• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crocodile Hunter Dead

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin deadBy staff writers
    September 04, 2006 02:14pm
    Article from: Font size: + -
    Send this article: Print Email
    THE Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, is dead.

He was killed in a freak accident in Cairns, police sources said today.

It is understood he was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest.

He was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas filming an underwater documentary when the tragedy occured.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality this morning at Batt Reef off Port Douglas.

Irwin's body is being flown to Cairns.

It is believed his American-born wife Terri is trekking on Cradle Mountain in Tasmania and is yet to be told of her husband's death.

Irwin - known worldwide as the Crocodile Hunter - is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!".

The father of two's Crocodile Hunter program was first broadcast in 1992 and has been shown around the world on cable network Discovery.

He has also starred in movies and has developed the Australia Zoo wildlife park, north of Brisbane, which was started by his parents Bob and Lyn Irwin.

Tributes have already started pouring in for the larger-than-life character.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, who used a photograph of his family at Australia Zoo for his official Christmas card last year, hailed Mr Irwin for his work in promoting Australia.

Irwin was heavily involved in last year's "G'Day LA" campaign.

"The minister knew him, was fond of him and was very, very appreciative of all the work he'd done to promote Australia overseas," a spokesman said.

A Tourism Queensland spokeswoman said the death was shocking and paid tribute to Irwin's "enormous contribution" to his adopted state.

Louise Yates said it was impossible to quantify how much Mr Irwin had meant to the Queensland tourism industry.

"I don't think we could even estimate how much he brought us through his personality and his profile and his enthusiasm about Queensland," she said.

"It would be difficult to estimate how much he was worth. And it would be difficult to underestimate."

She said Irwin had been a larger-than-life ambassador.

"It's not just what he brought but what he took with him when he travelled, his passion."

Australia Zoo, on southeast Queensland's Sunshine Coast, employs more than 500 people and attracts thousands of visitors every day.

But Ms Yates said it would be "unfair and unjust" to put a dollar value on Irwin's worth to the state, because of how much he had given.
    MLB (2014): (3-4) -.9 units

very sad story here. Leaves behind his wife and little kid. With all of the dangerous animals he deals with he ends up getting killed by a stingray.

You just never know when its your time.

R.I.P.

Comment

what is a stingray barb?

Comment

Originally posted by TwoTonTony
        what is a stingray barb?
        At the end of a stingrays tail they have a bard. When disturbed by pressure over the dorsum of the body, the tail is thrust upward and forward, driving the barb in to the victim. Rupture of the integumentary sheath on penetration allows the venom to be released.
        The venom contains toxic proteins. The effects of the venom may be local and/or systemic. Local effects include severe pain at the site of injury and tissue necrosis

My guess is he had a heart attack from it.

Comment

wonder if it is true or urban legend??? his death is reported 3 to 4 times per year according to a site i just googled....and i do not see it anywhere else....Hope so....i like that guy

Comment

here is where I got the article from. I heard this from my local Tv news in San Diego. It's true.

http://www.news.com.au/0,,,00.html

Yeah I used to watch his shows a lot about 5 years ago. My heart dropped when I heard this.

Comment

it is true....just saw it on fox.com

Comment

too bad,I liked his show

Comment

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060904/..._tv/obit_irwin

Comment

Last edited by Spark; 09-04-2006, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Man that sucks as he really appeared to be a great guy. I remember watching him on one of the late night shows and boy was that guy full of energy. He couldn't stay in his chair.

Comment

Damn ... That guy was awesome!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat
                          Man that sucks as he really appeared to be a great guy. I remember watching him on one of the late night shows and boy was that guy full of energy. He couldn't stay in his chair.
                          Yeah Monte .. he was really into his job ... His energy would just come right at ya through the TV screen ... animals were his life ... This is a sad day for all mankind ... he was a dynamite kid ...

Comment

I loved watching that guy. I've never seen anyone treat Crocs and gators like grass snakes but he did and made it look easy!

Comment

A Friend Of Mine From Australia Knew Him And Said He Pretty Much Lived In A Modest House And Gave Most Of His Profits To Animal Conservation And Various Charities.

It Just Goes To Show That Life Isn't Guaranteed To Any Of Us. Even The Good Ones.
                              You Gotta Live And Love Every Minute That's Given To Us.

Maybe Some Guys On The Boards That Worry All Day About Record Keeping And Petty Stuff On The Boards And Who Said What About Some Anonymous Screen Name And Etc. Should Keep That In Mind. Life Is Too Short To Worry About Nonsense. Live It Full And At 100%

Comment

Working...
                              X