Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL Pre-Season Preview

NFL Pre-Season Preview

Last year during the off-season I was convinced that the Jets would be a Superbowl Contender--a belief subscribed to largely in part because of the rise of Chad Pennington. Then came the Redskin's drive-by, and the Jets looked violated. But breaking it down, my only real concern was the loss of WR Laveranues Coles. So I eagerly waited for the Jet's Japan Bowl against the defending Champion Tampa Bay Bucs to watch closely.

My belief prior to the Japan Bowl was that, overall, the loss of Coles would not be a huge factor; that Curtis Conway would be sufficient enough of a replacement although, admittedly, not the game breaker Coles was. With Moss on the other side, I did not feel that the grim predictions made by the experts were as dreadful as they made it sound. I still had the Jets pegged as SB contenders even after the Washington debacle. I was confident in my assertion. Confident enough to post what I expected in the Japan Bowl...

"Look for Pennington to go deep to Conway early and often to allay the concerns of Critics and Fans alike."

Lo. Behold. On their second play from scrimmage Pennington aired it deep to Conway. Complete for 68 yards. Pennington led the Jets on an opening drive of 4 plays and a TD against the starting players of the Buc's Number One defense. Just like that. The game wasn't five minutes old and I had seen all I needed to see. The Jets remained my choice in the AFC to go Bowling.

Unfortunately, Pennington suffered a pre-season injury. With that injury came my search for different team to represent the AFC in the Superbowl. I eventually landed on the side of the New England Patriots as my choice, a successful prediction outdone only by the fact that I also correctly predicted the Carolina Panthers to represent the NFC in the Superbowl.

My call on the Panthers was one of the more remarkable calls in my 25-year handicapping career, but not the first head-scratcher of mine. Other calls would include...

The Titans would make a SB run in '99. Five years later and retrospectively on this side of that prediction it does not seem like much. But consider that Fisher had been with the team five years at the time and his best season was 8-8.

The Ravens would make a run in 2000. Listen up non-believers in Pre-Season. This prediction was made largely in part by what I saw in PRE-SEASON! Pre-Season also SOLIDIFIED my take on last year's Panthers! I had my eye on the Panthers, but Pre-Season made up my mind. Don't believe for one second that Pre-Season means nothing.

To start, teams that go winless in pre-season do not make the playoffs. Teams that go undefeated in pre-season go to the playoffs. Pre-Season helped me to discern 7 OVER/UNDER Team Wins Futures Plays last Season--all of which Won. Seven-zip. A team's defensive execution during pre-season says an awful lot also if you know what you're looking for.

The gist of my opening statements here [in what will be an on-going and potentially ever-changing] analysis of the upcoming NFL Season is three-fold: One, to establish my credentials. Two, what I'm posting here in July is not necessarily my FINAL ANALYSIS. My final analysis will come out in my NFL Preview Issue between the final Pre-Season game and the first Regular Season Game. It will not appear at the forum but in the Spread Report Online (elaboration at proper forum). And three, PRE-SEASON MATTERS!

Having cited those two points above, I'll start off this Year's NFL Pre-Season Preview by posting (pasting) an EXACT REPLICA of my NFL Pre-view from last season AS POSTED RIGHT HERE at this forum under the username 'FootballFormula' (feel free to do a search). This paste is complete minus the promotion...

THE FOLLOWING NFL PRE-VIEW WAS POSTED AT THIS SITE ON AUGUST 26, 2003:

Okay it's time. I've seen enough. I had some early indications of who I would be liking this season, and from the looks of Pre-Season, I won't be disappointed.

Some of you will remember my NFL Preview a few years ago when I projected the Titans to be the most improved team in the league. That article was posted at ********* and also published in playersedge mag. They went to the Superbowl that season.

I followed by projecting the Ravens to be the most improved team in the leaque, and they too went to the Superbowl that season. Too bad it didn't always happen that way; but for atleast those two times it did.

If you're really an old timer, you will remember a projection I made in the early 90's when the Cowboys went 1-15:

"Some how the League has allowed the Cowboys to amass perhaps the biggest steal in NFL History with the Vikings-Hershel Walker fiasco. Well they will regret it. Expect the Cowboys to be the team of the 90's. They will win four Superbowls and atleast 2 of them back-to-back; if not three."

And, of course, those closest to me cannot forget my call on the Broncos-Packers Superbowl:

"The Broncos (12-point dogs) will break the NFC win Streak and win the game straight up. It will be close--perhaps the first overtime game in SB history. I figure the final to be 30-24 Denver in OT."

Final: 31-24 Denver as they scored late to break a 24-24 tie and avoid OT. Okay. Enough bragging. Let's get to it...

During the off-Season, I've been really high on the Jets. I feel they have all they need to win a Superbowl. They have a QB who is not only efficient but extremely cool under pressure. Sophmore jinx? Forget about it. Rookie QB's coming off record seasons (eg, magic Majkowski, Packers) often suffer Sophmore jinx's because they become invinsible in their minds. The difference with Pennington is that he spent a couple years on the bench and learned.

Next the Jets have the coach. The days of the Jets folding when the spotlight is on them, well, those days are over. Herman Edwards is not Rich Kotite. He's the real deal and you will see. Those were my thoughts during the off-season. But then came the blue light special they granted the Redskins. All the critices came out. Even magazines are picking them to finish last or third in the AFC East--and that was BEFORE Pennington's injury. For sure now the whole knowledgable football world will discount the Jets.

In fact, the overreaction has gotten so rediculous, the Jets are now a 3-point dog to the Redskins. What? Folks, the Jets are a legitimate Superbowl Contender. When you break down the players that they traded to the Skins, you'll find the most significant one to be WR Coles.

Well, I took the liberty to make sure I was awake to watch the opening drive of the Japan Bowl in the wee hours of the morning when the Bucs and Jets played their 1st pre-season game. I've could've written the script:

"Expect the Jets to silence their critics by going to Curtis Conway (Cole's replacement) early, often, and deep."

Pennington came out cool, hitting Conway for a short completion on the Jets first play from scrimmage. Two plays later, he hit Conway deep for about a 40-yard gain. And before it was all over, Penny and the Jets had completed 4 of 4 for 67 yards and a TD against the Bucs starting defense. No signs of sophmore jinx's or jitters, and a sigh of relief for Yorkers who wondered if Conway could fill the shoes.

Defense? The Jets defense improved over 100 yards per game their final 11 games versus their first five games last season. Now, what about Vinny? Can he do it? Hey, I'll admit I'm going with a bit of a hunch here, but I've got a very strong feeling that Vinny T is in for a record season for his career. I think he was much inspired by the success of Pennington last season--whom he humbly aided and supported on the sidelines without complaint.

Watch out for the Jets. You can bank'em in their opener at Washington. The Jets are so far better than the Redskins its not even funny. Watch the Jets--watch Edwards have another great season in the face of adversity. The Dolphins couldn't get to the playoffs despite being in the top 3 in eleven key statistical categories last season. The Bills will be improved on defense but don't yet realize how much they're gonna miss Peerless Price, and the Patriots, well, they're SB contenders as well--another key team to watch, and especially in underdog roles.

Now, having said all that (and I still believe it), there is one other team that I am even more excited about, and they are my choice for MOST IMPROVED TEAM OF THE YEAR. If they follow suit like the Titans and Ravens a couple years ago, they could end up in the Superbowl. And don't laugh, because at the time of my Baltimore projection, it was equally laughable--but it happened.

And right now with this team, you can get back 8-1 to win their division, 35-1 to win their conference, and 75-1 to win the Superbowl. To give you an idea of how seemingly laughable my choice is, the only teams with higher odds to win the SB are the Lions, Cardinals, Bengals, and Texans. My choice this year to be most improved in the NFL, the most underrated team and biggest sleeper is...

The Carolina Panthers

#2 in defense last season, they will be #1 this year. John Fox took them from 1-15 to 7-9 in his first year. He is a solid, fundamentals, textbook, no-nonsense coach. Randy Moss wouldn't last 4 hours on Fox's Panthers Squad on a good day. During the off-season the Panthers beefed up the offensive line, acquired Stephen Davis, Ricky Proehl, Kevin Dyson, and Jake Delhomme who showed promise in place of Arron Brooks last year with the Saints.

Rodney Peete complete 58% of his passes last season and has a stronger OL this year and Delhomme to back him up. Dyson is injured but that won't matter because (a.) Panthers are deep at the position, and (b.) they are primarily a running, clock burning team. Fundamentals. Bank it. You hear it here first:

THE CAROLINA PANTHERS WILL RAISE EYEBROWS THIS SEASON WITH THEIR UNGODLY DEFENSE AND SLOW BURNING, BALL CONTROL OFFENSE.

EXPECT THEM TO MIX IN JUST ENOUGH MUHAMMAD, MANGUM, AND PROEHL TO KEEP THE LANES OPEN FOR DAVIS.

Bank it. Week One:

Jets +3 over REDSKINS
    PANTHERS -3.5 over the "trying to trade our Veteran QB with less than two weeks before kickoff" Jaguars.

Man, can you imagine? What does that do to team morale and continuity? At this point it doesn't matter who starts for the Jags. If they start Brunnel, I'm not sure he'll be up to par in view of this late attempt at a trade. And if they don't, the Panther's defense will eat their lunch with Garrard, Gray, or Leftwich at the helm.

Other Week One thoughts:

Ravens +6 over STEELERS (plus six with this coach automatic)
    Colts +1' over BROWNS (Browns D having probs; Colts D much improved; Indy ready to make run)
    SEATTLE -3 over Saints (Saints got head problems; Seahawks HUGE sleeper)

Futures I like:

To Win SB:

Eagles 9-1
    Jets 15-1
    Titans 20-1
    Chiefs 25-1
    Pats 35-1
    Ravens 40-1
    Seahawks 50-1
    Vikings 50-1
    Panthers 75-1

To Win AFC:

Jets 8-1
    Titans 8-1
    Chiefs 12-1
    Pats 11-1
    Ravens 16-1

To Win NFC:

Eagles 4-1
    Seahawks 20-1
    Vikings 22-1
    Panthers 35-1

To Win Division:

Panters 8-1

Over/Under Season Wins:

Titans OVER 9.5 -125
    Browns UNDER 8.5 -175
    Patriots OVER 8.5 -150
    Panthers OVER 7.5 -110
    Seahawks OVER 7.5 -200

AFC East:

New England: Could make run for bowl. Still basic team that won it all two years ago. Beefed up defense looking solid in pre-season.

Jets: Jets are for real, should get wild card behind Pats.

Miami: Very strong team just got stronger with veteran defensive help that they didn't even need. Should be Wannstedt's last year if this team does not make the Superbowl; and I doubt they will. Much like Bucs; got the team, need the coach.

Bills: They're gonna miss Price.

AFC North:

Ravens: Look for them to win the North. Defense back in the saddle, and as they proved with Dilfer at the helm, it can be done.

Steelers: Two years ago this was the best team in the AFC hands down. The longer they go on winning without making the big one (again), the harder its getting for them to believe. Just ask Denny Green and his former Vikings.

Bengals: Kitna actually started looking like an NFL QB last season. We'll see. Should edge out the Browns.

Browns: Much as I like Davis and what he's got going on in Cleveland, somebody's gotta be the worst. With the heightened competitiveness this season, Cleveland could be worst in the league unless they gel and solve their defensive woes.

AFC South:

Tennessee: Could be overall best, well-balanced and well-coached team in the league; with fairly recent SB trip, they have the confidence to return. Loss of Wycheck shouldn't hurt too bad in long run. Titans will be a contender again.

Colts: As much as I like Dungy, I'm not sure he's the answer. Sure, they'll rack up some wins and a possible wildcard, but then what?

Houston:

I'll go ahead and move Houston up ahead of the Jags for no other reason than the bonehead decision to market Brunnel 1 1/2 weeks before kickoff. Texans actually pretty decent defense and very well coached. With any improvement on offense and they could be a nice spread killer in dog roles.

Jags: Okay, let's see. It's 1st and goal on the two, the game is still up for grabs, and there's less than 4 mintues remaining. Your team is the Dallas Cowboys last year. Hmmmm. After running Emmit 1 time for 1 1/2 yards, Campo chose to pass 3 times for incompletions on the 1/2 yard line. That's bonehead call #2 from last season, taking back seat to Marty Mornhinweg's decision to "kick" after they won the coin toss in overtime. And now, for the first bonehead call of the current season, the Jags market Brunnel less than 2 weeks before kick off. Don't look now, but their season could be over before it begins.

AFC West:

Chiefs: What is it with Vermeil and his offenses? I mean, I don't the 1980 Eagles being this prolific. Really. First the 1999 Rams and now the 2002 Chiefs. All this team needs is to step it up on defense just a very slight bit, and, hey, they're actually a SB contender if they score like the scored last year. Who's gonna out score'm? That is, if they can improve a little on defense.

Oakland: We're so sorry uncle Albert, you won't be repeating this season as AFC West Champs. You're too old and last year you blew it. But you're still talented enough to finish second.

Chargers: Brees improves.

Denver: Plummer is not the answer. What ever happened to Bubby? Hey, he was pretty decent.

NFC East:

Philly: Last year was their year, but this is still a very capable team. Don't count out Andy Reid just yet. Although if he blows it again, I'll put him in the Dennis Green category. But not yet; this team is the best in the NFL.

Giants: Collins keeps getting better with maturity. Every aspect of Fassel's team is strong and disciplined. They almost made the big one last year and could make a run again.

Cowboys: Decent defensive play last year; Parcells will make a difference, but you still gotta' have the tools; and until the solve the QB issue, they'll battle the Redskins for last.

Redskins: Man, Spurrier just doesn't get it. For all his football genious I'm rather taken back by his inability last season to work with what he has (Davis) rather than what he does not have (QB--pick one). I think Stever Spurrier thinks the run is a plaque. Again, good coach, good defense; they need to establish maturity at the QB position--and confidence.

NFC North:

Packers: Who else?

Vikings: Could be sleeper this year; was anxious to jump on'em plus six at Lambeau in their opener, but Bennet is out. Offensive line better this year, and if/when Bennet returns.....look out, they could be tough to handle; Moss effective off-season mentally and physically--ready to play.

Lions: Mariucci the difference between last and next to last.

Chicago: Another tough year in my opinion. Remember, everyone looks better on paper, but someone still has to lose. And when you weed'em out, it's just a matter of a process of eliminaition. Not that the Bears are that bad, but that the other teams are better.

NFC South:

Carolina: The Panthers will win their division this year, finish #1 in defense, make a VERY serious run for the Superbowl, win straight up as underdogs, blowout weak teams, blowout average teams, and be an overall nightmare for offensive coordinaters. Teams will struggle to cover the following week after playing the physical Panthers.

Tampa Bay: Still strong, but will have to settle for a wild card.

Falcons: What a shame. Man was I looking forward to seeing how opposing defenses were going to contain Vick while doubling Price. I guess we'll see when Mike returns; but I really question if he'll have the same edge; he might step out of bounds more often now.

Saints: Do not EVEN get me started on these sorry @ss Saints! Anyone who's followed my stuff over the years knows how much I have come to despise this team. Sorry. I have nothing for a QB that cannot take his role seriously when the game is on the line or for the coach that won't do anything about it. Brooks continues to give nice grill shots for the cameras while he cuts up with the players on the bench. That's great, but not if you're down by a score late in the game and you need to win it to make the playoffs. Oh, by the way, you're playing the worst team in the league. But that's okay. Just keep cutting up, don't bother to think about the next drive like Montana, Favre, Young, and any other self respecting 'intelligent' QB to ever play the game. Oh, maybe that's it.

Btw, this team has head problems after collapsing in each of their last 2 seasons. It's a kinda' hush hush hanging over their heads; nobody wants to talk about it, but they're all wondering what the answer is; because no one can put a finger on why the collapse against the worst teams in the league when they need to simply win to make the playoffs. This is a team that beat the Bucs twice last year. Well, they got head problems and still haven't gotten over it.

The Saints are having problems concentrating which is affecting their execution. Have you ever tried to play golf in the morning when you know you have something that needs to be done before 5:00 pm? Okay, then you know how hard it is to shoot a good game. That's where the Saints are at now, and they will have their head handed to them on a platter in their opener at Seattle--a team and coach whose time has come.

You heard it here first: THE TALENTED SAINTS HAVE ISSUES, AND THE FINGER POINTING WILL BEGIN BY MID-SEASON.

NFC West:

Seattle: Surprise, surprise. Finally, Hasselbeck gets it. Folks, you're in for treat watching the Hawks this year. It's sure to bring back memories of what we are use to seeing from Holmgren. One of the brilliant QB minds in the game, the Seattle HC has apparently finally got through to Hasselbeck if last year's closing numbers were any indicater. Throw in a Dash of Alexander and an improved run D, and you have all the makings of a classic sleeper. Bank'em week one when the dismantle the distracted Saints.

49ers: Look for San Fran and Seattle to battle it out for the West. New Head coach Erickson might be what the talented 49ers needed--a simple change. Garcia has been nothing short of spectacular in his 5 years and is on record pace to break both Montana's and Young's records--and that without the help of Rice. Expect yet another brilliant year and even better as Jeff will have freer reign under Erickson. Should be shoe in for playoffs.

Rams: Lotsa' talent, but until Warner proves he can return to '99 form, gotta' be thinking fade. League has found he can be rattled. Warner has relied on quick release to avoid sacks, but sooner or later quick release end in interceptions once studied. Cooler, more mobile Bulger might be the wiser choice if Warner struggles early.

Arizona: If Rams don't tighten up, Cards could actually assume the #3 position in the West. Addition of Smith and subtraction of Plummer equals a fresh and welcome change. Vastly improved defense and new found run game could make the Cards a live dog, if not a wildcard contender. But for now we'll keep'm in the cellar until they prove otherwise.

***THAT ENDS THE 2003 NFL PRE-VIEW ISSUE AS POSTED HERE LAST AUGUST***

By the time Issue One of the Spread Report was sent on September 3rd, 2003, I had FINALIZED my predictions. Here's a PASTE from my archives of every single mention of (or allusion to) the Carolina Panthers from Issue One to the Superbowl Issue:

Issue #1

(in prologue)

Greetings...

Football is FINALLY here! And I'll kick it all off with my Superbowl projection: Carolina Panthers versus New England Patriots

Right now you can get 35-1 on the Patriots to win it all and 75-1 on the Panthers. You can also get 35-1 on Carolina to win the NFC title and 8-1 on them to win their division.

(in analysis)

By now it's no secret that my choice for Most Improved Team of the Year and NFC Superbowl representative is the Carolina Panthers. Number two in defense last year, they'll be even better this year. They merely needed a little help on the offensive side of the ball to make the well-coached Panthers legitimate contenders--and they got it with Stephen Davis, Jake Delhoume, Kevin Dyson (injured), and Ricky Proehl. I like'm over the Jags (or anybody for that matter) to make a statement early: We are for real. Yes, they are. Panthers –4

Issue #2

No mention.

Issue #3

(in prologue regarding their upset Week 2 of the Champion Bucs)

Anymore Carolina Panther doubters? I know, the Season's still young, but we'll continue to back them in dog roles...

Issue #4

(in analysis)

Falcons @ PANTHERS

Well that didn't take long. Vegas caught on rather quickly (darn it) to my Superbowl Choice Panthers. Beat the defending champs and presto, just like that you're a six-point pick. As much as I like them, I'm not laying six to Doug Johnson and all that Falcon talent. Points might be worth a look in this game, but still hard to guage just how good this Panther team may or may not be: PASS

Issue #5

(in analysis)

Saints @ PANTERS

I haven't gone off on the Saints lately and this would be the perfect spot for it after last week's incredibly lackadasical showing. Brooks continues to cut up on the side line even when losing 55-13 in the third quarter. Whether they say so or not, this attitude coming from the QB rubs teammates the wrong way. Until Haslette has the guts to do something about it, the Saints will continue to struggle and lose fan support. He should bench Brooks and put in Delhomme.....oh yeah that's right, they screwed up that situation also.

Issue #6

(in analysis)

Panthers @ COLTS

Still not a believer? I called it before the Season began and maintain that the Panthers will be the most improved team in the league and will make a very real run for the Superbowl. They are still my choice in the NFC (even over the Vikes) and will win over the last tidbit of doubters this Sunday when the win Straigt Up at Indy. Watch. Fox's no-nonsense approach and zero tolerance for apathy makes the difference, and we'll rid'em with points EVERY time until they prove otherwise: PANTHERS

Issue #7

(in prologue)

Carolina Panthers continued to vindicate my insanity by pulling out yet another victory over a good football team; and on the road at that. They seem to be doing it on the strength of a bend-but-not-break system as Fox's team is consistently being outgained and is in the bottom third of the league offensively and defensively yardage wise. I like John Fox and what he's got going on, and you can expect the Panthers to continue to win.

(in analysis)

Titans @ PANTHERS:

I expect yet another banner performance from the Panther D. I liked them to shut down the high powered Colts offense last week, and I like them to shut down McNair and Company this week. Cats just keep getting the job done. Should be close, low-scoring game; but with LV catching up with the Panthers, we'll stay away this week as Tenny is quite tough themselves and are not a team I'm prepared to lay a single point to: PASS

Issue #8

(in analysis)

Panthers @ SAINTS

Very interesting match up. We will find out if Saints burst is for real, because one thing is for sure: The Panthers put last week behind them in the blink of an eye. That's John Fox. And while it's not unusual for even good teams to lose 2 straight once having lost one, we're not about to go against these guys. Saints seem to be the play, but we will: PASS

Issue #9

(in analysis)

Panthers @ TEXANS

Oh my beloved Panthers. Right now you would be 7-0 ATS this year going with them as dogs and against them as faves. Yes, that's the kinda' ball they play. Don't look for that to change this week. Especially with Capers taking his first crack at this former team. And you know how I feel about that. Houston could win straight up: TEXANS

Issue #10

(in prologue)

-We'll find out this week how good my Panthers are. They face the Bucs in a must win for Tampa Bay.

(in analysis)

Bucs @ PANTHERS

This is a very intriguing line. Cats are NFC-leading 6-2 versus a .500 ball club whom they already beat this year and are now a Home Dog. Ironically, I like the Bucs in this one. I'll bite with the division road fave as I feel the Bucs are in a similar situation to the Packers last Sunday night. And let's not forget, they are a good team: BUCS

Issue #11

(in prologue)

For the first time this season I didn't give the Panthers a chance, thinking they would've been hammered by the Bucs in a must win situation. But my Superbowl choice Panthers surprised even me and are looking more for real each week. The Cowboys and Panthers, both atop the NFC @ 7-2, meet in 2 weeks in what could be a NFC Championship preview--if you can believe that (and if Philly doesn't continue their roll). Wow.

(in analysis)

Redskins @ PANTHERS

Carolina been playing games close to the vest all season long, and this week shouldn't be any different. Redskins ended 4-game skid last week and Panthers are off virtual division clinching victory. Points look good: REDSKINS

Issue #12

(in prologue)

Come on PANTHERS!!! Alone at the Top of the NFC @ 8-2 and getting 75-1 back to win the Superbowl, you'd better believe I'm pulling for Carolina to win it all! Don't laugh, it could happen. Also got Chiefs at 25-1 and Pats at 35-1 and, yes, a hedge on Philly @ 5-1.

(in analysis)

Panthers @ COWBOYS

I'm not sure I can separate myself from this game emotionally. I'm so ecstatic about my Panthers and in particular in this matchup. I'm gonna be watching for sure. Whether to go with the home team or the points is the question. I lean toward the home team. But then again, laying points to an 8-2 team with excellent special teams, a solid defense, a strong running game, a sound coaching philosophy, and an enormous amount of confidence is not the smartest thing to do: PASS

Issue #13

(in analysis)

Eagles @ PANTHERS

It's that time of year when the CON-tenders are separated from the PRE-tenders. We'll find out what the Cats are all about here. I contend that they will contend and are therefore, well, contenders. So are the Eagles. Home field makes the difference: PANTHERS

Issue #14

(no mention, though listed them as play w/o analysis)

Issue #15

(in prologue)

If you missed Micheal Vick in his return Sunday night, you missed a good one. He single handedly beat the Panthers. No way I thought Vick would return with that kind of night. The good news for the NFL and fans alike (including me) is that Micheal Vick has not lost a step. All the pre-season hype about how Peerless Price would open up the field for Vick lived up to its billing. As much as I don't want to see him get hurt, I've got a feeling someone's gonna get real tired of him making them look stupid and pull a cheap shot on Vick. I really don't want to see that. But you could see the frustration on the part of the Panther defense. Vick is that good. So beyond anything I've seen that he truly does make the defense look like sandlot players. You mark my words, teams are gonna get real tired of that real fast. I've never seen anything like Micheal Vick. He did it at V-Tech, he did it last year, and Sunday night he picked right back up where he left off. Unbelievable.

Issue #16

(in prologue)

*Someone got to Vick. Man he stayed in the Pocket.

*Wannstedt is toast.

*The Eagles win it all?

*Don't count out the Panthers. It may seem laughable in view of the Eagles and Rams, but I maintain that Carolina has all the ingredients of a Superbowl team.

*Go PATRIOTS!

Issue #17

(no mention)

Issue #18 (playoffs begin)

(in prologue)

The NFL Playoffs are here, and what a wild finish it was as the Saints, Cards, and Lions played spoiler roles big time. Could the Packers be destined? Can the Eagles get it done without Westbrook being 100%? What about the Titans without a fully healthy McNair? Is anyone cabable of dethroning the Eagles in Philly and sending them into the land of Dennis Green's Viking days?

Although I am slightly biased, I believe the Panthers are best suited to take out the Ealges. Philly's run D is their weak spot and the Panthers D can keep it close enough to have a chance to win the game at the end--something they're good at. However, that match up probably will not happen (oh well) as Carolina--assuming they get by Dallas--would have to win @ St Louis. It could happen, but it's not likely as the Rams simply do not lose at home.

On the AFC side of the ball, it's looking like the Pats barring any kind of fluke. Pats could win it all and probably will; which is fine with me as they are my 2nd highest futures payoff (Panthers highest at 75-1). I guess we will see.

(in analysis)

Cowboys @ PANTHERS

If Parcells were not the coach, this would be a no-brainer to me. But he is the coach, which means you cannot count out his team no matter what. That said, I like the Panthers. I maintain that they have all the ingredients necessary to go to the Superbowl. Dallas does not as they lack a consistent running game or Superstar QB to make up for the lack thereof: PANTHERS & UNDER

Issue #19

(in prologue/analysis)

The Panthers-Rams game is a really tough call for me. Every ounce of me is pulling for the Panthers @ 75-1 back (futures to win SB). And every ounce of me clings tenaciously to my pride and belief that they have all the ingredients to go all the way.

The only problem is that the history of round two home teams off a bye is very solid and very consistent. The Rams are 8-0 SU at home and 6-1-1 ATS and are winning their home games by an average of 17.1 points per game. Add to that the fact that they are favored by merely one touchdown--a number I find a bit low as I was expecting double-digits. Carolina backers have jumped on the bandwagon apparently and last week's blowout win versus the Cowboys has kept the LV number in check vs the Rams this week.

I see no reason why the Rams won't win this game at home and cover the soft number. That's hard for me to say, but being objective, well, I gotta' stick to capping. Obviously, I hope I'm wrong in that assessment. There's a part of me that thinks the Panther's Head Coach John Fox has got'em focussed at just the right time; and that Marc Bulger is not proven in the Playoffs and even played poorly last week.

The very real possibility exists that the Panthers front four will be too much for unproven Bulger in any game--much less a playoff game with the added pressure. Last week's poor performance against one of the league's worst teams came on the heels of Mike Martz suggesting that "our playoffs begin today". Really? Gotta' wonder if Bulger's subsequent bad day was partly due to the added pressure or if, in fact, he merely had a bad game.

This game could very well resemble the 1999 Playoff matchup between the Bucs and Rams where Tampa Bay's defense shut down St Louis and the Bucs darn near won that game in a close, low-scoring battle. Let's not forget how dominating the Rams were that year prior to the Bucs game and how (seemingly) obvious a play on the Rams appeared. And that Rams team was far more dominating and better coached.

This is a game that I will be watching. I'll be pulling for the Cats all the way. Meanwhile, I think I am too close to the game to make a call. I've offered two scenarios above, but am torn: PASS

Issue #20

(prologue/analysis)

Prior to the beginning of the season I picked the New England Patriots and Carolina Panthers to meet in the Superbowl as evidenced throughout my SRO sheets. I have maintained since August that the Cats have the metal--all the necessary ingredients to get to the big dance.

My take going into last week's game in St Loius was that it could be the end of the season for the Panthers, but that if they did beat the Rams, that would be their hardest test and that they would go on from there to represent the NFC in the Superbowl. No disrespect to Packer fans or Eagle fans. I just felt like if they could get by the Rams on the road, then they would be okay since they match up well versus Green Bay and Philly.

Of course, the Panthers (nor the Patriots for that matter) have not actually made it there yet, and a Colts-Eagles matchup would not be far-fetched at all. However, I'm sticking to my original guns...

I prefer the moneyline on both games with the Pats -175 and the Cats +175 (Olympic, Monday 6:00 pm eastern).

Issue #21 (Superbowl)

(prologue/analysis)

Greetings...

Well they did it. In Issue #1 of the SRO I projected a Panthers-Patriots matchup and we got it. And for those who did like me and jumped on Carolina and New England early, it's a win-win game as the Pats were 35-1 back and the Panthers 75-1 back.

In addition to that we swept the board 7-0 on our Futures for Team Wins as documented in our NFL Preview posted at bettorstalk and in issue SRO Issue #1.

Here's what I like:

*Panthers +7
    *Panthers +225
    *UNDER 38.0
    *Pats UNDER 21.5
    *OVERTIME @ 8-1 back
    *MVP Deshaun Foster @ 15-1
    *MVP Steve Smith @ 15-1
    *MVP Ricky Manning Jr @ 22-1

I think Carolina will win this game. Therefore I'm looking in that direction when it comes to MVP futures. I'm discounting Jake Delhomme for 2 reasons. One, he's going against the deceptive Pats D. And two, I do not look for Fox to center his game plan around Jake (check NFC Championship game where Delhomme had a mere 14 attempts). I'm discounting Stephen Davis on three counts. One, he still may be slightly recovering. Two, Pats will focus on him. And three, Foster has been the man thus far in the playoffs and pays more to boot (15-1 against Davis' 8-1).

Although I don't expect much from the Panther passing attack, I still like Steve Smith for two reasons. One, he's a big play guy. A playmaker. He can take a 7-yard slant and go 70 yards (ask the Rams). Two, he's on special teams which gives us a double shot at some game-breaking plays from a game breaking guy. At 15-1, it's a bargain.

Finally, I like Ricky Manning Jr @ 22-1. This is an awful lot of money back on a guy that has stepped it up the way Ricky has. And in a game between two defensive minds, don't be surprised if it turns out to be a defensive game with a defensive MVP. Manning is my choice.

Panthers 16
    Patriots 13 (OT)

Good Luck,
    dave

***THAT ENDS THE PASTE OF LAST YEAR'S ARCHIVES OF THE SRO***

That's where my head was last year. Now I'm gonna make some preliminary observations regarding this Season...

...can the Jets bounce back with a healthy Pennington?
    ...can the Patriots repeat?
    ...will the Panters go back?
    ...what about the Packers?
    ...can the Colts go bowling now that monkey is off Dungy's back (and Manning's)?
    ...what about the Chiefs?
    ...who's the sleeper team?
    ...what about Philly?

Stay tuned...
    dave
    http://spreadreport.tripod.com

Packers

Had problems logging in under my username Warrior, so had to log in under my former username from last season. Anyway, here we go...

The handwriting was on the wall last year regarding the Panthers. I was rather surprised to see them at 100-1 back to win the Superbowl in August. By then, it was common knowledge among football enthusiasts that they had picked up Stephen Davis (over 4,000 yards rushing last 3 years with Redskins), Ricky Proehl, Kevin Dyson, and Jake Delhomme. Not to mention beefed up their offensive line.

Delhomme won a Championship overseas proving he could handle the pressure. He also looked good with the Saints. Why was the number so high at 100-1? I still don't have a clue. But I do have clues as to why they were contenders, and I picked up on those clues...

The Panthers were 2nd in Defense (Bucs #1) in 2002. That's clue number one...and a BIG one when it comes to SB contenders.

The Panthers were 7-9 in 2002 and finished up the season strong in the stretch. Their losses were by small margins save one or two games.

Their Head Coach in his first year proved himself to be a no-nonsense, Parcells-type coach; benching two key players that year for off-the-field antics--one of them a pro-bowler.

Their Special Teams in 2002 looked good.

So what were they missing? The Panthers needed just a small amount of help on offense, and in my judgement they would be a contender. Unlike the Chiefs who failed to address their defensive woes in the 2003 draft, the Panthers tackled their weakness with the afforementioned aquisitions.

Having done so, they attracted my attention. A flag went up. I was as impressed with the Panthers moves as I was un-impressed with the Chiefs moves. Only one thing remained for me before I laid down the cash @ 100-1 back, and that was Pre-Season. I give a lot of attention to it. By pre-season's end, I was convinced that the Panthers not only had all the ingredients to be a SB contender, but that they would be the team to beat in the NFC:

-Strong coaching/leadership
    -Strong defense
    -Solid Special Teams
    -Strong Ball Control/Running Game

Notice no mention of Superstar QB. I could name a mile long list of Superstar QB's that did not make the Superbowl. In contrast, I could likewise name a long list of nobody's that QB'd a team to the Superbowl. We know that to be true.

By the time Pre-Season was over, the odds were down to 75-1 back to Win the SB, 35-1 back to Win the NFC, and 8-1 back to Win the Division. Obviously a few others were taking note of the sneaky Panthers during Pre-Season.

That was last year, but what about this year? My NFC Choice (as of now) to make the Big Dance will not be a sleeper this year. I'm picking the Green Bay Packers in the NFC. They are the team I have my Pre-Season eye on. Unless I see something in the Pre-Season significant enough to unseat my thinking on this year's version of the Packers, I will stick with them. I expect their pre-season will confirm my suspicions.

All the ingredients seem to be in place. Let me first offer a rebuttal to three probable objections to my choice of the Packers as NFC reps in the SB; those objections namely would be the Eagles, Farve, and 4th and 26.

Firstly, right now there are some who are expecting Brett Farve to begin his downward career spiral. I do not belive that. If anything, I suspect he is in for an all-time best. His 41-7 thrashing of the Raiders on Monday Night and one day after the death of his father says it all. I believe that game was reactionary and representative of what you can expect this SEASON to be for him and his Packers. I believe he will respond this SEASON the way he responded in that GAME.

Two, some are speculating that the blown 4th down and 26 conversion on the part of the Packers defense (which kept them from going to the NFC Championship Game) will somehow have a hangover effect. Hogwash. The Packers D is in tact. They improved dramatically the latter half of the Season, allowing only one 100-yard rushing game and only one 300-yard game in route to a 7-1 finish in the final 8 games. Remember what I said about strong finishes the prior year! It is often an indicator of things to come!

And three, the Eagles. Many are saying that no one will be able to stop the Eagles this year. Wow. T.O. must be really magical. The idea that somehow T.O. is the solution to a team that has been in-tact, gelled, and made 3 straight NFC Championship appearances is, to me, rather arrogant. You heard it here first: The Eagles will not even win their division, much less make it to the NFC Game again.

Andy Reid has done a remarkable job and remains one of the league's better coaches, but they have run out of excuses for not making the big one; and the Kearse/Owen combo is not the answer in my opinion. Cowboys win the East, and the Packers will be the team to beat in the NFC.

Having addressed those objections, let me offer a couple other notes...

I've already mentioned the rise of the Packer D. In addtion to that, for the first time in the Brett Farve era, the Packers had more running plays than passing plays. That is a move in the right direction for a SB run.

Not only did the Packers finish up strong last year, but note that they had the smallest margin in their losses of anyone in the League. They also had the largest margin in their wins of any team in the league. They were #1 in the Red Zone on Offense, and, you guessed it, Number One in the Red Zone on Defense.

Perk up non-believers. The Pack is back. They fell one play short of the NFC Championship Game last year. This year they have a revived defense, a hungry Farve with a new sense of urgency looking for 1 more SB, a running game, young receivers, and the right opening day game to get their head straight right off the bat:

PACKERS @ PANTHERS on Monday Night Football

Care to guess who I'll be on?

dave

Comment

NFC NORTH

Speaking of the Packers, the NFC North has but one serious contender this year other than the Packers, and that would be the Vikings. Having said that, wouldn't it be interesting if the Bears snuck up on everyone. Despite improving from 4 wins in '02 to 7 wins last year, Jauron is gone. His replacement Lovie Smith is a strong defensive coordinator from the St Louis Rams.

Smith opted to use 4 of his first 5 draft picks on the defensive side of the ball. If he's wise enough to commit to a running game, their current strength, the Bears could land a .500 year or better. Or not. They're in a tough division that's getting even tougher with the Lions looking to improve this year as well.

As enthusiastic as the Bears might be, they could easily start out 0-2 on the season and in the division. That could put an early damper on things. Week Two has them pitted at Green Bay, a team Lovie is determined to beat. If the Bears focus to hard on that Week Two match up and overlook their opener against the hapless Lions, Mariucci could quietly sneak in and out with a win at Chicago as he is eager to snap their road losing streak to start the season out right for the improving Lions. In that scenario the Bears could find themselves shell-shocked right of the bat while attempting to bounce back at Green Bay.

I'm searching for potential Superbowl Prospects, Conference Champs, and Division Champs. The bottom line for the Bears is that they do not appear to fit in to any of those categories this year. Ditto for the Lions...

If you haven't read Barry Sanders book, check it out. He details, finally, why he retired. He makes a compelling case for a Lion's organization that is not serious about winning Championships but rather making money. That really rang true for me being as I live only 1 hour from New Orleans--a team with a history of buying low, training players, and selling high. I really like Steve Mariucci as a person and coach, but the feeling here is that if he could not take the San Francisco 49ers to the bowl, I doubt it will happen in Detroit.

Which leaves us with the Vikings. Talk about underachieving. I was really high on the Vikes last year and on Mike Tice. I correctly predicted a career year for Randy Moss due to his off-season improvements in work ethic and attitude. While the Vikings seem the more obvious choice than the Packers to win the NFC North and possibly the NFC Title, I have a problem with a team/coach/ system/whatever that starts out 6-0 and misses the playoffs for no apparent reason. It's not like they amassed a multitude of injuries to key players.

Secondly, when it came down to the nitty gritty in the final game of the season, on the final drive, and the final play, they failed. They gave up a TD to the worst team in the League. They lost. That's all I have to see to evaluate where they are. I expect more of the same this year: Underachievers falling short. This may seem like crazy reasoning, but consider last year's Eagles...

Again they were perennial faves to win the NFC, and I maintained strongly that if they could not get it done in 2002 with home field throughout the playoffs, what would be different in 2003? Amazingly, they are favored once again this year. And once again they will not get it done; but that's another subject.

The point is that sometimes you can eliminate non-contenders even if they appear to be contenders; and you can do that based on the crazy type reasoning I am using. With that in mind, again, the Vikings are not on my contenders list. What happened last year? What happened? They lost to the worst team in the league when in the most important game of their season. Period.

In setting out to pick SB contenders, eliminating the NON-contenders first makes the search easier. So here' what I have so far in my search for the NFC's Superbowl representative:

NON-CONTENDERS:

Lions...for what I hope are obvious reasons.
      Bears...ditto.
      Vikings...something wrong in the camp; no excuses, they did not get it done when it counted.

CONTENDERS:

Packers...QB, run game, improving D, legacy, confidence, etc.

As you can see, weeding out the non-contenders will quickly narrow down the list of possibilities, and you'll be left with some nice futures plays. Of course, these are just preliminary choices and will be subject to the scrutiny of Pre-Season.

Then I will make FINAL CALLS and send them out in my Annual NFL Preview, a part of the 22 Issues of my Spread Report Online. Check out the site for details...

I expect the AFC will be much harder, and I mean MUCH harder, to disect. I only see a handful of teams in the NFC that I will put on my contenders list; but in the AFC their is an entire slew of them. Weeding them out will be fun. Pre-Season will be the tale of the tape. Stay tuned...

David K. Toop

Comment

NFC EAST

In a division full of hall of fame coaches you can expect some competitive divisional rivalries. This could be the new black and blue division of the NFL. In picking a division winner, I'll look first to disount the team or teams that I do not expect to win it. Secondly, I'll look to defense first to pick my choice in the NFC.

The most glaring standout to me as far as who will NOT win this division is the New York Giants. Their defense is in shambles. While I expect they will be improved on the defensive side of the ball, and while the addition of Warner and Coughlin are attractive, I do not think this will be enough in their first year.

Perhaps in another division the aforementioned additions might effect a one-eighty in standings for the Gints, but not against the likes of Bill Parcells and his Dallas "D", Andy Reid and his SB Favored Eagles, or Joe Gibbs and his revamped and revised Redskins complete with the addition of Clinton Portis and Mark Breunel and what I expect to be a top five defense. Bottom line is someone has to finish in the cellar, and I believe it will be the Giants even if they manage 7 wins.

As this year's SB favorites, the Eagles are obviously the favorite to win the NFC East. While I do not doubt their potential, I question how this team will respond to having lost, again, in the NFC Championship Game. That makes three straight and two straight in their back yard. Something just isn't right. They have no excuses. Prior to last year's game, it was generally understood that this was the year; that this team may not ever play again in it's [then] current form. Somehow they lost again.

The high-profile additions of key impact players like Jevon Kearse and Terrel Owens may make a difference, but I wonder if the difference they make in talent will be off-set by the interuption in continuity. To me, the Eagles had gelled over the years. They were about as good as they could be, and I'm not sure the addition of slightly better talent in a couple of positions will be of any benefit--atleast not until Philly does some soul searching and purges themselves of that nagging problem: why can't we win the NFC Title?

Whatever the reason for their failing again when it counts the most, I don't know what the answer is; but I am convince what the answer is NOT. The answer is NOT that they have failed because they were lacking Terrel Owens and Jevon Kearse.

Andy Reid and his Eagles have now had double-digit ATS Winning Seasons for three straight years--a rare feat indeed and a testimony to Reid's ability to keep his team executing and keep them focussed through adversity. However, that should be a warning sign for potential Eagle backers. As though they will not already be overrated enough, add to that the additions of Kearse and Owens and you might find them to be laying a few too many points more often than not.

I would be very careful of the Eagles--for or against--early in the Season. This is a potential pivotal season for them. A collapse would not surprise me in the least. But in light of Reid's genious, neither would another Superbowl Run. With the rise of talent in the NFC East, the 3rd NFC Title Game loss in a row, and 3 straight double-digit ATS winning years, I am more inclined to expect a letdown from the Eagles this year. I do not expect them to be in this year's NFC title game. Going further, I do not expect them to win their division.

Which leaves us with two possible teams to win the NFC East: The Redskins and Cowboys. While I expect the Redskins to be VASTLY improved--indeed they are building quite an impressive thing there in DC, I'm going to give the nod to the Dallas Cowboys as the NFC East Champs.

The Redskins should be a very real threat in 2005 or 2006 (yes, that soon), and they could very easily compete with the Eagles for second place this year. Am I saying that the Eagles could finish third in the division? Yes. That would not surprise me at all. I expect the Redskins to battle them for second.

This leaves the Cowboys. A top-five defense last year, the more remarkable thing was that they were not that bad on offense considering that no one expected them to be as effective and they were with the young QB's. Dallas has the coach and the defense to win the division. With the additions of Testeverde and Keyshawn--two players who excelled under Parcells with the Jets, they now have the extra little help they needed on offense. The one thing that is in the air is the running game. If the Cowboy's offensive line can play up to snuff, and if Parcells appoint a back and commit to him, a four-yard per carry average is probable and will be enough to make a SB run. If not, the pressure will be on Vinny; something good enough for the NFC East but not good enough for a SB run.

I'm a Parcels believer. He took the same basic team that won 5 games for three straight seasons and turned them into a playoff team that outgained 13 of 16 of their regular season opponents. In the Net Yardage category, they were favored in every single game last year--the only team in the league that can say that. While my final analysis is pending Pre-Season, at this point I like the Cowboys to make a run for the SB this year. Stayed tuned...

dave

Comment

NFC SOUTH

The NFC South is somewhat wide open. Here's what you got...

The Bucs are looking to rebound off last season's disappointment, but they have lost Lynch, Sapp, and Keyshawn. Like'm or not, they're key losses. My feeling is that the Bucs have been very good for a very long time and that their run is over.

Don't forget, the Bucs were SB contenders several years prior to Gruden's arrival. Dungy could not get them over the hump. So I see them as a team that is either on the decline or at best in a rebuilding year of sorts. However, if anyone can overcome all that, it would be Chucky.

The Saints remain a mystery. An enigma. Along with the Dolphins they are the biggest underachievers in the League. I correctly predicted their destiny last season in my NFL Preview, suggesting that they were a distracted team; full of talent but lacking the focus to execute consistently.

They were (are?) like a person going out of a game of golf in the morning knowing they have errands to accomplish by three in the afternoon. Distracted, their game is not in tact.

The question is how will they be THIS year? Not sure. They continue to hang on to Jim Haslette despite the fact that players do not respect him. That's Haslette's fault.

On the positive side, their defense was drasticly improved last season and figures to be more of the same this year. Deuce McAllister had a career year and word is he'll be even better this year. Joe Horn is, well, Joe Horn. Awefully talented and lives up to it consistently. With a good running game, respectable defense, and good recievers, the only missing piece of the puzzle is the QB and Coach.

Once again last year Aaron Brooks played inconsistent, erratic (fumblitis), and well below his potential. His leadership ability is questionable at best as he continues to scoff when he should be focussing. I personally do not believe Haslette is the right coach; but I do think the Saints are talented enough to win despite him.

If Brooks gets his head straight, look out. The Saints can hang with anyone, ANYONE, in the leaque; they can win their division and go deep into the playoffs. They even could conceivably go to the Superbowl. What I mean is that all the ingredients are there.

But that's a big if. Do I think they will? Probably not. New Orleans has a long history of failure. They have a long history of marketing players just when they are hitting their prime. Buy low, farm them, sell high. That is their history. An 11-5 season would not surprise me. Nor would a 6-10. Flip a coin, but they're not going to the big dance.

The Carolina Panthers are basicly the same team that went all the way last year. Makes you wonder how it is that fully ten out of the other 15 NFC teams are either favored above or equal to the Panthers regarding who will win the NFC. Their are 12 teams ahead of them to win the bowl. Go figure.

At 12-1 and 20-1 respectively, those are not bad odds for the Panthers who still have everything necessary to go back. The question is will they? Probably not. When you look at teams that repeat a SB appearance, you don't get an image of the Panthers who relied on 4th-quarter comebacks in 7 of their wins last season. When you talk about going two years straight, you're usually talking about Farve-led Packers, Montana-led 49ers, Elway-led Broncos, or Brady-led Patriots (my current choice in the AFC). You know, those kinda' teams. Don't look for the Panthers to go back. Will they win their division? The NFC South is wide open in my opinion with virtually all four teams capable and all four on their own little bubbles.

Then are are the Falcons. The Falcons are my 'lean' to win this division. If Dan Reeves were still there, I would lock it up as my choice. But the verdict is out on how young Jim Mora Jr is going to work out his first year. The feeling here is that something special is happening down in the New York of the South and that we are in for a treat. Watching how teams are going to stop Vick and Price is going to be fun.

Vick is the most exciting player in my 25-years of football. If you successfully cover Price and contain Vick, you have conceded the run game--which makes the Falcons a winning team provided the D'Angelo-led defense improves. It will. If you stop the run, you will inevitably give up chunks of yardage to either Price or Vick. It is my belief that this team will score at will provided:

A.) The are coached right.
          B.) Vick is given--and takes--free reign.
          C.) Vick remains healthy (slides).

All Vick has to do is accept the 40-yard run with a slide and concede the 45-yarder with a concussion. Mark my words, if Vick plays the way he likes to play and doesn't try to be something he's not (a pocket passer), then opposing defenses will get real tired real fast of him making them look like grade school sandlot players. Yeah. He's that good.

My concern is that sooner or later someone will take a shot at him--even if he slides. That would be a bummer, because he's fun to watch. With that thought in mind, I wonder if he won't maybe restrain himself a bit (could you blame him) to the detriment of the team. I suspect we will see a more conservative Vick; more cautious and choosey about when he runs. If I were Jim Jr, I would be tempted not to use Vick and Price to win games, but rather use the THREAT of Vick and Price to establish a run-first football team--the end result of which is a winning team. My choice to win the NFC South at this time is the Falcons.

dave

Comment

NFC WEST

Okay so the Cards are looking up. The OVER 4.5 team wins sure looks inviting. But I'm looking for Superbowl Teams, Division Winners, and Conference front-runners and do not expect the Cards to be any of the above this year.

Dennis Green will bring improvement because he's a winner. Although one has to wonder if he could not get the '98 Vikings to the Big Dance, it is highly unlikely he will get the Cards there. Ever. Much less this season.

The Cardinals are like the Lions and Saints. They have a long history of losing and falling short. I dont' expect that to change as they are stacked in the same division with the Rams and Seahawks. Forty-niners? Hey, Cards just might beat'em out for third place.

You heard it here first (or not). The Niners are toast. They will battle the Cards for last place and I believe the Niners just might win that one--last place that is.

Meanwhile you're left with a 2-team run at the NFC West Title. Namely the Rams and Seahawks. The Rams are still stacked with talent. The only problem is they got rid of the QB that got'em there. Dont get me wrong, Bulger is the man. But Bulger could not get it done when it counted.

The night before their final game at Detriot, Coach Martz told his team that "THEIR playoffs begin tomorrow". That's all the pressure it took to rattle Bulger as he had the worst start of his career in losing 30-20 as 11-point faves against one of the worst teams in the league. Bottom line: He didn't get it done when it counted the most. Not at Detriot and not at home against the Panthers.

Someone will say, "But Warner's numbers are horid in his last eight starts". Granted. But he was playing injured. I will admit that teams figured a way to 'rattle' Warner. But I will also say he has one of the quickest releases in the League and that when he is not playing injured he wins.

Consider the game when he fumbled six times. Ok you can watch film and say, "Hey, THAT decision or THIS decision had NOTHING to do with his hand injury".

Oh. That game. The game when Mike Martz found out Warner was playing with a mild concussion AFTER the game and AFTER six fumbles. He looked totally disoriented out there. Listen up folks, I dont' know how Warner will pan out in New York with limited pass protection, but I believe the Rams made a mistake by letting him go before they reviewed how he would perform with a healthy hand/wrist and when he plays conscious.

Bank it: The Rams messed up, and Martz is the most overrated, aloof, boneheaded coach in the game. I'm not trying to be mean ok. He's a great guy. But so many of his gametime head coaching decisions are very questionable, and if he didn't have so much talent in his hands, the team would've already collapsed.

It will be very interesting to see how Bulger performs now that Warner is gone. Some (if not most or all) of the beliefs are that he will excell now that Warner is not over his shoulder--now that the Rams are "his" team. Careful here folks. Remember what we learned from Bulger last year: he's not a pressure QB. And if anything brings pressure, it's the load he's about to take on. That is, being the unchallenged leader. I would be very careful backing the Rams until we see what's going to happen. Their talent is deep enough to sustain, but a collapse to .500 would not surprise me in the least.

The Winner of the NFC West will be the Seahawks. They have the coach, Hasselbeck is 'getting it', they have the running game in Alexander, and their young defense is improving. The Seahawks won't be challenged for their division...not even by the Rams.

Check out the site for the July Early Bird Special. There's still 8 days left and it's a steal.

dave

Comment

Working...
            X