• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hall of Fame Game

NFL Hall of Fame Game @ Canton, OHIO
    Monday August 9, 2004

DENVER BRONCOS vs WASHINGTON REDSKINS

With the NFL Hall of Fame Game right around the corner, I thought it would be timely to take a look at the game. When capping pre-season there are a number of factors that come into play. Since the first two games the starters see little action, you want to look at depth and QB battles.

But one of the most important things in the first couple of games is coaching philosophy. Some coaches are concerned about one thing and one thing only: evaluating players regardless of the scoreboard. An example of this would be Marv Levy, former coach of the Bills. In contrast, while some coaches are concerned about evaluating players, in addition they want to instill a winning attitude right off the bat.

That's why you'll often see first year coaches that do well in their first game as the new head coach. Even some veteran coaches like to win in Pre-Season. Good examples would be Bill Parcells, Dennis Green, and Mike Shanahan.

It is Shanahan's record that I want to key in on. For the first time in 7 years the Broncos find themselves underdogs when the play the Redskins in Canton. The fact that they havent' been dogs in 7 years ought to tell you something. Could it be that they havent' faced a team better than they? No. Of course not. It means that the linesmaker knows that some coaches put weight to winning and others do not.

Before I go into Shanny's record, let me touch on Joe Gibbs. Since his last season to coach was 1992, I do not have the records for his pre-season. Marc Lawrence's Playbook offers only that he was 9-0 on road vs crappy teams and 9-1 in Game four. Since his Redskins arent' playing a team that is expected to be a <.500 ball club during the pre-season, that trend would not apply. And since this is as far from week four as you can get, neither would the other trend apply.

In fact, the very idea that he is in precisely the opposite role would imply that those were his weaker areas in the Pre-Season; but, admittedly, that is mere speculation. He cannot really be considered a "new" coach or 1st year coach, so the temptation to win his first pre-season game is minimal.

The thing that I see here with Gibbs is one who, having been gone from the game for 12 years, will let his players go out there and just watch. Forget the scoreboard. He's too wise and too good to be concerned. That is just speculation on my part. But he's been around a while with nothing to prove, and I highly suspect he will sit back and watch carefully as he takes it in. The tribe has an awful lot of good things ahead with their off-season acquisitions, but dont look for the vets to play more than 1 or 2 drives. A lot of gelling will need to take place this season, but I doubt Gibbs will be empasizing much in Canton. Just watching.

Having guessed on where Gibbs stands, here's where Shanahan stands:

MIKE SHANAHAN Pre-Season (9 years with Broncos)

GAMES: 39

SU RECORD: 28-11

ATS RECORD: 25-14

FIRST GAME: 9-0 SU & 8-1 ATS

RECORD as DOG: 6-1 SU & 6-1 ATS (has not been dog since '97)

RECORD AWAY FROM HOME: 2-2 SU & 1-3 ATS NEUTRAL; 11-6 SU & 11-6 ATS

SINCE ELWAY RETIRED: 16-5 SU & 15-6 ATS

NOTABLES:

*Shanahan's combined record for his first year w/Broncos, his first year after Elway's retirement, and both follow up years to his Superbowl Wins was 9-10 ATS. He is 16-4 ATS in the other 5 Seasons combined.

*Legendary former Bronco QB John Elway will enter Hall of Fame the night of the Game which presumably would be additional incentive for the young Broncos to perform.

*BRONCOS are 7-1 SU and ATS last four seasons away from home, the only loss being at Lambeau.

*BRONCOS are a perrenial SB contender this Season; Redskins are rebuilding.

With Shanahan being 9-0 SU in his pre-season openers, it's hard to go against him here; much less lay points to him. Just in case Gibbs is eager to win his first game back, and because so many pre-season games are decided by a FG, I would buy it to +3 -120...

*BRONCOS +3 -120 over Redskins

Don't forget the JULY EARLY BIRD SPECIAL is almost over for my Spread Report Online. At only 4 bucks per sheet, it's a steal.

For more info on my Football Online Tipsheet, check out the site or other threads of mine.

Be sure to check out my "Betting Systems for NFL & NCAA Foots" thread and my "NFL Blowout Formula Results" thread.

dave
    http://spreadreport.tripod.com
    Last edited by Warrior; 07-30-2004, 02:50 AM.

BETTING SYSTEMS for NFL & NCAA Foots

Is it just me, or are these games BLOWOUTS?!

Check it out:

*BROWNS (-6) over Cardinals WIN 44-6

*BRONCOS (-8) over Chargers WIN 37-8

*SEAHAWKS (-10') over Lions WIN 35-14

*COLTS (-7') over Falcons WIN 38-7

*PATRIOTS (-7) over Jaguars WIN 27-13

*STEELERS (-6') over Chargers WIN 40-24

*PACKERS (-9) over Broncos WIN 31-3

*VIKINGS (-1) over Seahawks WIN 34-7

*STEELERS (-7) over Cardinals WIN 28-15

*BEARS (-4) over Cardinals WIN 28-3

*CHIEFS (-14') over Lions WIN 45-17

*TITANS (-6') over Bucs WIN 33-13

*SAINTS (-7) over Giants WIN 45-7

In addition to these BLOWOUTS, my New NFL BLOWOUT FORMULA can hang with the BIG DOGS too...with STRAIGHT UP WINNERS like...

*LIONS (+11') over Rams WIN 30-20

*RAIDERS (+6') over Ravens WIN 20-12

*LIONS (+7) over Packers WIN 22-14

*REDSKINS (+3') over Seahawks WIN 27-20

...and there were more...altogether the NFL BLOWOUT FORMULA went 28-5 ATS.

Interested in receiving these plays? Stay tuned, but right now let's look at some Football Betting Systems...

NFL & NCAA FOOTBALL SYSTEMS AND TRENDS (all results are since 1990)

The thing about Football Trends, whether they are College or Pro, is to discern the ones that make sense and the ones that don't. We've all seen some of Marc Lawrence's trends that drive us batty. Nothing against Marc. Contrary to the criticism, he's a good capper.

But I mean some trends are like this: Miami Fla is 2-40 ATS when they lose SU. I won't insult your intelligence by even commenting on the uselessness of that trend.

Others are like this: The Steelers are 20-2 ATS at home vs .500< opponent off SU and ATS Win. To me, that makes sense and is a remarkable trend, but only because they have had the same coach over the duration of that time. Do you see the difference? If this TEAM trend were with any other team, I would question it.

But the Steelers have had the same coach for 12 years, which means that the bulk of that record is indicative of Bill Cowher and not so much a team's abberation. In his 12 years as coach, they have played 96 regular season home games. Assuming that at random 1/2 of those opponents were losing teams, then you have 48 possibilities.

Subsequently assuming that in 1/2 of those scenarios the visiting team lost SU/ATS the prior week, you're left with 24 possibilities--which is about the number of games that the trend indicates. In any event, the point is that one trend is usable (pit) and the other is not (mia fla).

But there are TEAM Trends and there are WHOLESALE Trends. While many wholesale trends can be about as useless as the Hurricanes example, in general a wholesale trend (that which applies to any/all teams) is more valuable and trustworthy. I don't like team trends unless they can be backed with some kind of logical thought process or reason.

Like passing teams having problems at the old Mile High Stadium in Denver or at the old Soldier's field in Chicago. Any team trends with the Bears or Broncos that could be logically explained by the wind in Chicago or atmosphere in Denver would be an applicable team trend. That's why the Rockies OVER/UNDER lines are so high at home and why they tend to go OVER. That's not an abberation; there is a logical reason behind it.

But most team trends are not worth anything unless the team trend time-span coincides with a particular Coach. Like Don Shula and the Dolphins. Going against him as a favorite vs NFC teams was a virtual lock for a very long time. Their was potential logic there to support the trend beyond a mere abberation.

Having laid that foundation, I will stick with the preferred and more useable wholesale trends in my thread here. Please bear with the occasional promo. I spend an aweful lot of time doing research and love every minute of it, but I also supplement my income with this stuff; so I'd be lying if I said that some of my research is not for promotional purposes. But hey, this is good stuff no matter the motive. Let's get to it...

System #1 (NCAA)

SETTING: A Conference Matchup between Two Winning Teams (both more than .500)

PLAY: Go WITH a Road Dog if they are coming off a DOUBLE-DIGIT LOSS both SU AND ATS.

RECORD: 42-16 ATS

AVG PLAYS PER SEASON: 4.2

System #2 (NCAA)

PLAY: Go WITH a Home Dog if they are coming off a DOUBLE-DIGIT WIN both SU and ATS and have won atleast 2 consecutive games SU.

RECORD: 33-12 ATS

AVG PLAYS PER SEASON: 3.3

System #3 (NCAA)

PLAY: Go WITH a Home Dog with Revenge if coming off a DOUBLE-DIGIT LOSS.

RECORD: 30-15 ATS

AVG PLAYS PER SEASON: 3.2

System #4 (NFL)

PLAY: Go WITH a Home Dog off two or more wins if they won SU last week as a Dog.

RECORD: 32-10 ATS

AVG PLAYS PER SEASON: 3.0

System #5 (NFL)

PLAY: Go AGAINST a Road Fave off two or more losses SU AND ATS if the lost straigt up last week as a fave.

RECORD: 32-16 ATS

AVG PLAYS PRE SEASON: 3.4

System #6 (NFL)

SETTING: Home team w/winning record vs opponent w/losing record

PLAY: Go with Home Favorite off a loss if playing with revenge

RECORD: 31-14

AVG PLAYS PER SEASON: 3.2

System #7 (NFL)

SETTING: Losing team on road in non-division game.

PLAY: Go WITH this Road Dog off two or more SU and ATS losses if they lost their last game by DOUBLE-DIGITS both SU and ATS.

RECORD: 38-23 ATS

AVG PLAYS PER SEASON: 4.4

System #8 (NFL)

PLAY: Go AGAINST a team that scored 30 or more points in each of their last two games and allowed 12 points or less in those same two games if they are now playing a non-division game.

RECORD: Lost records. Best memory is that it is 14-1 ATS or something like that over 20 years.

System #9 (NFL)

***Last year teams that allowed 220> yards rushing were 2-8 as faves and 8-2 as dogs the following week for a 16-4 record***

System #10 (NFL)

***Last year teams that were projected to lose the Net Yardage battle by 50> yards were 16-6 ATS in those games***

Do you purchase tipsheets throughout the season? Goldsheet? Pointwise? Phil Steele or Platimum? You've probably noticed that some of them are becoming more sophisticated and more expensive.

My Spread Report Online is simple yet contains a wealth of unique formula games that can only be found in the spread report. EXCLUSIVE formulas that I personally developed over the last few years like...

-My NFL Turnover Formula...a solid 60% Winners the last 3 Seasons
    -My NFL Yardage Formula...109-63 ATS (63%) the last 3 years
    -My all-new NFL Blowout Formula...28-5 ATS last Season and a perfect 12-0 ATS on its strictest criteria games...

...these faves averaged winning by over 25 points per game...now THAT'S a BLOWOUT!

Check it out:

*BROWNS (-6) over Cardinals WIN 44-6

*BRONCOS (-8) over Chargers WIN 37-8

*SEAHAWKS (-10') over Lions WIN 35-14

*COLTS (-7') over Falcons WIN 38-7

*PATRIOTS (-7) over Jaguars WIN 27-13

*STEELERS (-6') over Chargers WIN 40-24

*PACKERS (-9) over Broncos WIN 31-3

*VIKINGS (-1) over Seahawks WIN 34-7

*STEELERS (-7) over Cardinals WIN 28-15

*BEARS (-4) over Cardinals WIN 28-3

*CHIEFS (-14') over Lions WIN 45-17

*TITANS (-6') over Bucs WIN 33-13

*SAINTS (-7) over Giants WIN 45-7

In addition to these BLOWOUTS, the formula can NAIL the DOGS too...with STRAIGHT UP WINNERS like...

*LIONS (+11') over Rams WIN 30-20

*RAIDERS (+6') over Ravens WIN 20-12

*LIONS (+7) over Packers WIN 22-14

*REDSKINS (+3') over Seahawks WIN 27-20

...and there were more. Altogether the NFL BLOWOUT FORMULA went 28-5 ATS.

Even more amazing is the fact that out of 33 Plays, 17 of them were either a BLOWOUT or a STRAIGHT UP Underdog Winner. That's pretty astounding when you consider the heightened competitiveness in the NFL over the last few seasons.

More overtime games and more field-goal games than ever before and yet my New Blowout Formula Picks an uncanny number of BLOWOUTS. There is a reason for that. It works. Interested? Read on...

The Online Tipsheet runs about 7 bucks per copy, but if you order the July Early Bird the price drops to 4 bucks per sheet.

It also includes my Top College and Pro Plays each Week along with my annual NFL Preview Edition which will include my predictions for Futures Plays, Division Winners, Conference Winners, and Superbowl Projections.

Unlike most sheets where 90% of the sheet is un-readable and un-useable, the Spread Report Online cuts to the chase without tedious, magnifying glass statistics. Every year the SRO has been full of winning info on one front or another. I expect a banner year this Season.

For more info, check out the site or check out any number of posts here at the forums. As always, thank you for your support...

Sincerely,
    David K. Toop
    [email protected]
    228-424-6990

Comment

Just noticed that lines of -4> and +4> are 21-0 ATS...perhaps a coincidence.

But the milestone of +6> and -6> (18-0 ATS) may not be a coincidence...

dave

Comment

Here's a list of all the games. Notice lines of less than 4.0 (underdog or fave) is only 7-5 ATS...leaving 21-0 ATS.

Not sure I'm completely comfortable with subdividing @ 4.0; but I would be comfortable with subdividing @ 6.0; in which case you would have an 18-0 record.

I have become completely convinced over the years that their is definately something credible with subdividing the line at 6.0. I've seen it too many times with too many systems and theories. I just haven't figured out why it is that way...

NFL BLOWOUT FORMULA Results from the 2003 Season:

WEEK EIGHT: 1-0/1-0

BENGALS (+2') 27, Seahawks 24 WIN 1-0/1-0

WEEK NINE: 1-2/2-2

TEXANS (+6') 14, Panthers 10 WIN*
        JETS (+2') 28, GIANTS 31 Lose
        BRONCOS (-2') 26, Patriots 30 Lose (Monday)

WEEK TEN: 3-0/5-2

BENGALS (-5) 34, Texans 27 WIN
        REDSKINS (+3') 27, Seahawks 20 WIN
        STEELERS (-7) 28, Cardinals 15 WIN

WEEK ELEVEN: 4-1/9-3

BROWNS (-6) 44, Cardinals 6 WIN*
        BUCS (-3') 13, Packers 20 Lose
        COLTS (-6) 38, Jets 31 WIN
        BRONCOS (-8) 37, Chargers 8 WIN*
        SEAHAWKS (-10') 35, Lions 14 WIN*

WEEK TWELVE: 2-0/11-3

COWBOYS (-3) 24, Panthers 20 WIN
        BILLS (+3) 14, Colts 17 PUSH
        TEXANS (+5') 20, Patriots 23 WIN

WEEK THIRTEEN: 3-2/14-5

LIONS (+7) 22, Packers 14 WIN (Thanksgiving)
        COLTS (-3') 34, Patriots 38 Lose
        BEARS (-4) 28, Cardinals 3 WIN
        TEXANS (-3) 17, Falcons 13 WIN
        GIANTS (-3) 7, Bills 24 Lose

WEEK FOURTEEN: 1-0/15-5

VIKINGS (-1) 34, Seahawks 7 WIN

WEEK FIFTEEN: 7-0/22-5

COLTS (-7') 38, Falcons 7 WIN*
        PATRIOTS (-7) 27, Jaguars 13 WIN*
        BEARS (+3) 13, Vikings 10 WIN
        CARDINALS (+6') 17, Panthers 20 WIN
        CHIEFS (-14') 45, Lions 17 WIN
        SAINTS (-7) 45, Giants 7 WIN
        RAIDERS (+6') 20, Ravens 12 WIN*

WEEK SIXTEEN: 2-0/24-5

STEELERS (-6') 40, Chargers 24 WIN*
        TEXANS (+6) 24, Titans 27 WIN*

WEEK SEVENTEEN: 4-0/28-5

PACKERS (-9) 31, Broncos 3 WIN*
        FALCONS (-3) 21, Jaguars 14 WIN
        TITANS (-6') 33, Bucs 13 WIN
        LIONS (+11') 30, Rams 20 WIN*

Comment

EXCUSE ME?

New Orleans Saints +550 to win the NFC South?

Say what?

According to the odds at 5dimes, they are supposed to finish in last place.

Now, I haven't decided on my choice for that division. But to me, it's wide open. Being wide open, I see no reason why the Saints don't have as good of a shot as...

...the spiraling Bucs minus Lynch, Sapp, and KeyJon or...

...the might-not-win-seven-games-in-the-fourth-quarter-this-year Panthers...

...or the first year coach/give up 320 yards per game Falcons.

Deuce continues to get better and Haslette is on the hot seat. If Brooks gets his head out of his grill, the Saints WILL win this division.

That's a big if, and I'm not willing to make that my prediction yet until I see some pre-season action; but I can tell you this:

+550 back on the Saints to Win the NFC South is TOO HIGH...

dave

July Early Bird ends tomorrow. At 4 bucks a sheet, it's a rediculous steal. I should listen to Mom...

Check out my site or my posts for info.

Comment

Odds to Win NFC South @ Olympic:

Atlanta Falcons +175
            Tampa Bay Buccaneers +225
            Carolina Panthers +200
            New Orleans Saints +300

At 5dimes:

ATL WINS NFC SOUTH +230
            1:00 PM 814 FIELD WINS NFC SOUTH -270

Sep-1 1813 CAR WINS NFC SOUTH +254
            1:00 PM 1814 FIELD WINS NFC SOUTH -307

Sep-1 2813 NOR WINS NFC SOUTH +550
            1:00 PM 2814 FIELD WINS NFC SOUTH -800

Sep-1 3813 TAM WINS NFC SOUTH +190
            1:00 PM 3814 FIELD WINS NFC SOUTH -230

Think Olympic has it right...

dave

Comment

Net Program Wins again with the Yankees. All time record is 45-25 with a return on risk of 12.10%.

1 Day left to take advantage of the July Early Bird Special. For more info feel free to check out the site or any number of threads at the forum...

dave

Comment

Working...
              X