X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jets & Bucs

American Bowl, Tokyo

New York Jets vs Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Two years ago Herman Edwards took over as HC of the Jets and brought some zest to the table. New York became the first team in NFL history to win their division after a 2-5 start. But now in the big apple--the media capital of the world--the criticism has begun.

After amassing the troops and going to the Playoffs two straight years, Yorkers are a little uneasy about the GM's allowing the release of 4 key players including WR Coles and OG Randy Thomas. Even some magazines are picking the Jets to finish 3rd or even last in their division.

But I'm not sold. I don't buy it. The days of the Jets collapsing just when they are expected to do something are history under Herman Edwards, and the criticism will merely add fuel to the overall team incentive. I'm high on the Jets this season and figure them to be a Superbowl contender. In fact, they are my choice to go the the Superbowl (against the still hungry, still awesome Bucs). In any event, I don't want to get into my NFL Preview right now.

I figure the Jets to still be chomping at the bits. And those are the kinds of teams I look at during pre-season. Second, anyone who has followed Pre-Season the last few years knows that Pennington is the KING of pre-season. While Chad won't play nearly as long as he has the last 2 years as a backup, he's probably good for an early score against a vanilla Bucs defense not out to break records (or bones).

Third, the Jets have enough depth at the QB position w/Testaverde & Pennington to match the Buc's Brad Johnson (1 series?), Shawn King, and Jim Miller. The last quarter and a half will most likely belong to Simms and Bollinger, and it would be mere speculation to guess who does better.

John Gruden's once winning pre-season record has become spotty the last 4 years, his fifty-fifty mark suggesting he puts little emphasis on the outcome. With the Bucs and Gruden coming off a Superbowl win, expect them to play soft in their pre-season opener with (obviously) nothing to prove. History backs that up as the Superbowl winners in the last 10 years are 1-4 ATS playing away from home in their 1st Pre-Season game the following season.

The Jets on the other hand, well, you gotta' wonder if they don't wanna win this one. Besides the fact that Edwards (7-1 ATS pre-season), much like Parcells, prefers to keep the winning attitude in pre-season, add to that the possibility that just maybe the Jets would like to beat the team they could've played in the Superbowl. Maybe? Probably--even if it is pre-season.

The thing that stands out to me is a team that is chomping at the bits to get back on the field and silence their critics vs last year's Superbowl winner. Sure it's only pre-season, but a quick score (or two) from Pennington to Curtis Conway against last year's Superbowl Champs certainly would not hurt. Watch Bollinger.

2* New York Jets +2' over Tampa Bay Bucs

The Turnovers went in your favor in 75% of these games--averaging a NET of +1.3 Turnovers PER winner:

9/29 LIONS (+8') 26, Saints 21 WINNER
    9/29 CHIEFS (+3) 48, Dolphins 30 WINNER

10/6 BRONCOS (-6) 26, Chargers 9 WINNER
    10/7 Packers (pk) 34, BEARS 21 WINNER (mon)

10/13 PATS (-6) 10, Packers 28 oops
    10/13 VIKINGS (-4') 31, Lions 24 WINNER
    10/13 RAMS (+8) 28, Raiders 13 WINNER

10/20 Bills (+5') 23, DOLPHINS 10 WINNER
    10/20 SAINTS (-1') 35, 49ers 27 WINNER

10/27 49ERS (-8') 38, Cards 28 WINNER
    10/27 PATS (-3) 16, Broncos 24 oops
    10/28 Giants (+7) 3, EAGLES 17 oops (mon)

11/3 BEARS (+7) 13, Eagles 19 WINNER
    11/3 BROWNS (+3') 20, Steelers 23 WINNER
    11/3 GIANTS (-3) 24, Jags 17 WINNER

11/10 Seahawks (+3) 27, CARDS 6 WINNER

11/17 TEXANS (+6) 21, Jags 24 WINNER
    11/17 DOLPHINS (-4') 26, Ravens 7 WINNER

11/24 PANTHERS (+3) 0, Falcons 41 oops

12/1 BILLS (+2) 38, Dolphins 21 WINNER
    12/1 SAINTS (+2') 23, Bucs 20 WINNER

12/15 DOLPHINS (-1) 23, Raiders 17 WINNER
    12/16 TITANS (-3) 24, Pats 7 WINNER (mon)

12/22 Chargers (+2') 22, CHIEFS 24 WINNER
    12/22 REDSKINS (-6') 26, Texans 10 WINNER

12/29 GIANTS (-1) 10, Eagles 7 WINNER
    12/29 BRONCOS (-13) 37, Cards 7 WINNER

1/5 Browns (+8) 33, STEELERS 36 WINNER

1/11 Steelers (+4) 31, TITANS 34 WINNER

The NFL Turnover "Super System" Plays are available EXCLUSIVELY in this year's Spread Report Online.

PLUS, the Plays from 10 more NFL and College Football Formulas!

INCLUDING the NCAA College Football ASR Formula which nailed 64% Winners against the spread in last year's Spread Report Online.

Now, if you'd like more info on the Spread Report Online, the Formulas, and their game-by-game results, feel Free to visit the site.

But swing by soon as the July 1/2 price Early Bird Special is almost gone. Thank you for your time...

Sincerely,

David K. Toop
    http://www.footballformulas.com

Order info:
    $126 to: David Toop--Box 8411--Gulfport--MS--39506
    Or: http://www.paypal.com (send to [email protected])
Working...
X