Hans in Concert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hans in Concert

I saw Hans in concert at the Royal Arena in Copenhagen the other night. What a fantastic evening of music. I wanted to share some reflections:

- there is a lot of talk about the lack of female representation in the music industry, but Hans is demonstrating by his selection of musicians, why this must no longer remain an issue. I would say well over half of his orchestra were female, and playing incredibly. Bravo Hans!
    - how incredible Hans (and his team) has been in identifying outstanding new talent: it may simply be my ignorance, as I don't know what they were doing before, but the fact that he has made Tina Guo and Lisa Gerrard household names, and others recognisably familiar (I don't know the names but the guy who plays the duduk and other exotic wind instruments with such beautiful flamboyance; the raw power of the female singer in Dune; the incredible skill and dexterity of the lead guitarist, and the soulful voice of the African singer in Lion King (who Hans met as a refugee washing cars!!). Such an amazing set of new talent that Hans has brought to the public's attention
    - the art of the heavy rock guitar solo is currently out of fashion, and what was once a staple of the rock charts, has largely died out these days; but there in Hans' orchestra, we were treated to the most amazing rock guitar solos. What a fantastic evolution of this otherwise dying art.
    - the orchestra were selected from Odessa, Ukraine. Only 10 could make it on the night, but what a beautiful symbol of defiance, that there they were, despite everything, entertaining us with their unquenchable talent. It spoke volumes for the power of music to refuse to be silenced.
    - 2 years ago, at the same venue, I watched the tribute band, 'The World of Hans Zimmer - a Symphonic Celebration', that was endorsed, but not attended by Hans. It was a great evening. But seeing the man himself, up there was something else. Imagine being able to pack out huge stadiums, night after night, the world over, with cinematic orchestral music. There can't be many others who could currently do this?
    - no conductor! Despite all kinds of tempo changes and complex rhythms, this orchestra had no need of a conductor! I love that Hans is up there himself, playing multiple instruments, not just waving a baton at others. I always feel the conductor gets too much of the credit, and seeing this magnificent orchestra perform perfectly without one, only strengthened this feeling.
    - the breadth of musical styles we were treated to was staggering. Hans' catalogue spans such a huge range of emotions and genres. What a legacy!
    - Hans' son was part of the team, as one of the camera crew - it was really touching, when Hans pointed him out to the audience. Incredibly, the guy who sings the opening African song in Lion King (apologies, I don't know his name): his daughter was also one of the main singers. I love that Hans calls his orchestra his family, and that this is really meaningful in such a tangible way.

Thank you Hans and team - it was the best nights' musical entertainment I have ever had. I believe his tour has now ended, and he will be taking a well deserved rest. But after that, I hope he does it again soon - I'll definitely be there again.

most likely Pedro Eustache? He's good!

Comment

The symbolism of the orchestra from Odessa performing despite challenges is truly inspiring. Music has a way of transcending barriers and uniting people. And it's great to hear that Hans himself played multiple instruments and didn't rely on a conductor. It shows his deep connection with the music.
      I recently organized a big event myself and realized the importance of attention to detail. Speaking of events, you might want to check out Santa Monica Event Sound Production. They offer some amazing services for creating spectacular shows.

Comment

Working...
      X