No announcement yet.

"2 African-American Coaches in the SB" Count Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im not asking a rhetorical question here either........any white guys in the league been hired and fired in 1 year.....none off the top of my head

PEACE

Comment

Originally posted by MtrCtyPimp
      Art Shell looked clueless to me also but given that group and what he had to work with overall 1 year just isnt enough time to show if you are capable or not......it just isnt

PEACE
      I don't believe race played any role in Shell being fired. It certainly didn't play a role with him getting rehired.

Comment

Originally posted by frankb03
        I disagree again. Norv Turner's reputation was built being the O-coordinator for a GREAT team. Anyone could have coached and won with that offense. They had the best offensive line in NFL history, a hall of fame QB, the 2nd greatest running back in history.
        I would have to say that you are mistaken on this one......N Turner was the O Coordinator when Lamont Jordan thrived in Oakland last year.......Frank Gore in San Francisco.........Stephen Davis in Washington and Emmitt in Dallas and Michael Irvin has gone on record saying Turner deserves as much if not more credit than Jimmy Johnson for the job he did with that offense

Norv Turner is a top O Coord in the NFL

PEACE

Comment

Originally posted by MtrCtyPimp
          Emmitt in Dallas and Michael Irvin has gone on record saying Turner deserves as much if not more credit than Jimmy Johnson for the job he did with that offense
          PEACE
          IMO I wouldn't disagree with that comment. I always felt Jimmy Johnson was one of the most overrated coaches. JJ was average in Miami. You and I could have coached that Dallas team. Both their O and D coordinators were horrible head coaches.

Comment

fact is there are many great coordinators who never can make the transition to head coach. Many people forget that an NFL head coach is similar to a CEO or manager of the men who run the team. It is different on many teams but all the good ones say they have surrounded themselves with great people.....

Comment

Originally posted by Spark
              It will be a bigger deal when threads like this do not need to be opened ...

Thanks spark. Totally agree.

Comment

Originally posted by LVJimmy
                Can you imagine a pink Art Shell

I know the purple Art Shell would look like Barney, but honestly

Comment

I think that threads like this at least open up a dialogue about race and race relations. We've become so PC, and white America especially is intimidated or afraid to talk about race. Talking about race and racism are two different things. Only through open and HONEST communications will we ever get to a point that color doesn't matter. And that means EVERYONE and every race.

Comment

Are you serious...Spark? Why shouldn't this thread have been opened? Do you guys really think that this is a bad thing?
                    This is totally an awesome topic that has been opened for discussion. I will be the first to say that racism is bullshit but whether you guys believe it or not racism is still a very big problem in this country and the only way to kill it is to bring it up and talk about it. Now.....Having said that there is a reason the league has a rule that you have to interview at least one minority canidate for a head coaching position. It is because if they didn't do it none of these old ass "old school racist owners that run these teams would even consider a black head coach!!!! Doug Williams was a fucking awesome quarter back for the buccaneers and all he wanted money wise to stay with the team was 750.000, they turned him down for sorry ass rookie Vinnie Testicles and guess what happened the very next year????Superbowl M.V.P with the Redskins and the bucs paid Vinnie a MILLION PLUS to be the worst quarterback in tha league. This should be talked about because still a very big deal!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Excuse my lack of political correctness, but.............

They are two good coaches with two good teams. End of story.
                      Last edited by harold_bush; 01-22-2007, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by robby_morini
                        Come on guys, let this one go. Nothing good can come out of this.

That is the post of the day.

The day is a historical one because of the significance of their color. and its gonna be talked about, and it should be this year. It opens a huge door for black coaches everywhere and god willing we WON'T have to talk about this anymore next year.

But Rob your 100% right.....no good unless your embracing the good out of this can come of this thread.

Comment

amen brother!

Comment

Originally posted by TheRook
                            amen brother!
                            Just out of curiousity, what problem do you have with a thread like this being opened? I believe the first post referred to the number of times this will be mentioned and beat to deathby the "experts". Do you think it is a big news story, (which means the thread would be fine) or a no story?

Comment

Originally posted by dubbb
                              Are you serious...Spark? Why shouldn't this thread have been opened? Do you guys really think that this is a bad thing?
                              This is totally an awesome topic that has been opened for discussion. I will be the first to say that racism is bullshit but whether you guys believe it or not racism is still a very big problem in this country and the only way to kill it is to bring it up and talk about it. Now.....Having said that there is a reason the league has a rule that you have to interview at least one minority canidate for a head coaching position. It is because if they didn't do it none of these old ass "old school racist owners that run these teams would even consider a black head coach!!!! Doug Williams was a fucking awesome quarter back for the buccaneers and all he wanted money wise to stay with the team was 750.000, they turned him down for sorry ass rookie Vinnie Testicles and guess what happened the very next year????Superbowl M.V.P with the Redskins and the bucs paid Vinnie a MILLION PLUS to be the worst quarterback in tha league. This should be talked about because still a very big deal!!!!!!!!!!!

But explain to me how that doesn't just reinforce the definition of "token" candidate? If the person has no chance of being hired, isn't it more insulting and racial (not racist) to be brought in to interview because you "have to" as opposed to "want to"? Mariucci (sp) was Det's first choose for a head coach (right or wrong is a different subject) so Detroit is "required" to interview other people even though they can lose out on who they want and the other "candidates" are only being brought in to make appearances and appease a dumb rule? That's really got to make these "candidates" feel welcome and special when they are required to bring them in for an "interview" as opposed to "wanting" to.

Comment

Originally posted by dubbb

You are taking my post the wrong way ... Musclemann got what I meant ...

Not saying this thread should not have been opened .. what i am saying it will be a good time in sports when we will not be talking about this ..

Now do you get it???

Comment

Working...
                                X