I told you so

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I told you so

I never like saying that to anyone because it's after the fact and it implies that I know more than someone else. And that's simply not true!! So when I do say: "I told you so"; please know that I'm saying it with all due respect.

For anyone that thought the Yankees made out well on the trade that got them Esteban Loaiza in exchange for Jose Contreras: only time will tell but I think the Yankees made a bad move!
    What did the Yankees see in this guy (Loaiza)??

This was my response to Frank White when he brought the subject up:
    Frank,
    GL w/ your White Sox pick tonight!

However, I would like to debate your argument that states the White Sox made the "bonehead move of the year" by trading Esteban Loaiza for Jose Contreras.

It was time for Esteban Loaiza to go if the White Sox could find a taker, and they did. According to Loaiza, when he was at the All-Star game, Giambi and Torre kept telling him that they wanted him. So I guess we know why Torre picked him instead of Buerhle. Loaiza did not deserve to be an all star this year!!!!!!!!

The White Sox manager (Ozzie Guillen) remarked about Loaiza's performance at the ASG and how he was throwing in the 90's, but so far on the Sox this year, he had only been throwing in the 80's. Ozzie mentioned that he wanted to start seeing that same "Loaiza" on the Sox and not just on the All-Star team.

Kenny Williams (Sox GM) has wanted Contreras since about May, and everyone says he has a great up-side, so we'll see. At least, now, if Contreras pitches the way everyone thinks he can, the Sox will have a very solid rotation for the next few years. So even if things don't work out this year, with some other adjustments, this White Sox team should still be good for next year and beyond.

As a Sox fan, I was REALLY hoping the Sox could unload Esteban and now they did!!
    The Sox made out OK. I am certainly happy they got something for Loaiza now rather then just let him go (with nothing in return) at the end of the year.

I have no idea what Torre sees in Esteban Loaiza but he hand picked him to the all star team this year (2004).
    And now they trade for him??

I believe Esteban Loaiza is an average pitcher that had one GREAT, fluke year in 2003. Earlier this season, I looked at his career stats and was surprised to find that Loaiza has ALWAYS given up a ton of hits and his ERA has ALWAYS been mediocre. 2003 is the only exception. In 2004, he reverted back to the pitcher he has ALWAYS been!

I know that Contreras has not performed anything like the Yankees expected so I understand their wanting to unload him.

No way was this a bonehead move by the White Sox. In my opinion, it is much to the contrary.

Sincerely,
    Bennojd

=============================

Frank White
    N.O.T.O.R.I.O.U.S.

goy pt. 2
    very tacky to do another GOY but.....i THINK this may be the right call.

Of all the Pitching deals at the deadline, which was like 3 haha, Jose Contreas may have gotten the better end of the stick. It was the bonehead move of the year by the WhiteSox to deal Loaiza for Contreas, I see no value in that move. It was made very clear by the Yankees months ago they wanted no more parts of Jose. You look at all the other deals, pitchers facing free agency on losing teams that wanted younger or cheaper players. Tampa got a top pitching prospect, the Pirates dealt someone they basically wouldnt be able to afford and would just leave anyway, the Mariners dealt a top tier pitcher that couldnt get any run support and knew their season was a wash. The Marlins dealt a decling Brad Penny for a nasty bullpen pitcher and one of the top cathers in the game.

Looking at every deal, Contreas was the only starting pitcher dealt from a 1st place team. What 1st place team deals a starting pitcher? The only team that can afford to, the Yankees. This wasn't about money or contracts with the Yankees. It was about getting the best possible player they could. What a fuckin slap in the face to Jose Contreas.

Remember Jose Mania?? When he went to the Yanks instead of the BoSox? Now he gets dealt for a guy who barely made 5th starter on the WhiteSox. Loiza has been money since making the WhiteSox, but since when do stud pitchers develop from the 5th starter?

A born Ace, Jose Contreas will make new life with his new team, starting tonight against a poor KC team.

WhiteSox -115

GL!
    Last edited by Bennojd; 08-09-2004, 02:11 PM.
    Quote from author Peter Marshall: "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for everything."

I think its much too soon to say who got the better of the deal.
    I don't think the Red Sox care what team Contreras pitches for, as they always ham mer him;as far as I am concerned ,one or two pitching performances does not prove a heck of a lot.
    I remember several years ago Rob Deere, when he was first traded to the Red sox, was great for the first couple of games and that was it.
    Just of late Orlando Cabrera got a homerun in his first time a bat for Sox, and then went somethlng like 2-22.
    Last edited by savage1; 08-09-2004, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Savage1:

Your point is well taken!
      Only time will tell; and who knows, maybe both pitchers will come into their own w/ their new teams.

I just could not believe (and still can't believe) that the Yankees picked up Loaiza!! I didn't think the White Sox would ever find a taker for him!! New York was probably thinking that he is a veteran that could help them right NOW.
      I don't know why Loaiza was a "different" pitcher last year for the ONLY time in his long career. But whatever he had last year is gone.

Monetarily, the Yankees made out as they unloaded a $9 million dollar pitcher for a $4 million dollar pitcher. But I don't think Loaiza will fill the performance gap in their starting rotation like the Yankees would have hoped.

As for Contreras, a question mark still remains as to whether or not he will ever live up to his billing. The White Sox certainly took a risk with Jose!!

Sincerely,
      Bennojd
      Last edited by Bennojd; 08-09-2004, 03:06 PM.
      Quote from author Peter Marshall: "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for everything."

Comment

congrats you told me so......i hope that made your day :confused:
        My grandmama' daughter ain't raised no sucker

Comment

Originally posted by Frank White
          congrats you told me so......i hope that made your day :confused:

Comment

Frank:

This was not directed to you personally!

I respect your opinion and would never come back and give you a cheap shot that way. You are not wrong and I am not right. That's not what this was about at all!

This is ONLY a topic of discussion that was actually meant for the Yankees because I don't understand why Torre hand-picked Loaiza to the all star game when he didn't belong there. And then they traded for him?? I don't get it.

I was only stating that I've been watching Loaiza pitch all season for the White Sox and he IS brutal so why would the Yankees trade for him?

I'm sorry if I offended you; I REALLY didn't mean to!

Sincerely,
            Bennojd
            Last edited by Bennojd; 08-09-2004, 03:49 PM.

Comment

BigMike
              Philly Sports Guy

I'm glad you found it amusing, BIG GUY.

Comment

im not offended im a little shocked someone made a thread about me to tell me so. thats it.

hey i dont give a shit, you were right, i was wrong. if you go back to that orginal thread you will see where i said i may have to rethink my views.

its all in fun, whitesox won like i said they would so its all good in the hood
                My grandmama' daughter ain't raised no sucker

Comment

Frank:

In retrospect,
                  I should never have included you (or your comments) in this thread.
                  I should have just stated my opinion without your input.
                  I only included you in order to put my argument in proper context.

Frank,
                  I didn't start this thread about you or to "tell you so" or to tell you anything else.
                  I just wanted to talk about Esteban Loaiza and his trade to the Yankees. The topic entered my mind when I saw that he was getting hit pretty hard today against the Blue Jays.

I should have titled the thread: Yankees, why the hell did you trade for Loaiza?

Comment

Personally I am more concerned with the dumb trade of Nomar for two so-so players.
                    If there was no such thing as a wildcard or Sox admitted they were throwing in the towel for this season, maybe I could see it.
                    For this team however the future is this season, and this in my view was NOT the kind of move to win a WS.
                    Its really to bad that part of the provisions of the trade did not include that the Cubs take Francona and at least 1/2 of his salary.
                    Perhaps Cubs could make him a bench coach or something and at the same time free up some money for Red Sox to find a real manager, not one with a lifetime .440 wp, one to replace the current dolt, who knows nothing about managing, psychology, providing leadership or inspiration;in the true sense of the word "respect"Francona commands about as much from his players as a bettor has for a service which claims it wins 99% of the time.
                    Last edited by savage1; 08-09-2004, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Bennojd...............great move for the Yankees. Here are my reasons:

1) We unloaded money.
                      2) Loaiza is just are 5th starter. He is just here to fill out the rotation for the rest of the year, until Mussina gets back. I personally think he is a decent 5th starter.
                      3) Contreas was never going to pitch well here. Too much pressure on him at all times and he does not have the head for it.

As a Yankee fan I couldn't be happier. Although Contreas has great stuff, he has no head. Put him in a tight spot and he implodes.

Savage............I know you are a huge Red Sox fan. I understand how you feel because I don't think most outside of Boston understand how important Nomar was to the Red Sox fans. It would be like the Yanks trading Jeter. However, Nomar gave all indications that he was NOT going back to Boston next year so Theo had to act. I think the Sox made out well considering they were going to lose him for nothing. Add in the fact that Nomar's heart didn't seem to be in it.

Comment

Tony-what you said was true, but as stated the future is NOW, and I would rather take my chances with him in big games down the stretch than the two guys they got.

Comment

savage

I totally agree with you but you are not going to hear me complain!
                          best of luck to your sox

Comment

Tony Vegas:

You bring up some excellent points from a Yankees fan point of view but when did the New York Yankees ever care about money?

Weren't they looking into the possibility of obtaining Randy Johnson?

I know the Yankees will probably let Loaiza go after the season because he's in the last year of his contract. Also, like you said, they do have Mussina coming back next year.

I still think New York could have got a more valuable pitcher in exchange for Contreras. Loaiza IS NOT the answer they needed at 5th starter to finish the season. Esteban is not the same pitcher that he was in 2003 and he could actually hinder their hopes of a World Series more than Contreras would have.
                            They could have gotten an average pitcher from anyone and that's what Loaiza is.

I do agree that Contreras needed to leave New York just as I think Loaiza needed to part from Chicago.

MAYBE THIS TRADE HELPS BOTH TEAMS?? We will see as time goes on.

Tony,
                            Thanks for your input! That's all I wanted when I started this thread.

Sincerely,
                            Bennojd

Comment

Savage1:

I know that the Houston Astros wish the Cubs never traded for NOMAR. If that trade didn't happen, they might have had a fighting chance against the Expos this past weekend.
                              Alex Gonzalez (the former Cubs shortstop) made a statement as he pounded the ball all series long for his new team, the Expos.

Ever since this trade happened, the Chicago media has mentioned Nomar's first and last name so many times, I could recite it in my sleep.

I'm hoping that the Cubs don't get very far if they make the playoffs. Otherwise, I'm sure that they will say Nomar was the one player who sparked it all.

Sincerely,
                              Bennojd
                              Last edited by Bennojd; 08-09-2004, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X