NFL Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL Preview

Okay it's time. I've seen enough. I had some early indications of who I would be liking this season, and from the looks of Pre-Season, I won't be disappointed.

Some of you will remember my NFL Preview a few years ago when I projected the Titans to be the most improved team in the league. That article was posted at ********* and also published in playersedge mag. They went to the Superbowl that season.

I followed by projecting the Ravens to be the most improved team in the leaque, and they too went to the Superbowl that season. Too bad it didn't always happen that way; but for atleast those two times it did.

If you're really an old timer, you will remember a projection I made in the early 90's when the Cowboys went 1-15:

"Some how the League has allowed the Cowboys to amass perhaps the biggest steal in NFL History with the Vikings-Hershel Walker fiasco. Well they will regret it. Expect the Cowboys to be the team of the 90's. They will win four Superbowls and atleast 2 of them back-to-back; if not three."

And, of course, those closest to me cannot forget my call on the Broncos-Packers Superbowl:

"The Broncos (12-point dogs) will break the NFC win Streak and win the game straight up. It will be close--perhaps the first overtime game in SB history. I figure the final to be 30-24 Denver in OT."

Final: 31-24 Denver as they scored late to break a 24-24 tie and avoid OT. Okay. Enough bragging. Let's get to it...

During the off-Season, I've been really high on the Jets. I feel they have all they need to win a Superbowl. They have a QB who is not only efficient but extremely cool under pressure. Sophmore jinx? Forget about it. Rookie QB's coming off record seasons (eg, magic Majkowski, Packers) often suffer Sophmore jinx's because they become invinsible in their minds. The difference with Pennington is that he spent a couple years on the bench and learned.

Next the Jets have the coach. The days of the Jets folding when the spotlight is on them, well, those days are over. Herman Edwards is not Rich Kotite. He's the real deal and you will see. Those were my thoughts during the off-season. But then came the blue light special they granted the Redskins. All the critices came out. Even magazines are picking them to finish last or third in the AFC East--and that was BEFORE Pennington's injury. For sure now the whole knowledgable football world will discount the Jets.

In fact, the overreaction has gotten so rediculous, the Jets are now a 3-point dog to the Redskins. What? Folks, the Jets are a legitimate Superbowl Contender. When you break down the players that they traded to the Skins, you'll find the most significant one to be WR Coles.

Well, I took the liberty to make sure I was awake to watch the opening drive of the Japan Bowl in the wee hours of the morning when the Bucs and Jets played their 1st pre-season game. I've could've written the script:

"Expect the Jets to silence their critics by going to Curtis Conway (Cole's replacement) early, often, and deep."

Pennington came out cool, hitting Conway for a short completion on the Jets first play from scrimmage. Two plays later, he hit Conway deep for about a 40-yard gain. And before it was all over, Penny and the Jets had completed 4 of 4 for 67 yards and a TD against the Bucs starting defense. No signs of sophmore jinx's or jitters, and a sigh of relief for Yorkers who wondered if Conway could fill the shoes.

Defense? The Jets defense improved over 100 yards per game their final 11 games versus their first five games last season. Now, what about Vinny? Can he do it? Hey, I'll admit I'm going with a bit of a hunch here, but I've got a very strong feeling that Vinny T is in for a record season for his career. I think he was much inspired by the success of Pennington last season--whom he humbly aided and supported on the sidelines without complaint.

Watch out for the Jets. You can bank'em in their opener at Washington. The Jets are so far better than the Redskins its not even funny. Watch the Jets--watch Edwards have another great season in the face of adversity. The Dolphins couldn't get to the playoffs despite being in the top 3 in eleven key statistical categories last season. The Bills will be improved on defense but don't yet realize how much they're gonna miss Peerless Price, and the Patriots, well, they're SB contenders as well--another key team to watch, and especially in underdog roles.

Now, having said all that (and I still believe it), there is one other team that I am even more excited about, and they are my choice for MOST IMPROVED TEAM OF THE YEAR. If they follow suit like the Titans and Ravens a couple years ago, they could end up in the Superbowl. And don't laugh, because at the time of my Baltimore projection, it was equally laughable--but it happened.

And right now with this team, you can get back 8-1 to win their division, 35-1 to win their conference, and 75-1 to win the Superbowl. To give you an idea of how seemingly laughable my choice is, the only teams with higher odds to win the SB are the Lions, Cardinals, Bengals, and Texans. My choice this year to be most improved in the NFL, the most underrated team and biggest sleeper is...

The Carolina Panthers

#2 in defense last season, they will be #1 this year. John Fox took them from 1-15 to 7-9 in his first year. He is a solid, fundamentals, textbook, no-nonsense coach. Randy Moss wouldn't last 4 hours on Fox's Panthers Squad on a good day. During the off-season the Panthers beefed up the offensive line, acquired Stephen Davis, Ricky Proehl, Kevin Dyson, and Jake Delhomme who showed promise in place of Arron Brooks last year with the Saints.

Rodney Peete complete 58% of his passes last season and has a stronger OL this year and Delhomme to back him up. Dyson is injured but that won't matter because (a.) Panthers are deep at the position, and (b.) they are primarily a running, clock burning team. Fundamentals. Bank it. You hear it here first:

>>>THE CAROLINA PANTHERS WILL RAISE EYEBROWS THIS SEASON WITH THEIR UNGODLY DEFENSE AND SLOW BURNING, BALL CONTROL OFFENSE.

>>>EXPECT THEM TO MIX IN JUST ENOUGH MUHAMMAD, MANGUM, AND PROEHL TO KEEP THE LANES OPEN FOR DAVIS.

Bank it. Week One:

Jets +3 over REDSKINS
    PANTHERS -3.5 over the "trying to trade our Veteran QB with less than two weeks before kickoff" Jaguars.

Man, can you imagine? What does that do to team morale and continuity? At this point it doesn't matter who starts for the Jags. If they start Brunnel, I'm not sure he'll be up to par in view of this late attempt at a trade. And if they don't, the Panther's defense will eat their lunch with Garrard, Gray, or Leftwich at the helm.

Other Week One thoughts:

Ravens +6 over STEELERS (plus six with this coach automatic)
    Colts +1' over BROWNS (Browns D having probs; Colts D much improved; Indy ready to make run)
    SEATTLE -3 over Saints (Saints got head problems; Seahawks HUGE sleeper)

Futures I like:

To Win SB:

Eagles 9-1
    Jets 15-1
    Titans 20-1
    Chiefs 25-1
    Pats 35-1
    Ravens 40-1
    Seahawks 50-1
    Vikings 50-1
    Panthers 75-1

To Win AFC:

Jets 8-1
    Titans 8-1
    Chiefs 12-1
    Pats 11-1
    Ravens 16-1

To Win NFC:

Eagles 4-1
    Seahawks 20-1
    Vikings 22-1
    Panthers 35-1

To Win Division:

Panters 8-1

Over/Under Season Wins:

Titans OVER 9.5 -125
    Browns UNDER 8.5 -175
    Patriots OVER 8.5 -150
    Panthers OVER 7.5 -110
    Seahawks OVER 7.5 -200

AFC East:

New England: Could make run for bowl. Still basic team that won it all two years ago. Beefed up defense looking solid in pre-season.

Jets: Jets are for real, should get wild card behind Pats.

Miami: Very strong team just got stronger with veteran defensive help that they didn't even need. Should be Wannstedt's last year if this team does not make the Superbowl; and I doubt they will. Much like Bucs; got the team, need the coach.

Bills: They're gonna miss Price.

AFC North:

Ravens: Look for them to win the North. Defense back in the saddle, and as they proved with Dilfer at the helm, it can be done.

Steelers: Two years ago this was the best team in the AFC hands down. The longer they go on winning without making the big one (again), the harder its getting for them to believe. Just ask Denny Green and his former Vikings.

Bengals: Kitna actually started looking like an NFL QB last season. We'll see. Should edge out the Browns.

Browns: Much as I like Davis and what he's got going on in Cleveland, somebody's gotta be the worst. With the heightened competitiveness this season, Cleveland could be worst in the league unless they gel and solve their defensive woes.

AFC South:

Tennessee: Could be overall best, well-balanced and well-coached team in the league; with fairly recent SB trip, they have the confidence to return. Loss of Wycheck shouldn't hurt too bad in long run. Titans will be a contender again.

Colts: As much as I like Dungy, I'm not sure he's the answer. Sure, they'll rack up some wins and a possible wildcard, but then what?

Houston:

I'll go ahead and move Houston up ahead of the Jags for no other reason than the bonehead decision to market Brunnel 1 1/2 weeks before kickoff. Texans actually pretty decent defense and very well coached. With any improvement on offense and they could be a nice spread killer in dog roles.

Jags: Okay, let's see. It's 1st and goal on the two, the game is still up for grabs, and there's less than 4 mintues remaining. Your team is the Dallas Cowboys last year. Hmmmm. After running Emmit 1 time for 1 1/2 yards, Campo chose to pass 3 times for incompletions on the 1/2 yard line. That's bonehead call #2 from last season, taking back seat to Marty Mornhinweg's decision to "kick" after they won the coin toss in overtime. And now, for the first bonehead call of the current season, the Jags market Brunnel less than 2 weeks before kick off. Don't look now, but their season could be over before it begins.

AFC West:

Chiefs: What is it with Vermeil and his offenses? I mean, I don't the 1980 Eagles being this prolific. Really. First the 1999 Rams and now the 2002 Chiefs. All this team needs is to step it up on defense just a very slight bit, and, hey, they're actually a SB contender if they score like the scored last year. Who's gonna out score'm? That is, if they can improve a little on defense.

Oakland: We're so sorry uncle Albert, you won't be repeating this season as AFC West Champs. You're too old and last year you blew it. But you're still talented enough to finish second.

Chargers: Brees improves.

Denver: Plummer is not the answer. What ever happened to Bubby? Hey, he was pretty decent.

NFC East:

Philly: Last year was their year, but this is still a very capable team. Don't count out Andy Reid just yet. Although if he blows it again, I'll put him in the Dennis Green category. But not yet; this team is the best in the NFL.

Giants: Collins keeps getting better with maturity. Every aspect of Fassel's team is strong and disciplined. They almost made the big one last year and could make a run again.

Cowboys: Decent defensive play last year; Parcells will make a difference, but you still gotta' have the tools; and until the solve the QB issue, they'll battle the Redskins for last.

Redskins: Man, Spurrier just doesn't get it. For all his football genious I'm rather taken back by his inability last season to work with what he has (Davis) rather than what he does not have (QB--pick one). I think Stever Spurrier thinks the run is a plaque. Again, good coach, good defense; they need to establish maturity at the QB position--and confidence.

NFC North:

Packers: Who else?

Vikings: Could be sleeper this year; was anxious to jump on'em plus six at Lambeau in their opener, but Bennet is out. Offensive line better this year, and if/when Bennet returns.....look out, they could be tough to handle; Moss effective off-season mentally and physically--ready to play.

Lions: Mariucci the difference between last and next to last.

Chicago: Another tough year in my opinion. Remember, everyone looks better on paper, but someone still has to lose. And when you weed'em out, it's just a matter of a process of eliminaition. Not that the Bears are that bad, but that the other teams are better.

NFC South:

Carolina: The Panthers will win their division this year, finish #1 in defense, make a VERY serious run for the Superbowl, win straight up as underdogs, blowout weak teams, blowout average teams, and be an overall nightmare for offensive coordinaters. Teams will struggle to cover the following week after playing the physical Panthers.

Tampa Bay: Still strong, but will have to settle for a wild card.

Falcons: What a shame. Man was I looking forward to seeing how opposing defenses were going to contain Vick while doubling Price. I guess we'll see when Mike returns; but I really question if he'll have the same edge; he might step out of bounds more often now.

Saints: Do not EVEN get me started on these sorry @ss Saints! Anyone who's followed my stuff over the years knows how much I have come to despise this team. Sorry. I have nothing for a QB that cannot take his role seriously when the game is on the line or for the coach that won't do anything about it. Brooks continues to give nice grill shots for the cameras while he cuts up with the players on the bench. That's great, but not if you're down by a score late in the game and you need to win it to make the playoffs. Oh, by the way, you're playing the worst team in the league. But that's okay. Just keep cutting up, don't bother to think about the next drive like Montana, Favre, Young, and any other self respecting 'intelligent' QB to ever play the game. Oh, maybe that's it.

Btw, this team has head problems after collapsing in each of their last 2 seasons. It's a kinda' hush hush hanging over their heads; nobody wants to talk about it, but they're all wondering what the answer is; because no one can put a finger on why the collapse against the worst teams in the league when they need to simply win to make the playoffs. This is a team that beat the Bucs twice last year. Well, they got head problems and still haven't gotten over it.

The Saints are having problems concentrating which is affecting their execution. Have you ever tried to play golf in the morning when you know you have something that needs to be done before 5:00 pm? Okay, then you know how hard it is to shoot a good game. That's where the Saints are at now, and they will have their head handed to them on a platter in their opener at Seattle--a team and coach whose time has come.

You heard it here first: THE TALENTED SAINTS HAVE ISSUES, AND THE FINGER POINTING WILL BEGIN BY MID-SEASON.

NFC West:

Seattle: Surprise, surprise. Finally, Hasselbeck gets it. Folks, you're in for treat watching the Hawks this year. It's sure to bring back memories of what we are use to seeing from Holmgren. One of the brilliant QB minds in the game, the Seattle HC has apparently finally got through to Hasselbeck if last year's closing numbers were any indicater. Throw in a Dash of Alexander and an improved run D, and you have all the makings of a classic sleeper. Bank'em week one when the dismantle the distracted Saints.

49ers: Look for San Fran and Seattle to battle it out for the West. New Head coach Erickson might be what the talented 49ers needed--a simple change. Garcia has been nothing short of spectacular in his 5 years and is on record pace to break both Montana's and Young's records--and that without the help of Rice. Expect yet another brilliant year and even better as Jeff will have freer reign under Erickson. Should be shoe in for playoffs.

Rams: Lotsa' talent, but until Warner proves he can return to '99 form, gotta' be thinking fade. League has found he can be rattled. Warner has relied on quick release to avoid sacks, but sooner or later quick release end in interceptions once studied. Cooler, more mobile Bulger might be the wiser choice if Warner struggles early.

Arizona: If Rams don't tighten up, Cards could actually assume the #3 position in the West. Addition of Smith and subtraction of Plummer equals a fresh and welcome change. Vastly improved defense and new found run game could make the Cards a live dog, if not a wildcard contender. But for now we'll keep'm in the cellar until they prove otherwise.

The Spread Report Online:

What is it?

In its third year, the Spread Report Online is an "online" information tipsheet full of neat system plays, formula plays, and the like.

What does it include?

The SRO includes EXCLUSIVE games and plays from my:

*NFL Real Number Line
    *NFL Spread Formula
    *NFL Yardage Formula
    *NFL Turnover Formula
    *NFL Turnover Super System
    *NFL Rush Ydg System
    *NFL Rush Defense System
    *NFL Pass Ydg System
    *NFL Yds Per Pass Formula
    *NCAA ASR Formula
    *NCAA Rush Yardage Formula
    *NCAA Pass Yardage System
    *And Dave's Faves!

If you would like more information regarding the Spread Report Online and the phenomenal record of each of these formulas and systems, you can check it out at:

http://www.footballformulas.com
    dave

capperjohn1...

...also like UNDER Redskins and Bears.

I have an article about Pre-Season and how it relates to futures somewhere at bettorschat. I'll find it and bump it...

dave

Comment

Working...
    X