No announcement yet.

Don't get excited GEORGIA fans BUT.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wasn't serious about UGA hiring Pat Summitt. I was being sarcastic. My point is there is more to coaching than how many times your team is on ESPN and how many more tickets you can sell. If all your looking for is publicity they could do better than hiring BK.

Comment

Originally posted by ravenmaniac View Post
      I wasn't serious about UGA hiring Pat Summitt. I was being sarcastic. My point is there is more to coaching than how many times your team is on ESPN and how many more tickets you can sell. If all your looking for is publicity they could do better than hiring BK.
      Who would be a better choice? The best ones have a good job and others probably have no interest in a Georgia job that looks like a mountain to climb. Who would generate more money and interest than Knight? He also better be a real good coach too. I can't think of anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218 View Post
        Who would be a better choice? The best ones have a good job and others probably have no interest in a Georgia job that looks like a mountain to climb. Who would generate more money and interest than Knight? He also better be a real good coach too. I can't think of anyone.
        I'm sure there are some great assistants out there or even maybe a great high school coach thats under the radar to take the job. I say instead of going with the same recycled system of coaches, go out and hire a fresh face. Boosters are always going to give money to the schools. You never know unless you try.
        He who wears diaper knows his shit - Confucius

Comment

Who would want the job? Who could do a better job? You got to be kidding. Like I said before when was the last time one of Knight's teams, either at TT or Indian were serious contenders for an NCAA title. The size of UGA's budget, the size of their arena, the fact that they play in the SEC are all attractive reasons for a coach at a smaller, less prestigous school to come to UGA. Let me tell you, if they offer enough money you would be surprised at who they could attract. I can name 3 coaches off the top of my head who would probably be interested, Jamie Dixon at Pitt., Jay Wright at Villanova and Anthony Grant at VCU. I bet Nova, Pitt and VCU couldn't match the $ that UGA could pay them.

Comment

There is not a name out there that will bring more money, more national coverage and more excitement to that program and their boosters as Bob Knight will. That is the bottom line. You can dislike him or say "Try" this instead but nobody can do those 3 things like Knight will. If i'm the school, that's what i care about.

Comment

I thought they were like Auburn and didnt have a basketball program?

Comment

We can agree to disagree on Mr. Knight. You say that nobody can bring in more excitement, more money and more national coverage than BK but that's not true. A little thing called winning brings in all three. I think the coaches I named can all do a better job at winning than Knight. How much interest was there at Memphis before they hired John Calapari and began winning. I think hiring him is like putting a lipstick on a pig. Wait and see see how many high profile players he can attract. He may sell a few extra tickets and get UGA on a few ESPN Tuesday night games initially but that's about it. We will see where UGA's program is about 3 years from now when BK walks out on them like he did TT. If UGA hires him it is obvious they have no desire to build a good BB program.

Comment

If he gets the job, i'm bumping this thread in 3 years and we'll see what their record is!

Comment

I think this would be a great move for my Dawgs. As mentioned, Georgia's program is in miserable shape, and they need to make a splash. I'm not a huge Knight fan, and at 68 years old he isn't a long term solution, but it simply can't hurt anything, b/c there is nowhere to go but up. Even if he is a train wreck he just leaves the prgram in the same shape it is now. The hiring will 100% create a buzz, and you stand a far better chance of landing some bigger name players b/c of that buzz. In basketball it really only takes a coupld of studs to come in to turn a team completely around. Then things can snowball. A couple winning seasons, a couple tourney bids, and then the place isn't taboo anymore.

Before this news came out I was really hoping Georgia would pony up some serious cash and make a splash hire. I was thinking along the lines of trying to bring Tubby back. At the right price why wouldn't he come back? Minnesota? That's a fricking wasteland up there. People go there to disappear, at least being back in the SEC he could be relevant again.

I'd also heard some rumors they were going to go after Capel, although I don't know why he would consider leaving Oklahoma. As Raven mentioned, if you throw enough money out there some guys would probably jump.
                    Last edited by harold_bush; 02-02-2009, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by harold_bush View Post
                      I think this would be a great move for my Dawgs. As mentioned, Georgia's program is in miserable shape, and they need to make a splash. I'm not a huge Knight fan, and at 68 years old he isn't a long term solution, but it simply can't hurt anything, b/c there is nowhere to go but up. Even if he is a train wreck he just leaves the prgram in the same shape it is now. The hiring will 100% create a buzz, and you stand a far better chance of landing some bigger name players b/c of that buzz. In basketball it really only takes a coupld of studs to come in to turn a team completely around. Then things can snowball. A couple winning seasons, a couple tourney bids, and then the place isn't taboo anymore.

Before this news came out I was really hoping Georgia would pony up some serious cash and make a splash hire. I was thinking along the lines of trying to bring Tubby back. At the right price why wouldn't he come back? Minnesota? That's a fricking wasteland up there. People go there to disappear, at least being back in the SEC he could be relevant again.

I'd also heard some rumors they were going to go after Capel, although I don't know why he would consider leaving Oklahoma. As Raven mentioned, if you throw enough money out there some guys would probably jump.
                      Plus Tubby won't have no kids on the team which IMO hurt him here and in Kentucky.G.G. Smith was pretty good but some guys might have not came to UGA cause they felt like they wouln't have a shot starting over his son.And if you don't think it happens just look at his son Saul at Kentucky.He was horrible and he kept puting him in all the time.If Bobby knight don't go,I would like to see Tubby come back

Comment

If he gets the job, i'm bumping this thread in 3 years and we'll see what their record is!
                        I gurantee it will be a winning record.He can coach and it might not be flashy but why do people think Duke is great every year.It ain't cause there on the ESPN highlights everyday with people dunking and shit.Thats not there style.It's because of fundamentals and defense,and thats 2 things coach Knight will teach.

Comment

1) I think he will have NO PROBLEM getting kids.

2) It's College, not the NFL. He recruits who he wants and they are not millionaire babies. He doesn't need new tricks. He is the winningest men's coach of all time and you get that by knowing how to coach these kids.

3) He had no problems at Tech and that had nothing to do with ESPN. He was much more relaxed there.

4) He didn't just walk out at Tech. The kids, program and fans knew the son was taking over and Knight gave him a 10 game jump on that.
                          Knight is a stud...bring him back!
                          Great Day To Win

MLB 2008 (19-23-1) +3.0 units

NBA 08-09 (10-7) + 1.59 units

GOY (4-1)

Comment

Originally posted by harold_bush View Post

We can't afford Tubby. Knight not a long-term fix. UGA needs to find a coach like Tubby Smith was when UGA first hired him.

Comment

Originally posted by vols fan View Post
                              Plus Tubby won't have no kids on the team which IMO hurt him here and in Kentucky.G.G. Smith was pretty good but some guys might have not came to UGA cause they felt like they wouln't have a shot starting over his son.And if you don't think it happens just look at his son Saul at Kentucky.He was horrible and he kept puting him in all the time.If Bobby knight don't go,I would like to see Tubby come back
                              I went to high school with Saul Smith, nice guy. Not a great basketball player for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Richt View Post
                                I went to high school with Saul Smith, nice guy. Not a great basketball player for sure.
                                I'm sure he was a nice guy and in high school he was probably great and even in some D-1 schools he would have been good but Kentucky is a different ball game.And I'm sure he had alot of pressure on him with his dad coaching him plus the fact of playing for Kentucky is tough enough due to how big that team/sport is in Kentucky.I would like to see Tubby come back if Knight don't come

Comment

Working...
                                X