3rd Quarter 2004 Trade Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Quarter 2004 Trade Thread

I have been on the sidelines after selling everything I had..its all gone, even HLSH (what a home run that was).

If anyone is curious as to why selling HLSH, they had a business update last week and pushed out the date for restated financials and thus relisting until later 2005. The company is in top shape, no hurdles in front, but with the lengthening of time until the company is relisted, it also lenthens the time until the move back over 10 (I feel it gets in the teens near relisting), so I have time to enter on market or stock weakness.

I did buy a 1/2 position in VTSS today, this is a scary buy as they and the sector are getting hit hard today, but I think this one gets me 50 cents or over 10% in short order.

Will post trades now and then, but need more participation...

HLSH

Great call on HLSH when it was in the toilet. I have 50 shares of it (granted, not a lot) bought 18 months ago at $10, before it fell. Do you recommend buying more now, lowering the average cost per share, and hanging on until it hits about 20?

Thanks in advance.
    http://www.dcthrowback.com/blog

I swear it's not:

Comment

Buffalo66,

I could be wrong, but I would wait and see if HLSH dips into the mid 5's, then I would buy more.

That is where I will be starting to buy again too. If things go to plan, the stock will see the teens mid next year.

GL

Comment

Wallstree-check this one out-tlpe.
        I received a newsletter with a big story;it looked good so I checked out their website.
        Anyways I bought 4000 shares at .75 yesterday, and stock is now sitting at around $1.11.
        I will probably sell all or half if it goes higher.
        In short, most of my smaller stocks haven't done squat of late(and some much worse than that);its nice to see a plus sign for a change.
        Hope all your stocks do as well as hlsh.

Comment

Savage,

It looks interesting..what they do seems legit..you know I dont care for BB stocks much though.

Hope it turns up next week for you!

I am sitting..earnings time means volitile trading..and the way that there are more warnings than surprises makes me want to be careful this next week or two!

Comment

Update

Been trading a bit, buying a little of a few things.

Bot 1/2 position in MANU at 2.45 (this one over a span of 2 yrs or so bottoms out and could be a nice 50% return for me)

Bot 1/2 positon VTSS- added at 3.48

missed on HLIT, TINY and a few others.

Comment

I keep nibbling..

Bot full position SONSE at 3.75, conf call on Mon for their restatement issues, definately a suicide play here, could be huge, could be deadly.

Bot 1/4 position VTSS at 3.20, averaging in here gives me flexibility averaging out.

Looking at HLIT, TINY, NANX, all the same ones.. adding a look at KKD- Krispy Kreme has sold off from 50 to 17 here and I think the franchise is great..I get donuts there all the time and I think at 22 times earnings, it is time to dip my toe in.

Nice thing, this market is trading how I thought it should be, but 3 weeks later..I kept sitting on my cash wondering when we get the summer slam, well it is here and if history is any guide, buying slowly here can return huge results after labor day..

I am about 30% in, will keep adding to strong positions and averaging in for my ultimate end result.

Comment

Trade-

Sold SONSE at 4.15

I may regret this trade, but since their conf call is in the evening, the chance the stock sells off into the meeting is high, even though a GREAT upgrade today by Smith Barney..

Still, looks like she is going higher, I may regret this trade.

Comment

Wallstreet-speaking of regrets, I sold my 400 shares of tlpe purchased at .75 at 1.29 today, and now it is $1.44.
                  However, it was a nice profit and I didn't want to get too greedy.

Comment

Savage,

That stock trades oddly, I think you can buy lower in the future..

A few other comments to you- LU, back down after that nice move, you dont ever have to chase it.

CLN- we are back to .50, it looks really bad, I hope you are ok there.

SONSE- man was I right...could have got it for 4 bucks after hours, I should have known (did know) that Smith Barney had to know they were ok to upgrade the day before the event- brokerage houses hate to take risk..and they were right, stock up to 4.85 after hours.

SIRI- trading like death, still I might nibble around here, amazing the fall.

I doubt many heed the calls here, but this thread could be great..I am kicking butt on most trades, market is ripe for bargains..

I may buy SONSE again tomorrow or Wed/Thu, they are bringing out financials next week, so the overall run might be muted just a bit since that event is still to come.

Still watching KKD and now IGT..

Comment

Wallstreet-glad to see you are doing well.
                      For me although nice little profit on tlpe, that was the first hit in a while, and because of cln especially it has been a lousy year.
                      Can you beleive that several follks on chatlines actually got excited because cln was up a penny today and closed at .54;thats akin to scoring and getting excited over being behind 12-0 in the last of the ninth and scoring a run to break the shutout.
                      I don't own lu at present, and my ex-wife was telling me I should have bought it during recent run to 3.70 or so;she on the other hand still owns siri and needs to sell now because she needs the money;that is unfortunate.
                      I will take a look at your recommendations and maybe buy something now that I have some money from tlpe.
                      Continued good luck with your investments.
                      Last edited by savage1; 07-20-2004, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Wallstreet Hi I'm new to this forum and I don't have many stocks other than a rolf IRA and a mutual fund account I set up for my son's college . I have an account with Ameritrade but have not funded it. I can drop about $5000 into it . Do you think you could help me make some money on this ? I'm wanting to learn what to look for , trends etc. Could use lots of help Thanks
                        Life is good Beer is my friend

Comment

Personally looking for yhoo to drop down some. If it breaks down past 25 I look for it to go lower 20's.

I kinda like S for long term with such a low P/E ratio. But its been on a decline for the last 6 months. Looking for a bottom out price at some point.

Like INTC too for long term as its came down some of late. Of course it could go lower as its testing a 3 month and 6 month low.

Comment

Monte,

INTC I like quite a bit, but I gotta stay out of semi land, the index is looking horrible. Twist my arm and give me some $$$ and I say pony up and buy the caddy in the group, BRCM. I was thinking that I would nibble on INTC if she got to 19-20 for a trade. The last report was not great though, it should underperform the group over the next quarter.

SSSsssssssssss? Not my bag at all, I would prefer TGT if I had to, but I dont..lol

I also like YHOO..but my advice is wait until we get a Google crash and I think the stock gets cheaper. I might miss the boat, but I would rather wait.

How about that cockeyed MSFT news tonite.. a 3 buck dividend?? Smells like a reason to sell if you ask me, but the market will do as it will...

madddog,

5k is just fine if you keep the rules..I have used less and done well. Avoid pink sheets and OTCBB stocks and anything under 2 or so.. Research anything you read or hear, even from me.. It is your money, protect it. Ask questions, watch and observe, never chase a stock...

I am here to help!

Comment

WallStreet,

I think TGT is a good stock too, but I liked it back when it was 29-30 but over the long haul it should do fine. On sears its just that the P/E is so low on it compared to its competitors, but it hasn't bottomed out yet.

Not sure what to think about that MSFT announcement as I don't know if that's good or not. I've been waiting for this stock to break out of the 20's, however I don't think on this news breaking into the 30's is what I wanted.

Comment

Working...
                              X