS BASEBALL AMERICAN LEAGUE CHAMPS

The Whole World Has Gone Crazy,life Means Nothing To Some.
    jt4545

Fat Tuesday's - Home

Comment

Originally posted by jt4545
      The Whole World Has Gone Crazy,life Means Nothing To Some.
      You Said it.

R.I.P. Williams
      Good Luck to everyone
      Adam

Richie: [after Gus hits a homerun] Wow and he did it without steroids.
      Clark: What's steroids?
      Richie: Something that makes your pee-pee smaller.
      Clark: There must be steroids in macaroni!

Comment

Damn sad really ...........

Comment

From what was said on ESPN News, he was just sitting in the limo with 2 othr people and the onslaught began.
          Hopefully they catch the people that did this. We should go to the hanging system rather than life in prison.

God bless the Williams family.
          Am I the longest tenured BC member?

Comment

This is horrible news ... so damn sad ...

Comment

Originally posted by zeib10
              From what was said on ESPN News, he was just sitting in the limo with 2 othr people and the onslaught began.
              Hopefully they catch the people that did this. We should go to the hanging system rather than life in prison.

God bless the Williams family.
              i totally agree ith ya, THIS IS REALLY SAD I THINK AN EYE FOR AN EYE ONLY WAY I THINK TO CONTROLL SOME OF THESE ANIMALS THAT ARE DOING THIS,, THIS IS SOOOO SAD MAN THIS SUCKS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,PEACE
              U GOT A HUNCH BET A BUNCH
              THINK LONG THINK WRONG

ROLLLLLLLLLL TIDEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
              BAMA BAMA BAMA

Comment

Really sad, hope it wasn't an angry Bronco fan that went full tilt after boozing it up all night.

BadgerJoe
                Life's a gamble, hold out for nickle juice!

Comment

WTF!!!!

dskgldaghotjhortkgs;jkrhsgihujie
                  SOBER SINCE MARCH 28TH OF 2007!!!

Comment

Unbelievable the stupid shit hateful people do in this sad world. I hope the the individuals responsible for this get the death penalty.
                    Questions, comments, complaints:
                    [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerJoe
                      Really sad, hope it wasn't an angry Bronco fan that went full tilt after boozing it up all night.

WOW! I didn't think of that. I'd hate to think someone could be that angry over a team.

Comment

very very sad

Comment

That sucks.......the shame of it is the liberals will plead not to take the jackass's life who did this........
                          Here We Go Steelers....Here We Go!!!!

Comment

the city of denver must be speechless....blizzards have snarled all the transportation, the team chokes a playoff spot and now a player is killed like this.....wow

Comment

I was at the game last night and it was a somber crowd.Something like this really puts things in perspective.

I don't know if this was random or planned. I do know of several people who have been the victims of random violence in downtown Denver-one a limo driver.Supposedly this is a gang initiation.

A lot of these stories don't make the headlines.

I'm curious if this is occuring in other large cities?

Its prretty sad.
                              Last edited by Goose; 01-01-2007, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X