No announcement yet.

MLB Rumor Central (Trade Talk)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SEATTLE -- The last-place Seattle Mariners traded center fielder Randy Winn to the San Francisco Giants on Saturday night for backup catcher Yorvit Torrealba and minor-league pitcher Jesse Foppert.

Randy Winn
    Left fielder
    San Francisco Giants

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
    GM HR RBI R OBP AVG
    103 6 37 46 .342 .275

The 31-year-old Winn was in his third season in Seattle after coming to the Mariners in an Oct. 28, 2002, trade with Tampa Bay that was contingent on manager Lou Piniella signing as the Devil Rays' manager.

Winn is hitting .275 with six home runs, 37 RBI and 12 stolen bases this season. A career .283 hitter, he was an All-Star in 2002 when he hit a career-high .298 with 14 home runs, 75 RBI and 27 stolen bases for Tampa Bay.

The Mariners made a second trade on Saturday night, sending disappointing Miguel Olivo, who started this season as their No. 1 catcher, to the San Diego Padres for catcher Miguel Ojeda and right-hander Nate Mateo, both minor-leaguers. Olivo was considered the key for the Mariners when they traded right-hander Freddy Garcia to the Chicago White Sox on June 27, 2004.

The Mariners lost 99 games last season and are in last place in the AL West again this season despite spending $114 million on free agents Adrian Beltre and Richie Sexson last winter. They're 14{ games out of first place with a 45-58 record.

Giants manager Felipe Alou said Winn would report to the Giants on Monday and be the team's starting center fielder when the Giants play the Colorado Rockies in San Francisco on Tuesday. He was the Mariners' regular left fielder this season after playing in center for them last season.

"I saw him play a lot when he was with Tampa Bay and I was impressed," Alou said. "I think he will be a very good addition to our team."

Winn did not expect to be traded -- even though the New York Yankees and Minnesota Twins also talked to the Mariners about him.

"I try not to pay attention to rumors," he said in a conference call. "I didn't know the Giants were interested, but I'm definitely happy about it."

Winn, who is earning $3.75 million this season, should have known something was up, though. The Mariners held him out of Saturday's 3-2 victory over Cleveland after he went 4-for-5 in Friday night's 10-5 loss to the Indians.

Seattle general manager Bill Bavasi said the Mariners had "a couple" offers for Winn on the table and "we didn't think it was right to risk getting him hurt."

Bavasi said Foppert, 25, was the key to the trade as far as the Mariners were concerned, but it was "a gamble" because Foppert is still trying to recover from elbow ligament replacement surgery that caused him to miss virtually all of the 2004 season after posting an 8-9 record with a 5.03 ERA in 21 starts with the Giants in 2003.

Foppert pitched in three games with the Giants this season and also pitched at Triple-A Fresno and Class-A San Jose this season.

"Jesse has a better upside than any of the other pitchers with other clubs that we talked to about Randy Winn," Bavasi said. "We could end up with a real fine pitcher who was on his way to a real nice career before Tommy John surgery. But it's a gamble, a real gamble."

Bavasi said Foppert, who has been bothered by a strained neck this season, would report to Seattle to be checked by the team's medical staff and then sent to the minor leagues.

The Mariners don't know who will play left field with Winn's departure, Bavasi said. Raul Ibanez, who has been the team's designated hitter this season, played left field Saturday.

Torrealba, 27, was not getting to play much as the backup to starting catcher Mike Matheny, who has a three-year contract. Torrealba, who has spent five years with the Giants, played in 34 games this season, starting 24. He was hitting .226 with one home run and seven RBI.

"I'm definitely excited about the trade," he said after the Giants' game in Milwaukee on Saturday. "I should get a shot to play and that is what I've been looking for. I don't know what else to say."

Bavasi said Torrealba would join the Mariners on Tuesday night in Detroit for the opener of a six-game road trip.

With the subtraction of Olivo and the additions of Torrealba and Ojeda, 30, the Mariners have three catchers on their 25-man roster now although that could change and they could make a roster move to get down to two catchers, Bavasi said. Their other catcher is Wiki Gonzalez, who was called up from Triple-A Tacoma on Friday when veteran catcher Pat Borders was designed for assignment.

Bavasi said he doesn't know who the team's No. 1 catcher will be for the remainder of the season.

Olivo, 27, who came to Seattle with Reed and shortstop Mike Morse for Garcia last season, was hitting .151 with five homers and 18 RBI in 2005. He was optioned to Tacoma May 30 and recalled June 28. Although the Mariners loved his throwing strength, they had to assign minor-league catching coordinator Roger Hansen to sit on the bench during games and travel with the team to help Olivo with his defense.

"We felt like it was in everybody's best interests to give him a new lease on life," Bavasi said.

In return for Olivo, the Mariners got a catcher, Ojeda, 30, who hit .137 in 43 games in San Diego this season and was in Portland, where he was hitting .196 in 16 Pacific Coast League games, when the trade was made.

They also got a pitcher, Mateo, 24, who had a 3-4 record and a 3.14 ERA in 47 relief appearances at Double-A Mobile this season. Bavasi said Mateo would be assigned to the Mariners' Double-A team, San Antonio, in the Texas League.

The Giants also announced they had purchased the contract of Yamid Haad from Triple-A Fresno. He will report to the team on Sunday
    2007 BCS and 2009 BCS CHAMPS
    2006 & 2007 NCAA MENS BASKETBALL CHAMPS
    2008 & 2010 RAYS BASEBALL AMERICAN LEAGUE CHAMPS

Comment

Seattle Mariners: Veteran left-hander Jamie Moyer refused to be included in a trade to the Houston Astros on Saturday according to a published report on the Houston Chronicle's Web site.

Moyer has the right under the collective bargaining agreement to block a trade to the Astros, and chose to do so.

Moyer broke into the major leagues in 1986 and has a 201-148 record with a 4.16 ERA. Moyer is 9-3 this season with a 4.33 ERA in 21 starts, but sports a 6.79 ERA in 10 starts away from pitcher-friendly Safeco Field in Seattle.

The Chronicle reported Astros GM Tim Purpura hasn't given up on a deal to find a pitcher to help in the rotation or the bullpen.

"There could still be some minor or lesser situations that could clear," Purpura said.

Boston Red Sox: Starting pitcher Matt Clement threw off a mound Saturday for the for the first time since being struck by a line drive last Tuesday in Tampa Bay, the Boston Globe reported.

"He's politicking to pitch Tuesday," Red Sox manager Terry Francona told the Globe. "That's not going to happen. He looks much more clear-eyed today, he's bouncing around."

Frabncona said Clement will likely rejoin the rotation Thursday against Kansas City.

Clement was carted from the field and taken to a hospital near Tropicana Field after Carl Crawford's liner struck him in the right side of the head, just behind the ear, in the third inning of a game the Red Sox went on to win 10-9 in 10 innings.

Foulke getting closer to return
      Closer Keith Foulke told the Boston Globe he is on or ahead of schedule as he tries to work his way off the disabled list.

Foulke last pitched on July 4 and had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee July 6. He said he has no interest in any minor-league rehab time.

"I won't go on any rehab stints," Foulke told the Globe. "They didn't have to repair anything, like tendons, so it's not going to do anything to go pitch in Pawtucket.

"If I do well, it's Triple-A. If I get beat up, then you got beat up. I'll go through my bullpens and I'll be back in the big leagues. I'm not going to mess with that. It's just a waste of time. Not a waste of time, a waste of pitches."

Foulke will not set a target date for his return and won't accompany the team to Minnesota next weekend , but, "after that, I'll be pretty close to being back in the lineup," Foulke told the Globe.

Toronto Blue Jays: Blue Jays right-hander Roy Halladay is expected to return to the mound next Sunday, less than a month after breaking a bone in his left leg.

After doing some mobility drills this weekend, it was decided that Halladay isn't ready to pitch early next week. He had hoped to pitch Tuesday against the Chicago White Sox, but is now scheduled to return next Sunday against the New York Yankees.

"I think Tuesday was lofty," Halladay said. "The running has been a little slow. It's been getting better but I'd like to be able to get to close to full strength before I can get back."

The 2003 AL Cy Young Award winner was struck in the left shin by a line drive off the bat of Texas' Kevin Mench on July 8. He is 12-4 with a 2.41 ERA and was expected to be the American League's starter in the All-Star Game before he was injured.

The original prognosis had him missing 4-6 weeks. He is still ahead of schedule.

"We just want to make sure he can move around on the field," Toronto manager John Gibbons said.

St. Louis Cardinals: Left fielder Reggie Sanders, on the disabled list retroactive to July 16, told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch he is still experiencing discomfort in his left ribs and lower right leg more than two weeks after he and center fielder Jim Edmonds collided in the first game following the All-Star break.

"There's definitely still something there," Sanders said of both injuries in the Post-Dispatch story. "With the ribs, I'm at least past the point where it was painful if I rolled over in bed. I'm able to sleep. That's nice."

Sanders went with the team on its its West Coast trip, but the paper reported he won't be cleared to do any strenuous activity until he is examined and X-rayed upon the club's return to St. Louis, making his likely return at closer to the six-week maximum set by the Cardinals.

New York Yankees: A 13-year-old boy who disappeared from a men's room in Yankee Stadium had run away and was found in Queens early Sunday, police said.

Detective John Sweeney, a police spokesman, declined to elaborate on how or why Majelique Lewis ended up in another borough.

Hundreds of police and security guards searched for Majelique, of Stamford, Conn., after he disappeared during a trip to the bathroom during the seventh-inning stretch of a Yankees-Angels game in the Bronx on Friday night.

Police said the boy was found in front of a building in Queens early Sunday in good health. He was returned to his parents, Sweeney said.

Washington Nationals: The team optioned outfielder Marlon Byrd to Triple-A New Orleans, replacing him on the roster with outfielder Matt Cepicky.

Byrd hit .243 with 16 RBI in 51 games with the Nationals, and was mired in a 6-for-42 slump in July. He had gotten just seven at-bats in the past two weeks with Washington, which acquired him in a trade with Philadelphia on May 14.

Cepicky hit .278 in seven games earlier this season with Washington. In 96 games with New Orleans this year, Cepicky hit .272 with 14 home runs and 66 RBI.

Texas Rangers: The team recalled left-hander C.J. Wilson from Double-A Frisco on Sunday and optioned first baseman Adrian Gonzalez to Triple-A Oklahoma.

Wilson started Sunday's game against the Toronto Blue Jays. He went 0-2 with an 8.78 ERA for Texas earlier this season.

Gonzalez hit .229 with three home runs and six RBI in 13 games.

Comment

W>sox Get Geoff Blum

Comment

Working...
        X