Faith the Two-Legged Dog Turns Seven This Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faith the Two-Legged Dog Turns Seven This Christmas

Seven years ago this Christmastime, a tiny puppy was born with only two fully formed hind legs to a "junkyard dog" raised to guard a flea market, reports the Associated Press. The deformed and weak puppy was being smothered by its mother when Reuben Stringfellow, 17-years old at the time, rescued the helpless newborn and brought it home, where he and his mother, Jude Stringfellow, cared for the puppy and named her Faith.

YouTube - First Person: Faith the Dog Inspires With Two Legs

"When Reuben brought Faith to us she had three actual legs, but the left front leg was badly deformed, placed backward, upside down, and it had more toes on it than normal dog legs," writes Jude Stringfellow on Faith's official website. "The leg was removed when she was seven months old when it began to atrophy. People ask me if it was easy to teach Faith to walk upright... the answer is no! It was not easy, and it was not natural."

But learn to walk Faith did -- with the help of some peanut butter, encouragement and, well, faith. Since overcoming her congenital defect and learning to walk upright on her hind legs, Faith and her owner Jude have toured the country visiting injured soldiers at veterans' hospitals.

"She just walks around barking and laughing and excited to see them all," Jude tells the Associated Press. "There is a lot of crying, pointing and surprise. From those who have lost friends or limbs, there can be silence. Some will shake my hand and thank me, some will pat her on the head. There is a lot of quiet, heartfelt, really deep emotion."

Faith is a "Christmas miracle," Jude states on her website. "Faith's real birthday is unknown but we gave her the date of December 22 to celebrate. We know she was born within a few days of that date."

This January, Faith will be reunited with her rescuer Reuben, who has been serving in the military, reports the Associated Press. We hope cameras will be there to capture the emotional reunion.
Working...
X