Selection Sunday Chatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Three Jack View Post
    I am not bashing them at all....I think they are a very good team but a #2 seed.

G'town was not good this year, Tennessee was not a tourney team a week ago and Xavier?

If Gonzaga can get UConn, Maryland, Ok. St, Tenn.X2, Arizona, Wash St., UConn, Utah and Memphis on thier out of conference schedule, then, yes, Memphis can do better then Xavier.

And the thing I like about the committee is that while you may not agree with them putting Memphis #2...they were consistent in penalizing others, especially bubble teams, i.e. Penn St & Auburn, for playing crap out of conference schedules.

I jus tthink when you look at the body of work- SOS, RPI, Conf Strength, Top 25 & 50 games, Memphis is clearly the 5 best team in the country and what other criteria are they supposed to go by?
    I see your point, but you're penalizing Memphis because Tennessee and G'Town didn't play well. They scheduled teams that were ranked well in the preseason, teams who were expected to be good. Should they have known which teams would finish higher than others? And again you bring up Conf strength, who's fault is Memphis weak conf strength, cause it certainly aint theirs. They play in a shitty conference, sure, I understand that, but they don't just win games, they dominate these other teams.
    UCONN is priviliged enough to play in the Big East, where they not only play better competition, they get more exposure. I wish more people could watch Memphis' skill level and dominance. Even their big win against the Zags had to be played at 10 PM ET. No one sees them, and no one really cares how they do. Why have rankings if Memphis is ranked top 3 in all polls, but not a top 4 team come decision day?
    "CFB YTD: 5-8-1 -16.2"

Comment

I think they did as good a job as ever. There will always be questions but I like the consistency in the decision making process. I don't think St. Mary;'s deserved to be in. Same with Creighton.
      Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

Originally posted by mavskidd02 View Post
        I see your point, but you're penalizing Memphis because Tennessee and G'Town didn't play well. They scheduled teams that were ranked well in the preseason, teams who were expected to be good. Should they have known which teams would finish higher than others? And again you bring up Conf strength, who's fault is Memphis weak conf strength, cause it certainly aint theirs. They play in a shitty conference, sure, I understand that, but they don't just win games, they dominate these other teams.
        UCONN is priviliged enough to play in the Big East, where they not only play better competition, they get more exposure. I wish more people could watch Memphis' skill level and dominance. Even their big win against the Zags had to be played at 10 PM ET. No one sees them, and no one really cares how they do. Why have rankings if Memphis is ranked top 3 in all polls, but not a top 4 team come decision day?

Is it their fault that these OOC teams did not have typical years...no, not really...but if you are going to start giving them a benefit of the doubt for putting 'named' teams on the schedule, then you have to do that with the bottom half of the ladder as well when considering who the last at large teams are...you have to be judged on who you play, not who you thought you were going to play. We know year after year the CUSA is a mediocre conference at best....so get schedule 10 major conference teams instead of 4 or pay the price!
        Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

Originally posted by Three Jack View Post
          Is it their fault that these OOC teams did not have typical years...no, not really...but if you are going to start giving them a benefit of the doubt for putting 'named' teams on the schedule, then you have to do that with the bottom half of the ladder as well when considering who the last at large teams are...you have to be judged on who you play, not who you thought you were going to play. We know year after year the CUSA is a mediocre conference at best....so get schedule 10 major conference teams instead of 4 or pay the price!
          Jack in all honesty, I see your point. But I think their is two sides. I think they could schedule the ten best teams in the nation, go 5-5 and people will see Memphis, see 5 losses, know they are never on TV, know they play in C USA, and automatically relegate them to being "mediocre." This team is for real, these guys played their hardest against every team they played. And IMO, no matter what they do, short of 32-0 or 31-1, they are not allowed to be as good as CONN, Pitt, Duke, UNC.

Comment

Jack in all honesty, I see your point. But I think their is two sides. I think they could schedule the ten best teams in the nation, go 5-5 and people will see Memphis, see 5 losses, know they are never on TV, know they play in C USA, and automatically relegate them to being "mediocre." This team is for real, these guys played their hardest against every team they played. And IMO, no matter what they do, short of 32-0 or 31-1, they are not allowed to be as good as CONN, Pitt, Duke, UNC.
            So they should be given the 1 because they played a few tough games. They lost to the 3 best they played in Cuse, Georgetown and Xavier and they are not even top ranked teams. Then they beat an average Tenn team that wasnt even sure they were getting in the tourney for most of the year and the Zags. Other than those 5 games they played nobody. I am not sure how you that is a 1 seed resume.

This all goes along with the BCS arguments. Teams that don't play a tough enough schedule get penalized. It just happens that there are a bunch of teams that are really good this year. But time will tell but I will stick by my earlier statement and say they will not reach the final four.
            Hoops

Comment

Memphis IMO is lucky to even get a 2 seed. If you put Memphis in the ACC or the Big East they would have PROBABLY lost 5-7 games.

I realize its not their fault they are in a shitty conference, but to award them a great seed for beating up crappy teams is not fair to schools that play tough competition almost every night in conference play.

They got a 2, that is a fantastic seed, they have a great oppurtunity now to show what they can do. I mean come on, its not like they gave them a 4 seed.
              Questions, comments, complaints:
              [email protected]

Comment

Answer: CSU Northridge

Question: What team beat Memphis in the 1st round of the 2009 NCAA Tournament ??
                He who wears diaper knows his shit - Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by jcindaville View Post
                  Memphis IMO is lucky to even get a 2 seed. If you put Memphis in the ACC or the Big East they would have PROBABLY lost 5-7 games.

I realize its not their fault they are in a shitty conference, but to award them a great seed for beating up crappy teams is not fair to schools that play tough competition almost every night in conference play.

They got a 2, that is a fantastic seed, they have a great oppurtunity now to show what they can do. I mean come on, its not like they gave them a 4 seed.
                  JC, my point is this....... " I realize is not their fault they are in a shitty conference"......... "not fair to schools who play tough competition almost every night in conference play".......

This is the thing, you can say you're not punishing them for play in C USA, but you're rewarding other teams for playing in power conferences, which in turn is leaving Memphis behind, and therefore punishing them. So, until someone invites them to the SEC, or ACC or Big 12, look at their record like everyone else's. Memphis would jump at the opportunity to play somewhere else, but they don't and that aint there fault. I disagree about losing 5-7 games in the ACC or Big East, this team is legit, whether you guys believe it or not.

As for Hoopster, I get it, your mind is made up, no point in arguing. I also didn't know that G'Town was a better team than Tenn and Zaga.

Comment

JC, my point is this....... " I realize is not their fault they are in a shitty conference"......... "not fair to schools who play tough competition almost every night in conference play".......

This is the thing, you can say you're not punishing them for play in C USA, but you're rewarding other teams for playing in power conferences, which in turn is leaving Memphis behind, and therefore punishing them. So, until someone invites them to the SEC, or ACC or Big 12, look at their record like everyone else's. Memphis would jump at the opportunity to play somewhere else, but they don't and that aint there fault. I disagree about losing 5-7 games in the ACC or Big East, this team is legit, whether you guys believe it or not.

As for Hoopster, I get it, your mind is made up, no point in arguing. I also didn't know that G'Town was a better team than Tenn and Zaga.
                    Well Mavs, who knows what they would have done in the Big East or the ACC. I said probably because thats just what i think.

I honestly dont think a number 2 is anything to sneeze at. If they are as good as you say, they will show it and should be plenty motivated because of the so called snub.

Last time Louisville made the final 4 was there last year in Conference USA. They had a awesome year and i felt like we were a legit 2 seed, they snubbed us and gave us a 4 seed and sent us packing to the west. That Louisville team used that snub as motivation and made it all the way to the final 4 before losing in St Louis to the eventual runner up Illinois.

If they are good, they will be fine. I honestly dont know much about them, havent watched them play once because they never show Conf USA games on National TV. I just know the conference sucks, and they didnt fare all that great against out of conference supposed big teams.

Good luck to you, as a Louisville fan from CUSA i feel your pain bro, i am old school too. I remember the Metro conference..lol, hell Louisville started in the Missouri Valley

Memphis would be a good fit for the SEC, you just would take a beating in football like you aint never seen
                    Questions, comments, complaints:
                    [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by jcindaville View Post
                      Well Mavs, who knows what they would have done in the Big East or the ACC. I said probably because thats just what i think.

I honestly dont think a number 2 is anything to sneeze at. If they are as good as you say, they will show it and should be plenty motivated because of the so called snub.

Last time Louisville made the final 4 was there last year in Conference USA. They had a awesome year and i felt like we were a legit 2 seed, they snubbed us and gave us a 4 seed and sent us packing to the west. That Louisville team used that snub as motivation and made it all the way to the final 4 before losing in St Louis to the eventual runner up Illinois.

If they are good, they will be fine. I honestly dont know much about them, havent watched them play once because they never show Conf USA games on National TV. I just know the conference sucks, and they didnt fare all that great against out of conference supposed big teams.

Good luck to you, as a Louisville fan from CUSA i feel your pain bro, i am old school too. I remember the Metro conference..lol, hell Louisville started in the Missouri Valley

Memphis would be a good fit for the SEC, you just would take a beating in football like you aint never seen
                      LOL, just a memphis hoops fan, mich is my team in foots, i have a lot of different teams, i think they're in my profile, but I follow em all and I root very hard for all of 'em. It's tough to follow a team all year, have people tell you they deserve a 1 on ESPN, have everything go right in conf play, and still not see what you want. The thing is, IMO, it is ten times easier as a 1 than a two. Your point about C USA never being on TV is a big one, they never get any exposure, and therefore usually get snubbed and shit on by a lot of people.

Not that it matters but I had 'em winning in every bracket last year, boy was I pissed for about a month and a half. Just been getting pissed off because so many who have never watched one of their games, think that they are "mediocre", they certainly aren't.

Well, can't change what happened Sunday, gotta gear up for CS North. See ya in the Final 4 JC

Comment

Working...
                      X