No announcement yet.

The worst call i have ever seen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Says on the scroll on the bottom, Bud "will not" reverse the call.
    "CFB YTD: 5-8-1 -16.2"

Comment

Originally posted by mavskidd02 View Post
      Says on the scroll on the bottom, Bud "will not" reverse the call.
      Talk about firing someone, that old stodgy, inflexible/set-in-his ways asswipe Selig is that one who should be canned if he doesn't do the right thing and give the man his rightfully earned Perfect Game!

Comment

Selig could fix this, but he is a tool!

Baseball is stupid, have replay for crying out loud
        Questions, comments, complaints:
        [email protected]

Comment

Why don't they let all the players on Cleveland vote on the issue or for that matter all of the teams other than the Tigers perhaps and abide by the decision.
          I would say let the fans vote on it also like they do in the All Star Game, but something tells me the vote would be probably 90-10 in favor of reversing the decision and calling it a Perfect Game.

Comment

I think he can't reverse it simply because of how it will effect obvious bad calls in the future. I believe it was the Yanks-Twins game last year, where a clearly foul ball was called fair, or vice versa, and it changed the momentum and outcome of the game.

Now, if Selig can reverse one call, can he reverse another? And another? Then, where does it stop. Granted, my opinion is to reverse the call, but I can see why he may be unable to.
            "CFB YTD: 5-8-1 -16.2"

Comment

I think he can't reverse it simply because of how it will effect obvious bad calls in the future. I believe it was the Yanks-Twins game last year, where a clearly foul ball was called fair, or vice versa, and it changed the momentum and outcome of the game.

Now, if Selig can reverse one call, can he reverse another? And another? Then, where does it stop. Granted, my opinion is to reverse the call, but I can see why he may be unable to.
              He is still a tool!

So is Calapari....... Lol
              Questions, comments, complaints:
              [email protected]

Comment

I understand your point, but as I stated yesterday, the circumstances here are quite unusual, as it was the last out of the game.
                If this call had occurred much earlier in the game and Galarraga then went on to retire everyone else, fans would be upset but not as much as is the case here and would just say it was a crappy call and that he should have had a Perfect game.
                Sometimes in life and not just in baseball, one has to bend and consider the circumstances and entire picture, in this case something which is extremely rare in baseball, this year notwithstanding, and do the right thing-this is clearly an instance of above.

Comment

Baseball claims the game is for the fans. That's why fans vote for the players in the All Star game. I would venture to guess that an overwhelming majority of the fans would approve of the call being reversed. So why wouldn't Selig feel comfortable doing it?

The difference between this being reversed and other games like the 1985 WS, is that the reversing of this call will not CHANGE the outcome of the game. It has absolutely no bearing on the final score. It only gives Galarraga his place in history and takes the monkey off the back of his umpire. Very few would disapprove.

KAZ
                  [email protected]

I'm just here so I won't get fined....

Comment

Originally posted by KazDog View Post
                    Baseball claims the game is for the fans. That's why fans vote for the players in the All Star game. I would venture to guess that an overwhelming majority of the fans would approve of the call being reversed. So why wouldn't Selig feel comfortable doing it?

The difference between this being reversed and other games like the 1985 WS, is that the reversing of this call will not CHANGE the outcome of the game. It has absolutely no bearing on the final score. It only gives Galarraga his place in history and takes the monkey off the back of his umpire. Very few would disapprove.

KAZ
                    please stop kaz, you are starting to make sense.

Comment

My local writer got it right:

Just change the call, Bud Selig.

Just do it. Man up.

Reversing Jim Joyce's blatantly bad call and giving Detroit's Armando Galarraga his perfect game would be justice.

Look at the TV replay as a form of baseball DNA evidence.

Or would you be in favor of sending an innocent man to the gallows, rather than overturn a conviction later shown as a mistake, for fear it might - gasp - set a precedent?

Principle is one thing. Using it to maintain an obviously wrong situation is not principle.

It is the product of a mind turned to the "off'' button.

Baseball's argument that the call can't be reversed is based on two points: it's never been done, and where will it stop?

Point One: It has been done. A home run in the second inning of a 10-2 game can be reversed.

Point Two: It stops here, by acknowledging what is as obvious as the nose on Joyce's red face. This is an exceptional circumstance, demanding an uncommon response.

It does not have to be a precedent until baseball chooses to make it one. Which it should not.

Why does that concept frighten so many people?

"I don't see how baseball can let that (reversal) happen,'' said Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein, who is brilliant and open-minded on most issues, but wrong here.

It's not as if baseball has never changed its mind on this subject.

In 1991, it retroactively changed the rules on no-hitters, changing records that had stood for decades.

Harvey Haddix retired 12 straight men in a 1959 game, then lost the game in the 13th.

He got a phone call 32 years later, saying his no-hitter no longer counted under the new rules.

Terry Francona has often mentioned the value of replay on home runs, citing the basic value of "just getting it right.''

Yet the Red Sox manager opposes reversing this call.

"Where do you stop? We'd be out there all night,'' said Francona, who thinks switching Joyce's call would open the door for endless replay.

Not if baseball doesn't want it to, Bud. Expand replay or don't.

But first, Bud, change this call.

Because the circumstances are extraordinary and rare.

Because getting this right is possible, in an admittedly imperfect way, and better than adding to the injustice by ignoring the chance to rectify this.

Then tell everyone it's an exception, a one-shot deal and they had better understand it.

Most will. Human mistakes are part of the game, but there is nothing defensible about obstinacy or close-mindedness in the name of tradition or expediency.

Reverse this call, Bud, because you can.

The game will survive and be better for it, because you did what was right in the name of doing what's fair.

Comment

Philosophically, what makes a perfect game a perfect game? Is it the actual performance, or the official recognition? In the end, Galarraga pitched well enough to get 27 consecutive outs. If a defensive player would have booted the 27th out, Galarraga would have lost the perfect game as well. Would his performance have been any better or worse? ‘Perfect’ games are, like most of sports in general and especially baseball in particular, arbitrary. We reward certain acts but ignore others that are equally ‘difficult’ or ‘rare.’

Everyone involved or interested in this story knows that Galarraga should have gotten the 27th out. I could care less if Selig overturned the call. In the end, he pitched a hell of a game. Sure he’s not going to be in an official record book (as if anyone cares about this mythical book sitting on some hallowed shrine somewhere in, I guess, Bud Selig’s basement). But he’s in a much more interesting unofficial one.

Comment

hitler's finally chimed in with his opinion...let's check it out...

YouTube - Armando Galarraga's perfect game is stolen by Jim Joyce, which of course makes Hitler very upset.

Comment

Working...
                          X