Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coaching Philosophy Debate..feedback wanted...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaching Philosophy Debate..feedback wanted...

I have long wondered why coaches do not employee this philosophy in desperate situations and it happened today...or am I out of my mind? I remember the Packers doing this in the SB against the Broncos.

Texas/Iowa...Iowa uses its last time out after a first down run with around 1:50 left in the game and it is 2nd and long, no timeouts, down 2. If you do the math- 25 seconds play clock, 3 plays left...they are going to get the ball back with less than 15 seonds left and have to go, most likely 80 yds in one play because they will not have time for a field goal...

Why not let Texas score? You get the ball back with 1:30 left and you have a better chance of scoring, recovering an onside kick and scoring again, then you do of scoring on 1 play from 80+ yards.

Am I crazy?
    Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

definitely used in arena, but quess they try for the turnover - better %?

But the dude stepped out of bounds, every play reviewed my ass!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Three Jack
      I have long wondered why coaches do not employee this philosophy in desperate situations and it happened today...or am I out of my mind? I remember the Packers doing this in the SB against the Broncos.

Texas/Iowa...Iowa uses its last time out after a first down run with around 1:50 left in the game and it is 2nd and long, no timeouts, down 2. If you do the math- 25 seconds play clock, 3 plays left...they are going to get the ball back with less than 15 seonds left and have to go, most likely 80 yds in one play because they will not have time for a field goal...

Why not let Texas score? You get the ball back with 1:30 left and you have a better chance of scoring, recovering an onside kick and scoring again, then you do of scoring on 1 play from 80+ yards.

Am I crazy?
      In the case of GB it was brilliant. I don't think it's wise strategy if you are losing then needing 2 scores. Look what happened to Navy. They fumbled, recovered by BC for a FG.

Comment

Originally posted by frankb03
        In the case of GB it was brilliant. I don't think it's wise strategy if you are losing then needing 2 scores. Look what happened to Navy. They fumbled, recovered by BC for a FG.
        BC got lucky that the QB didn't play the play the right way and go with the FB dive on the option...its a no brainer.

It's ballsy but to sit back and wait for the ball...I don't get it. I have seen more teams score twice in the last 90 seconds than I have teams go 80 yards in 15 seconds.

Comment

The Redskins were in the same position when the Giants ran the ball on 1st and G after the face mask penalty at the end of the game.

Would it have mattered? Most likely not, but what's better?

Letting the Giants score and receiving the ball down 13 with 1:20 left or tackling the ball carrier at the 1 yd line then watching the Giants take a knee and walk off victorious?
          The Rice Truck is NEVER Wrong!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bigjimt
            The Redskins were in the same position when the Giants ran the ball on 1st and G after the face mask penalty at the end of the game.

Would it have mattered? Most likely not, but what's better?

Letting the Giants score and receiving the ball down 13 with 1:20 left or tackling the ball carrier at the 1 yd line then watching the Giants take a knee and walk off victorious?
            I think players instincts take over in situations like that.

Comment

Agreed... that's why coaches are paid to make strategic decisions for them.

Again, it probably made no difference.

Comment

I think a better question is how do Head Coaches continually mismanage when it is correct to attempt a 2pt conversion.

HCs get that wide eyed Mike Tyson disoriented look on their faces when any score takes them off the basic 3 and 7 numbers.

Comment

even if the redskins parted like the red sea, do you think eli would run it in, maybe if you were talking about a couple plays before, but a disiplined player would go down not run it in. simular to not going out of bounds as I see it ?.?.?.?

Comment

U idiot a texas score and extra point makes it 9 do the math that equals two score.....stupid
                    Best of Luck Everyone

2012 Record:

1 unit = $100

***All sides and totals -110 unless noted***

***Teasers are -120 & 7 Points on Sides and 5 Points on Totals ties push****

Comment

Originally posted by Pitt37
                      U idiot a texas score and extra point makes it 9 do the math that equals two score.....stupid
                      Pitt, you're the idiot...read my post asshole...it clearly says they need two scores, perhaps read before calling someone names...did you miss the class where they tauht you how to read....

Comment

Originally posted by Pitt37
                        TRY READING THIS ONE MORE TIME, CALL ME IF YOU NEED HELP!

Comment

I'm glad Dallas didn't try this tonight.
                          Records:

NCAA Hoops (38-34-2, +4.59*)
                          NFL Sides (34-25, +12.15*)
                          NFL Totals (18-14-1, +8.23*)
                          NCAA Foots Plays (65-48-4, +21.47*)
                          NBA Plays (4-1-0, +5.92*)

Comment

I was thinking of this thread as victory was slipping through Tony Romo's fingers.

I'm sure he'll enjoy the ProBowl... I bet they even let him hold for kicks.

Comment

bump for Pitt37.....

Comment

Working...
                              X