Sucker Bets NFL Week 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by molta02
    my favorite sucker bets is when the 'public' (overused term, but for lack of a better word here) is on a dog.
    This is a perfect example of it's a matter of opinion.

My definition of a sucker bet is when the public is on favorite with a low line with the feeling the game is too easy.

IMO the "Too Easy" feeling occurs more with favorites than with dogs.

Comment

I don't think New Orleans is a sucker bet, they should win at home in that game. The "sucker" bets are Indy and Carolina, I like Indy however, but I'll stay clear of Carolina. Another one might be the Chargers.

Comment

I might be the biggest sucker ever, but I think the Jets are the best play of the weekend

Comment

Originally posted by molta02
          people always take favorites, they hate betting on what they perceive as the 'inferior' team. most of my friends are petrified to take points.
          IMO you can't win long term in the NFL betting favorites. Dogs have had a better ATS record in 13 of the past 18 season.

In those 18 season dogs have covered 51.4% of all games. Break even is 52.4% Look for live dogs to make up that 1% and a bettor will have a fun and profitable season.

I cap using statistics. I look for and use any statistical edge. That's why I rarely buy points. Buying points favors the house.

Comment

Originally posted by frankb03
            IMO you can't win long term in the NFL betting favorites. Dogs have had a better ATS record in 13 of the past 18 season.

In those 18 season dogs have covered 51.4% of all games. Break even is 52.4% Look for live dogs to make up that 1% and a bettor will have a fun and profitable season.

I cap using statistics. I look for and use any statistical edge. That's why I rarely buy points. Buying points favors the house.
            I love the pups!!!!!!! woof woof!!!!!!!
            Follow me @RR_SportsPicks
            Winning isn't everything it's the only thing!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BigWeiner
              I don't think New Orleans is a sucker bet, they should win at home in that game. The "sucker" bets are Indy and Carolina, I like Indy however, but I'll stay clear of Carolina. Another one might be the Chargers.
              me either but the perception is that Tenn should win this game going away after their first 2 games....I like NO!!!!!

Comment

Carolina is the sucker play. Unless I'm just the real sucker, in which case, the Jets are the sucker play.

Comment

This is a perfect example of it's a matter of opinion.

My definition of a sucker bet is when the public is on favorite with a low line with the feeling the game is too easy.

IMO the "Too Easy" feeling occurs more with favorites than with dogs.
                  I see it both ways......doesnt it feel "too easy" when you are giving the Cowboys points when the Bears have looked terrible so far this year.......but also it looks to easy when you have a favorite that is at -2.5 and everyone knows that they are going to kill the other team....example last week was Cincy -6.5.....All they have to do is win by a TD....it looks "too easy"!!!!!....the books love to put out numbers like that to entice the gambler........

this is the kind of stuff I wish people would have been talking about years ago so that I wouldnt of had to lose my ass and learn the hard way....that is one reason why I started this thread was to help the beginners get a different perspective then they might have heard before........also its nice to hear what everybody thinks on BC since I respect so many......

Comment

Originally posted by lewis
                    I see it both ways......doesnt it feel "too easy" when you are giving the Cowboys points when the Bears have looked terrible so far this year.......but also it looks to easy when you have a favorite that is at -2.5 and everyone knows that they are going to kill the other team....example last week was Cincy -6.5.....All they have to do is win by a TD....it looks "too easy"!!!!!....the books love to put out numbers like that to entice the gambler........

this is the kind of stuff I wish people would have been talking about years ago so that I wouldnt of had to lose my ass and learn the hard way....that is one reason why I started this thread was to help the beginners get a different perspective then they might have heard before........also its nice to hear what everybody thinks on BC since I respect so many......
                    I agree. Great discussion!

Now to answer your question. I don't think Dallas looks too easy. While the Bears have been bad on offense they're at home and still have a great defense. At the same time the Boys have scored a boat load of points. I'm not sure about the Dolphin defense but the Giants defense is VERY bad. Right now I'm probably not too impressed with the Boys offensive performance.

That being said the betting public does agree with you. You're right. The public is impressed. One site has Joe Public 61% on Dallas.

Comment

I agree. Great discussion!

Now to answer your question. I don't think Dallas looks too easy. While the Bears have been bad on offense they're at home and still have a great defense. At the same time the Boys have scored a boat load of points. I'm not sure about the Dolphin defense but the Giants defense is VERY bad. Right now I'm probably not too impressed with the Boys offensive performance.

That being said the betting public does agree with you. You're right. The public is impressed. One site has Joe Public 61% on Dallas.
                      wish that % was higher on the Cowboys........you are right this is great discussion.....

Comment

Sucker bets...traps....its ALL bullshit.....

I total disagree with these terms COMPLETELY....you take what you like and if it wins it wins and if it loses it loses....

Sucker bets and trap bets are just terms used for excuses and blah blah blah.....

A certain bet is a trap or sucker bet? How? Do you know what is gonna happen? Can you read the future? Does it really matter what the public is on? You make your bet based on how you cap/feel about a particular side and whatever happens is gonna happen regardless of these ridiculous "sucker" or "trap" terms....they have no definitions and these terms can pretty much be used for any game of any sport on any day....hillarious.....
                        SOBER SINCE MARCH 28TH OF 2007!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chado1
                          Sucker bets...traps....its ALL bullshit.....

I total disagree with these terms COMPLETELY....you take what you like and if it wins it wins and if it loses it loses....

Sucker bets and trap bets are just terms used for excuses and blah blah blah.....

A certain bet is a trap or sucker bet? How? Do you know what is gonna happen? Can you read the future? Does it really matter what the public is on? You make your bet based on how you cap/feel about a particular side and whatever happens is gonna happen regardless of these ridiculous "sucker" or "trap" terms....they have no definitions and these terms can pretty much be used for any game of any sport on any day....hillarious.....
                          Sometimes Vegas and linesmakers know some inside information that the public dosent get. Vegas has trends and probabilities that even the most serious gambler cant find on the internet. If you dont think that vegas sets a line on a game to draw in alot of action you are seriously kidding yourself. They know something is up and they will make the line and a certain team much more attractive to lure in everybody and thier money.

Comment

Originally posted by GOLDENGREEK
                            Sometimes Vegas and linesmakers know some inside information that the public dosent get. Vegas has trends and probabilities that even the most serious gambler cant find on the internet. If you dont think that vegas sets a line on a game to draw in alot of action you are seriously kidding yourself. They know something is up and they will make the line and a certain team much more attractive to lure in everybody and thier money.
                            All I am saying is that one guy can say one side is a sucker bet...the other guy can say the other side is a sucker bet....blah blah blah.....its all irrelevant....I am the opposite of you guys...I could care less if 100% of the public is on a side and I like it or visa versa....is this gonna change the outcome of the game?.....is this gonna affect the future of what is gonna happen?....NO....the fact is no matter what....it all comes down to kickoff and whatever happens happens regardless of sucker, trap, BS...blah blah blah.....
                            SOBER SINCE MARCH 28TH OF 2007!!!

Comment

I think there are sucker plays, and here's my definition, being fooled into thinking a road team is so much better than the home team, that they'll win and cover. Examples, New Orleans, Indy and Cincy last week and Carolina this week. The truth is, home dogs are great plays in all sports.

Comment

No such thing as sucker bets........ Everyone talks about sucker bets, and when they lose, say "see, I told you so"

But when people yell "sucker bets", and that game covers, its never brought up again.

Just like in Poker........ You can hardly remember all the great hands you won, by hitting your card on the Turn or the River..... But you'll alway remember those big pots you should've won, but got sucked out on 5th street.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X