Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bum's 2017 College Football Picks-Trends-News Etc. !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With Pumphrey gone, Penny starts cashing in with Aztecs
    September 12, 2017

SAN DIEGO (AP) Rashaad Penny returned to San Diego State for his senior season because he saw how much fun D.J. Pumphrey had during his final season.

Although Penny won't get anywhere near Pumphrey's NCAA career rushing record of 6,405 yards, he won't have any problem in making a name for himself thanks to a rollicking start to the season.

After running for 197 yards and two touchdowns in a season-opening victory against FCS UC Davis, Penny went off for 353 all-purpose yards in a 30-20 win at Arizona State .

He scored on a 95-yard run, a 99-yard kickoff return and a 33-yard reception.

Penny leads FBS in rushing yards per game, 206.5, and all-purpose yards per game, 284.

''You only get these chances once,'' Penny said. ''I knew my chance was coming later, so that's why I stayed around. Knowing D.J., he had fun, and I had fun just being behind him, because I was still the second back, I still got carries, I still played. So it was fun and exciting.

''Coming back and being the featured guy is what I wanted, just to show the city of San Diego that I can probably do the same things as D.J. did, and maybe even do them better, because that's something he wanted, me doing it better.''

San Diego, of course, lost the NFL's Chargers to Los Angeles. Penny and the Aztecs (2-0) hope to fill the gap. They host No. 19 Stanford (1-1) on Saturday night.

Penny's 413 yards rushing through two games are the most to open an SDSU season since Marshall Faulk had 519 in his sophomore season of 1992. Penny is 34 yards ahead of Pumphrey's school-record pace set last season, when he finished with 2,133.

''I thought he showed everybody the kind of ability he has,'' coach Rocky Long said. ''Last year he was the backup so nobody got to see that much of him and now they're getting to see that much of him and they're seeing how good he is.''

SDSU snapped a 19-game losing streak against Pac-12/10 teams, and ended a 28-game road losing streak to Pac-12/10 squads.

''He was the difference in the game,'' Long said. ''I think the two teams were evenly matched except we had him and they didn't have Rashaad Penny.''

While Pumphrey was garnering all the attention last year, Penny still had a nice season. He rushed for 1,018 yards and 11 touchdowns, helping SDSU become the first team in FBS history to have a 2,000-yard and 1,000-yard rusher in the same season. He also returned two kickoffs for touchdowns and was named the Mountain West Conference Special Teams Player of the Year for the second straight season.

On Monday, Penny became the first Aztecs player to be named the Walter Camp National FBS Offensive Player of the Week. He also became the first player in the MWC's 19-year history to win two of the three weekly awards, for offense and special teams.

''I think my teammates are more excited than I am in getting national recognition,'' said Penny, who's from the Los Angeles suburb of Norwalk. ''I'm taking it slowly. I've never been in this situation before so I don't know what to do or expect. These guys are more excited for me. I'm just thankful to have these guys along the way because these are guys that push me and get me better.''

Penny is 5-foot-11 and 220. Pumphrey, now with the Philadelphia Eagles, is 5-9, 170.

''There's a big difference in their styles,'' Long said. ''D.J. is a darter; Rashaad is a slasher.''

Long said NFL scouts told him last year that had Penny declared for the draft after his junior season, he would have gone higher than any other Aztecs. Guard Nico Siragusa went to Baltimore with the 16th pick in the fourth round and Pumphrey was taken 10 picks later.

What's it like for Penny when he breaks those long runs?

''You just always think about running past the guy with a different color jersey,'' he said. ''And when you're running, I look at the Megatron all the time just to see whoever's up there following me. And when I don't see anybody behind me I start to let it down a little bit.''

He probably meant Jumbotron, but the point is well-taken.

''It's fun,'' he said. ''You've got to thank the guys who are blocking for you. You can't thank them enough because that's who springs you open. I always tell them it's a race to the end zone. If it's a race and you want to win, you're going to win. That's how I see it.''
    Remember the 3 G's Gambling, Golf, Girls not in any particular order.....

Comment

• Minnesota felt at home on road against Oregon State
      September 12, 2017

After a lackluster 17-7 win over Buffalo at home in the season opener, Minnesota roared back with an impressive and memorable 48-14 triumph at Oregon State.

Before moving forward, it's good to look at one of the best road victories, particularly by margin, in recent years for a program headed by first-year coach P.J. Fleck.

The Gophers manhandled Oregon State on its home turf with an unrelenting running game. Minnesota threw only eight passes, compared to 58 rushing plays.

Quarterback Conor Rhoda impressed Fleck with his leadership and performance. He completed seven of his eight passes for 158 yards, while quarterback Demry Croft did not throw a pass, but he broke loose for a 64-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter.

"(Saturday) was the first time I watched Conor Rhoda control a football team," Fleck said. "(Rhoda) was going to his offensive line and communicating really well, running the game efficiently. At the end, draining the clock, milking the clock properly, keeping everybody calm."

Besides the big win, Fleck emphasized to his players before, during and after the Oregon State game to be more enthusiastic after a subdued showing on the sidelines against Buffalo.

Rhoda, in particular, was a big part of the cheering section, greeting players on the sidelines numerous times.

"The one thing about our culture: We ignore nothing," Fleck said. "Everything is coached, and nothing is ever slid by, like, 'It's OK,' because that will just fester."

The Gophers (2-0) return home to battle Middle Tennessee State (1-1). The Blue Raiders are coming off a 30-23 win over Syracuse after losing to Vanderbilt in their opener.

Rhoda, a fifth-year senior, was named the starting quarterback for Middle Tennessee State.

"We didn't ask him to do a ton in the pass game, but we needed to run the football," Fleck said of Rhoda. "He executed well. He led better than he ever has."

--QB Conor Rhoda played well for the second game in a row and was named the starter for the Middle Tennessee State game. Rhoda is the clear-cut leader in the two-quarterback battle, but nothing is set in stone right now.

--LB Jon Celestin had a team-high 10 tackles at Oregon State. His leadership and production is essential for a defense looking for an identity in the back seven.

--WR Tyler Johnson, who had a breakout season as a freshman, hauled in six receptions in the opener, and should be a bigger part of the offense as the quarterback situation becomes more settled.

--C Jared Weyler left last Saturday's game because of a lower leg injury. His status is unknown for Saturday's game.

Comment

• Pac-12 Beat: Conference test appears to be shortening games
        September 12, 2017

EUGENE, Ore. (AP) The Pac-12's test program to shorten games appears to be doing just that.

All non-conference games airing on the Pac-12 Network this season have reduced quarter breaks, while a few have fewer commercial breaks, too. Some games feature 15-minute halftimes.

In the 12 games so far that have been part of the pilot program, game time is down to 3:16, according to the league. Washington's 63-7 win over Montana last weekend lasted just 2:54. Last season, the Pac-12 averaged 3:26 per game.

Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott said that on the league's opening week, the test allowed fans watching at home to see all the game between Southern Utah and Oregon and the first play of Western Michigan at USC in a tight broadcasting window.

''My programming folks explained to us that wouldn't have happened if we hadn't implemented some of the initiatives. We would have missed the first series,'' Scott said. ''There are some things we're doing around the edges that we can control, around halftime, around commercial breaks, and speeding things up, both in terms of the mechanics and our policies.''

The Pac-12 is not alone. The SEC introduced a few similar new policies this season. The National Football Foundation highlighted game length as a ''point of emphasis'' this season, pointing out that average length at the FBS level rose from 3:08 in 2008 to 3:24 last season.

It is worth noting that the trend toward speedier offenses - which results in additional plays and touchdowns - has helped lengthen games. But a sneaky source of those added minutes is halftimes, where the 20-minute limit is sometimes stretched by things like on-field coach interviews. A new rule change allowed for coaches to shorten - but not lengthen - halftime by mutual agreement.

Television is a driving force. Scott noted that Week One included four back-to-back-to-back-to-back games on the Pac-12 Network.

''It's one of the reasons we like the idea of initiatives that speed up the game,'' Scott said.

In addition to making sure games fit into TV windows, the format is also designed to give viewers in the stadium a better experience, reducing those pesky ''TV timeouts'' for commercials - which will no doubt please Pacific Northwest fans sitting in the pouring rain this fall for the Pac-12 After Dark games.

Oregon State coach Gary Andersen likes the idea.

''Ultimately for me I'd like to see a football game be at three hours,'' Andersen said. ''I think that's plenty long for the kids that are involved.''

New Cal coach Justin Wilcox also supports the initiative: ''I'm for it. I think it's probably better for everybody to be more efficient during the game. ... I know for us the biggest impact will be at halftime. We've just got to be really organized and efficient in how we operate during that time.''

But Washington State coach Mike Leach disagreed.

''I've never had a problem with game length - games vary a little bit as far as how long they are and that's fine with me,'' he said. ''If it were up to me we'd leave the games alone and not mess with them.''

As for the details, the test is being implemented for 15 non-conference games involving league teams this season broadcast on the Pac-12 Network. The Pac-12's test shortens halftimes from 20 to 15 minutes for seven games. All games have quicker breaks at the quarters, and three games have fewer commercial breaks. Eight games will adhere to a '':01 kickoff time'' which seeks to keep opening kickoffs closer to the scheduled broadcast start.

The conference will collect feedback from fans and consult with its coaches, administrators and broadcast partners to evaluate the pilot program after the 2017 season.

Scott acknowledges the league is limited by the rules in what it can do.

''Some of the things are going to be done nationally, so we're working with representatives we've got on the competition committee and the NCAA football oversight committee, to examine the rules - clock management, keeping the clock running (and) not stopping so much,'' Scott said. ''But we'll see. It's a work in progress. But we're trying to be leaders.''

Comment

• K-State takes its act on the road
          September 12, 2017

Even after the Big 12 passed a resolution requiring its members to schedule at least one Power-5 opponent each season in nonconference play, Bill Snyder exercised caution.

The Wildcats are dipping their toes into the SEC, but in Vanderbilt, the Wildcats (2-0) will be facing an opponent generally predicted to finish last in the East Division.

Nonetheless, the game will be the first trip for Kansas State and is important to determine whether the No. 18 Wildcats have the goods to become an outside contender for the Big 12 crown.

The Wildcats are coming off two easy tune-ups, barely breaking a sweat in a 55-7 rout of Charlotte last Saturday. Free safety Kendall Adams became the first Wildcat since 1999 to score on both an interception and fumble return in the same game.

By the second half, Kansas State looked uninspired. Or, at least ready to face a stiffer challenge by taking on Vandy, which also stands 2-0 with wins against mediocre opposition.

Yet the Wildcats know what the SEC stands for.

"They have a lot of experience playing some of the top teams in the country," said sophomore running back Alex Barnes. "We want to be one of the top teams so we want to give them what they're used to."

That opportunity exists. Kansas State has looked flawless offensively through two games.

Quarterback Jesse Ertz has exploited openings in the passing game without having to rely constantly on his arm. The running game, although so-so in the opener, is capable of carrying the load after netting 304 yards against Charlotte.

"It's not a matter of wanting to establish the run as much as it is trying to find out what (opponents are) doing," Kansas State coach Bill Snyder said. "I was pleased with our ability to run the ball against schemes that are stacked against the run, and I thought we were reasonably productive with that."

While Barnes starts and was the main threat against Charlotte, gaining 99 yards on 16 rushes, the Wildcats' depth in the backfield includes Ertz, who added 76 yards on keepers.

A freshman, Mike McCoy, is essentially a fourth-stringer, yet had the most impressive carry when he leveled a Charlotte defender who got in his path on a 15-yard touchdown burst.

Vanderbilt held each of its first two opponents scoreless in the first half. Quarterback Kyle Shurmer completed 15 of 18 passes last week for 202 yards and four touchdowns against Alabama A&M.

The 42-0 victory marked the Commodores' first shutout since 2012 against Kentucky.

--FS Kendall Adams scored for the first time since high school by returning an interception 30 yards and a fumble 46 yards in the win over Charlotte. It marked the first time since 1999 that a Kansas State defender scored on two such returns in the same game. Beginning with that 1999 season, the Wildcats have 109 non-offensive touchdowns, tops in the country over that stretch.

--WR Isaiah Zuber represents some of the depth at receiver the Kansas State coaches raved about during the preseason. The sophomore was not listed on the depth chart for the Charlotte game, but led the Wildcats in receptions (seven) and yards (73). Both were career bests. So far, Cal transfer Carlos Strickland has not had the kind of impact some expected, contributing to Zuber's emergence.

--K Matthew McCrane is quietly moving up the Jayhawks' all-time chart. He booted two field goals against Charlotte to boost his career total to 40, which moved him into second place all-time at Kansas State behind Martin Gramatica (54). McCrane ranks first in Kansas State history with a .889 field goal percentage (40 of 45), which also ranks high nationally among active FBS kickers.

Comment

• No. 18 K-State matchup legitimate test for unbeaten Vandy
            September 12, 2017

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) Derek Mason has the Vanderbilt Commodores off to their first 2-0 start in his tenure, a perfect beginning that is about to be tested.

And how.

The Commodores host 18th-ranked Kansas State on Saturday night, and that's the first of four straight games against teams ranked in the Top 25 . After the Wildcats, Vanderbilt plays No. 1 Alabama on Sept. 23, then at No. 24 Florida before hosting 13th-ranked Georgia.

Mason insisted Tuesday he's only focused on Kansas State, a team he expects to finish in the Top 10 before this season ends.

''This is the main event,'' Mason said. ''I'll find out who my football team is when we line up on Saturday. ... For me, OK it's about focusing my attention. I mean Kansas State's got my full attention, they've got this team's attention. Now what we've got to make sure we prepare to play, and this team will be ready to go on Saturday.''

Vanderbilt beat the last ranked team that came into its stadium, ruining then-No. 24 Tennessee's bid for the Southeastern Conference's Eastern Division title and a berth in the league title game. A victory Saturday night would make the Commodores, who received two points in voting for this week's Top 25, 3-0 for the first time since 2011 with their fifth straight home win.

Mason said he is between 65 percent and 70 percent in understanding where his Commodores are right now. He noted he had to push them through practices the past two seasons, but not this year.

''It's one thing to be a football team and it's learning how to win,'' Mason said. ''It's another thing to be a football team that's learning how to handle success, and what does that look like? So I mean we're trying to do both at the same time. So I'm gauging it week to week. I can't gauge it like any more than that.''

The Commodores bring in the nation's best defense when backed up inside their own 20 and are second nationally holding opponents to just three points a game after a 42-0 shutout of Alabama A&M . That will be tested by the Wildcats of the Big 12 who have scored 55 points in each of their first two wins, including last week's 55-7 win over Charlotte .

Safety Ryan White compared Kansas State's physical style running the ball to Georgia and Florida. Asked if the Commodores relish a chance against a ranked, nonconference opponent, White made it clear they are used to that level of competition.

''We play in the SEC, so we play the best each and every week,'' White said.

Quarterback Kyle Shurmur has the Commodores ranked third in the SEC and 45th through two games averaging 261.5 yards. He already has seven touchdown passes after having nine in 13 games last season. Shurmur says the Commodores have talked about respectability and having success this season.

''We started off 2-0, and now it's time to see if we can continue it,'' Shurmur said. ''As he (Mason) talked, the repeatability is the biggest thing just to try and go 1-0 this week.''

Comment

• Auburn offense struggles to score against good team - again
              September 12, 2017

AUBURN, Ala. (AP) Gus Malzahn gets why Auburn fans are so frustrated with the offense, which once again looked overmatched against top competition.

New quarterback, new offensive coordinator, same poor results.

The 15th-ranked Tigers (1-1) generated just 117 yards and two field goals in a loss to No. 3 Clemson Saturday night, the fewest yards of Malzahn's college career as an offensive coordinator or head coach. It was also the fewest by an Auburn offense listed in on line records dating back to 1996.

''From a fan standpoint, the frustration that they have that I fully understand is, the way that we finished the season last year and the frustration and then Saturday night looked the same,'' Malzahn said. ''So, I get that from that standpoint. I will say this, we are going to improve. We're going to be a good offense, that is for sure.''

The Tigers' initial optimism centered on the new pairing of first-year offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey and transfer quarterback Jarrett Stidham . Then Stidham was sacked 11 times against Clemson and the offense went nowhere after a promising opening drive.

It continued a recent trend of struggles against Top 10 opponents. The Tigers have averaged 12.6 points and 232 yards in their last five such games, all losses.

Now, Lindsey is moving from the sideline to the press box for games, which is where he presided over the offense at Arizona State. ''That's really where his comfort zone is,'' Malzahn said.

Offensive line coach Herb Hand is coming down to the field starting Saturday against Mercer.

Auburn's backfield hasn't been full strength in either game. Kamryn Pettway was suspended against Georgia Southern and Kerryon Johnson missed the last six quarters with a right hamstring injury.

Stidham and the passing game haven't gotten going either. The Tigers don't have a pass play longer than 23 yards and young receivers like Nate Craig-Myers and Kyle Davis haven't produced much yet.

Malzahn said growing pains are a factor.

''I think the fact we've got a new coordinator, we've got a new quarterback, we've got a couple of new guys up front, it's just going to take a little time,'' he said. ''Those guys do understand the areas they need to improve on. Like I said after the game, we are going to be a good offense. You'll see that group improve each week.''

Malzahn said he didn't expect any changes to the offensive line. Left tackle Prince Tega Wanogho and left guard Mike Horton are new starters.

Darius James moved from left tackle to right tackle.

Then there's Stidham, who hadn't played in nearly two years before the opener against Georgia Southern .

He has passed for 264 yards and two touchdowns with one interception. Auburn has also allowed 14 sacks, tied for most nationally.

''He was put in some tough spots,'' Malzahn said of Stidham. ''He was hit quite a bit. Obviously he was harassed in the passing game, but I thought he played with courage. I thought he fought, and I thought he played extremely hard.''

Comment

• Penn State, Franklin offer a little payback
                September 12, 2017

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- In a way, this game is a thank you, from Penn State to Georgia State's 8-year-old football program.

The Panthers (0-1) first became intertwined with the Nittany Lions when they brought Penn State coach James Franklin and members of his staff in for a satellite camp shortly after Franklin arrived in 2014.

It gave Franklin a chance to check out some of the local talent, and riled up a few SEC coaches in the process.

The schools will meet again when the Panthers make a trip to Happy Valley to play in one of college football's most iconic stadiums, under the lights, a setting usually reserved for tilts between the Nittany Lions and other college football bluebloods.

Lately, those lights have shined on the explosive Nittany Lions, who look primed to chase another Big Ten championship.

The Panthers, who finished ninth in the Sun Belt Conference last season, are just the final stepping stone to that path that starts next week at Iowa.

For Georgia State, this is a big step.

This will mark the ninth time the Panthers will have played a Power Five team. Although they're 0-8 in previous games, the Panthers scared then No. 9-Wisconsin last season, taking a 17-13 in the fourth quarter before the Badgers scored 10 unanswered points.

This Penn State team believes it can put opponents away long before that, however.

"As long as we're winning the game, the game's on us," linebacker Jason Cabinda said. "That's kind of the mindset that we took."

When asked about scheduling non-Power Five teams on Tuesday, Franklin said opponents have to offer a unique mix.

--RB Saquon Barkley has carried the ball 28 times for 260 yards with three touchdowns through two games. He's also the team's No. 2 receiver by volume with seven catches for 99 yards and a score.

--TE Mike Gesicki is enjoying the best run of his career and might be the hottest tight end in the nation. The senior has 16 catches for 230 yards and seven touchdowns in his last five games.

--LB Jason Cabinda had eight tackles, four of the solos, against Pitt.

--S Marcus Allen was all over the field against the Panthers. Allen was Penn State's leading tackler with 12, including nine solo.

--CB Amani Oruwariye left last week's game with an undisclosed injury. He is questionable this week.

--WR DaeSean Hamilton needs 12 catches to surpass Deon Butler's 179 career receptions and become Penn State's all-time leader in that category.

--T Andrew Nelson returned from a knee injury that cost him the last nine games.

"I have strong feelings about scheduling," Franklin said. It's something that me and (athletic director) Sandy (Barbour) spend a lot of time talking about and discussing.

"We're kind of looking at how the playoff system kind of played out last year. You kind of got a bunch of different scenarios to factor in."

One, they need to have enough in the tank to test Penn State's players. Two, they need to be an opponent the Nittany Lions can theoretically finish off quickly in order to get key players rest before the grind of Big Ten play begins.

Penn State will look to do just that and continue to play its three- and four-deep players with a big cushion on Saturday.

Comment

• Can Illini run with the Bulls?
                  September 12, 2017

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. -- The Fighting Illini of Illinois admitted they were insulted before last week's game because they were 6½-point underdogs against Conference USA opponent Western Kentucky.

Illinois went out and whipped the Hilltoppers on both sides of the line to earn a 20-7 win.

On Friday night, when Illinois visits No. 22 South Florida in Tampa, they will be underdogs by more than two touchdowns. There is no need for it to be insulted by this line.

The Bulls are deeper, more experienced and boast more playmakers.

This is also the first road game for the Illinois, which has only nine seniors and 25 upperclassmen on the roster.

It's unrealistic to expect them to play like a seasoned team in this game, but there's no question they gained confidence and a touch of swagger from last week's outcome.

"One of our goals for our season was to start 3-0, and now we have a chance to do that," Illinois coach Lovie Smith said. "We're in a pretty good position, exactly where we wanted to be. It was good getting that win."

If the Illini are to pull off what would be a major upset, they could do a lot worse than replicating the formula that worked so well against Western Kentucky.

Illinois ran the ball and stopped the run, allowing only six yards on the ground while getting 111 yards from freshman running back Mike Epstein.

Special teams play was solid.

Chase McLaughlin kicked two field goals and punter Blake Hayes compensated for a lack of distance by preventing the Hilltoppers from breaking any big returns.

The passing game could have been better, and nine penalties for 95 yards runs counter to Smith's philosophy of few flags, but the final result was nothing about which to quibble.

This was the kind of feel-good win the program hasn't had many of since coach Ron Zook was canned following the 2011 season. There will be rough patches this year, but there is at least a reference point, and for Illinois, that's a real starting point.

"One of the things we've talked about is being consistently good throughout, and we need to be able to show that more often," Smith said.

--QB Chayce Crouch again impressed few with his passing skills, hitting 14 of 25 throws for only 107 yards against a Western Kentucky team which allowed more than 300 yards to an FCS foe in its opener. Crouch will have to make more throws this week against South Florida, which figures to be tougher to run against than the Hilltoppers. Averaging less than eight yards per completion won't cut it.

--RB Mike Epstein has needed less than two full games to become this team's focal point offensively. Epstein showed all the attributes a good back needs against Western Kentucky, going for 111 yards on 21 carries. He ran with patience when it was needed, displayed burst when required and constantly ran north-to-south.

--DE Bobby Roundtree offered the kind of pass rush that will really help the Illini's version of the Tampa 2 thrive, sacking the quarterback twice and forcing a fumble in the win over Western Kentucky. At 6-5 and 245 pounds, the freshman from Largo, Fla., was a reason why the Hilltoppers' highly-touted passing game never managed any traction. Corraling South Florida QB Quinton Flowers might be a tougher task.

Comment

• Rhoda named full-time QB, Croft disciplined for Minnesota
                    September 12, 2017

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck spent all offseason and the first two weeks of the season waiting for one of his two quarterbacks to take charge, show some leadership and win the starting job.

Conor Rhoda took a big step forward with a poised and efficient performance in a convincing win over Oregon State last weekend. And Demry Croft may have put the uncertainty to rest completely with his conduct off the field.

Fleck named Rhoda the full-time starter on Tuesday, the same day he announced Croft would not be with the team on Saturday against Middle Tennessee State because of disciplinary reasons. Fleck declined to say specifically what Croft had done to merit the discipline, but the first-year Golden Gophers coach did not mince words when expressing his disappointment in Croft's actions.

''If you do not do the right things academically, athletically, socially, spiritually, if you do not uphold the high, high expectations of our culture on and off the field, you will not play,'' Fleck said. ''And it does not matter who you are.''

Rhoda was one week away from starting the job hunt for a position in medical sales when Fleck was hired to replace Tracy Claeys. Fleck called Rhoda the morning after his hiring and convinced the quarterback to return for his fifth year and compete with Croft for the job.

Rhoda and Croft did little to distinguish themselves during spring practice or fall camp, so Fleck decided to platoon them at the start of the season. They shared the duties during wins over Buffalo and Oregon State, a game in which Rhoda completed 7 of 8 passes for 158 yards and a touchdown.

Croft did not play for much of the second half against the Beavers after losing a fumble in the first half. He entered late in the 48-14 blowout and rushed for a 64-yard touchdown late in the game, but Fleck pulled the plug on him three days later. Croft has not been dismissed from the team, but it remains unclear just how long he will be away.

''We have our own team rules, but the biggest rule we have is do the right thing,'' Fleck said. ''If you do the right thing, you never have to worry about anything.''

Seth Green will be Rhoda's backup on Saturday with Croft away.

Fleck made it clear that Rhoda won the job more than Croft lost it, saying he was pleased with the senior's steady leadership and ability to bounce back from mistakes.

''He's an incredible story and he's finally separated himself leadership-wise,'' Fleck said. ''He did that the first week.''

Comment

• NCAAF opening line report: Defending champs take on Heisman favorite in Week 3

"After opening Clemson -3, the number quickly moved to -4 before settling back to Louisville plus a field goal."

College football heads into Week 3 trying to deal with the effects of Hurricane Irma. The Miami-Florida State showdown has already been postponed until Oct. 7, and the Tennessee-Florida clash could be affected as well.

We check in on the opening lines with Dave Mason, brand manager for offshore sportsbook BetOnline.ag.

No. 2 Clemson Tigers at No. 14 Louisville Cardinals (+3)

Defending national champion Clemson (2-0 SU and ATS) held off Auburn on Saturday with a 14-6 victory as a 6-point home chalk. That came after a 56-3 Week 1 bashing of Kent State as a 38-point favorite at home.

Reigning Heisman Trophy winner Lamar Jackson has helped the Cardinals’ offense put up a lot of points the first two weeks. Louisville edged Purdue 35-28 laying a hefty 25.5 points in Week 1 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, then topped North Carolina 47-35 Saturday to narrowly cover as an 11.5-point fave.

“We are expecting this to be the biggest bet game of the weekend,” Mason said. “After opening Clemson -3, the number quickly moved to -4 before settling back to Louisville plus a field goal. Jackson’s high-powered offense will be put to the test against a Clemson defense that has yet to give up a touchdown.”

No. 23 Tennessee Volunteers at No. 25 Florida Gators (-7)

This SEC contest, set for 3:30 p.m. ET Saturday, is still in play, but could end up moving from Gainesville, depending on how the hurricane plays out over the next couple of days. Or it could join Miami-Florida State in getting postponed.

Tennessee is out of the gate at 2-0 SU, but has failed to cash in either game. The Vols opened with a 42-41 double-overtime victory against Georgia Tech as a 4-point favorite at a quasi-neutral site, the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta. On Saturday, Tennessee dumped Indiana State 42-7, but fell short of covering the 37.5-point spread at home.

Florida’s Week 2 game at home against Northern Colorado was canceled due to Irma. The Gators (0-1 SU and ATS) opened the season at AT&T Stadium in Dallas, losing to Michigan 33-17 as a 4.5-point underdog.

“Early bettors hit Tennessee right from the get-go, quickly moving Florida from 7-point favorites to -5,” Mason said. “Even though they are coming off a bye (due to the cancellation), the Gators’ disappointing Week 1 loss to Michigan is still fresh on the bettors’ minds.”

Texas Longhorns at Southern California Trojans (-16.5)

Southern Cal had much less trouble with Stanford in Week 2 than it had with Western Michigan in Week 1, yet won both games by 18 points. The Trojans (2-0 SU, 1-1 ATS) rolled past Stanford 42-24 Saturday giving 3.5 points at home.

Texas suffered a stunning 51-41 home loss to Maryland as an 18-point chalk in Week 1. The Longhorns (1-1 SU and ATS) found the perfect remedy in Mountain West foe San Jose State, rumbling to a 56-0 win as a 25.5-point home favorite behind backup QB Sam Ehlinger. Starter Shane Buechele is still recovering from a bruised throwing shoulder suffered in the loss to the Terrapins.

“USC was one of the biggest Week 2 winners for the house,” Mason said, while noting the elephant in the room for this 8:30 p.m. ET Week 3 matchup. “Though there are still questions on who will be under center for the Longhorns, just 30 percent of the early bettors are on the Trojans.”

No. 9 Wisconsin Badgers at Brigham Young Cougars (+13.5)

Wisconsin (2-0 SU, 1-1 ATS) wasn’t exactly impressive in Week 2 against Florida Atlantic, but it was enough to get the job done. The Badgers won 31-14, falling miles short as a 34.5-point chalk, and now they’ll face a team from Utah for the second time in three weeks, albeit this time on the road. Wisconsin drubbed Utah State in Week 1.

Brigham Young (1-2 SU) hasn’t cashed this season, even in its opener against Portland State – an unimpressive 20-6 victory laying 35 points at home. The Cougars followed with a 27-0 loss to LSU as a 15-point pup in New Orleans and a 19-13 home setback to Utah getting 4.5 points Saturday.

“Top-10 Wisconsin opened as 13.5-point road favorites against a BYU team scoring just 11 points per game,” Mason said. “I’m very surprised that 77 percent of the early bettors took BYU and the points, especially considering the Cougars’ 0-3 ATS record. I expect that to change and am confident we will be BYU fans come kickoff.”

Comment

• NCAAF
                        Long Sheet

Thursday, September 14

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW MEXICO (1 - 1) at BOISE ST (1 - 1) - 9/14/2017, 8:00 PM
                        Top Trends for this game.
                        BOISE ST is 133-97 ATS (+26.3 Units) in all games since 1992.
                        BOISE ST is 133-97 ATS (+26.3 Units) in all lined games since 1992.
                        BOISE ST is 81-57 ATS (+18.3 Units) when playing with 6 or less days rest since 1992.
                        BOISE ST is 0-6 ATS (-6.6 Units) in home games over the last 2 seasons.
                        BOISE ST is 0-6 ATS (-6.6 Units) in home lined games over the last 2 seasons.
                        BOISE ST is 0-6 ATS (-6.6 Units) in home games in games played on turf over the last 2 seasons.

Head-to-Head Series History
                        BOISE ST is 1-1 against the spread versus NEW MEXICO over the last 3 seasons
                        BOISE ST is 1-1 straight up against NEW MEXICO over the last 3 seasons
                        1 of 2 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, September 15

MASSACHUSETTS (0 - 3) at TEMPLE (1 - 1) - 9/15/2017, 7:00 PM
                        TEMPLE is 12-4 ATS (+7.6 Units) in all games over the last 2 seasons.
                        TEMPLE is 12-4 ATS (+7.6 Units) in all lined games over the last 2 seasons.
                        TEMPLE is 11-3 ATS (+7.7 Units) in home games over the last 3 seasons.
                        TEMPLE is 11-3 ATS (+7.7 Units) in home lined games over the last 3 seasons.
                        TEMPLE is 8-1 ATS (+6.9 Units) when playing with 6 or less days rest over the last 2 seasons.
                        TEMPLE is 9-2 ATS (+6.8 Units) in games played on a grass field over the last 2 seasons.

MASSACHUSETTS is 1-0 against the spread versus TEMPLE over the last 3 seasons
                        TEMPLE is 1-0 straight up against MASSACHUSETTS over the last 3 seasons
                        1 of 1 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

ILLINOIS (2 - 0) at S FLORIDA (2 - 0) - 9/15/2017, 7:00 PM
                        ILLINOIS is 123-160 ATS (-53.0 Units) in all games since 1992.
                        ILLINOIS is 123-160 ATS (-53.0 Units) in all lined games since 1992.
                        S FLORIDA is 14-5 ATS (+8.5 Units) in games played on a grass field over the last 3 seasons.

There were no past matchups in this series during this time period.

ARIZONA (1 - 1) at UTEP (0 - 2) - 9/15/2017, 10:15 PM
                        ARIZONA is 11-26 ATS (-17.6 Units) as a favorite of 10.5 to 21 points since 1992.
                        ARIZONA is 3-11 ATS (-9.1 Units) in all games over the last 2 seasons.
                        ARIZONA is 3-11 ATS (-9.1 Units) in all lined games over the last 2 seasons.
                        ARIZONA is 54-87 ATS (-41.7 Units) as a favorite since 1992.
                        ARIZONA is 2-9 ATS (-7.9 Units) when playing with 6 or less days rest over the last 2 seasons.
                        UTEP is 1-8 ATS (-7.8 Units) in September games over the last 3 seasons.

Saturday, September 16

KENTUCKY (2 - 0) at S CAROLINA (2 - 0) - 9/16/2017, 7:30 PM
                        There are no Top Trends with records of significance that apply to this game.

KENTUCKY is 2-0 against the spread versus S CAROLINA over the last 3 seasons
                        KENTUCKY is 2-0 straight up against S CAROLINA over the last 3 seasons
                        2 of 2 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

KENT ST (1 - 1) at MARSHALL (1 - 1) - 9/16/2017, 6:30 PM

MARSHALL is 0-0 against the spread versus KENT ST over the last 3 seasons
                        MARSHALL is 1-0 straight up against KENT ST over the last 3 seasons
                        1 of 1 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

NOTRE DAME (1 - 1) at BOSTON COLLEGE (1 - 1) - 9/16/2017, 12:00 PM
                        NOTRE DAME is 14-28 ATS (-16.8 Units) in road games in September games since 1992.
                        BOSTON COLLEGE is 3-11 ATS (-9.1 Units) in home games over the last 3 seasons.
                        BOSTON COLLEGE is 3-11 ATS (-9.1 Units) in home lined games over the last 3 seasons.
                        BOSTON COLLEGE is 3-11 ATS (-9.1 Units) in home games in games played on turf over the last 3 seasons.

BOSTON COLLEGE is 1-0 against the spread versus NOTRE DAME over the last 3 seasons
                        NOTRE DAME is 1-0 straight up against BOSTON COLLEGE over the last 3 seasons

CONNECTICUT (1 - 0) at VIRGINIA (1 - 1) - 9/16/2017, 12:00 PM
                        CONNECTICUT is 2-11 ATS (-10.1 Units) in all games over the last 2 seasons.
                        CONNECTICUT is 2-11 ATS (-10.1 Units) in all lined games over the last 2 seasons.
                        CONNECTICUT is 5-14 ATS (-10.4 Units) when playing on a Saturday over the last 3 seasons.

VIRGINIA is 1-0 against the spread versus CONNECTICUT over the last 3 seasons
                        CONNECTICUT is 1-0 straight up against VIRGINIA over the last 3 seasons

AIR FORCE (1 - 0) at MICHIGAN (2 - 0) - 9/16/2017, 12:00 PM

COASTAL CAROLINA (1 - 0) at UAB (1 - 1) - 9/16/2017, 1:00 PM

CINCINNATI (1 - 1) at MIAMI OHIO (1 - 1) - 9/16/2017, 8:00 PM

MIAMI OHIO is 2-0 against the spread versus CINCINNATI over the last 3 seasons
                        CINCINNATI is 2-0 straight up against MIAMI OHIO over the last 3 seasons

GEORGIA ST (0 - 1) at PENN ST (2 - 0) - 9/16/2017, 7:30 PM
                        PENN ST is 8-0 ATS (+8.0 Units) after 2 or more consecutive straight up wins over the last 2 seasons.
                        GEORGIA ST is 10-2 ATS (+7.8 Units) in road games over the last 3 seasons.
                        GEORGIA ST is 10-2 ATS (+7.8 Units) in road lined games over the last 3 seasons.
                        GEORGIA ST is 19-7 ATS (+11.3 Units) in road games when playing on a Saturday since 1992.

IOWA ST (1 - 1) at AKRON (1 - 1) - 9/16/2017, 12:00 PM
                        IOWA ST is 29-50 ATS (-26.0 Units) in road games in games played on turf since 1992.

N CAROLINA (0 - 2) at OLD DOMINION (2 - 0) - 9/16/2017, 3:30 PM

OKLAHOMA ST (2 - 0) at PITTSBURGH (1 - 1) - 9/16/2017, 12:00 PM
                        OKLAHOMA ST is 84-55 ATS (+23.5 Units) as a favorite since 1992.
                        OKLAHOMA ST is 53-34 ATS (+15.6 Units) after 2 or more consecutive straight up wins since 1992.
                        PITTSBURGH is 0-6 ATS (-6.6 Units) in non-conference games over the last 2 seasons.

OKLAHOMA ST is 1-0 against the spread versus PITTSBURGH over the last 3 seasons
                        OKLAHOMA ST is 1-0 straight up against PITTSBURGH over the last 3 seasons

MIDDLE TENN ST (1 - 1) at MINNESOTA (2 - 0) - 9/16/2017, 3:30 PM

FLA INTERNATIONAL (1 - 1) at INDIANA (1 - 1) - 9/16/2017, 3:30 PM
                        FLA INTERNATIONAL is 0-6 ATS (-6.6 Units) in non-conference games over the last 2 seasons.

INDIANA is 2-0 against the spread versus FLA INTERNATIONAL over the last 3 seasons
                        INDIANA is 2-0 straight up against FLA INTERNATIONAL over the last 3 seasons

UCLA (2 - 0) at MEMPHIS (1 - 0) - 9/16/2017, 12:00 PM
                        UCLA is 13-27 ATS (-16.7 Units) in road games after 2 or more consecutive straight up wins since 1992.

N ILLINOIS (1 - 1) at NEBRASKA (1 - 1) - 9/16/2017, 12:00 PM
                        N ILLINOIS is 69-41 ATS (+23.9 Units) in road games since 1992.
                        N ILLINOIS is 69-41 ATS (+23.9 Units) in road lined games since 1992.
                        N ILLINOIS is 94-68 ATS (+19.2 Units) when playing on a Saturday since 1992.

BAYLOR (0 - 2) at DUKE (2 - 0) - 9/16/2017, 12:30 PM
                        BAYLOR is 0-7 ATS (-7.7 Units) when playing with 6 or less days rest over the last 2 seasons.

KANSAS (1 - 1) at OHIO U (1 - 1) - 9/16/2017, 2:00 PM
                        KANSAS is 121-156 ATS (-50.6 Units) in all games since 1992.
                        KANSAS is 121-156 ATS (-50.6 Units) in all lined games since 1992.
                        KANSAS is 72-108 ATS (-46.8 Units) as an underdog since 1992.
                        KANSAS is 45-77 ATS (-39.7 Units) in road games since 1992.
                        KANSAS is 45-77 ATS (-39.7 Units) in road lined games since 1992.
                        KANSAS is 113-147 ATS (-48.7 Units) when playing on a Saturday since 1992.
                        KANSAS is 92-125 ATS (-45.5 Units) when playing with 6 or less days rest since 1992.
                        KANSAS is 26-43 ATS (-21.3 Units) in road games in games played on turf since 1992.

OHIO U is 1-0 against the spread versus KANSAS over the last 3 seasons
                        OHIO U is 1-0 straight up against KANSAS over the last 3 seasons

UTAH ST (1 - 1) at WAKE FOREST (2 - 0) - 9/16/2017, 3:00 PM
                        UTAH ST is 1-8 ATS (-7.8 Units) when playing on a Saturday over the last 2 seasons.
                        WAKE FOREST is 3-13 ATS (-11.3 Units) as a favorite of 10.5 to 21 points since 1992.

CLEMSON (2 - 0) at LOUISVILLE (2 - 0) - 9/16/2017, 8:00 PM

LOUISVILLE is 1-1 against the spread versus CLEMSON over the last 3 seasons
                        CLEMSON is 2-0 straight up against LOUISVILLE over the last 3 seasons

C MICHIGAN (2 - 0) at SYRACUSE (1 - 1) - 9/16/2017, 3:30 PM
                        SYRACUSE is 14-3 ATS (+10.7 Units) against MAC opponents since 1992.
                        C MICHIGAN is 8-1 ATS (+6.9 Units) in September games over the last 3 seasons.

C MICHIGAN is 1-0 against the spread versus SYRACUSE over the last 3 seasons
                        SYRACUSE is 1-0 straight up against C MICHIGAN over the last 3 seasons

VIRGINIA TECH (2 - 0) at E CAROLINA (0 - 2) - 9/16/2017, 3:30 PM
                        E CAROLINA is 3-11 ATS (-9.1 Units) in all games over the last 2 seasons.
                        E CAROLINA is 3-11 ATS (-9.1 Units) in all lined games over the last 2 seasons.
                        E CAROLINA is 1-8 ATS (-7.8 Units) as an underdog over the last 2 seasons.
                        E CAROLINA is 3-11 ATS (-9.1 Units) when playing on a Saturday over the last 2 seasons.
                        E CAROLINA is 2-9 ATS (-7.9 Units) when playing with 6 or less days rest over the last 2 seasons.

E CAROLINA is 1-1 against the spread versus VIRGINIA TECH over the last 3 seasons
                        E CAROLINA is 1-1 straight up against VIRGINIA TECH over the last 3 seasons
                        2 of 2 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

WISCONSIN (2 - 0) at BYU (1 - 2) - 9/16/2017, 3:30 PM

PURDUE (1 - 1) at MISSOURI (1 - 1) - 9/16/2017, 4:00 PM
                        PURDUE is 9-1 ATS (+7.9 Units) in road games when playing on a Saturday over the last 3 seasons.
                        MISSOURI is 8-18 ATS (-11.8 Units) in all games over the last 3 seasons.
                        MISSOURI is 8-18 ATS (-11.8 Units) in all lined games over the last 3 seasons.

NORTH TEXAS (1 - 1) at IOWA (2 - 0) - 9/16/2017, 3:30 PM

IOWA is 1-0 against the spread versus NORTH TEXAS over the last 3 seasons
                        IOWA is 1-0 straight up against NORTH TEXAS over the last 3 seasons

LA LAFAYETTE (1 - 1) at TEXAS A&M (1 - 1) - 9/16/2017, 12:00 PM
                        TEXAS A&M is 6-16 ATS (-11.6 Units) in games played on a grass field over the last 3 seasons.

BOWLING GREEN (0 - 2) at NORTHWESTERN (1 - 1) - 9/16/2017, 7:30 PM
                        BOWLING GREEN is 0-6 ATS (-6.6 Units) in September games over the last 2 seasons.
                        BOWLING GREEN is 0-6 ATS (-6.6 Units) in non-conference games over the last 2 seasons.
                        NORTHWESTERN is 2-13 ATS (-12.3 Units) in home games against MAC opponents since 1992.

TULANE (1 - 1) at OKLAHOMA (2 - 0) - 9/16/2017, 6:00 PM
                        TULANE is 91-123 ATS (-44.3 Units) as an underdog since 1992.

TENNESSEE (2 - 0) at FLORIDA (0 - 1) - 9/16/2017, 3:30 PM
                        FLORIDA is 41-23 ATS (+15.7 Units) when playing with 2 weeks or more of rest since 1992.
                        FLORIDA is 36-20 ATS (+14.0 Units) after a bye week since 1992.

TENNESSEE is 1-0 against the spread versus FLORIDA over the last 3 seasons
                        FLORIDA is 1-1 straight up against TENNESSEE over the last 3 seasons

SMU (2 - 0) at TCU (2 - 0) - 9/16/2017, 3:30 PM
                        TCU is 35-19 ATS (+14.1 Units) in home games after 2 or more consecutive straight up wins since 1992.
                        TCU is 2-9 ATS (-7.9 Units) as a favorite over the last 2 seasons.
                        TCU is 0-8 ATS (-8.8 Units) in home games over the last 2 seasons.
                        TCU is 0-7 ATS (-7.7 Units) in home lined games over the last 2 seasons.
                        TCU is 2-10 ATS (-9.0 Units) when playing on a Saturday over the last 2 seasons.
                        TCU is 0-8 ATS (-8.8 Units) in games played on a grass field over the last 2 seasons.

TCU is 1-1 against the spread versus SMU over the last 3 seasons
                        TCU is 2-0 straight up against SMU over the last 3 seasons

LOUISIANA TECH (1 - 1) at W KENTUCKY (1 - 1) - 9/16/2017, 7:00 PM
                        W KENTUCKY is 13-4 ATS (+8.6 Units) against conference opponents over the last 3 seasons.

W KENTUCKY is 2-1 against the spread versus LOUISIANA TECH over the last 3 seasons
                        W KENTUCKY is 2-1 straight up against LOUISIANA TECH over the last 3 seasons
                        3 of 3 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

ARMY (2 - 0) at OHIO ST (1 - 1) - 9/16/2017, 4:30 PM
                        OHIO ST is 178-134 ATS (+30.6 Units) in all games since 1992.
                        OHIO ST is 178-134 ATS (+30.6 Units) in all lined games since 1992.
                        OHIO ST is 148-115 ATS (+21.5 Units) as a favorite since 1992.
                        OHIO ST is 161-120 ATS (+29.0 Units) when playing on a Saturday since 1992.
                        OHIO ST is 53-34 ATS (+15.6 Units) in September games since 1992.

OREGON ST (1 - 2) at WASHINGTON ST (2 - 0) - 9/16/2017, 5:30 PM
                        OREGON ST is 12-27 ATS (-17.7 Units) in road games in September games since 1992.

WASHINGTON ST is 1-1 against the spread versus OREGON ST over the last 3 seasons
                        WASHINGTON ST is 2-0 straight up against OREGON ST over the last 3 seasons

APPALACHIAN ST (1 - 1) at TEXAS ST (1 - 1) - 9/16/2017, 7:00 PM
                        APPALACHIAN ST is 8-1 ATS (+6.9 Units) as a road favorite over the last 3 seasons.

TEXAS ST is 1-0 against the spread versus APPALACHIAN ST over the last 3 seasons
                        APPALACHIAN ST is 1-0 straight up against TEXAS ST over the last 3 seasons

COLORADO ST (2 - 1) at ALABAMA (2 - 0) - 9/16/2017, 7:00 PM
                        COLORADO ST is 11-2 ATS (+8.8 Units) when playing on a Saturday over the last 2 seasons.
                        ALABAMA is 55-78 ATS (-30.8 Units) in home games when playing with 6 or less days rest since 1992.

TULSA (1 - 1) at TOLEDO (2 - 0) - 9/16/2017, 7:00 PM
                        TOLEDO is 29-15 ATS (+12.5 Units) as a favorite of 3.5 to 10 points since 1992.
                        TOLEDO is 77-53 ATS (+18.7 Units) as a favorite since 1992.
                        TOLEDO is 48-26 ATS (+19.4 Units) in home games when playing on a Saturday since 1992.
                        TOLEDO is 43-26 ATS (+14.4 Units) in home games when playing with 6 or less days rest since 1992.
                        TOLEDO is 7-0 ATS (+7.0 Units) in September games over the last 3 seasons.
                        TULSA is 9-2 ATS (+6.8 Units) when playing on a Saturday over the last 2 seasons.

IDAHO (1 - 1) at W MICHIGAN (0 - 2) - 9/16/2017, 7:00 PM
                        W MICHIGAN is 10-2 ATS (+7.8 Units) in non-conference games over the last 3 seasons.

SOUTHERN MISS (1 - 1) at LA MONROE (0 - 1) - 9/16/2017, 7:00 PM
                        LA MONROE is 5-16 ATS (-12.6 Units) when playing with 2 weeks or more of rest since 1992.
                        LA MONROE is 6-16 ATS (-11.6 Units) after a bye week since 1992.

OREGON (2 - 0) at WYOMING (1 - 1) - 9/16/2017, 7:00 PM
                        OREGON is 1-8 ATS (-7.8 Units) when playing with 6 or less days rest over the last 2 seasons.
                        OREGON is 6-15 ATS (-10.5 Units) in games played on turf over the last 3 seasons.
                        OREGON is 72-50 ATS (+17.0 Units) in road games since 1992.
                        OREGON is 72-50 ATS (+17.0 Units) in road lined games since 1992.
                        OREGON is 85-60 ATS (+19.0 Units) after 2 or more consecutive straight up wins since 1992.

LSU (2 - 0) at MISSISSIPPI ST (2 - 0) - 9/16/2017, 7:00 PM

MISSISSIPPI ST is 2-0 against the spread versus LSU over the last 3 seasons
                        LSU is 2-0 straight up against MISSISSIPPI ST over the last 3 seasons
                        2 of 2 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

GEORGIA TECH (1 - 1) at UCF (1 - 0) - 9/16/2017, 7:30 PM
                        GEORGIA TECH is 6-0 ATS (+6.0 Units) in non-conference games over the last 2 seasons.

KANSAS ST (2 - 0) at VANDERBILT (2 - 0) - 9/16/2017, 7:30 PM
                        KANSAS ST is 147-109 ATS (+27.1 Units) when playing on a Saturday since 1992.
                        KANSAS ST is 120-90 ATS (+21.0 Units) when playing with 6 or less days rest since 1992.

RICE (1 - 1) at HOUSTON (1 - 0) - 9/16/2017, 8:00 PM

RICE is 117-87 ATS (+21.3 Units) in games played on turf since 1992.
                        RICE is 55-34 ATS (+17.6 Units) off a win against a conference rival since 1992.

TROY (1 - 1) at NEW MEXICO ST (1 - 1) - 9/16/2017, 8:00 PM
                        NEW MEXICO ST is 87-118 ATS (-42.8 Units) when playing on a Saturday since 1992.

TROY is 2-0 against the spread versus NEW MEXICO ST over the last 3 seasons
                        TROY is 2-0 straight up against NEW MEXICO ST over the last 3 seasons

ARIZONA ST (1 - 1) at TEXAS TECH (1 - 0) - 9/16/2017, 8:00 PM
                        TEXAS TECH is 12-3 ATS (+8.7 Units) as a home favorite of 3.5 to 7 points since 1992.
                        TEXAS TECH is 81-52 ATS (+23.8 Units) in home games since 1992.
                        TEXAS TECH is 81-52 ATS (+23.8 Units) in home lined games since 1992.
                        TEXAS TECH is 78-50 ATS (+23.0 Units) in home games when playing on a Saturday since 1992.
                        TEXAS TECH is 15-5 ATS (+9.5 Units) in games played on turf over the last 3 seasons.
                        TEXAS TECH is 6-0 ATS (+6.0 Units) in home games in September games over the last 3 seasons.

ARIZONA ST is 1-0 against the spread versus TEXAS TECH over the last 3 seasons
                        ARIZONA ST is 1-0 straight up against TEXAS TECH over the last 3 seasons

TEXAS (1 - 1) at USC (2 - 0) - 9/16/2017, 8:30 PM
                        USC is 6-0 ATS (+6.0 Units) as a favorite of 10.5 to 21 points over the last 2 seasons.

SAN JOSE ST (1 - 2) at UTAH (2 - 0) - 9/16/2017, 10:00 PM
                        UTAH is 60-35 ATS (+21.5 Units) in non-conference games since 1992.

UTAH is 1-0 against the spread versus SAN JOSE ST over the last 3 seasons
                        UTAH is 1-0 straight up against SAN JOSE ST over the last 3 seasons

FRESNO ST (1 - 1) at WASHINGTON (2 - 0) - 9/16/2017, 9:30 PM

OLE MISS (2 - 0) at CALIFORNIA (2 - 0) - 9/16/2017, 10:30 PM

STANFORD (1 - 1) at SAN DIEGO ST (2 - 0) - 9/16/2017, 10:30 PM
                        SAN DIEGO ST is 11-3 ATS (+7.7 Units) after 2 or more consecutive straight up wins over the last 3 seasons.
                        STANFORD is 66-43 ATS (+18.7 Units) in road games when playing with 6 or less days rest since 1992.

Comment

• NCAAF

Week 3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Trend Report
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, September 14

8:00 PM
                          NEW MEXICO vs. BOISE STATE
                          The total has gone UNDER in 4 of New Mexico's last 6 games
                          New Mexico is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games
                          Boise State is 7-1 SU in its last 8 games when playing New Mexico
                          Boise State is 1-5 ATS in its last 6 games when playing New Mexico

Friday, September 15

7:00 PM
                          ILLINOIS vs. SOUTH FLORIDA
                          Illinois is 8-17 ATS in its last 25 games on the road
                          Illinois is 4-21 SU in its last 25 games on the road
                          South Florida is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
                          South Florida is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games

MASSACHUSETTS vs. TEMPLE
                          The total has gone OVER in 5 of Massachusetts's last 6 games
                          Massachusetts is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games
                          Temple is 8-2 SU in its last 10 games
                          Temple is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home

10:00 PM
                          ARIZONA vs. TEXAS EL PASO
                          Arizona is 0-5 ATS in its last 5 games on the road
                          The total has gone OVER in 5 of Arizona's last 6 games on the road
                          Texas El Paso is 1-3-1 ATS in its last 5 games
                          Texas El Paso is 2-5 SU in its last 7 games at home

Saturday, September 16

12:00 PM
                          LOUISIANA-LAFAYETTE vs. TEXAS A&M
                          Louisiana-Lafayette is 4-9 SU in its last 13 games on the road
                          Texas A&M is 1-10 ATS in its last 11 games
                          Texas A&M is 0-5 ATS in its last 5 games at home

KANSAS vs. OHIO
                          The total has gone UNDER in 17 of Kansas's last 23 games on the road
                          Kansas is 5-14 ATS in its last 19 games on the road
                          The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Ohio's last 6 games at home
                          Ohio is 5-2 SU in its last 7 games at home

IOWA STATE vs. AKRON
                          The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Iowa State's last 6 games on the road
                          Iowa State is 4-14 SU in its last 18 games
                          Akron is 1-5-1 ATS in its last 7 games at home
                          Akron is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games at home

UCLA vs. MEMPHIS
                          UCLA is 1-7 SU in its last 8 games on the road
                          The total has gone UNDER in 5 of UCLA's last 5 games on the road
                          The total has gone OVER in 4 of Memphis's last 5 games
                          Memphis is 3-8 ATS in its last 11 games

CONNECTICUT vs. VIRGINIA
                          Connecticut is 2-7 ATS in its last 9 games on the road
                          Connecticut is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games on the road
                          Virginia is 1-5 SU in its last 6 games at home
                          The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Virginia's last 5 games

OKLAHOMA STATE vs. PITTSBURGH
                          Oklahoma State is 10-1 SU in its last 11 games
                          Oklahoma State is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games on the road
                          The total has gone OVER in 11 of Pittsburgh's last 14 games
                          Pittsburgh is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games

AIR FORCE vs. MICHIGAN
                          Air Force is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
                          The total has gone OVER in 4 of Air Force's last 5 games
                          The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Michigan's last 5 games at home
                          The total has gone OVER in 9 of Michigan's last 13 games at home

NORTHERN ILLINOIS vs. NEBRASKA
                          Northern Illinois is 5-2 SU in its last 7 games
                          The total has gone OVER in 5 of Northern Illinois's last 7 games on the road
                          Nebraska is 11-5 SU in its last 16 games
                          The total has gone OVER in 4 of Nebraska's last 5 games

DELAWARE ST vs. WEST VIRGINIA
                          Delaware St is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games
                          Delaware St is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games on the road
                          West Virginia is 2-6 ATS in its last 8 games at home
                          West Virginia is 16-5 SU in its last 21 games

12:20 PM
                          FURMAN vs. NORTH CAROLINA STATE
                          Furman is 1-16 SU in its last 17 games
                          Furman is 1-16 SU in its last 17 games on the road
                          North Carolina State is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games at home
                          North Carolina State is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games at home

12:30 PM
                          BAYLOR vs. DUKE
                          Baylor is 1-8 SU in its last 9 games
                          Baylor is 2-7 ATS in its last 9 games
                          The total has gone OVER in 4 of Duke's last 5 games
                          The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Duke's last 8 games at home

1:00 PM
                          COASTAL CAROLINA vs. UAB
                          Coastal Carolina is 1-7 SU in its last 8 games
                          Coastal Carolina is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games on the road
                          The total has gone OVER in 5 of UAB's last 7 games
                          UAB is 8-15 SU in its last 23 games

2:00 PM
                          N. COLORADO vs. COLORADO
                          N. Colorado is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games on the road
                          N. Colorado is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games
                          Colorado is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games
                          Colorado is 8-2 SU in its last 10 games

3:00 PM
                          UTAH STATE vs. WAKE FOREST
                          The total has gone OVER in 4 of Utah State's last 5 games on the road
                          Utah State is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games on the road
                          Wake Forest is 6-3 SU in its last 9 games at home
                          The total has gone OVER in 4 of Wake Forest's last 5 games at home

3:00 PM
                          TENNESSEE TECH vs. BALL STATE
                          Tennessee Tech is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games on the road
                          Tennessee Tech is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games
                          The total has gone OVER in 4 of Ball State's last 6 games at home
                          Ball State is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games at home

3:30 PM
                          WISCONSIN vs. BYU
                          Wisconsin is 9-1 SU in its last 10 games
                          Wisconsin is 1-2-2 ATS in its last 5 games
                          The total has gone UNDER in 5 of BYU's last 5 games
                          BYU is 2-5 ATS in its last 7 games at home

VIRGINIA TECH vs. EAST CAROLINA
                          The total has gone UNDER in 12 of Virginia Tech's last 17 games on the road
                          Virginia Tech is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games
                          East Carolina is 3-9 SU in its last 12 games when playing Virginia Tech
                          East Carolina is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games when playing at home against Virginia Tech

CENTRAL MICHIGAN vs. SYRACUSE
                          Central Michigan is 2-6 ATS in its last 8 games
                          Central Michigan is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games on the road
                          The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Syracuse's last 5 games at home
                          The total has gone UNDER in 8 of Syracuse's last 9 games

NORTH CAROLINA vs. OLD DOMINION
                          North Carolina is 1-5 SU in its last 6 games
                          The total has gone UNDER in 4 of North Carolina's last 5 games on the road
                          Old Dominion is 7-2-1 ATS in its last 10 games at home
                          Old Dominion is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games

FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL vs. INDIANA
                          Florida International is 5-11-2 ATS in its last 18 games
                          Florida International is 2-5 SU in its last 7 games
                          Indiana is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games at home
                          Indiana is 4-8 SU in its last 12 games at home

MORGAN ST vs. RUTGERS
                          Morgan St is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games
                          Morgan St is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games
                          Rutgers is 2-4 ATS in its last 6 games at home
                          Rutgers is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games

NORTH TEXAS vs. IOWA
                          The total has gone OVER in 4 of North Texas's last 6 games on the road
                          North Texas is 2-18 SU in its last 20 games on the road
                          The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Iowa's last 5 games at home
                          The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Iowa's last 6 games

NOTRE DAME vs. BOSTON COLLEGE
                          The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Notre Dame's last 9 games
                          Notre Dame is 1-5 ATS in its last 6 games on the road
                          Boston College is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games when playing Notre Dame
                          The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Boston College's last 5 games when playing Notre Dame

MIDDLE TENNESSEE vs. MINNESOTA
                          The total has gone OVER in 7 of Middle Tennessee's last 10 games
                          Middle Tennessee is 6-2 SU in its last 8 games on the road
                          The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Minnesota's last 6 games
                          Minnesota is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games

SOUTHERN METHODIST vs. TCU
                          The total has gone OVER in 5 of Southern Methodist's last 7 games when playing TCU
                          Southern Methodist is 1-9 SU in its last 10 games when playing on the road against TCU
                          TCU is 1-5 SU in its last 6 games at home
                          TCU is 18-6 SU in its last 24 games at home

TENNESSEE vs. FLORIDA
                          The total has gone OVER in 4 of Tennessee's last 5 games when playing on the road against Florida
                          Tennessee is 2-3-1 ATS in its last 6 games when playing on the road against Florida
                          Florida is 4-8 ATS in its last 12 games at home
                          Florida is 15-4 SU in its last 19 games at home

4:00 PM
                          PURDUE vs. MISSOURI

The total has gone OVER in 4 of Purdue's last 6 games on the road
                          Purdue is 1-12 SU in its last 13 games on the road
                          The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Missouri's last 7 games
                          Missouri is 6-15 SU in its last 21 games

4:00 PM
                          MERCER vs. AUBURN
                          No trends available
                          Auburn is 8-4 SU in its last 12 games
                          Auburn is 4-1-1 ATS in its last 6 games at home

4:30 PM
                          ARMY vs. OHIO STATE
                          The total has gone UNDER in 15 of Army's last 23 games
                          Army is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
                          Ohio State is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games at home
                          Ohio State is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games

5:30 PM
                          OREGON STATE vs. WASHINGTON STATE
                          Oregon State is 2-4 ATS in its last 6 games
                          The total has gone OVER in 4 of Oregon State's last 6 games
                          The total has gone OVER in 5 of Washington State's last 6 games when playing Oregon State
                          Washington State is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against Oregon State

6:00 PM
                          COLGATE vs. BUFFALO
                          Colgate is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games on the road
                          Colgate is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games
                          Buffalo is 2-6 SU in its last 8 games at home
                          The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Buffalo's last 6 games

NORTH CAROLINA A&T vs. CHARLOTTE
                          North Carolina A&T is 1-6 SU in its last 7 games
                          North Carolina A&T is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games on the road
                          Charlotte is 2-7-2 ATS in its last 11 games at home
                          Charlotte is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games at home

TULANE vs. OKLAHOMA
                          Tulane is 2-7 SU in its last 9 games
                          Tulane is 4-18 SU in its last 22 games on the road
                          Oklahoma is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home
                          The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Oklahoma's last 8 games

6:30 PM
                          KENT STATE vs. MARSHALL
                          Kent State is 2-4 ATS in its last 6 games on the road
                          Kent State is 3-15 SU in its last 18 games on the road
                          Marshall is 3-10 SU in its last 13 games
                          The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Marshall's last 10 games

6:30 PM
                          BETHUNE-COOKMAN vs. FLORIDA ATLANTIC
                          The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Bethune-Cookman's last 5 games
                          Bethune-Cookman is 1-5 ATS in its last 6 games on the road
                          Florida Atlantic is 2-11 SU in its last 13 games
                          The total has gone OVER in 4 of Florida Atlantic's last 6 games

ARK.-PINE BLUFF vs. ARKANSAS STATE
                          Ark.-Pine Bluff is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games
                          Ark.-Pine Bluff is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games on the road
                          Arkansas State is 8-2 SU in its last 10 games
                          The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Arkansas State's last 7 games at home

LOUISIANA TECH vs. WESTERN KENTUCKY
                          The total has gone OVER in 7 of Louisiana Tech's last 8 games on the road
                          Louisiana Tech is 9-3 SU in its last 12 games
                          Western Kentucky is 9-1 SU in its last 10 games
                          Western Kentucky is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home

SOUTHERN U vs. UTSA
                          Southern U is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games
                          Southern U is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games on the road
                          The total has gone UNDER in 4 of UTSA's last 5 games
                          UTSA is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games at home

ALABAMA A&M vs. SOUTH ALABAMA
                          Alabama A&M is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games
                          Alabama A&M is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games on the road
                          The total has gone OVER in 4 of South Alabama's last 5 games
                          South Alabama is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games at home

SOUTHERN MISS vs. LOUISIANA-MONROE
                          Southern Miss is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games on the road
                          Southern Miss is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games on the road
                          The total has gone OVER in 9 of Louisiana-Monroe's last 10 games
                          The total has gone OVER in 7 of Louisiana-Monroe's last 9 games at home

APPALACHIAN STATE vs. TEXAS STATE
                          The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Appalachian State's last 5 games on the road
                          Appalachian State is 9-3 SU in its last 12 games on the road
                          The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Texas State's last 5 games at home
                          Texas State is 1-5 ATS in its last 6 games at home

TULSA vs. TOLEDO
                          Tulsa is 11-3-1 ATS in its last 15 games on the road
                          Tulsa is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games
                          Toledo is 19-6 SU in its last 25 games
                          Toledo is 7-1 SU in its last 8 games at home

IDAHO vs. WESTERN MICHIGAN
                          The total has gone OVER in 15 of Idaho's last 20 games on the road
                          Idaho is 6-19 SU in its last 25 games on the road
                          The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Western Michigan's last 6 games
                          Western Michigan is 12-5-1 ATS in its last 18 games

COLORADO STATE vs. ALABAMA
                          Colorado State is 2-5 SU in its last 7 games on the road
                          Colorado State is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games
                          Alabama is 23-2 SU in its last 25 games
                          The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Alabama's last 7 games

IDAHO STATE vs. NEVADA
                          Idaho State is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games
                          Idaho State is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games
                          Nevada is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games at home
                          Nevada is 7-3 SU in its last 10 games at home

OREGON vs. WYOMING
                          The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Oregon's last 6 games on the road
                          Oregon is 1-5-1 ATS in its last 7 games on the road
                          Wyoming is 8-2 SU in its last 10 games at home
                          Wyoming is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games

LSU vs. MISSISSIPPI STATE
                          LSU is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games
                          LSU is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games on the road
                          The total has gone OVER in 4 of Mississippi State's last 6 games when playing at home against LSU
                          Mississippi State is 6-14 ATS in its last 20 games when playing LSU

7:30 PM
                          BOWLING GREEN vs. NORTHWESTERN
                          Bowling Green is 3-9 SU in its last 12 games
                          Bowling Green is 4-11 ATS in its last 15 games
                          Northwestern is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games
                          The total has gone UNDER in 13 of Northwestern's last 19 games

SAMFORD vs. GEORGIA
                          The total has gone OVER in 4 of Samford's last 6 games on the road
                          Samford is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games on the road
                          The total has gone UNDER in 9 of Georgia's last 12 games at home
                          Georgia is 17-6 SU in its last 23 games at home

GEORGIA TECH vs. CENTRAL FLORIDA
                          Georgia Tech is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games on the road
                          Georgia Tech is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games
                          The total has gone UNDER in 8 of Central Florida's last 9 games at home
                          Central Florida is 4-10 SU in its last 14 games at home

KENTUCKY vs. SOUTH CAROLINA
                          The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Kentucky's last 10 games on the road
                          Kentucky is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games
                          South Carolina is 7-1 SU in its last 8 games when playing at home against Kentucky
                          The total has gone OVER in 8 of South Carolina's last 10 games when playing Kentucky

KANSAS STATE vs. VANDERBILT
                          The total has gone OVER in 7 of Kansas State's last 8 games
                          Kansas State is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
                          Vanderbilt is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games at home
                          Vanderbilt is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games

GEORGIA STATE vs. PENN STATE
                          Georgia State is 1-5 SU in its last 6 games
                          Georgia State is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games
                          Penn State is 10-0-1 ATS in its last 11 games
                          Penn State is 11-1 SU in its last 12 games

ARIZONA STATE vs. TEXAS TECH
                          Arizona State is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games on the road
                          Arizona State is 1-5 ATS in its last 6 games on the road
                          The total has gone OVER in 13 of Texas Tech's last 18 games at home
                          The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Texas Tech's last 6 games at home

CINCINNATI vs. MIAMI (OHIO)
                          Cincinnati is 2-4 ATS in its last 6 games when playing on the road against Miami (Ohio)
                          Cincinnati is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing Miami (Ohio)
                          Miami (Ohio) is 7-2 SU in its last 9 games
                          Miami (Ohio) is 8-17 SU in its last 25 games at home

CLEMSON vs. LOUISVILLE
                          The total has gone OVER in 5 of Clemson's last 5 games on the road
                          The total has gone OVER in 6 of Clemson's last 8 games
                          Louisville is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games at home
                          Louisville is 17-5 SU in its last 22 games

MIAMI vs. FLORIDA STATE
                          The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Miami's last 8 games when playing on the road against Florida State
                          The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Miami's last 5 games when playing Florida State
                          The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Florida State's last 10 games
                          Florida State is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games

TROY vs. NEW MEXICO STATE
                          Troy is 10-3 SU in its last 13 games
                          Troy is 1-5 ATS in its last 6 games
                          New Mexico State is 4-11 SU in its last 15 games at home
                          New Mexico State is 2-7 SU in its last 9 games

RICE vs. HOUSTON
                          The total has gone OVER in 4 of Rice's last 6 games when playing on the road against Houston
                          Rice is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Houston
                          Houston is 17-1 SU in its last 18 games at home
                          Houston is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games at home

8:30 PM
                          TEXAS vs. SOUTHERN CAL
                          The total has gone UNDER in 11 of Texas's last 14 games on the road
                          Texas is 2-9 ATS in its last 11 games on the road
                          The total has gone OVER in 4 of Southern Cal's last 5 games
                          Southern Cal is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games

9:30 PM
                          FRESNO STATE vs. WASHINGTON
                          The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Fresno State's last 5 games
                          Fresno State is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games
                          Washington is 17-2 SU in its last 19 games
                          Washington is 9-1 SU in its last 10 games at home

10:00 PM
                          SAN JOSE STATE vs. UTAH
                          The total has gone UNDER in 4 of San Jose State's last 5 games
                          San Jose State is 2-5 ATS in its last 7 games on the road
                          Utah is 13-3 SU in its last 16 games at home
                          The total has gone UNDER in 12 of Utah's last 17 games at home

10:30 PM
                          MISSISSIPPI vs. CALIFORNIA
                          Mississippi is 1-8 ATS in its last 9 games
                          Mississippi is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games
                          California is 2-5 ATS in its last 7 games
                          California is 7-2 SU in its last 9 games at home

10:30 PM
                          STANFORD vs. SAN DIEGO STATE
                          Stanford is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games on the road
                          The total has gone OVER in 4 of Stanford's last 5 games on the road
                          The total has gone UNDER in 14 of San Diego State's last 20 games at home
                          San Diego State is 2-4 ATS in its last 6 games

Comment

• NCAAF
                            Armadillo's Write-Up

Week 3

Thursday’s game
                            Quick turnaround for Boise State squad whose OT loss at Washington State didn’t end until 2:40am Saturday night. Broncos won seven of last eight games with New Mexico, but covered only one of last six; Lobos won their last visit here, as a 31-point underdog. New Mexico was upset at home by New Mexico State LW; Lobos have a senior QB (27 starts)- since 2013, they are 12-7 vs spread as a road underdog. Boise is 2-10-1 in last 13 games as a home favorite.

Friday’s games
                            Temple was outgunned 402-353 in narrow 16-13 win on I-AA Villanova last week, after they lost 49-16 at Notre Dame the week before. Owls had only 79 rushing yards LW; they’re 7-2 as home favorites the last two years, but this team has far less experience than in recent years. UMass is 0-3 already, losing 38-28 at I-A newcomer Coastal Carolina in their only road game. Minutemen are 8-8 as road underdogs under Whipple. Temple (-13) edged UMass 25-23 at home in last meeting, two years ago.

Former Bucs’ assistant Lovie Smith returns to Tampa with his Illinois team that is 2-0 with home wins over Ball State/Western Kentucky. Since 2012, Illini is 6-15 as a road underdog; they were 2-2 LY, in Smith’s first year as coach. South Florida’s routines have obviously been disrupted by Hurricane Irma; Bulls are 2-0, with a 42-22 road win at San Jose State after they fell behind 16-0 early. USF has 16 returning starters, a senior QB (28 starts). Bulls are 7-1-1 vs spread in last nine games as a home favorite.

Arizona lost at home to Houston LW, their first I-A game. Wildcats are 4-4 as road favorites under RichRod. Arizona’s OL has 89 returning starts, which makes last week’s loss more disappointing. UTEP gave up 306 rushing yards in a 31-14 home loss to Rice LW, after they got crushed by Oklahoma before that. Miners are 12-11-1 vs spread at home under Kugler. UTEP’s qb Metz has 14 career starts. Wildcats have 7 starters back on both sides of the ball; their junior QB has 11 starts.

Saturday’s top 13 games
                            Notre Dame was held to 55 rushing yards in 20-19 home loss to Georgia LW. ND won its last five games with Boston College (1-4 vs spread), with three of five wins by 4 or less points. Irish won 21-6/31-13 in last two visits here. ND is 5-10 vs spread as a road favorite under Kelly. BC lost 34-10 at home to Wake Forest last week, completing just 18-31 passes with a -4 turnover ratio. Eagles are 3-11 vs spread in last 14 home games. This is first road start for ND’s soph QB Wimbush. ACC teams are 6-8 vs spread in non-conference games this season.

UCLA allowed 563 yards in its first two games, wins over Texas A&M (45-44), Hawai’i (56-23); Bruins come east with 15 returning starters (9 on offense) and a junior QB (21 starts) who engineered huge comeback vs A&M (trailed 44-10).Memphis had its game at UCF postponed last week; Tigers ran for 319 yards in a quagmire in 37-29 opening win over ULM. Since 2012, Memphis is 7-4 as a home underdog. Pac-12 non-conference road favorites are 4-1 vs spread this season; AAC teams are 6-5 vs spread out of conference, 1-3 as an underdog.

Clemson beat Louisville last three years, by 6-3-6 points, with underdogs covering all three; Cardinals ran ball for 273 yards in LY’s game- Clemson threw for 306 yards, but Watson is in NFL now- this is first road start for junior QB Bryant. Tigers held Auburn to 117 total yards in 14-6 home win LW; Clemson had only 284 TY. Louisville is 2-1 as a home underdog under Petrino. Last three years, Clemson is 3-9 vs spread as a road favorite. Cardinals scored 82 points in winning first two games over Purdue/UNC, throwing for 771 yards.

Florida’s team had its routines disrupted this week by the hurricane- their game last week was cancelled. Gators lost their opener 33-17 to Michigan; Wolverines outgained them, 433-192. Florida had 10 guys suspended; unclear how many they get back here. Tennessee ended an 11-year skid with the Gators LY with 38-28 win; Vols lost last six visits to Gainesville (2-4 vs spread). Tennessee won its opener 42-41 in OT in Atlanta vs Ga Tech, then waxed a I-AA opponent LW. This is first true road start for Tennessee’s junior QB Dormady.

Purdue seems to be much-improved after hanging in with Louisville, then whacking Ohio U 44-21 last week. Last 5+ years, Boilermakers are 16-6-1 vs spread in true road games. Missouri gained 423 yards in loss to South Carolina LW but scored only 13 points; they were -3 in turnovers. Tigers allowed 43 points in opening 72-43 win over a I-AA opponent. Since 2011, SEC teams are 16-12-1 vs spread when facing a Big 14 opponent. This season, Big 14 underdogs are 6-0 vs spread out of conference.

Washington State won its last three games with Oregon State by 4-21-7 points; underdogs are 5-1 vs spread in last six series games. Beavers won four of last five visits to Pullman. Coogs rallied back from down 31-10 to nip Boise State in OT last week; Falk missed 2nd half with a concussion- backup Hilinski was 25-33 for 240 yards and three TD’s. Since 2013, Wazzu is 10-7 vs spread as a home favorite. Beavers are 5-7 vs spread as a road underdog under Andersen. OSU gave up 544 rushing yards in last two games, one of which was against a I-AA team.

Home team won last four Louisiana Tech-Western Kentucky games, with average total of 89.5 in the four games. Tech lost 58-44/41-38 in last two visits here. WKU was held to 244 yards in 20-7 loss at Illinois last week; Hilltoppers are 9-4 vs spread in last 13 home games. Bulldogs gave up 327 rushing yards in 57-21 home loss to Miss State LW; Tech actually lost 87 yards on one especially bad play involving a fumble and a ball that wouldn’t stop rolling. Bulldogs are 14-8 vs spread in last 22 road games; they’re 9-6 as a road underdog under Holtz.

LSU is 16-1 in its last 17 games with Mississippi State, winning last two meetings 23-20/21-19; Tigers won last eight visits to Starkville (6-2 vs spread). LSU didn’t allow BYU to move the ball over midfield in its only I-A game this season; Tigers are 6-12 vs spread in last 18 true road games, they’re 5-8 in last 13 games as a road favorite. Miss State ran ball for 327 yards LW at La Tech; since 2013, Bulldogs are 12-7 vs spread as an underdog- they’re 10-10 as a home dog under Mullen.

Not often Wyoming gets a Pac-12 opponent to visit Laramie. Oregon was up 42-14 at the half vs Nebraska last week, wound up hanging on for 42-35 win; Ducks gained total of 566 yards, running for 201. Since 2011, Oregon is 14-5 vs spread as a road favorite- they were 0-2 LY. Wyoming was held to 233 yards in opening 24-3 loss at Iowa- they ran for only 65 yards in a 27-0 win over a I-AA team LW. Cowboys are 8-5 as a home underdog under Bohl. Last 2+ years, Pac-12 teams are 15-10-1 vs spread when facing a Mountain West opponent.

Georgia Tech-Central Florida game was postponed.

Kentucky won its last three games with South Carolina; underdogs are 3-1-1 vs spread in last five series games. Wildcats lost seven of last eight visits to Columbia, but covered three of last four. Gamecocks scored 66 points in winning first two games, neither of which were at home; Since ’11, South Carolina is 18-17 vs spread as a home favorite; they’re 2-2 under Muschamp. Kentucky won its opener 24-17 at Southern Miss, then beat a I-AA team 27-16 team LW. Since ’11, Wildcats are 11-19 vs spread as a road underdog- they’re 9-9 under Stoops.

Arizona State (-1) beat Texas Tech 68-55 LY in a ridiculous game where TY was 652-612; Tech threw ball for 540 yards but was -2 in turnovers. ASU gave up 279 rushing yards in 30-20 home loss to San Diego State LW; Sun Devils are 5-10 vs spread as road underdogs under Graham. Tech is 8-4 vs spread at home the last two years, 6-1 vs spread as a home favorite; they’re breaking in a new QB and haven’t played a I-A team yet- they hammered a I-AA team 56-10 two weeks ago. Since 2011, Big X teams are 13-8 vs spread when facing a Pac-12 opponent.

USC had huge 42-24 Pac-12 win over Stanford LW; will it be tough to get back up this week, for a non-league game? Teams haven’t met since 41-38 Texas win in national title game 12 years ago. Texas gave up 263 rushing yards in ugly 51-41 home loss to Maryland in its opener- they crushed San Jose State 56-0 last week. Last three years, Longhorns are 1-5 as a road underdog. Since 2011, Trojans are 24-13 vs spread as a home favorite. Since ’11, Big X teams are 13-8 vs spread when facing a Pac-12 opponent.

Comment

• Sharps are closely monitoring these Week 3 college football games
                              Steve Merril

Wisconsin's defense has eight returning starters and won't be intimidated by their first road atmosphere of the season.

Sharps have flagged these games as lines to keep an eye on for Week 3.

Spread to bet now:

UConn (+10.5) at Virginia

UConn got an unexpected week off after their game against South Florida was postponed due to the weather. The Huskies beat Holy Cross the previous week 27-20 and showed some offensive balance with 160 rushing yards and 278 passing yards. Last year they won this game at home 13-10 against UVA in a contest that saw them hold the Cavaliers scoreless in the second half. The extra time will help the offense continue to get fine tuned as they go to a different style this season.

Virginia is 0-2 ATS this season after losing 34-17 at home to Indiana last week. The Cavaliers rushed for just 55 yards and resorted to throwing it 66 times with Kurt Benkert. They have not been able to get much going on the ground and a one-dimensional attack will not succeed against UConn's defense. UVA qualifies as a weak favorite in this game, considering they are just 3-11 SU in all games the past two years.

Spread to wait on:

Akron (+9.5) vs. Iowa State

This line has already risen from +7.5 to +9.5 and recreational bettors will likely push it higher to the key number +10. This is Iowa State's first road game and they are coming off a draining 44-41 overtime loss to hated rival Iowa. There is a good chance for a hangover for the Cyclones who now have to hit the road to play Akron in a lesser atmosphere. Iowa State also has a look-ahead game on deck when conference play begins at home versus Texas. Iowa State has won just one road game the last three years straight-up.

Akron doesn't get these home games very often and will be highly motivated on Saturday. They are coming off a 52-3 win over Arkansas-Pine Bluff in which they held their opponent to under 200 yards of total offense. Terry Bowden will have these guys ready for this big game, and Thomas Woodson should have a nice game under center with Warren Ball at running back.

Total to watch:

Wisconsin at BYU (41)

Wisconsin hits the road for the first time after demolishing Utah State and Florida Atlantic. The Badgers racked up a ton of yards against two lesser opponents. Their defense was fantastic holding the two teams to 24 points combined. Wisconsin's defense has eight returning starters and won't be intimidated by their first road atmosphere of the season. They've also gone Under in 17 of their last 29 contests.

BYU's offense continues to look anemic. The Cougars have rushed for just 229 yards in three games with 171 yards coming against an FCS opponent. The team has not cracked the 200 yard passing mark and has seen the Under hit in all three games. The defense has done their part, despite being on the field for long periods of time.

Comment

• Pac-12 Report - Week 3
                                September 13, 2017

2017 PAC-12 STANDINGS

Team SU Conference ATS Over/Under

Arizona 1-1 0-0 1-1 1-1

Arizona State 1-1 0-0 0-2 0-2

California 2-0 0-0 1-1 1-1

Colorado 2-0 0-0 1-1 0-2

Oregon 2-0 0-0 1-1 2-0

Oregon State 1-2 0-0 0-3 3-0

Southern California 2-0 1-0 1-1 2-0

Stanford 1-1 0-1 1-1 2-0

UCLA 2-0 0-0 1-1 2-0

Utah 2-0 0-0 2-0 0-2

Washington 2-0 0-0 1-1 1-1

Washington State 2-0 0-0 0-2 1-1

Arizona at Texas-El Paso (Fri. - ESPN, 10:15 p.m. ET)
                                The Wildcats roll into El Paso looking to rebound after a 19-16 setback in front of the home fans against Houston last time out. UTEP was routed in their opener against Oklahoma, and manhandled by Rice 31-14 in their home opener, going 0-2 ATS in the process. The Wildcats opened as 20-point favorites, and that quickly was bet up over three touchdowns. That's despite the fact Arizona is just 3-13 ATS over their past 16 games and 1-5 ATS in their past six out of conference. In addition, they have followed up a straight-up loss by going 1-9 ATS in their next 10 games while failing to cover in seven consecutive road contests. UTEP isn't much better, going 3-8 ATS over their past 11 non-conference tilts and 2-9 ATS in their past 11 following a double-digit loss at home in the previous week.

UCLA at Memphis (ABC, 12:00 p.m. ET)

UCLA takes the cross-country flight to Memphis for an early start on the banks of the Mississippi River. A lot of people are finding the line in this game to be very favorable, as the Bruins opened as 2 1/2-point favorites and currently sit as a field-goal favorite as of this posting. Memphis opened with an uninspiring win over Louisiana-Monroe, 37-29, never coming close to covering a 27 1/2-point line. UCLA has already had a memorable season, recovering from 34 down to stun Texas A&M in the opener, and then waffling Hawaii by a 56-23 count last weekend. Their defense is a bit suspect, which could keep the Tigers in the game, but eventually talent on offense, led by Josh Rosen, will win the day.

Oregon State at Washington State (Pac-12 Network, 5:30 p.m. ET)

The brutal schedule for the Beavers continues, although this is a game they'd normally play since it's the conference opener. Oregon State suits up for the fourth time in four weeks, and they are licking their wounds after being pounded by Minnesota 48-14 in Corvallis last week. This game opened at 16, and quickly has moved to 21, as bettors try to take advantage of an Oregon State side that is 0-3 ATS so far. Total bettors have also found the Beavers to be a solid play, as the 'over' has cashed in each of their first three outings. QB Luke Falk (head) is expected to be ready for this one after being knocked out of the last game with a head injury. Oregon State is 7-1 ATS over their past eight conference games, while the Cougs are 2-5 ATS in their past seven in the Pac-12. And Oregon State has covered seven of their past eight trips to Pullman, and 12 of the past 17 overall in this series.

Oregon at Wyoming (CBS Sports Network, 7:00 p.m. ET)

The Ducks hit the road for Laramie, and they look to build on an impressive 42-35 win against Nebraska. Well, impressive on paper, but not if you were holding a -14 ticket last week. Oregon built a 42-14 haltime lead, but failed to score in the second half and allowed the Cornhuskers to rally before falling by seven. It was a bad beat for some, a surprising cover for others. The Ducks will have their hands full containing NFL prospect QB Josh Allen, potentially the No. 1 overall pick in the 2018 draft. But despite Allen, the Cowboys are still just 1-1 SU and 0-2 ATS, with the under going 0-2 so far. The offense hasn't been clicking, averaging just 15.0 PPG, while the defense has a respectable 12.0 PPG allowed. However, the total for this game is hovering around 60 and there is a lot of offensive firepower on both sides of the ball.

Arizona State at Texas Tech (No National TV, 8:00 p.m. ET)

The Sun Devils head to Lubbock to tangle with the high-octane Red Raiders. After a close shave against New Mexico State in their opener, AZ State was tripped up 30-20 by San Diego State at home. They enter the game 0-2 ATS with the 'under' 2-0 so far. Defense has been an issue, allowing 30.5 PPG, and that's never good when preparing for Texas Tech. Remember, the last time these teams played on Sept. 10, 2016, it was a 68-55 shootout in favor of the Sun Devils. Tech will be gunning for revenge. They humped up on FCS Eastern Washington back on Sept. 2, winning by a 56-10 score as 12-point favorites. Tech is favored by seven to 7 1/2 points, depending on the shop.

Texas at Southern California (FOX, 8:30 p.m. ET)
                                Will we get the good Longhorns or bad Longhorns in Saturday's rematch with USC? Texas was shocked 51-41 by Maryland in their opener, but took out their aggressions on San Jose State last week by a 56-0 score. What we know about Texas is that they can score, but which defense will show up? Defense did well enough to USC last week, as they topped Stanford 42-24 for a win in the conference opener. The Trojans have seen the over cash in each of their first two, as they're averaging 45.5 PPG while yielding 27.5 PPG. These teams last met in a memorable National Championship game in 2016, with Texas coming out on top 41-38. One of these teams is championship caliber (USC), and the other would like to spoil their title dreams again (Texas).

Fresno State at Washington (Pac-12 Network, 9:30 p.m. ET)

Poor Fresno State. They just played on the road at Alabama and were walloped 41-10, now they face another playoff team from 2016 in Seattle. The Bulldogs did a good job containing Jalen Hurts and the Crimson Tide offense, allowing just 41 points while scoring 10 to gain the cover. Fresno is 2-0 ATS so far on the young season. Washington was a bit slugging in their opening cross-country road trip to Rutgers, winning 30-14 as 28-point favorites, and they came back home to throttle FCS Montana 63-7. They're a good squad, but are they 33 points better than Fresno? Bettors do not seem to think so, driving the line down 1 1/2 points from an opening line of 34 1/2. Fresno is 4-0 ATS in their past four against winning teams, and 7-1 ATS in their past eight on a fieldturf surface. Washington is 7-3 ATS across their past 10 non-conference tilts.

San Jose State at Utah (ESPN2, 10:00 p.m. ET)

The brutal early-season schedule continues to the Spartans of San Jose State, as they were topped by South Florida 42-22 in the opener, and waylaid 56-0 in Texas last weekend. They have tasted success once, topping FCS Cal Poly on Sept. 2. Total bettors have liked San Jose so far this season, as the 'under' is a perfect 3-0. Utah is up to a 26-point favorite for this one, as of Wednesday afternoon, but might they have a hangover after their emotional 19-13 win in the Holy War against rival BYU last weekend? The Utes are 2-0 SU/ATS, and the 'under' is also perfect for them so far through two games.

Stanford at San Diego State (CBS Sports Network, 10:30 p.m. ET)

San Diego State comes home after an impressive win at Arizona State last week to find an angry Stanford team champing at the bit. The Cardinal were stung 42-24 at USC, so they'll be eager to get back on track. The Aztecs are 2-0 SU/1-1 ATS after a 21-point win against FCS UC Davis in the opener. Stanford usually comes back strong after a setback, going 11-2 ATS in their past 13 following a straight-up loss, while going 9-3 ATS across their past 12 on the road. San Diego State is 4-10-1 ATS in their past 15 non-conference tilts, and 5-13 ATS in their past 18 against the Pac-12. They bucked both of those trends last weekend, but can they do it again as single-digit underdogs at home? Most shops have them catching nine or 9 1/2 as of Wednesday evening.

Mississippi at California (ESPN, 10:30 p.m. ET)

Ole Miss invades Berkeley in a rare SEC-Pac 12 tilt in the Golden State. The Rebels are 2-0 SU, but 0-2 ATS after a backdoor cover against South Alabama to hit in the opener, and FCS Tennessee-Martin did enough to hang on for a cover last weekend. The 'over' is 2-0 for Mississippi since their offense is averaging 46.0 PPG, with the defense yielding 25.0 PPG. They'll likely be in another track meet this week, as California likes to play up tempo. The Bears stunned North Carolina on the road on Sept. 2, and they handled FCS Weber State last week. They're averaging 34.0 PPG while giving up 25.0 PPG, so expect fireworks. Vegas expects a lot of points, with a total set at 72, but is that enough?

Other Game
                                Northern Colorado at Colorado (Pac-12 Network, 2:00 p.m. ET)

Comment

Working...
                                X