• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ozzie Guillen for Manager of the Year

Sox pitcher dismissed after miss

June 15, 2006

BY JOE COWLEY Staff Reporter

ARLINGTON, Texas -- White Sox starting pitcher Javier Vazquez allowed six runs on 10 hits in six innings.

Sox hitters combined for only four hits in an 8-0 loss to the Texas Rangers on Wednesday.

And they all had good days compared with that of rookie reliever Sean Tracey.

After watching catcher A.J. Pierzynski get beaned by Rangers starter Vicente Padilla in the second and fourth innings, Tracey was brought into the game in the seventh to face Hank Blalock.

According to one Sox source, Tracey also entered the game with specific instructions.

RANGERS 8
    WHITE SOX 0

Both benches had received warnings after the second time Pierzynski was used for target practice, and that's why Agustin Montero already was warming up in the bullpen with Tracey on the mound.

Tracey did throw one inside pitch to Blalock, but then he simply pitched to the third baseman and got him out.

That brought Sox manager Ozzie Guillen to the mound and sent Tracey to the dugout.

The explanation offered by Guillen after the game was well thought out but also a big smokescreen. And while Guillen is never one to lie to the media, he also knows the unwritten rule of baseball that states a manager or player never can admit to throwing at an opposing player without serious repercussions from the league office.

"I felt the thing with Tracey was he's not a mop-up man,'' Guillen said. "He's one of our prospects and shouldn't be in the game for mop-up time. I took too long to get Montero ready to go, and that was my mistake.

"It was my fault that Montero wasn't up quick enough. I got caught between leaving Vazquez in the game or not.''

Guillen, however, was caught on camera screaming at someone in the dugout after removing Tracey. When the camera focused on Tracey, he was visibly upset and looked almost on the brink of tears. A Sox source said after the game that Tracey was informed he was being sent back down to Class AAA Charlotte.

"Ozzie went nuts,'' one source said. "He had the ass, big-time.''

Tracey was asked about the incident after the game and said: "I have no comment to you guys. No comment.''

Guillen was asked why he was so angry if it was just a simple mistake, and he kept to the script perfectly.

"He's not a mop-up guy,'' Guillen said of Tracey. "I think [he was upset] because he didn't know what the manager was thinking.''

While that may or may not be the truth, the Sox (40-25) felt like they had an idea of what Padilla was thinking.

"I think I know the first time he hit him on purpose,'' Vazquez said. "I don't have to think about it the second time.''

But Guillen was thinking about it. And the Sox manager seemed sick of watching his hitters get thrown at this season.

"I don't know if [Padilla] has something against [Pierzynski] or what,'' Guillen said. "He was throwing strikes to everyone, and then he faces this guy and tries to throw inside and hits him twice? I don't like that.''

When asked about the warning issued, Guillen seemed confused by the decision.

"I don't know if they think I'm a headhunter or crazy because every time we get hit, I get a warning,'' Guillen said. "I don't know what to do. We have to protect our players.''

After a 1-2-3 first inning, Vazquez (7-4) was greeted by a Blalock solo home run to start the second.

It was in the third that it really fell apart for the right-hander, however, as Texas (35-31) put four runs on the board. Back-to-back RBI doubles by Mark Teixeira and Blalock with two outs in the third put Vazquez in a three-run hole.

The damage continued with back-to-back RBI singles by Kevin Mench and Ian Kinsler as the South Siders were finding out why the Rangers' offense was ranked third in the American League.

Meanwhile, Padilla (6-4) was dominant in his eight innings.

Vazquez settled down after the third but served up a solo homer to Gary Matthews Jr. in the sixth.

He was out of the game after that inning, with Guillen putting the ball in Tracey's hands, possibly for the last time this season.

"I don't know what [Padilla's] deal was,'' Pierzynski said. "He seemed to have pretty good control all night, and then all of a sudden he runs two first-pitches at me in the same spot.''

Pierzynski also seemed fed up with the system, which saw him hit twice and had the Sox' bench warned before any retaliation.

"I don't understand the system,'' Pierzynski said. "It's a shame it works like that.''

The Sox are expected to announce a replacement for Tracey in the bullpen today.

thanks Rook---kapt

Don't make me go Cajun on your Ass!

Comment

Obvious he bitched him out for not hitting their batter. IMO pitchers shouldn't throw at other players. Then there would be no issue of having to hit a player for the other team. If you want to get someone out, because he hit a HR or whatever strike his ass out.

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat
        Obvious he bitched him out for not hitting their batter. IMO pitchers shouldn't throw at other players. Then there would be no issue of having to hit a player for the other team. If you want to get someone out, because he hit a HR or whatever strike his ass out.

BC...My problem isn't the fact that the kid was supposed to hit the guy on retaliation...it's the immature tirade that Guillen did after the kid didn't hit Blaylock. Do it after the game, in the clubhouse, but don't do it in the dugout in front of all the cameras. I don't know if you all saw the highlights, but Guillen is lighting up this kid in the dugout, and this poor kid has his jersey over his head he's so upset....

And now the sox sent the kid down to AAA.

Just classless to me.

Comment

Let me add one more thing to that....this is a rookie pitcher you send out to the mound in a VERY tough situation. He's probably never been in something like this before. Why not send some veteran out there to do the job?

I understand the un written rules of baseball, and have no qulams about that...but damn, Guillen was WAY off base to me in the way he handled the situation.

Comment

guillen should have bitched him out. And i'm glad he did. Tracey is a girls name and thats what he is A f*ckin p*ssy. The only person out there that should feel sorry for Tracey is tracey himself. GL in the minors you loser. I applaud Guillen. Being a rookie has ZERO to do with it. You have a job to do, you do it. Nuff said. C-ya Tracey
            2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

Originally posted by TheRook
              Let me add one more thing to that....this is a rookie pitcher you send out to the mound in a VERY tough situation. He's probably never been in something like this before. Why not send some veteran out there to do the job?

I understand the un written rules of baseball, and have no qulams about that...but damn, Guillen was WAY off base to me in the way he handled the situation.

guillen is 100% right. No way no how, you dont protect your guys. Did you happen to see the sox bat boy last night when some yahoo slid into home. The BB tackled him and held him on the ground til security got there. Did he have to do that?? No, but he did to protect his team and the twins. Tracey is a loser and if he had a pair of BALLS he would have done his job and hit blalock.
              2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

Originally posted by 10DimeBry
                guillen should have bitched him out. And i'm glad he did. Tracey is a girls name and thats what he is A f*ckin p*ssy. The only person out there that should feel sorry for Tracey is tracey himself. GL in the minors you loser. I applaud Guillen. Being a rookie has ZERO to do with it. You have a job to do, you do it. Nuff said. C-ya Tracey

I couldn't disagree with you more on so many levels.

Behind closed doors, in the clubhouse, go ahead and bitch him out for not doing the job that he was told to do...but NOT in front of the TV Cameras, cause the only thing it's gonna do is bring out negative press to both Guillen and this kid. The kid doesn't deserve to be shown on sportscenter looking like he's holding back tears due to the fact Ozzie is acting like a 7 year old that didn't get his way.

Unfortunately this is a pattern with Ozzie, but he's got a world championship, so I guess it's pushed aside as Ozzie being Ozzie.

Sad

Comment

Sorry John but I agree with Dimer here ... Rookie or no rookie that is the game ... The ball is in his hand .. No one else can take care of it except him ..

Guillen for MOY?? You bet cha .. I could not agree more .. I wish we had that spark(no pun intended) as our leader ...

Comment

Originally posted by Spark
                    Sorry John but I agree with Dimer here ... Rookie or no rookie that is the game ... The ball is in his hand .. No one else can take care of it except him ..

Guillen for MOY?? You bet cha .. I could not agree more .. I wish we had that spark(no pun intended) as our leader ...

Understand what I'm trying to say...I don't disagree with WHY Guillen sent him out there....I know that, I understand that...I respect that because that is baseball....

It's the AFTERMATH that bugs me.

Time and a place for what happened, and just in my opinion, both were incorrect in the way that he dealt with this rookie.

Comment

I'd never root for the Cubs again if they had a manager like that. I never liked him as a player either. It's probably just my bias...but oh well...lol

Comment

Unfortunately this is a pattern with Ozzie, but he's got a world championship, so I guess it's pushed aside as Ozzie being Ozzie.

Sad
                        World Championship has nothing to do with it .. He did that when he first got the position .. He fires em up .. a lot of guys will disagree that this is the way to manage but if it works for you keep on keeping on ... Not his fault the game is on TV ..

he is not one to sit on his hands and chew toothpicks all day ...

Comment

I'd never root for the Cubs again if they had a manager like that. I never liked him as a player either. It's probably just my bias...but oh well...lol
                          Trust me ... its your bias ... You are blinded by that losing team .. Thank God I saw the light ..

Comment

Trust me ... its your bias ... You are blinded by that losing team .. Thank God I saw the light ..
                            traitor

Comment

World Championship has nothing to do with it .. He did that when he first got the position .. He fires em up .. a lot of guys will disagree that this is the way to manage but if it works for you keep on keeping on ... Not his fault the game is on TV ..

he is not one to sit on his hands and chew toothpicks all day ...

touche

I guess I'm on my period or something cause I feel for the kid. That can really fvck up your head, especially if your a rookie. I hope he comes back strong after this all goes away.

Do it in the clubhouse....sorry...you can't convince me otherwise that it was RIGHT to blast this kid in the dugout. It does no good to the team.

Comment

Working...
                              X