No announcement yet.

Where were you 5 years ago?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had just left the groung on a Philly to Las Vegas flight at 8:20 AM. We circled Philly airport for 45 minutes then landed back at Philly Intl.

Comment

a different perspective by someone hit hard by 9/11

I was at work, watching all this unfold. My soon to be ex husband was in South Tower, 34th floor. Our children watched it fall. We could not locate him for a full 2 weeks.

That being said, all this worshipping a hole in the ground and attention whoring has GOT TO STOP. We need to pick up and go on, all the stupid yellow magnetic ribbons and badly designed t shirts in the world aren't going to change anything.
      How many more titles will the Yankees try to buy it never ends.

Comment

Rook, what hotel?

I was the Hotel Manager at The Plaza in NYC, about3 miles from Ground Zero. We had just wrapped up our daily Operations meeting when I got a call from the Cafeteria to say that a plane hit the first tower. So I grabbed the CFO and VP of Sales and we went to the GM's office as he had a TV but he was in Bermuda on vacation, leaving me to run the place. We watched tower two get hit. We ran across the street, not wanting to believe what we were watching, to the steps of FAO (where the CBS Morning News show televises from) as you could see the towers from the steps. The looks on people's faces as we watched the towers burn was something I will never forget. I then had to find a way to comfort/feed 1400 guests plus 200 staff as we were full with no way in or out of NYC (no supplies/no staff) for multiple days. I remember the winds shifting at 6pm and the smoke and smell of burning metal billowing down 5th Ave and engulfing the hotel. I remember being so wrapped up in trying to care for our guests and staff that I didn't get a chance to sit down and realize the enormity of it all until late that afternoon and I just lost it. I remember being the grieving headquarters for Aon and Canter Fitzgerald for 2 weeks after 9/11 and having all of the family and friends of those lost with us. I remember people walking the streets that night, completely lost and caked in crushed cement. I remember pouring a bottle of water over someone's head as they could hardly see and at cuts around their eyes, trying to help them. I stayed in the hotel until Sunday of that week, when my GM finally was able to get back from Bermuda. I remember going to play golf at my golf club the following Sunday and everyone hugging everyone as you really had no idea who was lost. I remember going to Grand Central everyday to go home and seeing the multiple bulletin boards and shrines in people memory, people crying, reading stories about complete strangers and breaking down. I remember going to Ground Zero 10 days after 9/11 and the smell, dirt and smoke still everywhere with thousands of people walking the streets but it being so quiet you could hear a pin drop....

Sorry, a little more than what you asked for but all these memories....
        Last edited by Three Jack; 09-11-2006, 05:09 PM.
        Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

Originally posted by Three Jack
          Rook, what hotel?

I was the Hotel Manager at The Plaza in NYC, about3 miles from Ground Zero. We had just wrapped up our daily Operations meeting when I got a call from the Cafeteria to say that a plane hit the first tower. So I grabbed the CFO and VP of Sales and we went to the GM's office as he had a TV but he was in Bermuda on vacation, leaving me to run the place. We watched tower two get hit. We ran across the street, not wanting to believe what we were watching, to the steps of FAO (where the CBS Morning News show televises from) as you could see the towers from the steps. The looks on people's faces as we watched the towers burn was something I will never forget. I then had to find a way to comfort/feed 1400 guests plus 200 staff as we were full with no way in or out of NYC (no supplies/no staff) for multiple days. I remember the winds shifting at 6pm and the smoke and smell of burning metal billowing down 5th Ave and engulfing the hotel. I remember being so wrapped up in trying to care for our guests and staff that I didn't get a chance to sit down and realize the enormity of it all until late that afternoon and I just lost it. I remember being the grieving headquarters for Aon and Canter Fitzgerald for 2 weeks after 9/11 and having all of the family and friends of those lost with us. I remember people walking the streets that night, completely lost and caked in crushed cement. I remember pouring a bottle of water over someone's head as they could hardly see and at cuts around their eyes, trying to help them. I stayed in the hotel until Sunday of that week, when my GM finally was able to get back from Bermuda. I remember going to play golf at my golf club the following Sunday and everyone hugging everyone as you really had no idea who was lost. I remember going to Grand Central everyday to go home and seeing the multiple bulletin boards and shrines in people memory, people crying, reading stories about complete strangers and breaking down. I remember going to Ground Zero 10 days after 9/11 and the smell, dirt and smoke still everywhere with thousands of people walking the streets but it being so quiet you could hear a pin drop....

wow
          Questions, comments, complaints:
          [email protected]

Comment

Rook, what hotel?

Wow

Comment

i was in spanish class with bhs...someone came in the room and told s to turn on the tv and they showed the towers.....we stopped everything and watched cnn the rest of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by DIRK
                a different perspective by someone hit hard by 9/11

I was at work, watching all this unfold. My soon to be ex husband was in South Tower, 34th floor. Our children watched it fall. We could not locate him for a full 2 weeks.

That being said, all this worshipping a hole in the ground and attention whoring has GOT TO STOP. We need to pick up and go on, all the stupid yellow magnetic ribbons and badly designed t shirts in the world aren't going to change anything.
                Whats wrong with remembering those who died in this tragic event? I disagree with you....those people should be remembered. We have moved on...people thought this country would take a huge hit economically when in fact we got throught it very well and we are doing much better.

Comment

Rook, what hotel?

WOW is right....

TTT, Mule, three jack....and the others that live in NY...i was really interested in your posts...as being here in SC, you couldn't feel the enormity of the event as much as you could...no matter what we say...its just not the same. And hearing it on TV is one thing...but reading it on here from guys I consider friends here in this forum, it puts things even in more perspective.

Thank you to everyone who responded, but to you three....really thank you...and no, I'll never forget. I looked at my 5 month old daugther today and just thanked god that she was here, and I was here.

Just a surreal day.

ps...three jack, I was the GM of a Extended Stay America

Comment

In my dorm room at Uconn with my roomate who was blowin ass. And we turned on the tv
                    U-C-O-N-N = Uconn! Uconn! Uconn!

Comment

I dont know who everyone listened to when this all happened but i did deliveries for my dads business up in ny and was listening to Howard Stern the whole time. He truly put on one of the best radio shows that day

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovedoc
                        I dont know who everyone listened to when this all happened but i did deliveries for my dads business up in ny and was listening to Howard Stern the whole time. He truly put on one of the best radio shows that day

I was listening to him when i could also. I listened yesterday quite a bit to the replay of that broadcast. Its really wierd listening when you know whats going to happen next

Watching alot of what happened last night on TV, all the interviews with wives and husbands that were on the plane that crashed in the field. I swear i got teary eyed as hell, i cant imagine talking to my wife and she's telling me their rushing the cockpit, and tell the kids she loves them. That was brutal.

I HOPE BUSH OR WHO EVER IS OUR NEXT PRESIDENT EXTERIMINATES ALL MUSLIM EXTREMEST TERRORIST
                        Last edited by jcindaville; 09-12-2006, 09:16 AM.
                        Questions, comments, complaints:
                        [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by TheRook
                          ps...three jack, I was the GM of MOTEL 6

thats something i never knew
                          2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

Originally posted by 10DimeBry
                            thats something i never knew

jackass

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovedoc
                              I didn't listen to anyone that day but the one who still brings a tear to my eye is Letterman's monologue the first day back. Very powerful.
                              Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

Originally posted by JBC13
                                Whats wrong with remembering those who died in this tragic event? I disagree with you....those people should be remembered. We have moved on...people thought this country would take a huge hit economically when in fact we got throught it very well and we are doing much better.
                                I agree 1000%

It saddens me that many Americans have already forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                                X