Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FREE PLAY - NCAAFB - Minnesota vs. Kent

Minnesota vs. Kent

Minnesota fans have probably been a bit spoiled going to a bowl game 6 out of the last 7 years. Not to mention they have had a stud running back unit for quite some time now. This team has lost ALOT of All-Americans, as well as Laurance Maroney (NFL) & Russel who accademically couldn't make the grade. This gives Amir Pinnix the starting running back job, and he will be forced to run behind some inexperience, after the loss of Outland Trophy winner Greg Eslinger & All-American guard Mark Setterstrom. This offense is filled with some question marks, although returning is Bryan Cupito who has shown some flashes of brilliance last year. Cupito will have his work cut out for him this year, with many key losses to the offensive unit. On the defensive unit Minnesota never had too much to be proud of as Big Ten opponents averaged over 34 points per game against Minnesota. They were ranked 90th nationally in defense last year, and its difficult to imagine that this team's defense could significantly improve from last year. They are small on the defensive line and their secondary is questionable at best. To make a huge impact on defense, they need a complete overhaul, which I just do not see happening in 1 season. Kent St. has a lot of room to improve from 2005 with a 1-10 record. Although they managed to only squeeze 1 victory out last year, they had several close games. They were dead last in their division for rushing in 2005, but this should change with speedy transfer Howard from michigan State appearing in the backfield in 2006. They have depth and talent in the receiving corps, and should make some plays as long as their leader QB Machen can keep the turnovers to a minimum which was an issue last year. Their defense took a hit in the linebacker spots, but have made a few changes that should pick up some of the slack, including Damian Matuscheck a transfer from Pittsburg. I believe most people will initially look at this matchup and start loading up on Minnesota. I would imagine that about 70% of the general public will think this is a steal, when in all reality they could be in for a big surprise. I just see too many question marks with Minnesota this year, while Kent St. should be improved. I believe Kent St. can keep this game within 2 touchdowns, and therefore my money will be laid with Kent St.

Take: Kent + 15.5
    Against The Spread Winners
Working...
X