Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The hidden peril of inflation

Most people think a market crash is the biggest danger to investors. Wrong

Let's say the market takes a 30 percent dive over the next year. Every time you check your stocks or stock mutual funds, you're going to feel the pain. Likewise, if interest rates rise, your bonds won't let you forget it.

Nowhere on your bank or brokerage statement, however, are you likely to get a report on what inflation is doing to the real value of your holdings.

If your money is stowed in a "safe" investment, like a low-yielding savings or money market account, you'll never see how inflation is gobbling up virtually all of your return.

Here are some points to bear in mind:

At an average annual growth rate of 10.4 percent a year, stocks will double your money about every seven years. Factor in inflation, which has historically run at about 3.1 percent annually, and it will take more than 10 years to double your actual buying power.

Likewise, bonds, which have historically grown at 5.4 percent annually, will double your money every 12 1/2 years. After inflation, however, it will take 26 years.

If your money is in cash, you'll have to wait 23 years for the nominal value of your account to double, assuming the cash earns the historical 3.1 percent annual return. But even your grandchildren won't see the real value of your money double.

That's why, whenever you add up your gains or losses for a given period of time, you have to add in the effects of inflation to understand how much further ahead or behind you really are.

I thought I was the only econ major on this site.
    NFL Kruise
    2-2*

*updated as of 9/9

Comment

BC what do you suggest?
      Boxing 0-1

Comment

Refresh my memory on the doubling of your money. That is rule ...?

Thanks

Comment

Divide your expected return into 72 and you'll know how many years it takes to double your money. I'm hoping to double mine in 31/2 hours on the colts.

Then WIZDARD SOFTWARE (wizd.ob)

Comment

Any idea how to become a millionaire investing in the stock market for 20-25 years religiously. This might open some eyes.

Comment

Just buy an S&P index?

Comment

Working...
              X