Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cnotes 2020/2021 NHL Season Long Trends, News, Notes, Picks !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9WASHINGTON -10 NY ISLANDERS
    NY ISLANDERS are 14-2 ATS (11.4 Units) in home games against excellent power play teams- scoring on >17.5% of their chances in the current season.

11BOSTON -12 BUFFALO
    BUFFALO is 6-32 ATS (-29.2 Units) off a loss by 2 goals or more to a division rival in the last 3 seasons.

13CAROLINA -14 FLORIDA
    CAROLINA is 7-0 ATS (7.7 Units) against good possession teams-averaging 3+ more shots on goal than opp in the current season.

15COLUMBUS -16 TAMPA BAY
    COLUMBUS are 12-28 ATS (-14.6 Units) against mistake free teams - opponents average <=4 power plays/game in the current season.

17NEW JERSEY -18 PITTSBURGH
    NEW JERSEY is 7-1 ATS (5.9 Units) in road games after allowing 4 goals or more in a loss to a division rival over the last 2 seasons.

19PHILADELPHIA -20 NY RANGERS
    NY RANGERS are 15-3 ATS (13 Units) against horrible power play killing teams-opp score on >19% of chances in the 2nd half of the year over the last 2 seasons.

21DALLAS -22 DETROIT
    DALLAS are 15-33 ATS (-21.3 Units) when playing their 3rd game in 4 days in the last 3 seasons.

23COLORADO -24 ST LOUIS
    ST LOUIS are 1-7 ATS (-10.8 Units) in home games against excellent power play teams - scoring on > 19% of their chances in the current season.

27OTTAWA -28 VANCOUVER
    VANCOUVER is 7-0 ATS (7 Units) in home games when playing 3 or less games in 10 days over the last 2 seasons.

81TORONTO -82 WINNIPEG
    TORONTO is 9-0 ATS (9 Units) in road games vs. winning teams in the current season.

Comment

• NHL
      Dunkel

Thursday, April 22

Comment

• NHL

Thursday, April 22

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Trend Report
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boston @ Buffalo
        Boston
        Boston is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
        Boston is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Buffalo
        Buffalo
        The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Buffalo's last 5 games when playing at home against Boston
        The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Buffalo's last 5 games when playing Boston

Carolina @ Florida
        Carolina
        The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Carolina's last 5 games
        Carolina is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing Florida
        Florida
        Florida is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home
        Florida is 6-1 ATS in its last 7 games at home

Washington @ NY Islanders
        Washington
        The total has gone OVER in 5 of Washington's last 5 games
        The total has gone OVER in 5 of Washington's last 6 games on the road
        NY Islanders
        NY Islanders is 7-1 SU in its last 8 games at home
        The total has gone UNDER in 5 of NY Islanders's last 6 games at home

New Jersey @ Pittsburgh
        New Jersey
        New Jersey is 6-1 ATS in its last 7 games when playing on the road against Pittsburgh
        The total has gone OVER in 4 of New Jersey's last 5 games on the road
        Pittsburgh
        Pittsburgh is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games at home
        Pittsburgh is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing New Jersey

Columbus @ Tampa Bay
        Columbus
        Columbus is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Tampa Bay
        Columbus is 15-1 ATS in its last 16 games when playing Tampa Bay
        Tampa Bay
        The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Tampa Bay's last 6 games when playing at home against Columbus
        The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Tampa Bay's last 8 games at home

Philadelphia @ NY Rangers
        Philadelphia
        Philadelphia is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games when playing on the road against NY Rangers
        Philadelphia is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games on the road
        NY Rangers
        NY Rangers is 7-1 ATS in its last 8 games at home
        The total has gone OVER in 7 of NY Rangers's last 8 games at home

Toronto @ Winnipeg
        Toronto
        Toronto is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Winnipeg
        Toronto is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games when playing on the road against Winnipeg
        Winnipeg
        Winnipeg is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games when playing Toronto
        The total has gone OVER in 17 of Winnipeg's last 23 games when playing Toronto

Dallas @ Detroit
        Dallas
        Dallas is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games when playing Detroit
        Dallas is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games
        Detroit
        Detroit is 10-3 ATS in its last 13 games at home
        The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Detroit's last 8 games at home

Colorado @ St. Louis
        Colorado
        Colorado is 9-1 SU in its last 10 games
        Colorado is 7-1 SU in its last 8 games when playing St. Louis
        St. Louis
        St. Louis is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games when playing Colorado
        St. Louis is 9-2 SU in its last 11 games when playing at home against Colorado

Ottawa @ Vancouver
        Ottawa
        Ottawa is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games on the road
        Ottawa is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games
        Vancouver
        Vancouver is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games when playing at home against Ottawa
        Vancouver is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against Ottawa

Comment

• Friday’s 6-pack
          Major league leaders in run differential:

+37— Dodgers
          +24— Milwaukee
          +23— Boston
          +17— Cincinnati
          +14— White Sox
          +10— Toronto, San Francisco
          Americans who have died from COVID-19: 569,438
          PLEASE wear a mask (over your nose/mouth) when you go out.

Quote of the Day
          “Every GOAT I’ve trained is driven more by failure than success. They wouldn’t trade their failures for anything.”
          Tom House

Friday’s quiz
          Who led the major leagues in hits from 1990-99?
          Hint: He isn’t a Hall of Famer.

Thursday’s quiz
          When the Cubs won the World Series in 2016, they beat Cleveland.

Wednesday’s quiz
          Peyton Manning was the first pick of the 1998 NFL Draft; Ryan Leaf was the #2 pick.

Friday’s Den: Random stuff with the weekend here…….

13) Cleveland pitcher Aaron Civale is on my fantasy baseball team; turned the Indians’ game on last night to watch him pitch against New York, thought he got squeezed by the home plate umpire in the first inning. Strike zone seemed to widen some when Cleveland batted.

I can be paranoid now and then, so checked at the boxscore to see who the home plate umpire was; as long as I didn’t see one name, it would be no big deal. But then I saw it……..

Sure enough, Will Bleepin’ Little was umpiring home plate; Cleveland wasn’t going to win.

12) Since the start of the 2015 season, Bronx Bombers are 12-1 when Little calls balls/strikes in their games; in the one loss, the last out was a fly ball to the fence that would’ve won the game.

Back in 2017, I was sitting at a bar having lunch, watching the A’s play in the Bronx; they lost 3-2, the only game A’s 2B Jed Lowrie has ever been thrown out of, that’s how bad Little was.

Sure enough, Indians lost 6-3 last night, though Civale did OK. Little shouldn’t be allowed to ump behind the plate when the Bronx Bombers are playing.

11) The new thing in baseball is having players who can play several positions; it helps if guys get hurt and makes teams more flexible, but I’m thinking it also hurts a team’s defense— if a guy is playing several positions, he has to practice lot of different throws, hard to excel at any one of the positions.

Watching lot of games every night, between the shifts putting fielders in unusual places, and guys playing several positions, think infield defense has suffered some so far this season.

10) St Louis Cardinals scored 44 runs in Jack Flaherty’s first four starts, winning all four.

Cardinals scored 7 runs in Carlos Martinez’s first four starts, losing all four.

9) Giants 3, Marlins 0— This is a genuinely weird stat; Giants’ backup C Curt Casali started this game, and for his 5th straight start, the Giants threw a shutout.

8) Arizona 14, Cincinnati 11 (10):
          — Game was 2-1 Arizona after the 5th inning.
          — David Peralta was 5-6 with seven RBI for Arizona.
          — Cincinnati hit six home runs and still lost.

7) Padres 3, Dodgers 2— San Diego 2B Jake Cronenworth made two great defensive plays to help save this game, starting an 8th inning double play after fielding a vicious smash hit by Sheldon Neuse. He doesn’t field the ball, and the Dodgers tie the game, at least.

6) Blake Snell has started four games for San Diego, but pitched a total of only 15.1 innings; that isn’t enough, especially with Dinelson Lamet now out with another arm injury. In four starts, Snell hasn’t gotten an out after the 5th inning.

Aces on a pitching staff have to give the bullpens a breather, or else the bullpens will get worn out as the summer goes on.

5) College football teams will have to try 2-point conversions after TD’s in the second overtime period of games rather than the third, according to a change approved Thursday by the NCAA.

If the game is still tied after the second OT, then they’ll do 2-point conversion shootouts, kind of the way the NHL does their shootouts.

4) If the NBA regular season ended today, the Knicks would have home court edge in the first round of the playoffs— didn’t see that coming.

3) Baseball injuries:

— Cubs put OF Joc Pederson (wrist) on IL
          — Padres put P Dinelson Lamet (arm) on IL
          — Giants put SS Donovan Solano (calf) on IL
          — Marlins put 3B Brian Anderson (oblique) on IL.

2) I’m not fond of mock drafts; there are too many of them. I’m interesting in what a guy like Mel Kiper or Daniel Jeremiah on NFL Network, but when the same person does four of them, then throws in a bunch of trades, they’re just making stuff up for clickbait.

It becomes a waste of time.

Plus I root for the Rams, who haven’t made a first round pick since 2016, so it doesn’t matter as much to me as it does to other fans.

1) NL East standings:
          7-7: Mets
          9-9: Phillies
          8-10: Marlins, Braves
          7-9: Nationals

Going to be an interesting summer in that division.

Comment

• 29PHILADELPHIA -30 NY RANGERS
            NY RANGERS are 15-3 ATS (13 Units) against horrible power play killing teams-opp score on >19% of chances in the 2nd half of the year over the last 2 seasons.

31BOSTON -32 BUFFALO
            BUFFALO is 154-165 ATS (24.5 Units) against good teams - outscoring their opponents by 0.3+ goals/game - 2nd half of the season since 1996.

35NASHVILLE -36 CHICAGO
            NASHVILLE is 20-5 ATS (14.9 Units) vs. losing teams in the current season.

37MINNESOTA -38 LOS ANGELES
            LOS ANGELES are 10-2 ATS (7.8 Units) in home games when playing with 2 days rest over the last 2 seasons.

37MINNESOTA -38 LOS ANGELES
            TODD MCLELLAN is 10-2 ATS (7.8 Units) in home games when playing with 2 days rest (Coach of LOS ANGELES)

69MONTREAL -70 CALGARY
            CALGARY is 9-17 ATS (-13.9 Units) against poor defensive teams - allowing 2.85+ goals/game in the current season.

NHL
            Dunkel

Friday, April 23

NHL

Friday, April 23

Trend Report

Boston @ Buffalo
            Boston
            Boston is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games
            Boston is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
            Buffalo
            The total has gone UNDER in 9 of Buffalo's last 10 games when playing Boston
            The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Buffalo's last 8 games when playing at home against Boston

Philadelphia @ NY Rangers
            Philadelphia
            Philadelphia is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games when playing on the road against NY Rangers
            Philadelphia is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games on the road
            NY Rangers
            NY Rangers is 7-2 ATS in its last 9 games at home
            The total has gone OVER in 7 of NY Rangers's last 9 games at home

Nashville @ Chicago
            Nashville
            Nashville is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games when playing Chicago
            Nashville is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games when playing Chicago
            Chicago
            Chicago is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games at home
            The total has gone OVER in 4 of Chicago's last 5 games at home

Montreal @ Calgary
            Montreal
            The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Montreal's last 5 games when playing Calgary
            Montreal is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Calgary
            Calgary
            The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Calgary's last 5 games when playing Montreal
            The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Calgary's last 5 games when playing at home against Montreal

Minnesota @ Los Angeles
            Minnesota
            Minnesota is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
            Minnesota is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games
            Los Angeles
            Los Angeles is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games when playing at home against Minnesota
            The total has gone OVER in 6 of Los Angeles's last 7 games

Comment

• Great Job Rance! Stan looking forward to your return!

Comment

• Saturday’s 6-pack
                Major league leaders in batting average (minimum 30 AB’s):

.429— Yermin Mercedes, CWS
                .408— Brandon Nimmo, NYM
                .394— Ronald Acuna Jr, Atl
                .393— Mike Trout, LAA
                .382— Jesse Winker, Cin
                .381— Vladimir Guerrero Jr, Tor
                Americans who have died from COVID-19: 570,987

Quote of the Day
                “I get frustrated. I feel like there are a lot of people in the draft [where] some guys get a pass and some guys don’t. Certainly people have taken shots at Justin.”
                Ohio State coach Ryan Day, talking about Justin Fields’ draft status with the media

Saturday’s quiz
                In the history of major league baseball, who has pitched in the most games?
                Hint: He was a reliever; not in the Hall of Fame, no longer active

Friday’s quiz
                Mark Grace led the major leagues in hits from 1990-99.

Thursday’s quiz
                When the Cubs won the World Series in 2016, they beat Cleveland.

Saturday’s Den: Clearing out a cluttered mind…….

— Got my first vaccine shot Friday morning. Allow me to preach for a few minutes:

Left my house at 9:15am; walked back in the house at 10:17am.

Drove to a ****, walked into the clearly marked area; military people were all over to guide me to the right place.

Gave the people my information, waited on line for a few minutes, got my shot, sat in a waiting area for 15 minutes and decompressed, then I went home.

Second shot is in three weeks; very simple process. Very well-organized site.

I encourage EVERYONE to get vaccinated, so our lives can get back to normal.

— One of the amusing things about being old(ER) is how young people sometimes talk to me.

I gave the guy my phone number to put in the computer; “Is that a landline or a cellphone?”
                “Sir, do you have E. MAIL?” Like it is a foreign language or something.

Oy.

— Over the last four seasons, Jacob deGrom has 33 no-decisions in 80 starts; his ERA in those 33 no-decisions is 1.74, which is pretty remarkable.

— Los Angeles Dodger pinch hitters are 0-18 this season, with two walks.

— Dodgers’ SS Corey Seager is 11-20 against Colorado this season.
                Corey Seager is 1-21 against San Diego this season.

— Dodgers have been favored to win their last 99 games, the longest-such streak in the last five years.

— Friday night. Tampa Bay P Tyler Glasnow became the first big league pitcher since 1902 (1902!!!) to give up 4+ runs in the first inning of a game, while also striking out four batters in that same inning.

— Thursday night, Seattle Mariners scored 7 runs on 3 hits; they’re the first team since 1994 to score 7+ runs on 3 or fewer hits.

— Houston Astros’ SS Carlos Correa is a free agent this winter; he’s already turned down a deal worth $125M over five years, figured he’ll make more than that in free agency.

Here’s the thing: Correa has played more than 110 games in a season ONCE in his career, and that was way back in 2016. One of the best abilities is availability; Correa has been productive in playoff games, but if you want to bank $30M a year, you need to be productive most every day.

— Kansas City Chiefs/Baltimore Ravens made a trade Friday:
                Chiefs get:
                — Pro Bowl tackle Orlando Brown
                — A 2021 2nd-round pick (# 58)
                — A 2022 6th-round pick.

Ravens get:
                — KC’s 2021 1st-round pick (#31 overall),
                — KC’s 3rd-round pick (#94)
                — KC’s 4th-round pick (#136)
                — A 2022 5th-round pick

— Memphis 130, Portland 128— These teams are playing each other three times in six days, which is very weird scheduling by the NBA.

— Random trivia: actor George Clooney is the nephew of the famous singer Rosemary Clooney; apparently, I’m the only person in America who didn’t know this.

— When I was a kid, people were always saying how you should aspire to be a doctor or a lawyer, jobs where you make a lot of money. Sound advice.

If I was advising a young person, I’d tell him to become a beer distributor; you still make a lot of money, and you ain’t ever going to run out of customers. Plus, it doesn’t require graduate school.

When I was a kid, two guys in my neighborhood drove Cadillacs:
                — Mr Reilly, who owned two funeral homes
                — Mr Oliver, the beer distributor

Comment

• 39NEW JERSEY -40 PITTSBURGH
                  PITTSBURGH is 10-0 ATS (10 Units) in home games after playing 2 consecutive home games in the current season.

41COLORADO -42 ST LOUIS
                  ST LOUIS are 1-8 ATS (-11.8 Units) in home games against excellent power play teams - scoring on > 19% of their chances in the current season.

43CAROLINA -44 FLORIDA
                  CAROLINA is 8-0 ATS (8.7 Units) against good possession teams-averaging 3+ more shots on goal than opp in the current season.

45TORONTO -46 WINNIPEG
                  TORONTO is 10-0 ATS (10 Units) in road games vs. winning teams in the current season.

47DALLAS -48 DETROIT
                  DALLAS are 15-21 ATS (-12.9 Units) against poor power play killing teams - opp score on >17.5% of chances in the current season.

49MONTREAL -50 CALGARY
                  CALGARY is 9-17 ATS (-13.9 Units) against poor defensive teams - allowing 2.85+ goals/game in the current season.

51WASHINGTON -52 NY ISLANDERS
                  NY ISLANDERS are 14-3 ATS (10.1 Units) in home games against excellent power play teams- scoring on >17.5% of their chances in the current season.

53MINNESOTA -54 SAN JOSE
                  SAN JOSE is 47-67 ATS (-26.7 Units) after one or more consecutive overs in the last 3 seasons.

55ARIZONA -56 LOS ANGELES
                  LOS ANGELES are 14-7 ATS (10.7 Units) in home games against excellent power play teams - scoring on > 19% of their chances over the last 2 seasons.

55ARIZONA -56 LOS ANGELES
                  TODD MCLELLAN is 14-7 ATS (6.3 Units) in home games against excellent power play teams - scoring on > 19% of their chances (Coach of LOS ANGELES)

Comment

• NHL

Saturday, April 24

Trend Report

New Jersey @ Pittsburgh
                    New Jersey
                    New Jersey is 6-2 ATS in its last 8 games when playing on the road against Pittsburgh
                    The total has gone OVER in 8 of New Jersey's last 11 games
                    Pittsburgh
                    Pittsburgh is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games at home
                    Pittsburgh is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games when playing New Jersey

Colorado @ St. Louis
                    Colorado
                    Colorado is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
                    Colorado is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing St. Louis
                    St. Louis
                    St. Louis is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games at home
                    St. Louis is 17-5 SU in its last 22 games when playing at home against Colorado

Carolina @ Florida
                    Carolina
                    Carolina is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Florida
                    Carolina is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games
                    Florida
                    Florida is 7-1 SU in its last 8 games at home
                    Florida is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games at home

Washington @ NY Islanders
                    Washington
                    The total has gone OVER in 7 of Washington's last 8 games
                    Washington is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games when playing NY Islanders
                    NY Islanders
                    The total has gone UNDER in 6 of NY Islanders's last 7 games at home
                    NY Islanders is 13-3 SU in its last 16 games at home

Montreal @ Calgary
                    Montreal
                    The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Montreal's last 6 games when playing Calgary
                    Montreal is 4-2 ATS in its last 6 games when playing on the road against Calgary
                    Calgary
                    Calgary is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games when playing Montreal
                    Calgary is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games when playing Montreal

Dallas @ Detroit
                    Dallas
                    Dallas is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games
                    Dallas is 6-2 SU in its last 8 games when playing Detroit
                    Detroit
                    Detroit is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games when playing at home against Dallas
                    Detroit is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against Dallas

Toronto @ Winnipeg
                    Toronto
                    Toronto is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Winnipeg
                    Toronto is 6-1 ATS in its last 7 games when playing on the road against Winnipeg
                    Winnipeg
                    The total has gone OVER in 18 of Winnipeg's last 24 games when playing Toronto
                    The total has gone OVER in 8 of Winnipeg's last 11 games when playing at home against Toronto

Minnesota @ San Jose
                    Minnesota
                    Minnesota is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
                    Minnesota is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games
                    San Jose
                    The total has gone OVER in 8 of San Jose's last 10 games when playing at home against Minnesota
                    San Jose is 15-7 SU in its last 22 games when playing at home against Minnesota

Vegas @ Anaheim
                    Vegas
                    Vegas is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
                    Vegas is 8-1 SU in its last 9 games when playing Anaheim
                    Anaheim
                    The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Anaheim's last 7 games
                    The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Anaheim's last 5 games at home

Arizona @ Los Angeles
                    Arizona
                    The total has gone OVER in 5 of Arizona's last 6 games on the road
                    The total has gone OVER in 12 of Arizona's last 17 games
                    Los Angeles
                    The total has gone OVER in 7 of Los Angeles's last 8 games
                    The total has gone OVER in 5 of Los Angeles's last 6 games at home

Ottawa @ Vancouver
                    Ottawa
                    The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Ottawa's last 5 games when playing Vancouver
                    Ottawa is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games on the road
                    Vancouver
                    The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Vancouver's last 5 games when playing Ottawa
                    Vancouver is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games when playing Ottawa

Comment

• NHL
                      Dunkel

Saturday, April 24

Comment

• Sunday’s 6-pack
                        Major league leaders in on-base %age (minimum 30 AB’s):

.521— Mike Trout, LAA
                        .492— Brandon Nimmo, NYM
                        .482— Vladimir Guerrero, Tor
                        .469— Bryce Harper, Phil
                        .465— Yermin Mercedes, CWS
                        .461— Ronald Acuna, Atl

Quote of the Day
                        “We knew as a team, especially after the first week, we were way better than that. Big shoutout to the coaches and the manager to have no panicking, It would only take one game to get us going on. That’s what happened. Everybody started feeling better, everybody started to relax a little bit. The pitchers have been amazing. I think they’re a big reason why we started the winning streak. It’s a lot of fun. We’ll go day by day and see how long we can stretch this streak.”
                        A’s shortstop Elvis Andrus

Sunday’s quiz
                        Who is the only active NFL quarterback who has thrown 7 TD’s in a game?

Saturday’s quiz
                        In the history of major league baseball, Jesse Orosco has pitched in the most games, 1,252.

Friday’s quiz
                        Mark Grace led the major leagues in hits from 1990-99.

************************************************** *******

Sunday’s Den: Wrapping up a sports Saturday

13) College football teams are having their spring practices now, which traditionally end with an intrasquad game- the question is this:

Will coaches be hesitant to name a starting QB for the fall, for fear that the guy who isn’t named the starter will transfer? Naming a starter on August 25 instead of April 25 makes it more likely that you’ll have both guys for this coming season.

12) Jacob deGrom has started four games this season; opponents swung at 225 of his pitches, whiffing on 100 of them. He’s given up 13 hits, 80 foul balls, had 32 outs on batted balls.

11) Astros 16, Angels 2— Houston starter Jake Odorizzi left this game after 5 pitches with an arm problem; they brought Kent Emanuel to make his major league debut. Little did they know that Emanuel would finish the game, giving up five hits, two runs, throwing 90 pitches.

28-year old rookies aren’t generally big prospects; he’s the first pitcher to throw 8.2+ innings in his MLB debut since Jesse Litsch in 2007.

10) As of 9pm Saturday, there were 184 major leaguers on the IL, 6.1 guys per team.

9) Mariners 8, Red Sox 2— Couple guys on Seattle hit balls 410-415 feet to centerfield, but that is the deepest part of Fenway Park- they got doubles instead.

Long time ago, some radio wise guys snuck into Fenway and and measured 287 feet from home plate to the left field foul pole on the Green Monster. Unusual ballpark.

8) Orel Hershiser was telling a story on TV last night about when the Dodgers started using videos to study trends of opponents, 30-35 years ago. Dodgers gave them $10,000 to put together a video room, with two 24-inch TV’s and two VCR’s.

Technology has come a very long way since then; everyone has I-Pads in the dugout now to study what just happened.

7) Dodgers 5, Padres 4:
                        — Season series is now 3-3 between these division rivals.
                        — 26th straight start that Blake Snell pitched less than six innings.
                        — Fernando Tatis Jr hit two homers, has four in his last two games. I’m playing against his team in fantasy this week- no bueno.

6) Phillies 7, Rockies 5— Good night to have Rhys Hoskins on your fantasy team; he hit a couple homers, knocked in five runs.

5) Cardinals 2, Reds 0— Cincinnati has lost six in a row since starting season 8-5.

4) Minnesota 101, Utah 96:
                        — In each of their last three games, Timberwolves allowed 40+ points in the first quarter.
                        — Jazz scored 40 points in first quarter, a combined 34 in 2nd/3rd quarters.

3) Only 34% of active NFL players last year were picked in rounds 1-3 of the draft; thats how important a team’s GM/scouts are. It is also a big part of why the NFL Draft is so interesting.

2) Cleveland Browns re-joined the NFL in 1999, after the original Browns bolted to Baltimore; this fall, Baker Mayfield will be the first Browns QB to start in Week 1, three years in a row.

1) I’ll finish today with a quick story; long time ago, maybe 1985-86, something like that, I was on the first down chain gang at a semi-pro football game at Bleecker Stadium in Albany— Metro Mallers were hosting a team from Massachusetts.

Some of the Mallers had played college football at UAlbany, where I had been the basketball manager; we go on the field for a measurement, one of the linebackers says to me, “What the hell are you doing here?” We just laughed.

Chains were on the visiting team’s sideline; they had the ball around midfield and it turns out I am standing next to the head coach, who is calling plays.

He has his play chart in his left hand, studying it carefully; he has an open can of Pabst Blue Ribbon in his right hand, taking a swig now and then. Welcome to semi-pro football!!

Comment

• 59BOSTON -60 PITTSBURGH
                          PITTSBURGH is 7-0 ATS (7 Units) in home games revenging a loss versus opponent as a favorite in the current season.

61BUFFALO -62 NY RANGERS
                          BUFFALO is 10-37 ATS (-30.7 Units) in road games after playing a home game in the last 3 seasons.

63NEW JERSEY -64 PHILADELPHIA
                          PHILADELPHIA is 1-6 ATS (-7.3 Units) in home games against poor defensive teams - >=29 shots on goal, convert >=17% pp in the current season.

65COLUMBUS -66 TAMPA BAY
                          COLUMBUS are 12-29 ATS (-15.6 Units) against mistake free teams - opponents average <=4 power plays/game in the current season.

NHL
                          Dunkel

Sunday, April 25

NHL

Sunday, April 25

Trend Report

Boston @ Pittsburgh
                          Boston
                          Boston is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games
                          The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Boston's last 6 games when playing Pittsburgh
                          Pittsburgh
                          Pittsburgh is 7-1 SU in its last 8 games when playing at home against Boston
                          Pittsburgh is 7-1 SU in its last 8 games at home

Buffalo @ NY Rangers
                          Buffalo
                          Buffalo is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games on the road
                          The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Buffalo's last 7 games when playing NY Rangers
                          NY Rangers
                          The total has gone UNDER in 6 of NY Rangers's last 7 games when playing Buffalo
                          NY Rangers is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games when playing at home against Buffalo

New Jersey @ Philadelphia
                          New Jersey
                          New Jersey is 11-5 SU in its last 16 games when playing on the road against Philadelphia
                          The total has gone UNDER in 13 of New Jersey's last 19 games when playing on the road against Philadelphia
                          Philadelphia
                          The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Philadelphia's last 5 games
                          Philadelphia is 6-2 ATS in its last 8 games when playing New Jersey

Columbus @ Tampa Bay
                          Columbus
                          Columbus is 15-2 ATS in its last 17 games when playing Tampa Bay
                          Columbus is 7-1 ATS in its last 8 games when playing on the road against Tampa Bay
                          Tampa Bay
                          The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Tampa Bay's last 7 games when playing at home against Columbus
                          The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Tampa Bay's last 5 games

Comment

• Monday’s 6-pack
                            Major league leaders in slugging %age (min 30 ABs):

.804— Mike Trout, LAA
                            .786— Ronald Acuna, Atl
                            .753— JD Martinez, Bos
                            .694— Nelson Cruz, Minn
                            .667— Jesse Winker, Cinn
                            .662— Shohei Ohtani, LAA

Quote of the Day
                            “According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Major League Baseball’s official statistician, neither a team nor an individual pitcher will be credited with a no-no in a scheduled seven-inning game of a doubleheader — unless that game goes to extras. If the contest extends to at least nine innings and that pitcher (or a team’s group of pitchers) has still not allowed a hit, then it goes down in the history books as a no-no.”
                            MLB.com‘s Matt Kelly

Monday’s quiz
                            How many active NFL QB’s have thrown six TD passes in a game?

Sunday’s quiz
                            Nick Foles is the only active NFL quarterback who has thrown 7 TD’s in a game.

Saturday’s quiz
                            In the history of major league baseball, Jesse Orosco has pitched in the most games, 1,252.

************************************************** ****

Monday’s Den: Wrapping up a sports weekend

13) Hitting is more difficult now because batters seldom face the same pitcher three times in a game; after the 5th inning, they generally see a different pitcher in every at-bat.

In his Hall of Fame career, Mickey Mantle faced the same pitchers a lot more than guys do these days. Fewer teams, no interleague play, and starting pitchers lasted longer in games.

Mantle faced these four pitchers the most:
                            198 times— Billy Pierce
                            161— Early Wynn
                            138— Frank Lary
                            128— Camilo Pascual

By way of comparison, in his 10-year career, Manny Machado has faced these pitchers the most:
                            56— CC Sabathia
                            52— Chris Archer
                            48— Jake Odorizzi
                            41— David Price

See what I mean?

12) Arizona 5-7, Atlanta 0-0:
                            — Tough day for the Braves, who got one hit in 14 innings.
                            — Madison Bumgarner threw a 7-inning no-hitter; the only runner reached on an error.

Three no-hitters already this season; there were no walks in those no-hitters.

11) Padres 8, Dodgers 7 (11):
                            — LA led this game 7-1 after six innings; over the last 50 years, teams that led by 6+ runs from the 7th inning on are 11-13,547. Seriously, 11 wins, 13,547 losses.
                            — Max Muncy walked five times, first Dodger to do that since Greg Brock in 1983.

10) In his three starts since tossing a no-hitter, San Diego’s Joe Musgrove has pitched only 14 innings. Padres need more innings out of their starting pitchers.

9) There were 68 extra inning games last year, under the new extra-inning rule; 47 of the 68 games ended in the 10th inning, which is what MLB wants.

8) Fernando Tatis Jr hit five homers in his last three games; I was playing against him in our fantasy league, so that made me queasy, but the good guys won. Tatis is hitting .246 with 7 homers, but he was explosive this weekend, for sure.

Obscure trivia: Last major leaguer to hit 2+ homers in three consecutive games was Jeff DaVanon of the Angels, in 2003.

Weird thing is, he hit only 33 career homers in eight years.

7) Read something on the Interweb this weekend where David Wells said that throwing a no-hitter was a profitable thing, even after he retired.

Wells said that he banked $300,000 or so a year, doing appearances with Don Larsen and David Cone, other New York pitchers who threw no-hitters. That dried up after 15 years or so, but still a pretty good deal.

6) White Sox TV guys have been raving over hitting sensation Yermin Mercedes, who is batting .414 in 19 games this season, but they were stressing out Sunday over Mercedes’ tendency to slide head-first into first base, converged that he’s going to hurt one of his hands.

5) Tampa Bay TV guys were laughing on air about the unpredictability of how the Rays handle their pitchers.

Sunday, 21-year old sensation Luis Patino looked great in his MLB debut, but was removed after 42 pitches- looks like they’re going to let him go thru the lineup once, then take him out.

Then they put Josh Fleming in; he gets two turns thru the lineup, no matter how well he is doing. Tampa Bay wins a lot of games on a short budget and they do it in a unique way, but it is a little funny that their own TV guys can’t figure it out beforehand.

4) Penn State poached PG Jalen Pickett away from Siena; Pickett played 76 games in three years for Siena, which went 38-16 in MAAC games during that time, but there is a pretty big leap from the MAAC to the Big 14. We’ll see how this works out for him.

3) Sign of the times; You can buy a Dr Fauci action figure online, for $20.

2) Wizards 119, Cavaliers 110— Washington has won eight games in a row, is now the #10 seed in the Eastern Conference. They could be a tough out in the playoffs.

1) If the baseball playoffs started today (they don’t):
                            NL: Mets, Brewers, Dodgers. Wild Card: Padres @ Giants
                            AL: Red Sox, Royals, A’s. Wild Card: White Sox @ Mariners

Comment

• 1VANCOUVER -2 OTTAWA
                              OTTAWA is 6-1 ATS (4.9 Units) in home games after playing 3 consecutive road games over the last 2 seasons.

3CAROLINA -4 DALLAS
                              DALLAS are 3-13 ATS (-13.6 Units) in home games against good offensive teams - >=29 shots on goal, convert >=17% pp in the current season.

5EDMONTON -6 WINNIPEG
                              EDMONTON is 21-5 ATS (15 Units) against poor defensive teams - opponents average 29.5+ shots on goal in the current season.

7FLORIDA -8 NASHVILLE
                              NASHVILLE is 22-11 ATS (11.7 Units) against horrible power play killing teams-opp score on >19% of chances in the current season.

13MONTREAL -14 CALGARY
                              MONTREAL is 15-24 ATS (-19.3 Units) against mistake free teams - opponents average <=4 power plays/game in the current season.

15ANAHEIM -16 LOS ANGELES
                              ANAHEIM is 7-2 ATS (8.4 Units) in road games against terrible defensive teams - allowing 3+ goals/game in the current season.

17ARIZONA -18 SAN JOSE
                              SAN JOSE is 47-68 ATS (-27.8 Units) after one or more consecutive overs in the last 3 seasons.

69COLORADO -70 ST LOUIS
                              ST LOUIS are 6-14 ATS (-15.1 Units) in home games against mistake free teams - opponents average <=4 power plays/game in the current season.

Comment

• NHL
                                Dunkel

Monday, April 26

Comment

Working...
                                X